I just run 2x Sinkhole for extra/Basic land destruction
Printable View
The problem with GQ is that you are at card disadvantage when you use it if your enemy has at least 4 basics in deck. It is hilarious to use against a deck that attempts to hide cards from a hymn to Tourach using Brainstorm. Counterbalance Decks can get screwed up if you GQ them in the middle of a trigger, though it depends on how much mana they have at the time. Crucible won't be countered if your enemy is in top deck mode due to countering your 16 other spells that 'must be countered'.
By including Crucible, I'll need more 'spell lands'. I've squeezed in Maze of Ith and Ghost Quarter and Cabal Pit into my current build. Hymn is back and my land count has dropped back to my 'usual' 24. Went from 2 Nether Spirit to 1 pre TC ban to 2 again. :eyebrow:
The Singleton crucible still gives me the freedom to ignore enemy graveyard hate. It's just an option, not a core method to this Pox flavor. Older lists I remember run 2-3 crucibles.
Omni, tnx for that info! I had completely missed that use for GQ. Sounds like I have some fun times to look forward too! 😸
are you on mono black hovercraft? i can justify 3 sinkholes but 2 seems amiss to me..can you explain your numbers?
and only 2 smallpox?
-there, fixed that..sorry, i was too tired to realize that i typed it wrong..
haven't tried the green splash..so i'm a bit green about splashing green(no pun intended).. :laugh:
I played a 67 player tournanemt on sunday. Went 15th place with 4-1-2.
This is the list I ended up playing:
Land
1x Cabal Pit
4x Marsh Flats
4x Mishra's Factory
6x Swamp
3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2x Verdant Catacombs
4x Wasteland
Enchantment
1x Night of Souls' Betrayal
Planeswalker
4x Liliana of the Veil
Sorcery
3x Hymn to Tourach
4x Innocent Blood
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Sinkhole
4x Smallpox
Artifact
1x Crucible of Worlds
2x Cursed Scroll
3x Sensei's Divining Top
Creature
1x Nether Spirit
Instant
4x Dark Ritual
1x Empty the Pits
Sideboard
1x Duress
1x Hymn to Tourach
3x Ensnaring Bridge
2x Extirpate
1x Night of Souls' Betrayal
2x Nihil Spellbomb
2x Spinning Darkness
2x Toxic Deluge
1x Trinisphere
I did not play Nether Void, as I didn't want to borrow one, and I could not get my hands on a Haunted Plate Mail before the tourney.
Ended up playing 4 Rituals and 24 lands instead of 3 Rituals and 25 lands, just because ^^ Couldn't say it made much of a difference.
Playing Rituals felt good, and I will keep them in my deck for a while again.
Round 1
Sneak & Show 1-1-1
Game 1: I manage to disrupt quite a bit, but he then Show and Tells Grieselbrand, draws 14 cards going down to 4, plays some mana and passes. I cant deal 4 damage but I can kill Grieselbrand.I put him at 2 life and have to pass. He drops Sneak Attack, and attacks for lethal with another Grieselbrand and Emrakul.
-1 NoSB, -1 Crusible, -3 SDT
+3 Ensnaring Bridge, +1 Duress, +1 Hymn to Tourach
Game 2: I have all the disruption I need and can put my opponent into top deck mode, without anything usefull on the board. And then I take ages to find a wincon and beat him.
Game 3: I know I cant win this anymore, because its not enough time, so I just mulligan to a save hand that can stall the game out. Show and Tell into Ensnaring Bridge is enough to not lose.
Round 2:
UWr Miracle 1-2
I know this deck quite well, as it is played by a good friend of mine. I hate playing against him (but he's not very happy about playing against me either). He ended up 2nd place.
Game 1: I manage to lock him out of having more than 3 lands in play. Most of the time he was on 2 lands. Factory beatdown does the rest. Sinkhole is amazing in this matchup, and small poxing a board with no creatures, if you know he has few lands, seems worth it (at least it worked for me in this game)
+1 Duress, +1 Hymn to Tourach, +1 Trinishpere (+1 NoSB, cant remember if I did this or not. He plays Snapcaster and Vendillion, so I might have boarded it in)
-3 (4) Innocent Blood
Game 2: He gets an early Countertop online, and I am mana screwed. I concede in order to have enough time for game 3.
Game 3: I can't disrupt him as much as I did game 1, but manage to keep his lands at 3. He has a Counterbalance in play, that shows me an Entreat the Angels. In his turn he casts Entreat for X=1. That lone Angel token kills me as I cant resolve any removal. I think he found a Top in addition to the Balance too while the Angel was beating me.
0 - 1 - 1 so far... not looking good.
Round 3:
UG Enchantress Pile 2-0
I know this deck a little. The guy playing it is from my local playgroup. It's a strange list, using Cloud of Faries and Seal of Removal in order to untap his lands. I have no idea how his deck is supposed to win ^^; But I know he doesnt win against me.
Game 1:
Discard and Sinkhole rip him appart. Just playing Pox by the book.
-1 Crucible, -2 SDT, +1 Duress, +1 Hymn to Tourach, +1 Trinisphere
Game 2:
Much the same as game 1. He had quite a strong hand, and could have started comboing turn 2, but IoK took his Enchantress.
2 - 0
Standing 1 - 1 - 1 now. Maybe I can still climb the ranks :D
Round 4:
UB ToporNought 2-0
Game 1: He starts his turn with USea into Gitaxian Probe. I put him on a combo deck. I have no 1cc discard, so I have to hope he doesnt combo turn 2. He doesnt, just plays a cantrip. My turn 2 I start casting small poxes, in order to keep him from going off. He is still just casting cantrips. After my 2nd Smallpox he discarded a Phyrexian Dreadnought, leaving me a bit confused. On his turn he then casts Topor Orb, and I finally get his deck. An IoK shows me a Daze and Spell Pierce in addition to more fatties. I know I have to get a Liliana out, in order to not be overwhelmed. Next turn he casts Dig through Time and Dreadnought, leaving him with no mana. Because of this mistake I can Dark Ritual my Liliana through his Daze, kill his Dreadnought, and win the game on the back of Lili.
Game 2:
+3 Ensnaring Bridge, -3 SDT
He lands an early Nought, I can kill it. I think he FoW'd my first Liliana, and he manages to go into top deck mode much faster than I do. Pox does its thing, and I win. Having Ensnaring Bridge in play was a nice bonus :D
Round 5:
Maverik & Taxes.. or Death & Maverik, dunno :D 1-1-1
Game 1: This was an exausting game. I could disrupt him early on, but he could get some damage through. I had NoSB in hand, but couldnt play it, becaus he had a Qasali Pridemage. I managed to get rid of it, and of all his lands, going down to 2 in the process. NoSB gave me some freedom (and my opponent some headache, as he threw 3 creatures into it everytime forgetting, they have -1/-1). I had Liliana in play, and felt quite save, but he found an Aether Vile that eventually led to me loosing.
+1 NoSB, +2 Spinning Darkness, +2 Toxic Deluge, -4 Dark Ritual, -1 X (I guess SDT or Crucible, cant remember)
Game 2: As exausting as game 1, but I cant remember much of this game. Smallpoxes and Sinkholes did much work, and Factories finished it.
Game 3: We had 3 Minutes left. I knew I would not win this, but neither could my opponent. Extra turns started turn 3. Nothing much happened. My opponent tried to get a win via Knight of the Reliquary + Dark Depth/Tespian Stage combo, but he didnt have the time.
Standing 2 - 1 - 2 now.
Round 6: RUG Delver 2-0
Game 1: On the play I keep an explosive hand, and start with Swamp, Dark Ritual, Liliana. He FoW's. He drops a Volcanic and passes. I play Wasteland, kill his Volcanic. He floats U, I go to combat in order to empty his pool. Second mainphase I Dark Ritual my Crucible. He looks unhappy. Wasteland/Crucible lock win the game.
+2 Spinning Darkness, +1 NoSB, -3 SDT
Game 2: He plays it save, just dropping lands and keeping his creatures in hand. Also he had a Pithing Needle in play, naming Liliana. When he finally had two creatues to play, I happened to have a Spinning Darkness, to deal with both of his creatures. Spinning Darkness his delver, so he has to sacrifice his Nimble Mongoose to Smallpox. He looks unhappy again. After I drop NoSB, he concedes.
3 - 1 - 2
Round 7: RIP/Helm Miracle 2-1
Game 1: Another Miracle list.. I hate it. I do what I can to disrupt him. He drops an early RiP, following up with Counterbalance and Top. I concede, in order to win game 2+3 in time.
+1 Trinisphere, +1 Hymn to Tourach, +1 Duress, -1 Empty the Pits, -1 Crucible, -1 Dark Ritual
Game 2: Sinkhole and Wasteland do amazing work, and keep him from doing much. He plays Pithing Needle naming Wasteland. I guess he was afraid of Crucible, because I already played 2 Wastelands. Naming Liliana or Mishras Factory would have been the better play. I get Liliana into play, and I can use her -6 two times, before I finally managed to kill him with Factories.
Game 3: He plays land + pass. I 1cc discard him, he brainstorms in response and shows me a hand with 6 lands.. *sigh* Unfortunally he never really drew anything else but lands. I attacked him with two factories. He managed to StP one of them, but the other finished the job.
Standing 4 - 1 - 2 resulting in 15th place of 67.
I'm quite happy with my result. If I had managed to get a win out of one the draws, I might even have gotten a price ^^
I really want to try Haunted Plate Mail instead of Empty the Pits, and I guess I'll use a 1 of Trinisphere main deck until I can get a Nether Void.
Senseis Divining Top is amazing in grindy matchups, but gets boarded out in a lot of matches where I dont need to prepare for late game, because my opponents dont have one.
Ensnaring Bridge did a lot for me. I got them a few days before the tournament, and this was the first time I played with them. Putting an Ensnaring Bridge into play with my opponents Show and Tell feels very satisfying :D
My List deviates a bit from a traditional Pox plan. I use Dark Depths as a win con with Living Wish and Loam to assemble it. I am also playing Mox Diamond and Chalice of the Void to get that Chalice on 1. Because of this I don't play any 1 drops myself. Exact numbers I am constantly tinkering with, but I actually only own 2 Sinkhole. I was kinda looking at Sinkhole/Smallpox as 4 cards in the same spot. I am open to any suggestions or comments though :)
1 Barren Moor
3 Bayou
3 Dark Depths
1 Forest
2 Swamp
3 Thespian's Stage
1 Tranquil Thicket
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland
1 Windswept Heath
4 Mox Diamond
2 Trinisphere
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Sinkhole
2 Smallpox
3 Hymn to Tourach
3 Liliana of the Veil
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Beast Within
1 Powder Keg
1 Toxic Deluge
3 Life from the Loam
4 Living Wish
1 Sylvan Library
Sideboard:
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Golgari Charm
1 Sphere of Resistance
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Dark Depths
1 Gatekeeper of Malakir
1 Glacial Chasm
1 Maze of Ith
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Reclamation Sage
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Tombstalker
1 Vampire Hexmage
CARDINAL SIN! :eek: YOU never say Sinkhole and Smallpox can be in the same spot! :mad: BB to kill a land or BB to kill a Land, creature, and Hand... omg! BB S.Pox also says screw your fetchland :laugh:
Seriously though, if you only have space for it, go 4 Smallpox, don't worry about the Sinkhole. :cool:
@ Charon: nice job! Haunted Plate Mail should be ok... I've never tried it myself, but people have tested it with positive results. One question: what is Mav & Taxes?
I'd like to play Bitter Ordeal..
Unlike Extirpate it can remove cards not yet n play, and pox feed the gravestorm.
Fetch land, play cabal therapy, sacrifice recuring creature to flashback therapy, play wasteland, play Bitter Ordeal.
For decks like miracles it would be GG:tongue:
That would be so funny. Hope you get it to work.
Sideboard update:
Leyline of Sanctities getting you down? Are free brainstorms from Jace getting on your nerves? Do you feel helpless when an enemy just shuts off your best abilities and Liliana with a God darned Pithing needle? Normally sideboard is best for things like extreme combo. Either they Dredge rush you with 50 zombie tokens, you get stomped by Empty the Warrens, or they SneakShow your skull.
Control is an issue for me since they can go long games and it's hard for a Pox shell to have a 'safe' form of inevitability. TC getting banned does help. New sideboard for my meta.
2 Pithing Needle
3 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Engineered Plague
2 Extirpate
3 Relic of Progenitus
1 The Rack
1 Underworld Dreams
If I find Liliana getting pinned by an enemy Jace backed by Pithing Needle, I may change out one Relic for Oppression/Bottomless Pit. Against control, having more 'hard to kill' win conditions seems the right call. We can't really increase our killing speed with things like Tombstalker and I can't build an effective 'Aggro' Pox. Game against combo is good, but having more ways to kill my control deck enemy seemed to work better than board nuking.
Know of any other alt-win cons that don't target players below 3 cmc? :mad: Rack is superior to Shrieking Afflictions due to the Planeswalker killing ability.
Chimeric Idol @3. Haunted Plate Mail if you can swing 4.
Death Pulse is not bad. Could be played through a Nether Void too.
I did try Haunted Platemail before but the 4 cmc hurted much. :eek: Despite that, I have Nether Spirit on the field often and equipping the spirit with the PM is pricey as well.
Idol effectively nullifies Cursed Scroll and Mishra's Factory (CS I've found is always best used on enemy's turn, but if you're Chimeric slapping him, the Scroll can't work and you burn mana on your turn making it hard to disrupt using whatever you top decked)
I think if I ran 62 cards, I could fit in the Idol, though I'm uncomfortable going above 60. OCD and all that lol.
I don't want my threat suite to drop below 8 cards. Though I really do miss that Idol. I'd probably end up having to remove Crucible and would need to carve bit of the deck from an angle to make it work. I think the reason Mishra's is one of the staples in Pox archetype is solely due to the extremely high number of disruption spells and all we have 'left to work with' is land, hence man-land threats and land-spells like Bokuja bog and Wasteland.
You think removing my 'bombs' that are Night of Souls' Betrayal and Engineered Plague maindeck would work? NoSB has pulled heavy weight in games. Best top deck in the universe I had was against a Thopter Foundry/sword of the Meek deck [laugh] that recovered and had lethal on board AND WHAM, NoSB, he scooped laughing his ass off when it hit.
http://www.mtgtwincast.com/Articles/...PoxPrimer.html
Very old 'classic' list, but making room for Liliana is easy. I do appreciate his old school sideboard. Warning* Nostalgia rush! :laugh: He runs Mishra's and Idol... :eek:
If you really need more cheap threats, could just up the manland count? Add Mutavault maybe? I still like Tombstalker too, but I know you said you wanted something different
Phyrexian Totem is kinda like chimeric idol, but with a different drawback.
Mimic Vat as long as your opponent has creatures
Thanks for the inputs everyone. Behold, Ancient Pox. Some pros and cons follow...
Win Conditions (8)
2 Nether Spirit
2 Chimeric Idol
1 Phyrexian Totem
3 Mishra's Factory
Pox FX (9)
4 Innocent Blood
4 Smallpox
1 Pox
Targeted Disruption (17)
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Sinkhole
4 Wasteland
1 Ghost Quarter
Planeswalker (4)
4 Liliana of the Veil
Utility and Nukes (3)
1 Engineered Plague
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
1 Crucible of Worlds
Mana and Land (19)
4 Dark Ritual
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Maze of Ith
1 Cabal Pit
9 Snow-Covered Swamp
Sideboard
2 Pithing Needle
1 The Rack
1 Underworld Dreams
3 Engineered Plague
3 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Extirpate
3 Relic of Progenitus
Pros: Deck is Pithing Needle resistant, can cast disruption and deal damage with less lands on field. Faster clocks. Extra SB threats for Planeswalkers, draw engines, and no 'target' clauses. Maze of Ith is great for threats too big to handle otherwise.
Cons: Less recurring removal in Cabal Pit/Crucible combo instead of Cursed Scroll/Liliana combo. Threats are blockable game 1 vs. old Cursed Scroll builds which are "unblockable" so to speak. Can't attack with Mishra & Chimeric simultaneously.
At first glance, the lack of a cursed scroll could be problematic, but being able to stomp their skulls with a Phyrexian Negator instead of a miserable 2 damage is satisfying. :laugh:
I just like Haunted Plate Mail out of those. Like Mishra's more than Idol and HPM is safe from Lightning Bolt while one of those against Totem is bad. You have to have a Swords. I know what you mean about the 4 mana though. It is a problem for Abyss, Nether Void and NoSB too. I find Diving Top is usefull here as you can keep it floating a couple cards deep in the draw and then draw and play it when you can and draw business or something you don't mind discarding. Here is my current Mono-black Pox.
Pox
1 Nether Spirit
4 Liliana of the Veil
1 The Abyss
1 Haunted Plate Mail
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Cursed Scroll
2 Crucible of Worlds
3 Dark Ritual
4 Innocent Blood
4 Inquisition of Kozaliek
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Sinkhole
4 Smallpox
1 Pox
24 land
4 Wasteland
10 Swamp
2 Cabal Pit
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Mishra's Factory
Side
3 Ratchet Bomb
3 Pithing Needle
1 Night of Soul's Betrayal
2 Engineered Plague
2 Trinisphere
4 Leyline of the Void
What was interesting when I played it last it was against a Deadguy type build and I ended the game with a Crucible of Worlds in play 5 lands and a Cabal Pit -Crucible holding off Bitterblossom tokens as they entered play and a Cursed Scroll picking away for the win. I feel like I could use a third Scroll for the occasional Abrupt Decay.
4 Bloodghast
4 gravecrawler
4 mardu shadowspear
4 bloodsoaked champion
1 filth
2 geralf's messenger
1 withered wretch
2 death's shadow
3 inquisition of kozilek
4 Pox
4 gitaxian probe
4 cabal therapy
1 buried alive
1 snuff out
2 mishra's factory
3 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
3 wasteland
9 swamp
1 dark ritual
4 chrome mox
With the new 1cc creature, Mardu Shadowspear, i thought i should make a fast aggro deck.
Play creatures, play discard and play Pox. In that order
Hey Guys,
i´m pretty sure this has been discussed before, but since I'm new to Pox, i have to ask about Bitterblossom as a WinCon? It´s hard to remove, cmc 2 and even without Equipment, it provides us with an endless stream of faeries.
Furthermore, i´m surprised that i see so few copies of The Abyss in Pox Decks, even in Sideboards. Isn´t this a viable card for sideboards or even maindecking since it only hits our recurring Nether Spirit?
Same goes for the god ol`Nether Void. Always thought this is a must for this kind of Deck.
I've never tried bitter blossom but because of abrupt decay and councils judgement a lot of decks can remove it reasonably easily. The life loss is also a concern, a deck like RUG delver might just be able to burn you out before you kill them because of it.
As for the Abyss and Nether Void not seeing play, in the dark I'm going to guess it is because of price. Both are very expensive and see play in almost no other decks so I can't imagine a lot of players out there really want to fork over a collected $600 for 1 of each of those two cards.
$ price tags should never be discussed or mentioned in this forum. That's for budget building. What matters is a card's usefulness. The problem with the Abyss is both the casting cost and it's weaker power level. Pay 4 cmc to kill one of their threats, or use NoSB to kill many if not all of their threats? Streams of creatures usually mean a bunch of 1/1s or 2/2s hitting. NoSB halves or stops all the damage. After proxy testing Nether Void, I realize that Crucible Waste-lock (and G. Quarter for basics) is actually more mana friendly and frustrating to deal with. I could run Nether Void with Crucible locking but I'm VERY tight on space as is. N. Void has no immediate effect. Crucible, if I didn't play my land that turn instantly gives me back my C. Pit or W.land and blam, more disruption.
The fact that bitter blossom can be killed by Abrupt Decay is a moot point. So can Crucible, so can Liliana, so can Cursed Scroll. So does that mean we should NEVER run cards that can be killed? Why's Tarmogoyf so damn popular? He can be killed for 2 or less mana as well. A card isn't 'unplayable' just because it can be killed or countered. It's real problem is that it puts the caster on a clock for very little return. You going to put Umezawa's Jitte for your faeries to use? When I see 1/1 swarm decks, I laugh maniacally inside. However, Pox historically has problems being an aggro-control hybrid, of which I gave up on. I don't advocate Bitterblossom, but hey, maybe you'll go further? I've tried, failed, and don't want to waste my energy on it.
I've decided on removing 'nuke everything' sideboard cards to simply dodging the problem. Player can't be targeted? Pick threats that don't care. Pithing needle me? Pithing this, fool! (plays The Rack) But they're drawing too many cards! Chains of Mephistopheles stalls, Underworld Dreams KILLS! It's quite the predicament. :cry:
Are any of you aggro playing Poxers hyped about Tasigur, the Golden Fang? A black Legendary Tarmogoyf for 1 cmc sounds good. He may shrink enemy goyfs as well. His ability is solid for Loam Poxers I'm sure.
Hello, I played against a MBC this week end.
Not sure about the entire list, but he was doing pretty well. As I met him on the last round at (we were both at 3 wins - 2 losses).
4 liliana
4 Innocent blood
4 Smallpox
4 HTT
4 TS
4 Infernal contract
4 Geth's verdict
4 Soul spike
3 Gate keeper of Malakir
3 Demigod of Revenge
14 swamp
4 Cabal Pit
2 Barren Moor
1 Urborg, Tomb of yawgmoth
1 Lake of the Dead
It is not a pure traditional pox list but don't fool yourself it was 3 games of pure attrition war.
Those infernal contract + soul spike are insane... And I died G2 on a resolved Demigod which brought back his brothers...
If anyone is interested in trying something new, I thought I should share what I saw.
So I imagine with the banning of treasure cruise pox is better positioned in today's meta. A while back I was successful with "eight rack" pox and I'm planning on bringing it to my lgs in the next couple weeks. Most recently I saw a lot of 12post and rwu nemesis type decks along with other random delver decks. Deck list is as follows.
Artifacts:8
The rack x 4
Ensnaring bridge x 4
Discard spells:13
Inquisition of kozilek x 4
Thoughtseize x 4
Hymn to tourach x 4
Ravens crime x 1
Pox effects:5
Small pox x 4
Pox x 1
Other stuff:12
Liliana of the veil x 4
Innocent blood x 4
Shrieking affliction x 4
Land:22
Swamp x 19
Tomb of yawg x 3
(Would like some advice on other utility lands)
Sideboard: 15
Torpor orb x 2
Chains x 1 ( I think this should be two.)
Lotv x 4
Toxic deluge x 2
Unmask x 2
Ratchet bomb x 2
Pithing needle x 2
Board is up in the air, again the meta was a lot of post and lame delver/nemesis rwu boringness. All comments are appreciated and considered, thanks!
Why no Wastelands?
In my thinking I want the opponent to be able to play spells to lessen the cards in their hand. Pox, innocent blood type stuff should clean up the remaining mess. Also, I don't know of any non-basics that sway my game plan. Never have I really wanted wasteland when playing this deck in my experience, I may be wrong though in my philosophy though.
I always saw Pox as a resource denial deck, so destroying their hand with discard and their mana base with land destruction. Running Sinkhole isn't necessary in my opinion but Wasteland + Smallpox can destroy a deck so hard, especially if you're on the play. I think it's worth it to run the Wastelands, it's not about utility land which you can destroy (which also can be nice but not the reason why you run it). You run it so that they can never carry out their game plan. Either their hand is destroyed or they can't cast anything. And it's not like the Wastelands would go into the spell spot in this deck, you can just run 13 Swamps, 4 Urborg, 4 Wasteland.
Have you guys tried 4 surgical extraction maindeck?
With discard and LD i think we could use it two ways: Aiming for the lands or the cards in the grave that are important for the opponent.
Against combo we can make them discard a piece of the combo and surgical it
Against control we can get rid of a card or try to disrupt the lands targeting fetchs or duals in the grave after a smallpox
Against aggro it can remove troublesome creatures after they hit the graveyard
What do you think?