-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
I went 3-0-1 at my LGS last night. Split in the last round. Would have ended up playing rug delver in the last round.
2-0 against Storm (substituted thoughtsieze and preordains for probes)
2-0 vs Zombardment (1 win by grindstone another by helm)
2-1 vs sneak and show.
For the SnS match I ended up bringing in 11 sideboard cards. It went something like +4 leyline of the void, +1 helm, +1 red elemental blast, +2 containment priest, +1 ethersworn canonist, +1 Rest In Peace, +1 ensnaring bridge.
-3 grindstone, -1 blood moon, -1 goblin welder, -1 imperial recruiter, -2 grim lavamancer, -2 Karn, -1 painter’s servant.
Game 1 lost to a show and tell into omniscience . I put in a canonist which he abraded a turn or two later. (Main deck abrade ughh) he eventually draws 7 and gets emrakul into play and I scoop.
Game 2 he mulls to 5 and I blast a show and tell. I get a bunch of dorks and a copter into play. I get a containment priest into play. He is out of cards too decks a pyroclasm. I get another containment priest into play and swing in for the win with copter.
Game 3 I get a turn zero leyline. He kept a sketchy hand with a petal and city of traitors . He tries to brainstorm off the petal and I blast it. I get a copter into play and start the beats. I eventually have an e tutor and I crew the copter with a dork and e tutor with the draw on the stack to get helm and discard it since I have an active welder in play for the win.
@Jack congrats on the top8. Glad to see Shortcake on top again. Looking forward to your report as well. I have a lot of the same questions as Drude, particularly regarding the Karn’s and 3rd welder. Also could you discuss why 4 pyroclasm over any targeted burn (like bolt, abrade, firebolt). Also what was your sideboarding plan vs D&T. Is that a matchup where you would board in the second moon? Do you board out a number of canonists/ REBs, and do you bring in Karn?
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
aslidsiksoraksi
interested in the idea that the deck could be better positioned post ban - what makes you think so?
and also very excited for a report :wink:
We can actually use goblin welder to get painter servant back from the graveyard again, instead of having it get exiled by deathrite.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
And blood moon gets better. And I don't agree that people will be playing more stable Mana bases. Yes, they will probably have a couple basics in their deck but turn one or two blood moon is still really good.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Hoping to get my report posted Thursday night or so. The card that has stood out the most has actually been copter. Small filter value has definitely been appreciated, in addition to many different situations it has seriously inhibited the opponent. I'll try to bring these situations up as well as board stuff in the report also.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Kap'n Cook
Hoping to get my report posted Thursday night or so. The card that has stood out the most has actually been copter. Small filter value has definitely been appreciated, in addition to many different situations it has seriously inhibited the opponent. I'll try to bring these situations up as well as board stuff in the report also.
Cool man saw your list. Hope you start streaming up again soon.
Look forward to reading your report
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
I took Jack's list to the local 2k at Top Deck Games, went 4-2 to a 14/47 place finish. I beat S&T, D&T, ANT, and affinity. Lost to burn and UB landstill. UB landstill I bricked on lands one game which really hurt, and in another game a wasteland stopped me from fetching plateau when I had a hand full of white cards. Burn absolutely crushed me, it want even close. I think I might want 1 sphere of law or CoP in the board to be able to tutor up for burn matchups at any moderately sized event. I'm also still on the fence about swapping out a mountain for 1 basic plains in the deck. I think it's probably worth it for me personally.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
NormalGuy
I took Jack's list to the local 2k at Top Deck Games, went 4-2 to a 14/47 place finish. I beat S&T, D&T, ANT, and affinity. Lost to burn and UB landstill. UB landstill I bricked on lands one game which really hurt, and in another game a wasteland stopped me from fetching plateau when I had a hand full of white cards. Burn absolutely crushed me, it want even close. I think I might want 1 sphere of law or CoP in the board to be able to tutor up for burn matchups at any moderately sized event. I'm also still on the fence about swapping out a mountain for 1 basic plains in the deck. I think it's probably worth it for me personally.
I have to agree with jack and Seth on a basic plains not being viable. I think running 3 plateau might be better. I am gonna take jacks list to Geekeryhq on Monday except I’m gonna run a spirit guide in place of the 4th petal and heretic in place of the ee. In place of heretic in the board I’m gonna run a containment priest.
Still looking forward to jack’s tournament report!
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Sorry I have been away with life, work stuff, and medical licensing shit while so much has been happening. I am happy to see that you guys are still moving the deck forward. I know I haven't updated the list I have been playing but Jack and I have been essentially 73/75 for the past 2 months or so. I still feel that the Canonist is as strong as it was the night him and I were talking and decided to switch out the moon effects to go full Canonist in the main. Even with the DRS banning I would probably stay with the same configuration.
I know we also all you all a complete sideboarding guide. Unfortunately the banning upended a lot of that and we will need to start over there. My current sideboard is as follows
4 Surgical Extraction
1 Tormod's Crypt
3 Pyroclasm
1 EE
3 Containment Priest
1 Blast effect
1 undecided at this time, but probably a Welder
A quick note, Karn should probably be in the 75, although I am still not sure where at this point. I bounce back and forth if he is good enough for the main or just certain match ups. I am not testing him at this point as I want to figure out the other pieces at this time. I also think the dude count should be 2/1/1 for Welder/Lavaman/Ballista in the main. I am thinking I will try and make the SCG Philly event this coming weekend, so this would be the configuration I would take to an open tournament.
Some quick thoughts about the sideboard choices. Interaction on turn zero is too important anymore. Surgical is superior to Leyline bc while you want them both in your opening hand, being able to playa drawn one is important for the splash damage the cards provide. While Surgical is slightly weaker against Reanimator and Dredge, it helps make Turbo Lands and Miracles much better. You also need the gravehate to work against any decks running Eldrazi. The notion that you have to either lean on the singleton Crypt or mull to Leyline is a terrible strategy in those match ups. Also it is important to note that if the Reanimator design that becomes more popular, turn zero is less important, and allowing a grave hate that can be played when drawn should actually allow you to fight better over an extended event. The other choices are just general good stuff. I am thinking the Canonists also will help Show and Tell variants while giving us dudes to crew with. They are showing some promise in testing although its early, but I like the way we can add so many hate pieces to the deck in some match ups all while using the Copter to apply pressure and give us psuedo cantrips.
In other news I will soon be writing for a buddies card store website. The first thing they wanted me to come up with was a Painter series. Unsure how many articles it will become but I think I am at 9 pages so far. Nothing earth shattering for you all, but it will include some thoughts on the deck over the next couple months as the format shakes out. I will post a link here when it goes live.
Free Nedleeds, keep painting, and sorry to the international players for the fucktard that is visiting overseas.
Seth
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Dang a whole article series?? Looking forward to it, glad to see work on the deck is still happening.
3 Containment priest is interesting. The SB seems heavily geared to be Sneak and Show, which makes sense since it seems like a bad matchup and a common one.
I'm probably gonna try the deck out again at a couple weeklies coming up here, will try to report back. Good luck in Philly!
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
It’s funny you mention the board. Jack and I spoke for like 40 minutes last night going over it. I fully acknowledge that it’s wrong but I want to test out certain match ups and I need the numbers to see the cards frequently enough. In the end Karn will be part of the deck but I’m waiting till the meta shakes out to fit him in. My thoughts on that are that for the next two months or so I imagine the meta may be in flux. So I wanted some answers to decks I know we are weak to or we’re otherwise not hit by the bannning.
Miracles- extra welders and blast are strong here. Hard to say where the deck will go now but I think we are favored. The match up is tough but with good play I think it is positive. The Surgicals also really help here as getting rid of STP and Terminus and stopping those shenanigans is huge.
Elves-Not much changes. They still can swarm fast. Pyroclasm and lavaman are amazingly my here. Containment Priest also does a lot as NO is really how they will beat you quickly. I am pretty sure that it also shuts off zenith, although I can’t check now as I’m on a subway.
Show and Tell- it’s rough. Containment priest should help but this one is a battle. You need the grave hate as winning games without the combo is possible but not very probable, so removing Eldrazi is key.
Tempo-I have no idea how the various rug, bug, and other lists will shake out. Blasts and pyroclasm with EE is generally strong here. Obviously the blast also can provide value.
Reanimator- I will also say that gravehate needs to be castable. I don’t nderstand the argument for leyline, but I will take Surgical as it may be slightly better. It is unclear if faster RB or more consistent UB will win out. In the case of UB, Surgical is probably just better. We also have crypt.
Lands- crypt and surgical allow you to get rid of dark depths. That buys you time. With the new ruling on Blood Moon, the change to more fast mana, trying to shut off their lands can often be a liability as you lose the sol lands.
Storm- Nothing really changes.
I’m on a train. Sorry for the typos.
Seth
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Went 2-2 at my LGS tonight. Won against RUG Delver and UWr Stoneblade. Lost to UB reanimator and RUG Delver. Won game 1 vs UB reanimator and could not draw any hate games 2 and 3. Brought in 2 containment priest, 4 surgical, and a tormods crypt.
I won against rug Delver due to him being on one land game 1 and I basically just raced him with a canonist after getting a blood moon down. Game 3 I had to mull to 5 and had a turn 1 blood moon which he had no answer to.
There were 4 reanimator decks, at least 2 SNeak and show, and at least 3 RUG Delver decks running around. If RUG continues to be a problem I think I might go back up on the moon count (currently playing 1 main and 1 side). Also it seems like UB reanimator is the top dog over Br. Maybe Rest In Peace Helm is the way to go as it also gives us time against Goyfs and mongooses while also having the extra combo in helm.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Its nice to see that others are seeing some wins with the deck.
With respect to the sideboard, I would recommend just standing pat at this time. Maybe RiP and Helm over Surgical but otherwise I would just suggest running out there what I threw up. The reason for this is we need at least 2 things before we can fine tune the hate pieces.
1. The meta will run some rehashes of older decks, and at least one or two will emerge or change percentages.
2. This will give decks like Miracles and the tempo shells to adjust and adapt to the proper hate.
Once both of these things happen, we will know which types of Reanimator, Stoneblade, and Tempo shells are the strongest along with knowing where Miracles goes. It will also show us which variants of Show and Tell are the most important. It isn't until we know that can we figure out the best hate pieces. Until then I really think the more generic ones that have a great deal over overlap are the best course moving forward.
Anyone going to Philly this weekend?
Seth
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
We get that Kap'n Cook tourney report yet or nah? I know people are busy.
Looking to build. Might be picking up Cities tonight and the rest I own or will fall in place easily.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sroncor1
Anyone going to Philly this weekend?
Seth
I'm going to try to make it to Philly on sunday for the legacy classic.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Hey guys! Thinking about putting this together. Is there a Discord for this deck?
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
drynne_
Hey guys! Thinking about putting this together. Is there a Discord for this deck?
This is apparently one for all painter variants, split into different archetypes...
https://discord.gg/3u8Ye9f
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Gonna try to make it to Philly. Just went 4-1 in a league playing with 4 blood moons main. I played against:
UB Landstill 2-1
Grixis Delver 2-0
UR Delver 2-1
SNeak and show 2-1
Some sort of BUG with basics 1-2
I was playing 4 moons main:
4 ancient tomb
2 arid Mesa
1 bloodstained mire
3 city of traitors
3 mountain
3 plateau
1 great furnace
2 scalding tarn
3 lotus petal
3 enlightened tutor
2 goblin welder
4 pyroblast
1 red elemental blast
4 grindstone
1 walking ballista
2 ethersworn canonist
4 painter’s servant
4 smugglers copter
4 blood moon
4 imperial recruiter
2 simian spirit guide
1 viashino heretic
1 ensnaring bridge
1 Karn, Scion on Urza
Sideboard:
2 containment priest
2 ethersworn canonist
4 Rest In Peace
3 pyroclasm
1 tormods crypt
1 ensnaring bridge
1 helm of obedience
1 engineered explosives
Thinking of dropping a canonist in the board for an additional red elemental blast.
Hoping for the meta to stabilize soon. The decks I faced this league, I didn’t face at all last league.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
5-0d first league with the updated post-challenge list, it’s prolly posted somewhere and 4-1d the next. Feel the most confident I have in probably 2+ years in the list. Really encourage everyone to pick it up if you haven’t painted in a while. Board right now is the following and I’ll make sure to update the opening post with new info this week
Board
4 pyroclasm
4 surgical
2 priest
1 crypt
1 welder
2 Karn
1 viashino heretic
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Went 3-0 tonight at a LGS playing Jack's 75. 2-0 vs ANT, 2-0 vs Elves and 2-0 vs DnT. Ethersworn Cannonist turned out to be great, and blood moon was surprisingly good vs Elves. First time playing the deck and really enjoyed how it felt (:
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Kap'n Cook
5-0d first league with the updated post-challenge list, it’s prolly posted somewhere and 4-1d the next. Feel the most confident I have in probably 2+ years in the list. Really encourage everyone to pick it up if you haven’t painted in a while. Board right now is the following and I’ll make sure to update the opening post with new info this week
Board
4 pyroclasm
4 surgical
2 priest
1 crypt
1 welder
2 Karn
1 viashino heretic
Mind making it easy for us with an exact list? maindeck?
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
compacta_d
Mind making it easy for us with an exact list? maindeck?
4 Ancient Tomb
3 City of Traitors
3 Plateau
3 Mountain
1 Great Furnace
2 Wooded Foothills
3 Bloodstained Mire
4 Lotus Petal
1 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Imperial Recruiter
4 Painter’s Servant
4 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Goblin Welder
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Walking Ballista
4 Pyroblast
2 Red Elemental Blast
3 Enlightened Tutor
4 Grindstone
4 Smuggler’s Copter
1 Blood Moon
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Engineered Explosives (Heretic)
Sideboard:
4 Surgical Extraction
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Containment Priest
4 Pyroclasm
1 Goblin Welder
1 Viashino Heretic (EE)
2 Karn, Scion of Urza
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
I just finished reading Kap'n Cook tournament report - thanks for the great read.
I bought the missing pieces for this deck after I saw it 7-0 the Legacy Challenge. Played it a little casually with friends, and really liked it. I'm bringing it tomorrow to my weekly legacy event.
Will definitely keep on reading posts here to learn more about the deck.
Gotta make good use of my plateaus after all :)
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Has the tournament report been posted/published? Someone post a link if so?
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Hey Kapn'. Just read your tourney report. Hilarious. Well written.
Seems like the canonists are really pulling their weight for you. I am having a really hard time deciding which version of painter to play right now. I've been fiddling with the dark side of brainstorm and force of will for so long that it is now hard to give up. It's like crack. Anyway, maybe your recent success will inspire me to get back on straight shortcake (or maybe back to "Devil's cake" with black splash). My big question is this...you feel like a miser's bloodmoon is still the way to go? Eldrazi and RUG delver seem to be getting real popular. I think I would really want to play more main moons but I also can't argue with your logic. Also, is 4 copters too many? Do you really want to see more than one? It's probably just so important to get one down on the first 1-2 turns though huh? Anyway, keep on painting my friend. I'll go to confession and cleanse my soul and then should be ready to jump back on the wagon.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Good mention on rug and eldrazi, I’ve been waiting to see how much they would rebound. So far it hasn’t been terrible, since copter does trade with mimic, reshaper, goose, and delver. I haven’t faced much lands yet though, so if that’s back big as well then I could see a second in the board. Otherwise, white is pretty important now overall. 4 copters is probably right, since they can pitch each other. every hit replaces the worst card in our hand or abuses welder. legacy is still pretty combat focused right now too, and copter is a huge 3/3.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
This was a great write up, thank you so much. Would you perhaps be able to go a little more in depth on the aggro loam matchup, A local at my store plays it every week and it gives me alot of trouble, just running your stock list, any help would be appreciated.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Hey All,
So I know I'm late to the party, but I've been really glad to see Copter get picked up by the Shortcake and Mono R lists, the card is the stone nuts.
I skimmed the ten pages of this thread, so sorry if I missed the relevant discussion, but what about upping the Welder count? The card super over-performs with Copter. Maybe I just want to make every deck Welder-Control, but the artifact count is already ready high and it becomes another must-answer threat to tax opposing removal.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
I am glad you are enjoying the thread.
With respect to Welder, I think 3 is the correct number right now. While he is basically always awesome, we do need some random cards to combat the weird shit that is part of Legacy. I could see a meta shaking out where 4 is what we want, but with elves and delver variants still fairly popular, we need to have some answers for those match ups at this time.
Also, I will post here when the series goes live, but I finally finished the write up on Painter. So I am thinking they will start the roll out of articles this week.
Seth
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
sroncor1
...with elves and delver variants still fairly popular, we need to have some answers for those match ups at this time.
What do you think of a singleton Ali from Cairo as elf hate? It is decay proof and tutorable with recruiter?
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Fallen_Empire
What do you think of a singleton
Ali from Cairo as elf hate? It is decay proof and tutorable with recruiter?
Peacekeeper might be a tad better since it can come in a variety of matchups outside of elves. A card like this is usually very bad against a deck like Delver because it's so easy to remove.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
CptHaddock
Peacekeeper might be a tad better since it can come in a variety of matchups outside of elves. A card like this is usually very bad against a deck like Delver because it's so easy to remove.
Abrupt Decay can kill Peacekeeper, it can't kill Ali.. I think elves scoops to Ali..
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Yeah I mean Ali is tough to beat in general for them. If elves is heavily played there is marginal cost to run a singleton answer to the deck. I feel like there were some lists years ago where I had him in the 75, or at least we joked about playing him.
He isn't the worst card.
Seth
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Fallen_Empire
Abrupt Decay can kill Peacekeeper, it can't kill Ali.. I think elves scoops to Ali..
I overheard some talk in the Elfy circles about including some amount of Shaman of the Pack as the non-combat alternative lost with the DRS ban.
Against the Moats and Bridges, where slowly draining them was the backup, now Symbiote bouncing and recasting is the plan.
You might fake them out a game, but after that, you should plan on seeing that come down.
So auto-scoop every time not so much. Just a heads up.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
How do you guys feel about the Eldrazi Post matchup? I'm running a fairly stock list and I've found the matchup to be basically unwinnable, especially if they're playing multiple titans with the shuffle ability. I've been seeing the deck pop up more and more, especially after 2 people top 8'd Philly with it. Any advice or tech for the matchup?
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
marqueso
How do you guys feel about the Eldrazi Post matchup? I'm running a fairly stock list and I've found the matchup to be basically unwinnable, especially if they're playing multiple titans with the shuffle ability. I've been seeing the deck pop up more and more, especially after 2 people top 8'd Philly with it. Any advice or tech for the matchup?
This matchup alone makes me want to go back to the 4 blood moon, 3 bridge version of the deck.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Even with moon and bridge I feel like they can still ramp into Ulamog to remove either fairly easily? I could be wrong. Grim Monolith and such gives them some inevitability
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
Even with moon and bridge I feel like they can still ramp into Ulamog to remove either fairly easily? I could be wrong. Grim Monolith and such gives them some inevitability
I agree that it is easy for them to ramp into Ulamog or all is dust. When I was on Moon stompy I played two Null rods in the board specifically for this match up since people at my LGS. Null Rod is a nonbo in painter though.
I think moon is still good for this match up. With copter at least you have a relatively fast clock as opposed to durdling around with little dorks. Maybe if you can get a painter down and blast their mana rocks to keep them from casting their business spells you should be good.
In recent news I went 3-1 at my LGS tonight:
2-1 Tin Fins (beatdown for the win both times)
Storm 2-1
Sneak and Show 0-2 (got absolutely killed)
Eldrazi Stompy 2-0
I played Jack’s latest list exactly except I played a blood moon in the board over the 2nd Karn. I know we’ve discussed how great copter is but it still continues to impress me. In Game 1 vs Eldrazi Stompy I am at 8 life facing down three 3/3 creatures and a chalice on 1. I have a moon and bridge in play and an empty hand. My outs to win are explosives (1 of) to get rid of chalice, ballista (another 1 of) to ping, or draw a copter (which I did) and build to three cards in hand to swing in the air and then play a card to get back down to two cards in hand. I think this is definitely a match up where copter is better than SDT was.
-
Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake
First part is up.
https://www.flipsidegaming.com/blogs...nter-in-legacy
I have some additional thoughts I will post tonight here.
Seth