-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
@ronco - make that casting cost 3W. For it to be worthwhile, it still needs to be lower to activate. Not to mention, this card really comes into play after a brainstorm has been resolved. So there's not much of a gotcha there, the damage has been done.
In that ever attempt to fix brainstorm -
Balanced Ship
U
Instant
Draw four cards, then place four cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.
Dig a card deeper, lose the ability to cantrip.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Broken Dreams UB
Name a card other than a basic land, search Target player's library, and graveyard for up to four copies of that card and exile them. Then if that player has revealed any copies of that card exile those copies. If he or she doesn't, look at that players hand.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
FourDogsinaHorseSuit
Broken Dreams UB
Name a card other than a basic land, search Target player's library, and graveyard for up to four copies of that card and exile them. Then if that player has revealed any copies of that card exile those copies. If he or she doesn't, look at that players hand.
No, just no.
A cheaper version of Cranial Extraction, Memoricide, or Slaughter Games? There's no reason for this card to be printed.
That is a bad card, and you should feel bad for designing it.
(covered ground, for reference, I was not aware all of these were actually things - https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Magic/...Lobotomy-Story)
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ahg113
My card would only sometimes hit the copies in hand, but does hit companions as currently written.
Considering that the 3cmc version, Unmoored Ego, only seems fringe play I don't think it's out of the norm to try a weaker version at 2.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
FourDogsinaHorseSuit
My card would only sometimes hit the copies in hand, but does hit companions as currently written.
Considering that the 3cmc version, Unmoored Ego, only seems fringe play I don't think it's out of the norm to try a weaker version at 2.
Like any good hate, your card should be symmetrical. The opponent should get to name a card as well.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
FourDogsinaHorseSuit
My card would only sometimes hit the copies in hand, but does hit companions as currently written.
Considering that the 3cmc version, Unmoored Ego, only seems fringe play I don't think it's out of the norm to try a weaker version at 2.
I don't see how it hits companions, it makes no mention of that zone, which already sits in exile (outside the game, or some other such fancy parlance).
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ahg113
I don't see how it hits companions, it makes no mention of that zone, which already sits in exile (outside the game, or some other such fancy parlance).
Companions are not in exile. They are revealed before the game starts and are permitted to be cast once from outside the game.
So a card that says that explicitly revealed copies are exiled would hit a companion
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Fox
Like any good hate, your card should be symmetrical. The opponent should get to name a card as well.
Costs one. Each player has to tear their companion in half. Then go to their binder and find a copy for ante.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
FourDogsinaHorseSuit
Costs one. Each player has to tear their companion in half. Then go to their binder and find a copy for ante.
Speaking of which, where is the companion that is a 0/1 whose only text is “give your oppo this companion, if you do you get their companion....if they declare one”
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Fox
Speaking of which, where is the companion that is a 0/1 whose only text is “give your oppo this companion, if you do you get their companion....if they declare one”
Jeweled Xzitery?
It's the treefolk nightmare fish noble for R/B U/G
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ahg113
In that ever attempt to fix brainstorm
Though I don't think it needs fixage, why not keep it as it is, draw 3 put 2 back, but also make you lose two life. Would be a more subtle drawback that adds up over the course of the game. Punishing abusive decks like ad nauseam, make it harder for delver/4c stuff to grind out longer games etc.
Thinking about Thoughtseize here. Very strong effect that comes with a high cost.
I know, life is "just" a resource you might say.. but it adds up.
New brainstorm, double fetch, a force, having eaten a bolt or two, a swing from opponents Griselbrand.. can you still afford to agressively keep on digging?
What do you think?
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Grizzlenasty
Though I don't think it needs fixage, why not keep it as it is, draw 3 put 2 back, but also make you lose two life. Would be a more subtle drawback that adds up over the course of the game. Punishing abusive decks like ad nauseam, make it harder for delver/4c stuff to grind out longer games etc.
Thinking about Thoughtseize here. Very strong effect that comes with a high cost.
I know, life is "just" a resource you might say.. but it adds up.
New brainstorm, double fetch, a force, having eaten a bolt or two, a swing from opponents Griselbrand.. can you still afford to agressively keep on digging?
What do you think?
I don't think that cost is high enough. It's like red punisher cards, the opponent will always let the worse outcome for the active player resolve. Unless the player casting brainstorm is at 2 or 1 life that cost isn't high enough. If playing against a red deck, maybe the concern starts at 6 or 5 life (Fireblast or Lightning Bolt respectively).
We have Thoughtseize, where the cost is paid without concern, or at worse, sided out in game(s)s 2 (& 3?). G. Probe was banned for being a 2 life spell. A. Tomb isn't used ubiquitously, but plays in a bunch of decks that take the trade-off with little concern.
When one considers how effective Xerox decks usually are, when not in a mirror situation, they usually win with more than a few life points to the good.
Also, red herring, most decks don't have a Griselbrand to swing with. That's typically game over.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Thoughts on this?
"Force of White" :1::w::w:
Instant
You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Exile target noncreature spell unless its controller pays :3:.
Exiles instead of countering, taxes, and can only hit noncreature spells.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Thoughts on this?
"Force of White" :1::w::w:
Instant
You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Exile target noncreature spell unless its controller pays :3:.
Exiles instead of countering, taxes, and can only hit noncreature spells.
I'm kinda over playable free counterspells.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Thoughts on this?
"Force of White" :1::w::w:
Instant
You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Exile target noncreature spell unless its controller pays :3:.
Exiles instead of countering, taxes, and can only hit noncreature spells.
There is an irony in the name of the card (generic and basic as it is) and the current environment we're in with society and civic unrest. Like, it's too perfect.
I'm a fan of the card, awaiting a better name.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
My take on fixed Duals:
Wet Swamp (+nine others)
Land - Swamp
T: Add B
T, Pay one life: Add U
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
FourDogsinaHorseSuit
My take on fixed Duals:
Wet Swamp (+nine others)
Land - Swamp
T: Add B
T, Pay one life: Add U
I really like the idea. However, there would be 20 different types, since order now matters, unless you choose not to do certain combinations.
{B}, pay 1 {U}
{U}, pay 1 {B}
Those are two different cards of the same color combination.
If only 10 were made, which 10 would you choose, and why?
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Whoshim
I really like the idea. However, there would be 20 different types, since order now matters, unless you choose not to do certain combinations.
{B}, pay 1 {U}
{U}, pay 1 {B}
Those are two different cards of the same color combination.
If only 10 were made, which 10 would you choose, and why?
Good point. I think I would do an allied cycle with a pain from the left (so WG plains, WU island, UB swamp, BR mountain, and RG forest)
And for symmetry an enemy cycle with pain for the right (WB plains, UR island, BG swamp, RW mountain, GU forest)
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
FourDogsinaHorseSuit
Good point. I think I would do an allied cycle with a pain from the left (so WG plains, WU island, UB swamp, BR mountain, and RG forest)
And for symmetry an enemy cycle with pain for the right (WB plains, UR island, BG swamp, RW mountain, GU forest)
That seems like an organized way to do it. I was imagining something similar. It does make it interesting how it would affect certain decks though.
For example, if I am playing mostly G and splash WB (Elves mostly just splashes B right now it seems), my options are a Plains and Swamp that cost 1 life to pay G, and a Plains that costs a life to pay B. That could get pretty painful.
However, if I am mostly G and go the RUG route, then I get two Forests that each cost a life for my splash colors, and an Island that taps for R. (RUG Delver mostly taps for U though, so it would be a bit painful for that deck.)
I think that, in certain decks, the shock lands would be better. I think that you hit a pretty good spot here with the design for these as far as power and interesting decisions are concerned.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Random idea for a black spell.
Slipping Sanity
2B
Target player puts a card from their hand on top of their library.
Surveil 2.
Draw 1.
~ costs 1 less for each card named ~ in your graveyard.
EDIT: Unless I am mistaken, there is no "Target player discards a card, then draws a card" in all of Magic's history. I tried a number of different searches, but I couldn't find one. If I missed it, please let me know. Thanks.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Whoshim
Random idea for a black spell.
Slipping Sanity
2B
Target player puts a card from their hand on top of their library.
Surveil 2.
Draw 1.
~ costs 1 less for each card named ~ in your graveyard.
EDIT: Unless I am mistaken, there is no "Target player discards a card, then draws a card" in all of Magic's history. I tried a number of different searches, but I couldn't find one. If I missed it, please let me know. Thanks.
A card? Maybe, but there's collective defiance for targeted discard + draw
There's plenty of targeted draw then discard, especially in blue.
Honorable mention to Dimir Guildmage and a ton of mana
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Yeah, Dimir Guildmage can do it, but it is interesting that that seems to be about it. The discard --> draw effect is on a few cards, ranging from Wheel of Fortune to Insolent Neonate, but I found it surprising that none of them target.
Black has Sign in Blood, which can be used to target the opponent. I found it interesting that there was nothing like Neonate but with targeting.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Vendilion clique is pretty close. Windfall, wheel of fortune and others like them too.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
jmlima
Wow, they're as bad at this as we are
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Yeah, mistercakes, Vendilion Clique is pretty close. Thanks for reminding me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
jmlima
Those are pretty fun. Some seem pretty strong, but others don't really match up with things we have today:
https://media.magic.wizards.com/imag...mi02/Romao.jpg
https://media.magic.wizards.com/imag.../mi02/Ruel.jpg
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Coatl is pretty similiar to what Tropical Wizard is, except a worse a creature type, one less power, but it gained flash and somewhat unconditional deathtouch.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
jmlima
I want the 2/2 that gives protection from a color :) (Yes i'm a D&T player).
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Mage Hunter, Bob The Dog, Hind Sight are all really interesting though.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Whoshim
...
EDIT: Unless I am mistaken, there is no "Target player discards a card, then draws a card" in all of Magic's history. I tried a number of different searches, but I couldn't find one. If I missed it, please let me know. Thanks.
Does Forget count?
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Does anyone links to the other invitationalist card submissions?
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Palace Sage is hilarious in hindsight.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cire
Does anyone links to the other invitationalist card submissions?
I know of these two:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ons-2006-05-10
https://articles.starcitygames.com/p...d-submissions/
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Planeswalker
Enchanted Planeswalker loses all abilities and gain "[+1]: Scry 1"
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Realize
:ur: Instant
Resolve target spell or ability.
Then if Realize targeted a spell or ability you don't control, dress a card.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
rufus, thanks for reminding me of Forget. I wonder how I missed it in my searches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
PirateKing
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Planeswalker
Enchanted Planeswalker loses all abilities and gain "[+1]: Scry 1"
I think this would be fine at 1. The opponent already got a use out of their planeswalker, and this still gives the walker a good ability. I really dislike planeswalkers, so any card that helps hose them is good in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
FourDogsinaHorseSuit
Realize
:ur: Instant
Resolve target spell or ability.
Then if Realize targeted a spell or ability you don't control, draw a card.
I think that is too strong for combo decks. It is a UR Veil of Summer, though you need to choose whether to use it as a cantrip or as a way to make something uncounterable. I think that there is a strong chance that combo decks would stop splashing G for Veil and just run this, or run both.
I like the idea behind the card. I feel like there could be some really fun shenanigans to be had by 'reordering' the stack in ways that don't involve counterspells, but I think this would end up being more like a modal Elemental Blast/Cantrip hybrid.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Whoshim
rufus, thanks for reminding me of Forget. I wonder how I missed it in my searches.
I think this would be fine at 1. The opponent already got a use out of their planeswalker, and this still gives the walker a good ability. I really dislike planeswalkers, so any card that helps hose them is good in my book.
I think that is too strong for combo decks. It is a UR Veil of Summer, though you need to choose whether to use it as a cantrip or as a way to make something uncounterable. I think that there is a strong chance that combo decks would stop splashing G for Veil and just run this, or run both.
I like the idea behind the card. I feel like there could be some really fun shenanigans to be had by 'reordering' the stack in ways that don't involve counterspells, but I think this would end up being more like a modal Elemental Blast/Cantrip hybrid.
I think you're over estimating a combo's desire for a dispel that they can cycle of your opponent is still casting spells.
Unlike veil which is a silence that can also turn off discard spell that always cantrips if you use it as a dispel.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
I like Frank Karsten Mulligan tech actually and could be interesting:
BB
Sorcery R
Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card. Then for each mulligan you took this game, that opponent discards an additional card.
UU
Sorcery
Scry 1, then draw a card. Then for each mulligan you took this game, draw an additional card.
WW
Sorcery
Gain 5 life. Then for each mulligan you took this game, gain an additional 3 Life.
GG
Sorcery
Put 2 1/1 green saporling token onto the battlefield. Then for each mulligan you took this game, put an additional 2 1/1 green saporling token onto the battlefield.
RR
Sorcery
Deal 3 damage to any target. Then for each mulligan you took this game, deal an additional 2 damage to that target.
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
PirateKing
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Planeswalker
Enchanted Planeswalker loses all abilities and gain "[+1]: Scry 1"
Alternate idea
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Planeswalker
Enchanted Planeswalker loses all abilities and is a creature with base power and toughness equal to the number of loyalty counters on it
-
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cire
WW
Sorcery
Gain 5 life. Then for each mulligan you took this game, gain an additional 3 Life.
I think the other cards are interesting and seem at a good power level. However, this seems pretty weak. Compare Rest for the Weary and Life Goes On.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
PirateKing
Alternate idea
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Planeswalker
Enchanted Planeswalker loses all abilities and is a creature with base power and toughness equal to the number of loyalty counters on it
This one is more fun, but you could drop it on your own Oko for a 6/6 or 5/5 (quasi-hasty) beat stick.