A 2 damage body can make a huge difference, look how often trinket mage gets there.
Printable View
A 2 damage body can make a huge difference, look how often trinket mage gets there.
With as much burn+sligh+aggro running around here, every life point is precious hence only 4 fetches + no bob + max finks.
Hi.
I got to try a deck like this a little while ago, and I really liked playing it. A friend helped throw it together pretty quickly before a tourny so it wasn't exactly polished lol, but the deck played very solid.
What does everyone think about a list like this?
***********
Deadguy Ale *
***********
v1.1
Land (22)
4 waste
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Polluted Delta
4 Scrubland
7 Swamp
1 Plains
Creatures (10)
4 Dark Confidant
4 Hypnotic Specter
2 Exalted Angel
Sorcery (22)
4 Dark Ritual
2 Armageddon
4 Vindicate
4 Sinkhole
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Duress
Instant (6)
2 Extirpate
4 Swords to Plowshare
=SIDEBOARD=
4 Leyline the Void
4 Engineered Plague
4 Engineered Explosives
3 Circle of Protection: Red
Last time I'd used shades & bitterblossoms, which weren't quite as helpful, maybe it was just the matchups.. however, I did use extirpate which got a LOT of use and literally saved my arse a few games lol. I also had used factories over wastelands... and didn't run sinkholes either.
This time I'm sorta thinking of going the other way, total mana denial route. This isn't really too far off from most lists I saw actually, but my idea was to make it so they have a tough time playing their spells, get ahead with BOB/Specter, then Armageddon and ride that ftw.
Any thoughts?
I would use Marsh Flats instead of Mires/Deltas. I am also a fan of SDT with Bob. I might cut the Dark Rituals for them because with my experiences with Dark Ritual. They are a great card in the first 2-3 turns, then becomes a dead draw after that. Top does take away from some explosiveness but I would prefer consistency over explosiveness.
run baneslayer angel... its just straight up better than exalted angel in every way.
My take on Bw confidant lists. First I was designing a Vampire deck but I finally got disappointed with the Dark Depth combo, then with bloodghasts (very good against control, but so bad against aggro...). So that I finally kept only the MVP Gatekeeper of Malakir and Vampire Nighthawk. Let's finish talking. I'm here right now:
I want 2 slots of creatures I could sacrifice without much problem. I tried Orzhov Pontiff, but it's too weak in too many MUs. I could run also Raise the Alarm. It's not bad as a surprise blocker in quite a lot of MUs and as jitte carriers. Jotun Grunt might be the obvious choice: after the last attack, I sac it to cabal therapy. Mother of Runes looks also like a nice option. I really can't make my mind on what's best. I even considered Temple Acolyte as good jitte carrier, and a creature I could sacrifice easily to cabal therapy. What's your oppinion about this?Quote:
// Lands
6 [P2] Swamp (3)
1 [ON] Polluted Delta
2 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
2 [AT] Plains (1)
4 [B] Scrubland
2 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
2 slots
3 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
// Spells
2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
2 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
4 [AP] Vindicate
3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
// Sideboard
SB: 3 [6E] Perish
SB: 4 [7E] Engineered Plague
SB: 4 [GP] Mortify
SB: 2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 2 [US] Planar Void
What about mother of the rune ? It can protect dark or tidehollowQuote:
I want 2 slots of creatures I could sacrifice without much problem. I tried Orzhov Pontiff, but it's too weak in too many MUs. I could run also Raise the Alarm. It's not bad as a surprise blocker in quite a lot of MUs and as jitte carriers. Jotun Grunt might be the obvious choice: after the last attack, I sac it to cabal therapy. Mother of Runes looks also like a nice option. I really can't make my mind on what's best. I even considered Temple Acolyte as good jitte carrier, and a creature I could sacrifice easily to cabal therapy. What's your oppinion about this?
Yep, Mother of Runes or some persisting creature come to mind. I would add a lone Volrath's Stronghold too.
I tested a lot Volrath and it was more a problem of not having B than a use in long games. I'm not even decided for plains#2.
Finks is maybe another option (but it's a bit expensive). Yesterday I tried a bit Jotun but I've never drawn it, so difficult to say what I would have liked to see.
The deck does not have a lot of good turn 2 play:
- Tidehollow
- DC
- Top (play and activate it)
It odesn't even make it good againt spell snare since I play a lot of 2CC that I don't want by turn 2 (jitte, Grim Discovery, Gatekeeper of Malakir and Jotun if I play it).
Other ideas in these 2 slots:
- Withered Wretch
- Nantuko Shade
Maybe 1 of each, as they are bad in multiple, very mana extensive and both face Tarmogoyf with not much of a problem.
I like your setup of utilizing Therapy and Jitte. It looks good. As to turn two - I would say a decent and realistic play would be Therapy, Swords -if you ran it. I'm sure you have tested and rejected Swords, but are you sure it doesnt fit? Maybe cut back on Vindicates?
How does Grim Discovery feel? Is it stellar or decent or?
I think your list looks a bit heavy on the 3cc + Elspeth, especially running 21 lands. Maybe cut 2 of the 3cc critters, and thereby make room for both full Swords and Vindicates? This of course collides with your desire of getting more creatures in the mix. Raise the Alarm, or if your manabase could support it, Spectral Procession, seems good.
Edit: What about Bitterblossom?
5 SwampThresh
4 WastelandThresh
4 Scrubland
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Marsh Flats
4 Tombstalker
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Dark Confidant
4 Dark Ritual
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hymn to Torach
4 Sinkhole
4 Vindicate
3 Sensei's Divining Top
Jotun Grunt is definitely what I needed. It's good against aggro/sligh, being a tempo factor (it's a 4/4 wall during 2 turns at least). The time I find and play my best cards (Nighthawk, jitte and Elspeth). It's good against control, because it prevents graveyard recursion (or at least it makes it more difficult). It can also end a game pretty fast with Elspeth on the board.Quote:
// Lands
6 [P2] Swamp (3)
1 [ON] Polluted Delta
2 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
2 [AT] Plains (1)
4 [B] Scrubland
2 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
2 [CS] Jötun Grunt
3 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
// Spells
2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
2 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
4 [AP] Vindicate
3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
// Sideboard
SB: 3 [6E] Perish
SB: 4 [7E] Engineered Plague
SB: 4 [GP] Mortify
SB: 2 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 2 [US] Planar Void
Moreover, it's ok with cabal therapy (because I can sacrifice it after the last strike) and with Grim Discovery (since I can resurrect it once it's dead).
I'm really enjoying this list. It played a LOT of anti-creatures and it has really nice weapons to beat control (discard + Vindicate + Elspeth). The MU against combo are clearly its weakness. I've already experienced several times that 12 targetted discards were not enough. I would need some SB solutions, trinisphere and canonist are probably the best options, but as my meta has almost no combo deck, I prefer to keep it as it is.
You are almost exclusively running cc2 creatures. Would not Vial be an interesting addition?
Would even make a green-splash (2 Bayous - 4 Goyfs) supportable.
With 12 discard spells and 2 Grim Discovery, I don't really fear counterspells on creatures and Gatekeeper is definitely not combo with vial. Moreover, my expensive spells are noncreature, meaning that vial could only replace active spells (and not lands). Definitely not a vial deck.
@Maverick: How are you finding Vampire Nighthawk as compares to Hypnotic Spectre? I ended up dropping Hippie due to fragility in my burn heavy meta, but since I like new shiny things Nighthawk caught my eye as a possible replacement.
-Mono
Hello,
greeting all.
As I have said in “Introduce yourself here”, I play this deck for about four years. With it I went to Eurovino4 of Milan (tournament of 300 players around), more sympathy for it, because I was really convinced to win, in fact I had already almost finished the Eva Green deck building: in Italy long is the conviction that Deadguy is no longer competitive now.
Instead, although the tournament has gone wrong, I was very surprised by the performance of the deck. I lost because I haven’t assembled Tormod’s crypt, & I chose to use the version Bw with nantuko shade, instead of Bwg version, with Tarmogoyf. The nantuko shade is a useful card only around the fifth turn, therefore it’s unable to deal all new fast beaters of the format.
For this reason I decided to try again to develop this project, but since in Italy it does not receive consideration, I hope to find in you the most interested speakers.
I ask only one thing: you don’t tell me to give up hypnotic specter & sinkhole, without a very good argument, becouse for this reason I decided to get away by Brian Kowal deck-list (top 8 to Chicago GP).
In summary, the deck builds its cards on four areas:
- Mana-denial (sinkhole, vindicate, wasteland)
- Hand-denial (hymn to tourach, thoughtseize, hypnotic specter)
- Board control (swords to plowshares, vindicate, hypnotic specter)
- Manabase.
For this reason it has a bad top deck, becouse it will always statistical average of one good card on four, however the deck remedy it, because, for same average, I will be sure to drow at least 2-3 game-breaker spells in ten cards of first three turns of game.
In this card advantage strategy, specter & sinkhole have the merit, for various reasons, to have a constant trend in the deck even in advanced stage of the game; I have tried many lists without specter & sinkhole, but the deck has proven to be unable to compete with the strategies of metagame's card advantage.
Actually I had already taken countermeasures to improve the drow-engine in mid-late game:
1_ Sensei’s divining top: there is not much to say about this card.
2_ A Nassif-style sideboard: this kind of sideboard can add to 7-8 cards in each match up. More particulary Deadguy can maximize this side to get 2 benefits:
One quality, because it improves the drow-engine.
One in time optical, becouse it adds one or two bombs to be used in early-mid game.
After Eurovino 4, the last point concerned the addition of Tarmogoyf. Even this case I don’t think I have to many explanations.
This is my deck-list:
MANA: 21 slots
4 marsh flats
3 bloodstained mire
3 swamp
1 plains
3 scrubland
3 bayou
4 wasteland
BEATERS: 13 slots
4 dark confidant
4 tarmogoyf
4 hypnotic specter
1 tombstalker
SPELLS: 26 slots
1 engineered explosives
4 thoughtseize
4 dark ritual
3 swords to plowshares
2 sensei’s divining top
4 hymn to tourach
4 sinkhole
4 vindicate
SIDEBOARD: 15 slots
2 engineered plague
2 infest
2 extirpate
1 perish
1 duress
1 tomb of urami
1 enlightened tutor
1 bitterblossom
1 tormod’s crypt
1 circle of protection: red
1 umezawa’s jitte
1 trinisphere/sadistic sacrament
I don't think have to much explanation, in the sense that many choices are intuitive, like having 2 extirpate, 1 enlightened tutor, 1 tormod’s crypt vs Ichorid or 1 duress, 2 extirpate, 1 enlightened tutor, 1 trinisphere vs Ad nauseam. I explain the most important choices (and relevant doubts):
- Infest: Engineered Plague needs a support in the Merfolks match up. Infest is also very useful against Kira and Magus of the moon.
- Tomb of Urami: is one of the most important cards of my side, for that I believe we need a minimum of interaction with the manabase. It function is to set the manabase vs. time-deck (also vs. Stax and Loam) with 22 slots, allowing one hand to circumvent the manadenial to Stifle & Wasteland, and on the other side to death cards like daze (with mana more advancing in each round), spell snare (with dropp 1 and 3), possibly it get out tombstalker from Relic of Progenitus. Urami is not necessary, but often have a chance to activate the demon in response to a fetch, with ritual, or maintain 2 or 3 lands between the hand and the top of the library. I consider it the best mana-fixer available, but now I use a tricolor list & I ask if basic swamp is better.
- Bitterblossom: I need another hate to support Tarmogoyf vs aggro.deck. Some time I used Jotun Grunt, but its slow collides with a Nassif-style sideboard.
I was thinking of using it vs Landstill, Dragon Stompy, Stax & Zoo, but for now I am not able to test it.
- Trinisphere: I need a new combo-hate, some time I used thorn of amethyst, it worked very well, but it was the failure to raise the converted mana cost of Vindicate. Sadistic sacrament does not exploits enlightened tutor, but I haven’t tested it.
@Morgothar:
Your deck looks solid to me so I'm just going to throw out some possible substitutions that you could try...
Mirri's Guile instead of Sensei's Divining Top
(-) its easier to disrupt
(+) less mana investment
Gargoyle Castle instead of Tomb of Urami
(-) smaller creature, more mana to activate, doesn't make B, doesn't fill GY for tombstalker or tarmogoyf
(+) doesn't wipe out your lands
Thats all I got...
Thank you for answers,
sensei is very important for my manabase, because it isn't color-intensive.
The same thing is the tomb of Urami: I chosen it, because it gives black mana and it will not enter tapped; his drawback is not a problem, because I use it only in mana-flood case.
I think Gargoyle Castle is better in a crucible of worlds-deck.
Well, doubt on this card does not come for his drawback, but because I ask if may have a better response to Dragon Stompy in that slot. I ask if I can let unchanged the setting, use 4 swamp main deck & 1 plains in sideboard, or change Urami with a swamp. In the last 2 cases, however, I will not have a remedy to the mana-flood.
Finally, I would ask you if you have tested Bitterblossom vs Aggro match up already.
My questions are if to have 2 Jotun Grunt is better (I remove 1 Tormod's Crypt), or to have 1 more engineered explosives in sideboard.
Vial is not needed. It's better to have in this kind of aggo-control deck cards that do something that ONLY put creatures into play.
I have been playing 4x Hypnotic Specter for a long time and started to cut them (now I play 2 of them). In my build now 2 Hypnotics do more than 2 Nighhawks. It's just my choice of creature that do the most for me.
Mirri's Guile is worse than Sensei in many ways. You often want to search for basics and having Guile on first hand is a counter to this strategy. Also there is no option to manipulate during turns which is huge drawback.
Hmm, I think that in order to improve aggro matchup we need:
a) more creatures+jitte
b) more removal
Now I play +1x Smother [better than 1x Diabolic Edict in (my)meta at this moment] and +1x Pernicious Deed MB and 2x Engineered Explosives SB. Works good now. 1x Bitterblossom would be in SB maybe if I see that meta diversed to a state when Enlightened Tutors + 1x's in SB is a way.
Last Saturday I won a small (25 people) tournament. We played five rounds and then split in top4.
1st round: 2-1 Reanimator
2nd round: 2-1 Zoo (should be 2-0 but I made a mistake)
3rd round: 2-1 nonLED-Dredge - finished 2nd
4th round: 2-1 Aggro Loam - finished 3rd
5th round: 2-1 UW Fish
Top4 decklists: http://www.deckcheck.net/event.php?e...Poznan+14%2F11
My decklist:
4 Scrubland
4 Bayou
4 Marsh Flats
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Polluted Delta
4 Wasteland
2 Swamp
1 Plains
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Hypnotic Specter
3 Tombstalker
4 Dark Ritual
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Smother
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Vindicate
1 Pernicious Deed
3 Sensei's Divining Top
Sideboard:
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Engineered Plague
3 Krosan Grip
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Choke
1 Perish
My meta was quite blue and grave dependant, 0 combo. I chose to play this kind of SB than some staples + E. Tutors+Silver Bullets this time.
I agree, in fact I have slightly modified my deck-list, but umezawa’s jitte is very difficult to keep in battlefield for qasali pridemage. I added 1 more perish & engineered explosives in sideboard. The MU vs aggro deck is not very bad, except Zoo. Post side, however, with 2 EE and 2 Perish, I believe that it can become playable. Unfortunately, until mid-December, in my area there will be not tournaments, so I must work much play testing with my team.
Compliments.
I have some notes for you.
1. Place 2 more Hypnotic Specter instead of 2 tombstalker.
A) I understand that the stalker is very, very strong, but we need to minimize the probability of self-lose. With a tricolor manabase, we have high chances of going to screw in 1 match on 10. If we add our other 2 stalker, would increase the chances of losing because of the dark confidant.
B) Hypnotic specter is an excellent partner for Tarmogoyf; if it is used in the first round, we can protect hands with so many duals, because the opponent will be forced to break it, instead of going through wasteland. These probabilities are not marginal, because the chances of the deck manabase tend to have (for the worse in the first 10 cards) or 3 land or 2 dark ritual & 1 land.
C) A lower presence of stalker allows you to play 1 land less (I shall return to this point).
In the extreme case, if your metagame is very aggressive, you could try this configuration of creatures:
2 dark confidant
4 tarmogoyf
4 hypnotic specter
2 tombstalker
+1 umezawa’s jitte/engineered explosives
2. I think Engineered Explosives is better than Pernicious deed on this deck: it is more flexible, fast and not affected by the color screw (we haven’t manafixers of TheRock). It allows you to select the best permanent to be destroyed.
3. I think that 22 lands are too many: 'Goyf in comparison with Nantuko Shade and Tombstalker has lowered considerably the virtual speed and manacurve of the deck. I think we can maximize manabase bringing to 4 the swamps, so you have 8 sources of black mana (with Dark Ritual).
Did fairly well last week with a Deadguy shell running the Hexmage/Depths combo. I also posted this in New/Developmental decks but that thread seems more focused on decks centering around the combo, whereas this one just has it as an alternate win condition. Here's the list:
4 Vampire Hexmage
3 Gatekeeper of Malakir
3 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Tombstalker
4 Dark Confidant
4 Dark Ritual
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Thoughtseize
3 Vindicate
2 Swords to Plowshares
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Verdant Catacombs
2 Marsh Flats
4 Scrubland
8 Swamp
3 Wasteland
4 Dark Depths
Sideboard:
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Engineered Plague
4 Extirpate
3 ??
I had just switched from a green splash, so the ?? was 2 Disenchants and a Sadistic Sacrament to replace 3 Krosan Grips, but I'm thinking those spots need to go towards stopping or slowing down combo, maybe Thorn of Amethyst or something. If you don't think this belongs in the Deadguy thread, let me know and I'll delete it.
You would benefit from a couple Urborgs, I think.
Hi guys i have been out of Magic for quite a while and i really would like to play in a tournament in january. I would like to play a B/W Handdestruction Deck likewise the Pikula Deck but i really don't know what cards should be in it so please comment and exucse my bad english iam not a native speaker.
Creatures:
4 Vampire Nighthawk ( should i play Hypnotic Specter? )
4 Oona's Prowler
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Dark Confidant
2 Withered Wretch
Spells:
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Duress ( i would prefer Thoughtseize but i have no money left )
4 Vindicate
4 Dark Ritual
3 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Sinkhole/Smother/Swords to Plowshares ??!?!?! Don't know what to put in
Manabase:
8 Swamps
4 Scrubland
4 Wasteland (should i play 4 with all of this bb cost's )
4 Bloodstained Mire
Sideboard: ( just a first idea, i really don't know )
4 Null Rod
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Engineered Plague
2 Withered Wretch
1 Sinkhole/Swords to Plowshares/Smother
I think the idea should be clear, massive disruption and then beat him to the ground. I don't know if i should play Vampire Nighthawk or Hypnotic Specter but i guess Nighthawk is much better in the lategame. Anymore i don't know wether Oona's Prowler is a good choise but i think he is still a 3/1 Flyer and supports the Deck.I love Sinkhole but i don't know if i should play something else instead. So please just say what you think about the Deck i think i really need help with the sideboard.
@ Fexor: I would honestly play Hyppie in place of the Oona's Prowler.
I again played Deadguy Ale in our legacy league to a nice finish. After six rounds I was first. In top8 we played one round which I also won and made a split in top4.
1st round: 2-0 W Stax
2nd round: 0-2 Pro Bant
3rd round: 2-1 Rg Goblins
4th round: 2-0 Affinity
5th round: 2-0 UBW Trinket-Stalker
6th round: 2-1 Wishless Loam
top8: 2-0 Burn
Decklist (the same):
http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=30920
:)
Definitely I think Hypnotic Specter is superior to Vampire Nighthawk in this deck. You want disruption not life gain. Plus its a must answer card... a darkritual into specter 1st turn is often game over if the opponent can't kill it immediately.
Also I'd try to find a way to add the last sinkhole... maybe -1 jitte (move it to SB) and +1 sinkhole.
@ Deviruchi
if this is the list you posted Ive got some questions for ya...
4 Scrubland
4 Bayou
4 Marsh Flats
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Polluted Delta
4 Wasteland
2 Swamp
1 Plains
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Hypnotic Specter
3 Tombstalker
4 Dark Ritual
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Smother
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Vindicate
1 Pernicious Deed
3 Sensei's Divining Top
1. Out of Curiosity why are you playing with 1 smother?
2. Why only 1 Deed? is that a meta call?
Personally I really like Nighthawks because they always seem useful, when Hippie is really best early game. Even with just 4x Hymn and 4x Thoughtseize, I often find discard to be a dead draw in the mid/late game against a lot of decks. At that point Hippie is usually just a chump blocker, whereas Nighthawk is at least creature removal with a couple extra life.
Hi
1. Some time ago I was playing with +1 Duress because I needed more 1st turn disruption. Now I feel I need 1 more removal:
a) to target something big and scary (when there is P.Dreadnought and T.Mage/M.Factory so no Diabolic Edict).
b) to target Dark Confidant (so no Snuff Out).
c) to kill something without giving any shuffle and mana advantage (so no Path to Exile).
It works well and also is a suprise when you have no white mana or tapped. My metagame is full of aggro-control and aggro. Sometimes I wish I have D.Edict vs. Iona [naming white (Swords+Vindicate) or vs. Ninja of the Deep Hours but as a +1 removal Smother works better than Edict. I don't need and can't affort to cut 1-2 more cards to replace Smother and add more D.Edicts. Also there are more situations where Smother shines over Edict and I need +1 removal so this selection was purely economical.
2. Yes, this is part of solution to the metagame but also the cure for some tough moments. I always felt this deck needs sweepers (vs. Empty the Warrens, Nimble Mongoose, aggro and so on). Some time ago I was using EE and I also added G color to have the opportunity to cast EE for 3 mana and for Krosan Grip. Then I started testing Deed as a 1x MB and 1-2x SB. EE in SB works better in a variant without E.Tutor, and in metagame I see around me & on MWS. I left 1 Deed MB as an option to:
a) not be scared about fast aggro (and after SB +2EE)
b) have some nice option vs. Affinity which is always around me
c) have an option to suprise opponent and blow Deed killing own Sensei which gives Goyf +2/+2.
d) blow the world and cast 2x Tombstalkers
e) and so on... there are many many situations.
Both this options are reasons of the metagame I see. Maybe I'm wrong so I hope someone will test my ideas. I'm always open to discussion here or on PM because I know this deck needs so much work to be able to survive in the metagame ;)
Deviruchi
Yes i also think that Nighthawk is better than Hyppie because he is stronger in the lategame moreover he is incredible strong with Jitte. Also the lifegain is very good because with fetchlands/Confidant and thoughtsize you really beat yourself in the a..
Another Idea for the Sideboard:
4 Powder Keg
3 Tormod's Crypt
4 Engineered Plague
4 Swords to Plowshares
Regarding sideboard options, what would you prefer of Lyeline, Crypt or Relic as boarding for grave decks. Any thoughts?
What kind of "grave" decks do you mean?
Leyline is easily one of the best for stopping opposing graveyard combos, but I have also been having some decent results with Ravenous Trap although so far its not enough to outright replace Leyline.
I usually run Relic if I don't care about my own yard though. I do not like running them along with cards such as Tombstalker or various reanimation spells.
Sorry,
I am refering to mainly Ichorid/dredge but then also Loam, landstill and reanimate.
Leyline seems obvious, however the purpose of this is to have it in play as early as possible (mailnly from the start). But I have made some thinking, what if early bounce? There are more enchantment denial nowdays in decks and there are even decks maindecking krosan.
Then the thought came to crypt, relic, extirpate.
Since I am running Goyf and Stalker in my deck, relic has too much impact to my deck so this is a no.
Crypt is a free remove target graveyard which is very good, but you have to release it at the right time. Crypt is good, but can also be played around by most decks. Ichorid/Dredge usually can do this.
Extirpate seems like moderate, however against Loam this is perfect. It is also good against landstill. Against dredge/ichorid, sideboarding in two anit grave cards (crypt, extirpate) is a real pain in the ass for them. Extirpate is also good against ANT combo (disrupting mystical fetch and removing mana such as ritual)
I dont really know what to run in my sideboard running 8 anti graveyard cards might be to much, but I dont really know.
If looking at stats and tourney breakdowns, the meta seems like much dredge/ichorid, merfolk, goblins, some *****/loam. Reanimate is quite new and I dont really know how common it will be.
My deck looks like this:
// Lands
4 Bayou
2 Swamp
1 Plains
4 Wasteland
4 Marsh Flats
4 Scrubland
2 Verdant Catacombs
// Creatures
4 Tombstalker
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Gatekeeper of Malakir
// Spells
4 Dark Ritual
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Vindicate
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hymn to Tourach
2 Pernicious Deed
My sideboard might look like this:
4 Engineered Plague
4 Tormods Crypt
4 Extirpate
2 Pernicious Deed
1 Gatekeeper of Malakir
Or:
4 Engineered Plague
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Duress
2 Pernicious Deed
1 Gatekeeper of Malakir
Ok I've gone thru a completely different route with creatures. Basically I am using Necrotic sliver as another vindicate to try and control the game. Let me know what you guys think.
Creatures:
4x Necrotic Sliver
4x Sinew Sliver
4x Metallic Sliver
4x Frenzy Sliver
4x Dark Confidant or Gatekeeper of Malikir
Spells:
4x Vindicate
4x Hymm to Tourach
4x Sinkhole
4x Dark Ritual
3x Unearth
Land:
4x Marsh Flats
4x Scrublands
4x Wastelands
6x Swamps
3x Plains
Sideboard:
4x Tormods crypt
4x Negator
3x Engineered Plague
4x duress