-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ReAnimator
Wait The Source isn't supposed to be a bunch of wotc bashing and magic hating self loathing players who haven't really enjoyed the game in years? when did that happen? cause most of the people here have only been doing exactly that for years now.
Depends on the Thread. Also depends on how much Magic people ACTUALLY play. A small, over-vocal contingent of the site seems to be bitter about life in general, and they vent through MTG context.
The rest of the site is great though.
And on topic, I have to agree, I am getting tired of Keyword-all-the-things!
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
spirit of the wretch
[*]”Randy Buehler got drunk and had intercourse with my grandmother last night”
Hello and welcome! Randy Buehler here with your grandma bringing you Vintage Pancakes!
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
Also, I feel obligated to point out that this thread is going to be an off-topic shit show for the next few months...
Hmmmm... :rolleyes:
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Ah, spoiler season. It used to be the biggest time of the year for trolls to come out of the woodwork, though now that happens regularly whenever anyone mentions the ban list or metagame composition.
Remember folks, keep it civil and keep it on-topic. This thread is for the discussion of BFZ cards in Legacy. It is NOT for discussion of your pet peeves with Legacy, modern card design philosophy, game balance, or Magic in general. Posts derailing the thread after this point will be nixed, so if you don't have something to contribute then grouse to your friends in real life.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Word on the street is Avenger of Zendikar and Primal Command are getting reprints?
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
phonics
Word on the street is Avenger of Zendikar and Primal Command are getting reprints?
In the duel deck. Also, Stirring Wildwood. However, generally speaking, reprints in the duel deck aren't indicative of the contents of an upcoming set - only the new cards.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Humphrey
exactly. its lazy and boring design, covered with a new keyword. absolutely unneccessary. they have tons of unexplored designspace with the existing keywords.
man, look at those endless create a card threads and compare it to the uncreative shit theyre doing every set.
they streamline and water down the game a lot to please new players, but theyre unable to name kicker kicker?
Kicker is wide and unfocused. Awaken is "kicker - make a manland." We might get one Eternal playable card, but other than that, it's a mostly Limited/Standard mechanic. Largely ignorable for our purposes.
I'd like to note, an aggressively costed Awaken card could create interesting deck space in Legacy. You'd run more basics to avoid awakening a nonbasic with Wasteland around so much.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
jrsthethird
I'd like to note, an aggressively costed Awaken card could create interesting deck space in Legacy.
I doubt this...
Let's imagine the most aggressive Awaken card I can think of:
Aggressive Awaken :u:
Sorcery
Draw a card.
Awaken 3 - :1::u:
I still don't see that getting play...
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
I just realized that Ancient Stirrings works rather well with Devoid. I'd definitely keep an eye on that.
Powerful effects if you control other colorless creatures (like Dominator Drone, except good) could be triggered with Mutavault and Mishra's Factory.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Seems that the new lands are enemy manlands and ally dual with land types. Source is a poster that posted the information on devoid, landfall returning, ingest on august 9th.
Tbh, i don't like that they're fetchable because it means that they will probably be strictly worse than dual, whereas non-type land would at least be possibly situationally better. Well, more budget options i guess for players.
I expect a land that care about exiled shit in some way or another.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Gheizen64
Seems that the new lands are enemy manlands and ally dual with land types. Source is a poster that posted the information on devoid, landfall returning, ingest on august 9th.
Tbh, i don't like that they're fetchable because it means that they will probably be strictly worse than dual, whereas non-type land would at least be possibly situationally better. Well, more budget options i guess for players.
I expect a land that care about exiled shit in some way or another.
Can you link the source?
The only info I found was this one, which lacks the other info.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
I have a lot of trouble believing that they'd include fetchable dual lands in a Standard that includes the fetchlands.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
I'd wager they can't come up with a proper fetchable dual land that isn't just a shockland. It may be something in the vein of a painland with half the land types, like Murmuring Bosk only with just one of the "off color" colors available. That would actually be fairly plausible in several formats,wouldn't obviate shocklands, and of course is nomatch to ABRU dual lands.
Really any non-basics with land types, if playable, should be welcome additions to a format with fetches. Not that fetchlands are in need of more viable plays, but it is cool to think that they could be used for something more than just fixing mana.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Lord Seth
I have a lot of trouble believing that they'd include fetchable dual lands in a Standard that includes the fetchlands.
So do I. Wasn't their general rule of not having duals + fetches at the same time in Standard? Or were they only refering to shocklands + fetches?
That said, if there are duals, they're going to be conditional "come into play tapped unless" lands. The current trend is that whenever they make a new multicolor land, it comes into play tapped (Gates, Scrylands, Lifegain lands, Khan trilands), as it's an easy drawback to design around. Additionally, it slows down the format, which is one of their goals - otherwise, they wouldn't come up with stupid crap like "Manadorks for 1 mana are now too strong!".
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Claiming that keyword X or Y is only good for limited, might come back to bite you in the ass. I remember when Khans of Tarkir was being previewed, this entire forum seemed to agree that Prowess was crappy and only meant for limited.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Mayhaps they'll do something cool with landfall. I like fooling around with lots of triggers.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Can you link the source?
The only info I found was
this one, which lacks the other info.
Comment on Mythic Spoiler:
Jimmy Alvey · Crew at Burger King
New mech is devoid and awakening
Devoid means spells with it have no colour and awakening is an alternate casting cost that makes a land a 0/0 and puts counters on them.
Plus enemy man lands and a New ally land that is a plains island
Like · Reply · 1 · Aug 9, 2015 10:18am
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
anyone else like retrat to kazanda as a sideboard card against burn?
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
bruizar
anyone else like retrat to kazanda as a sideboard card against burn?
At 2 mana maybe. Healing Salving yourself with fetches is nice and all, but isn't it a tad bit too slow for 3 mana AND requiring Landfall while doing fuckall otherwise due to being an enchantment?
How is it better than Kitchen Finks?
Edit: Unless you're talking about it as a SB card in Lands.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
I doubt this...
Let's imagine the most aggressive Awaken card I can think of:
Aggressive Awaken :u:
Sorcery
Draw a card.
Awaken 3 - :1::u:
I still don't see that getting play...
I don't know . . . by turn 2 it sort of reads as
:1::u:
Creature -
Devoid, Defender
When ~ ETB draw a card.
:1:: ~ has haste, and loses Defender until end of turn.
3/3
That's certainly pushed. Also it's a decent creature that
1) triggers delver
2) triggers YP
3) can be cast for cheap, cantrip and fill up yard for delve.
4) Pitches to force
-------------
On another note - awaken can work well with Inkmoth nexus. . .
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cire
...
On another note - awaken can work well with Inkmoth nexus. . .
Or Darksteel Citadel, many other man lands, and if you're feeling extra-cute Llanowar Reborn.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cire
I don't know . . . by turn 2 it sort of reads as
:1::u:
Creature -
Devoid, Defender
When ~ ETB draw a card.
:1:: ~ has haste, and loses Defender until end of turn.
3/3
Except if the land is tapped, it doesn't really have haste...
Plus any removal now also acts as a Stone Rain, plus Wasteland is a card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cire
On another note - awaken can work well with Inkmoth nexus. . .
That is actually a good point. Although I still doubt it would make its way into Legacy Infect. The correct pushed card could work its way into Modern Infect though.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
Except if the land is tapped, it doesn't really have haste...
Plus any removal now also acts as a
Stone Rain, plus
Wasteland is a card.
That is actually a good point. Although I still doubt it would make its way into Legacy Infect. The correct pushed card could work its way into Modern Infect though.
Well not exactly, but all I was trying to say is that I can see a pushed awaken card actually being used. It just has to be really pushed . . .
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
Except if the land is tapped, it doesn't really have haste...
Plus any removal now also acts as a
Stone Rain, plus
Wasteland is a card.
I mean, in fairness, the land would still be immune to things like Abrupt Decay and Punishing Fire and Disfigure. Plus, once you hit the mid game, getting Stone Rained isn't the worst thing in the world. It's a 3/3 for 2cc that replaces mid game lands and draws a card. While I don't think it would be OP, I see no reason why it wouldn't be played to hell and back.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
I now terribly regret my part in turning this into another 'Shitty Card Creation' thread.
What I meant to say was:
I bet no card with Awaken will see any Legacy play.
Lets check back on this in 3 months, and then again in a year to see if I'm right. :tongue:
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
I now terribly regret my part in turning this thread into another 'Shitty Card Creation' thread.
What I meant to say was:
I bet no card with Awaken will see any Legacy play.
Lets check back on this in 3 months, and then again in a year to see if I'm right. :tongue:
I personally agree. I don't see wizards being brave enough to really push it enough for legacy.
I do think that a pushed card could be played in Modern though . .
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
I now terribly regret my part in turning this into another 'Shitty Card Creation' thread.
What I meant to say was:
I bet no card with Awaken will see any Legacy play.
Lets check back on this in 3 months, and then again in a year to see if I'm right. :tongue:
Depends on how the other Awaken cards turn out. There might be 1-2 cards that could be good enough.
I like the idea with manlands. Creeping Tar Pit with a few +1/+1 counters is alot deadlier than normal.
Remind me: If a Creeping Tar Pit gets awakened and then activated, does it return to being a 0/0 with counters EoT or does it stop being a creature?
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
What I meant to say was:
I bet no card with Awaken will see any Legacy play.
Lets check back on this in 3 months, and then again in a year to see if I'm right. :tongue:
That seems plausible, but it's part of a pattern: Legacy is very mana cost sensitive - things that give extra value in exchange for mana are generally not legacy material, and non-mana alterantive costs are powerful.
It would have to be a very pushed card, or something that works in a game-winning combo (like Artificial Evolution with awaken).
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
...
Remind me: If a Creeping Tar Pit gets awakened and then activated, does it return to being a 0/0 with counters EoT or does it stop being a creature?
It goes back to being a 0/0 base creature because the awaken has indefinite duration.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Am I correct that the wording of Devoid makes it colorless even while not on the battlefield?
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
rufus
It goes back to being a 0/0 base creature because the awaken has indefinite duration.
Thanks, I expected as much, just wanted to be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Finn
Am I correct that the wording of Devoid makes it colorless even while not on the battlefield?
It seems to be a permanent ability in all zones.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
It seems to be a permanent ability in all zones.
Well, so much for Natural Order to bring in a green eldrazi...
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
I'm just ruminating here, but I think something in each color like Dryad Arbor may see print. The fact that creature removal gives a natural 2-for-1 (at least as far as tempo is concerned) could allow for some room to push power level.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr. Safety
I'm just ruminating here, but I think something in each color like Dryad Arbor may see print. The fact that creature removal gives a natural 2-for-1 (at least as far as tempo is concerned) could allow for some room to push power level.
I think they stated in the past that they're not going to do Dryad Arbor variants again due to confusing new players and being a rules clusterfuck.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
I sorta hope they print a Thran Lens bear.
Seems like a set where they could do it.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
I sorta hope they print a
Thran Lens bear.
Seems like a set where they could do it.
Hoping to be the person to coin the nickname "Thran Legs" (at least in the player community; I'm sure that would be the playtest name).
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
It seems to be a permanent ability in all zones.
It's a "characteristic-defining ability" and yes works in all zones (including "outside the game" if you get it there somehow,) just like Tarmogoyf's P/T ability.
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Ace/Homebrew
I sorta hope they print a
Thran Lens bear.
Seems like a set where they could do it.
That would hose devotion decks so hard! I like it and I think it's plausible
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
bruizar
That would hose devotion decks so hard! I like it and I think it's plausible
How does it hose Devotion decks? Even if the cards are colorless, they still have the colored mana symbols in their mana costs.
Heck, even if it did work that way, in what format would there even be Devotion decks to hose? All the devotion cards rotate out when this set rotates in, and the archetype isn't much of a thing in Modern or Legacy. Are devotion decks a thing in EDH?
-
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
ah good point. I'm not a standard player so I never know what rotates out when. Would like to see the lens bear myself though