-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dice_Box
Art makes for quick identification of cards and a smoother game play. In fact for most of Legacy I feel you could play the game with just the cards art without any text or Mana cost and most of the experienced players would have no issue.
The number of judge calls I have received courtesy of all-foreign decks at competitive-REL events suggests otherwise :tongue:
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
I agree with the art thing. Sometimes I do need clarification on odd interaction with opposing foreign stuff, but generally it's fine. Invocations do slow me down though because they all look the same and I need to attempt to decipher the stupid font they chose to figure out what is being cast against me, but maybe it's just inexperience in not seeing those eye sores enough. But since they are so rare I probably won't ever see them that much. What I'm trying to say is that invocations are aids in cardboard form
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
I agree with the art thing. Sometimes I do need clarification on odd interaction with opposing foreign stuff, but generally it's fine. Invocations do slow me down though because they all look the same and I need to attempt to decipher the stupid font they chose to figure out what is being cast against me, but maybe it's just inexperience in not seeing those eye sores enough. But since they are so rare I probably won't ever see them that much. What I'm trying to say is that invocations are aids in cardboard form
what really pisses me about art/border change is that the ease of recognition was one of the arguments for initial frame change... then we get art changes for no other than financial reasons than infinite boarder changes for sake of doesntmatteranymore easy short/mid term marketing
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Mox Diamond being bought out again.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ParkerLewis
Mox Diamond being bought out again.
Are these worth more than real diamonds yet?
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Zllig
Are these worth more than real diamonds yet?
They are, because you didn't mention karat
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Nether Voids are disappearing everywhere
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
I'm getting back into the game and I've been putting together a couple decks. Prices are pretty bad, as most of you are aware. I made a spreadsheet a couple years ago of all staples and playables of the format to be my future buylist or goal of cards I wanted to acquire and posted it here. Anyway, I just found it and thought it was hilarious how some the prices have changed in a span of just over two years. Some are good from reprints but damn some have spiked. List.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Lemnear
Soooooo ... foil Mox Diamond jumped from 120€ to 500$ overnight thanks to a buyout of less than a dozen on TCG it seems. Ridiculous.
I guess I will put aside ~16 grand and buy up all LEDs this weekend, just to show how stupid easy to manipulate the current market it. Will be fun to see how everyone reacts if a RL card without promos is suddenly on shortage and priced like Unlimited Moxen. You have 2 days. Enjoy.
Glad I picked up a Jet on Wednesday! [emoji26]
Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Abyss buyout is over. I saw about 30 listed from one seller over the last 3 days. I reported to mkm in case they want to try to manage some of this behavior.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Jak
I'm getting back into the game and I've been putting together a couple decks. Prices are pretty bad, as most of you are aware. I made a spreadsheet a couple years ago of all staples and playables of the format to be my future buylist or goal of cards I wanted to acquire and posted it here. Anyway, I just found it and thought it was hilarious how some the prices have changed in a span of just over two years. Some are good from reprints but damn some have spiked.
List.
Welcome back!
Also, Bone Flute made the spreadsheet?
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ESG
Welcome back!
Also, Bone Flute made the spreadsheet?
Thank you, ESG!
Haha I have no idea why it would be there. I haven’t updated it in a long time. I had started adding whatever random stuff I saw from mtgtop8 and threads here, so it had to of showed up somewhere. Or I got trolled.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Man, with the way prices are rising recently I'm half-tempted to just sell my entire collection. I think I'd make something like a 200% profit on what I paid for my collection if I just dumped it all onto an online buylist... But I'm scared I'd be missing out on even more if I get rid of it now.
Turns out buying all those Kaladesh/Zendikar Masterpieces/Expeditions when they first came out wasn't a bad idea.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
I am very interested how this buyoutmadness is gonna end. I think there are alot of different peolpe trying to make money of the RL. Different people choosing different cards, I mean basically every card on the RL is spiking. Playabillity is only a marginal factor. Sure looks like a buble to me cause current the self fullfilling prophecy works: "Buy cards on the RL and you are sure to make money cause they are rising"
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
The mantra of "don't worry the RL cards are gold" is very similar to a lot of other precrash markets. Wonder why that is? :eyebrow:
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
MorphBerlin
I am very interested how this buyoutmadness is gonna end... Sure looks like a bauble to me
Hah! A bauble... I like that. :tongue:
Two months ago I was officially priced out of my goal of collecting a single copy of non-power from the earliest sets. So I've mentally come to terms with selling that part of my collection. I'm currently joining every Facebook group I can that acts as a marketplace for these cards.
I'm now dancing on the razors edge of 'waiting for the value to increase' and 'selling before others like me are similarly priced out'.
I don't think the buyout madness will end in a burst bubble... I suspect prices will continue to rise until the audience that is interested in such items shrinks and makes it difficult to turn cardboard into cash in a reliably quick and easy manner. At that time it becomes a poorer 'investment' and prices will somewhat stabilize and possibly contract. There's gotta be a point where someone who bought out Gwendlyn Di Corci realizes they'll never sell their 50 copies for $150 each...
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
Hah! A bauble... I like that. :tongue:
Two months ago I was officially priced out of my goal of collecting a single copy of non-power from the earliest sets. So I've mentally come to terms with selling that part of my collection. I'm currently joining every Facebook group I can that acts as a marketplace for these cards.
I'm now dancing on the razors edge of 'waiting for the value to increase' and 'selling before others like me are similarly priced out'.
I don't think the buyout madness will end in a burst bubble... I suspect prices will continue to rise until the audience that is interested in such items shrinks and makes it difficult to turn cardboard into cash in a reliably quick and easy manner. At that time it becomes a poorer 'investment' and prices will somewhat stabilize and possibly contract. There's gotta be a point where someone who bought out
Gwendlyn Di Corci realizes they'll never sell their 50 copies for $150 each...
Once upon a time I was trying to get playsets of every thing and I started with the oldest sets. I never did get all the way through Arabian Nights though, but I got close, because I never did manage to focus on just the one. So, now I have stupid things like three Libraries and other junk like three Nether Voids, which are stupidly expensive now. Thing is, while my plan will never come to fruition, I don't have any real incentive to sell. My job pays my bills, so, why sell now?
Even if the bubble bursts, I don't care, because I never bought them to make money, I bought them to play Magic.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
H
Once upon a time I was trying to get playsets of every thing and I started with the oldest sets. I never did get all the way through Arabian Nights though, but I got close, because I never did manage to focus on just the one. So, now I have stupid things like three Libraries and other junk like three Nether Voids, which are stupidly expensive now. Thing is, while my plan will never come to fruition, I don't have any real incentive to sell. My job pays my bills, so, why sell now?
Even if the bubble bursts, I don't care, because I never bought them to make money, I bought them to play Magic.
Still, if you miss out on an opportunity to maximize your return on these cards you missed out on a lot of extra cash. Sure, you have a job to pay your bills but missing out on thousands of dollars still sucks.
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
you can dump the 2 other libraries to finish playsets of other old cards. :)
-
Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
H
Once upon a time I was trying to get playsets of every thing and I started with the oldest sets. I never did get all the way through Arabian Nights though, but I got close, because I never did manage to focus on just the one.
Buy a booster box of Arabian Nights.
The Beauty of these old expansion sets is that EVERY Rare is in EVERY booster box ONCE. Back then you bought 4 boxes and had your playsets of every Rare.