Moar Contaminations, less GY hate. Only flopping around with my sideboard for now, but the local meta I'm in has almost no black in it so Contamination is poisonous... :laugh:
Printable View
Doesn't this list look reasonable?
4 Bloodghast
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 nihilith
4 Pox
4 Smallpox
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Toxic Deluge
4 inquisition of kozilek
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 The Rack
4 Bloodstained Mire
12 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Wasteland
Looks balanced doesn't it? I have put back Inquisition of kozilek to be more prepared for combo.
THAT may be why i went 1-3 this tuesday.
My first opponent played Shardless control. I got problems with my starting hands and never really recovered.
Second round I met a guy playing belcher. He goes of turn one playing a million goblins. Duel two he makes a million goblins but i am a turn ahead playing Ratchet Bomb and kill them.
Turn three he empties his hand to put belcher into play. I play Ratchet bomb and start add counters. Regretably he draws a spirit guide before i get discard to destroy his hand.
I consider dropping but decide to continue. At last then i get to play magic.
Next i get beaten by Death and Taxes. Toxic Deluge was supposed to be a solution to creatures but it is too slow vs death and taxes.
0-2 This should be an EASY opponent.
Eventually you get to fight someone worse than yourself, and you win.
He played Blade something and lost to me by 0-2.
Nothing to learn there. :/
So improvements that turn out to be dis-improvement(?). Haven't seen that before;-)
On the whole i like the deck, Aggro-pox. Fine tuning is all it needs, but that may mean big changes.
@hardcore
"Looks balanced doesn't it? I have put back Inquisition of kozilek to be more prepared for combo.
THAT may be why i went 1-3 this tuesday."
-i don't think your inclusion of inquisition of kozilek is the reason why you went 1-3 yesterday since IOK is a good card against ALL the deck you went up against..
"My first opponent played Shardless control. I got problems with my starting hands and never really recovered."
-did you mean shardless BUG? speaking from experience, our problem against this deck is ancestral visions..(Pox's weaknesses are noncreature nonland permanents, graveyard interactions, and Ancestral Vision.- reid duke http://www.starcitygames.com/article...n-Prophet.html ), since it helps them recover and beat us in card advantage..its the reason why reid once ran bottled cloister at some point, to match BUG's card advantage..
"Next i get beaten by Death and Taxes. Toxic Deluge was supposed to be a solution to creatures but it is too slow vs death and taxes.
0-2 This should be an EASY opponent. "
-toxic deluge is NOT slow, perhaps you found it slow since you're not running rituals in your build..its the cheapest, most versatile sweeper mono-black has access to in legacy, unless you're considering nausea or shrivel which, IMHO, is too narrow..
i've always wanted to try contamination in pox but i'm too chicken to use it in a tournament because i feel its too clunky, what cards do you run other than nether spirit to sustain it in play and keep the lock? are you running crucibles again? my friend suggested i try Ophiomancer and reassembling skeleton, though i feel the latter is too mana intensive in a deck that destroys its own lands, i haven't tried it so i can't comment on the card yet, what do you think? if i hadn't sold my bitter blossoms, i think i might test it with contamination too, although i might take out big pox because of fear of too much life loss..
in a casual game, i'd run it with breeding pit, until i buy my bitterblossoms back.. :laugh:
Death and Taxes is a bye for Engineered Plague and Night of Souls' Betrayal maindeck. Ultimately, I did experiment with an Aggro-Control Pox running 12 threats, I've learned it does better against control, but worse against combo and aggro. For me, that improvement isn't worth it in a meta where aggro combo is prevalent. (my local)
For Contamination, I've noticed using it as a 3 mana Time-Walk is actually significant. I run 2 Nether Spirit, 1 Crucible, and 4 Mishra's to feed it. Just casting it for 'the hell of it' and then stalling out to top deck a creature/man-land makes it totally worth it. Why? Because you auto-win vs. most decks with it, that's why! :mad:
My last (and only) tournament with it I REALLY should have just thrown away my 2 Mishra's Factories to it since I top decked my Crucible the SAME TURN I sacrificed the damn thing. Running it as a 4 of after Sideboard is great for me. (very few mono-black decks in meta)
Decks that splash also suffer heavily. Can't Abrupt Decay if your lands only make Black and your DRS is Pithing Needled huh? :laugh:
Ophiomancer... With her in play, all your Pox effects become totally nullified. Card advantage... ah... And the chumping OH glorious chumping. I'd have to remove my Night of Souls' Betrayal for her which would kill my Death and Taxes auto win games, so perhaps another Pox deck could run her.
Thanks for the replies!
@Hardcore: Your lists were very influential, so if you say that Lili is not necesary then be it. My wallet will appreciate that for sure.
@Zenitramleirdag: I`ve played whit rituals instead of moxen in the past, and eventually ended taking them out. While they do provide some really explosive starts, they ofetn lefted me scrambling for an extra source of mana over the turns. In the long run mox provide more mana, and they are pox-proof to boot. I will retool the SB to make room for Drown in sorrow, and few ratchet bombs for hard to deal with permanents. i don`t know if the deck can support the lifeloss of toxic deluge, but I can try to test them in drown in sorrow`s place. IOK is something I will try to squeeze in the MD.
@Omnistrata: I took out The Rack, since it was dead in many games when my opp out drew me. DRS is very good, a decent one drop, late game reach, removal magnet, ramp, and lifegain with the mox.
My list now is the same as i posted but with -3 the rack and +2 extirpate (test slot until I can get some IOK) and +1 jitte.
Saludos
I have played a lot of Ophiomancer in mono-black Stax. Can confirm that she is nuts - and honestly, if you resolve Night of Soul's Betrayal, why do you even care that you're not making snake tokens? In that case you're almost certainly winning the game. The times you DON'T have Night though, Ophiomancer feeds sacrifice effects and clogs up the board at the same time.
Because... CONTAMINATION + Night of Souls' Betrayal!! :frown: *sniffle*
Snake Lady will end up getting Contamination fed instead of that sweet 1/1 death toucher. Granted, if I removed Night of Souls', then I can just squeeze 1-2 of her in the deck, but ultimately, I'd rather have less dissynergy and Death and Taxes has never beaten me yet. I hate dat deck with a passion.
Also, for 3 mana, being only able to generate just 1 snake token makes me sad. Would two of her in play stack the tokens? From the wording, I don't think it would.
Now that you mention Stax, I did run Smokestack at one time in Pox.
Illness in the Ranks
Anyone tried this? Seems good considering lots of decks plan on winning with goblins (Warrens), monks (Mentor), or elementals (Pyromancer). Along with other token decks. And its only 1cc.
Combined with E.Plague, not many other sweepers are necessary when you factor in the decks namesakes for sac effects (Pox & Smallpox).
could be effective versus lingering souls, Empty the Warrens, young pyromancer, bitterblossoms, etc.. but don't you think that at (3) mana we already have a better card in engineered plague? i would personally pay (2) more and cast engineered plague since its less narrow and is a card that also have other uses against many other matchups..but that's just my opinion..if i were going to a field expecting to see a lot of b/w tokens or belcher then i might run it too as a supplement to engineered plague and night of souls betrayal..
for that kind of effect, i think i'd rather go with dread of night to supplement my engineered plagues..though its dead against non-white decks..
but give it (Illness in the Ranks) a try and tell us what you think of it..
who among here has tried ensnaring bridge in the main?
I did, a long time ago. Used Nezumi Shortfang, The Rack and ran 4 Poxes. It also used Necrogen Mists since I was unaware of Bottomless Pit at the time.
Ensnaring Bridge is great if your intent is to go long. Non-creature threats tend to take longer, but nothing says "auto-win" like a Bridge. Biggest problem though is that you can't run Wasteland and Sinkhole with it since you want everyone to empty their hands swiftly so losing your own mana source [wastelands] and Sinkholing theirs hurts your game.
If you are going Bridge Pox, I'd suggest no less than four and sculpt the whole deck around it. Ultimately, it's probably the most annoying Control archetype to play since your enemy can have 10 trillion damage worth of creature on the field and can't do anything with it... :eek::cool:
i just thought about it since i've noticed that my main deck singleton engineered plague has been disappointing me quite often lately, and often times i wish it was a bridge or a deluge i've drawn instead..the plague can sometimes one-for-one but often times i draw it when a goyf or something elso that has a toughness 2 and above is on the field..
i just feel like trying a singleton maindeck in lieu of the lone engineered plague because it can answer and protect us against certain cards/decks that would've been a tough match up for us like show and tell and reanimator where the plague would've been dead card..i can always pitch it to liliana or any pox effects when i'm ahead and have factories on the field beating face..
I love to play an ensnaring bridge main and one in the board. Furthermore I have an infernal tutor (main) to find it. I think it is very strong and gave me a few g1 free wins (vs. RUG delver and merfolk..). Maybe I have to add, that my list is very controllish and slow (i wrote a small report a few pages ago).
In my opinion you have to play a decent amount of disruption in pox (land and/or hand disruption) and creature removal. The lasts slots could be filled with agressive or controllish cards, but to be honest I have not seen any convincing aggro-pox list. (Even though I love to see people trying it @hardcore and friends)
I now play a one-of Bridge mainboard.
I run 5 singleton prison cards mainboard.
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
1 Nether Void
1 Pithing Needle
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Trinisphere
I havent played in a tournament with that list yet.
I might try EtwasSteIne's idea with a tutor card.
Game 1 it means I get one more chance to get the prison card I need in the matchup at hand.
I registered with Pox to a small event last sunday (10 men event)
#1 Grixis Delver
G1 He tempoed me out with daze and a Young Pyromancer on turn 3
G2 I had it all, inquisition, smallpox a shaman, plague on human, lily, etc
G3 He cabal for smallpox and hits , he's left with an unanswered delver for too long, and he wins.
#2 Dead Guy Ale
G1 NoSB on turn 3 takes care of the matchup
G2 I jam a bridge turn 3, but he manages to win with a lot of Blitterblossom tokens backed with a timely Decay on bridge.
G3 is merciless with dark Ritual NoSB on turn two, I win.
#3 Maverick
G1 I lose to a big KotR equiped with a jitte
G2 take forever, I hide behind double bridge, NoSB and Plague on cats forever ( I ask opponent if he concedes a couple of time, but he doesn't answer)
He dies to scroll with 6 minutes left on the clock
G3 Same lock down with Bridge, NoSB, Lily and plague on Cat when they soon call the 5 turns, oh well. Draw.
#4 Miracles
G1 I get the nuts with inquisition and trinisphere early enough backed up with Mishra Beatdown
G2 He'like sensei turn 1, counterbalance turn2.
G3 I keep a triple mishra hand with swamp and thoughtseize. I manage to win with manland.
Didn't play Pox for a while, so that was fun.
Cards I loved to see were IoK, Sinkhole, Smallpox.
Didn't like the hymn at all, al day long.
I like to have information about an opponent's hand and chose accordingly.
Pure card advange(2 for 1) is not always something I want.
I like to disrupt an opponent to open the window for a lock piece.
A friend of mine is playing Rack Pox and I urge him to play the hymn, because it's great in his build,
but in a prison build, information and choices are my way to go.
your reasoning reminds me of shawn riggin's list: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/mag...aily/deck/1112 that's why he eschewed the hymns for the thoughtseizes..i can definitely see the reasoning behind this and agree with it to a certain degree..i have tried both(4 hymns vs more spot discard), and they both have their merits/demerits..i would even say to go ahead and try and use them both at the same time, maybe a 2/2 split? yes, i'd do that..theoretically, that might even be a good configuration in a field where there's aggro, combo and control at the same time..i guess its just a matter of preference..
right now, i'm running with the 4 hymns..there are quite a number of burn players in almost all the LGS i am hanging so i've relegated the thoughtseizes to the board where i'd side them in against control and combo..against miracles, i prefer thoughtseizes over hymn..
i'm actually thinking of replacing a copy of hymn with a one-of thoughtseize..in that way, i can have more turn 1 action and will smoothen the curve a bit..pox' curve is sometimes clogged at the 2-mana slot..
To all the Loam Poxers on here, have any of you guys tried a reanimation package for the sideboard? The deck already runs Entomb, so I think it could be pretty easy to add in Iona and Elesh from the side with 2-3 Exhume. Most Loam lists I've seen run Sylvan Library so digging for one of the pieces is possible. Each of those creatures help with the decks weaknesses, swarm and combo/burn, but maybe I'm missing something. Thoughts?
perhaps they think the Dark Depths Thespian stage combo is good enough? After all it seem literally made for that deck!
I'm not quite sure taking out the thespian's stage combo is worth it to replace with a reanimator package (altough mostly sideboard) the biggest problem is that even with sylvan library it will lack consistency in our colors which you get with tutors and having things you can tutor for in B/G pox.
The upside is that you will be able to have great interaction still because you will have so much discard to force through your fatty and keeping it alive.
Also the biggest weakness is imo omnitell which you mostly solve by having the fatty in hand which will be harder if you have a 1 of Ionna
On another note, for all aggro pox players, have anyone brewed with hangarback walker (I played some standard these last months and think this card will have an impact soon either on mud or pox) it "dies" quite horribly to swords to plowshares but then they are not exiling a mishra's factory or another vital creature so it should work out quite nicely.
If you have any ideas regarding it pls let me know since i like having a creature you actually will be glad to sacrifice to contamination, smallpox, big pox or just chump a goyf for 4-5-6-or more turns.
it is an alternative for control pox, but not aggro decks. The clock is to weak.
I don't see walker being better than worm harvest for loam pox.
What I found a big problem is to choose between creature kill build or Chalice build.
CREATURES (11)
4 Bloodghast
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Nihilith
SORCERIES (17)
4 Pox
4 Smallpox
4 Hymn to Tourach
2 Wrench Mind
3 Toxic Deluge
INSTANTS (4)
4 Disfigure
PLANESWALKERS (3)
3 Liliana of the Veil
ARTIFACTS (3)
3 The Rack
LANDS (22)
4 Bloodstained Mire
16 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
CREATURES (11)
3 Nihilith
4 Bloodghast
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
SORCERIES (14)
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Pox
4 Smallpox
2 Toxic Deluge
INSTANTS (2)
2 Dismember
PLANESWALKERS (4)
4 Liliana of the Veil
ARTIFACTS (10)
4 Chrome Mox
2 Paupers’ Cage
4 Chalice of the Void
LANDS (19)
15 Swamp
4 Bloodstained Mire
I have actually been cutting down on Entombs. I am down to 1. I tend to trim graveyard cards for game 2 and would not want to sideboard into a package that is more graveyard reliant. I also don't run Sylvan Library, I run 2 Sensei's Top instead, life is too important to us to draw extra cards with Library and there are so many shuffle effects that Top can find me cards faster. Top can also be used to protect Life from the Loam from a Surgical Extraction and Top also interacts better with Pernicious Deed.
Crop Rotation for Glacial Chasm or just a turn 4 Marit Lage usually will beat burn(I found that adding Crop Rotaion to the deck made that matchup much more winnable), combo should be a fine matchup because we have so much discard(Sneak and Show and Omni being the exceptions because they can Dig Through time to get out of it, I can usually force them to a point where they Dig for Show and Tell and Omniscience with no other cards in hand and then I get to Maelstrom Pulse the Omniscience while they are waiting to draw their dig spells), and swarm is answered by Tabernacle or Pernicious Deed. If Omni is a match-up you see a lot you could bring in some number of Iona to put in with their Show and Tell like what Lands does with Trinisphere, Nether Void is also and option that is almost always better than Trinisphere in that match-up (Exception is when they have their 1 of Emrakul)
As far as Hangerback Walker goes I don't think we can run any creature that does not come back from the graveyard on it's own. Though that hasn't stopped me from brainstorming lists with Braids, Cabal Minion. I tried Deathrite Shaman when it came out and very quickly realized that non-recursive creatures in a Smallpox deck just don't work.
For more punch, the 'creatures till end of turn' cards tend to out do the recurring threats for damage performance. A combination of Haunted Plate Mail and Chimeric Idol can be devastating in a deck without Mishra's Factories. They can all block or uppercut harder than Nether Spirit, Bloodghast, Reassembling Skeleton, or Ashen Ghoul.
The more pox spells one plays, the bigger the creatures become.
Do you have a list? I thought about including glacial chasm but it just seems so mediocre most of the time not producent mana. My burn match-up is pretty much even without commiting any Cards to the matchup. But maybe It has some other uses?
I have a list I try to update reguraly at http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-02-15-pox-loam/
This is what I play in a close to neutral playing field (we have weekly tournaments with up to 40-50 players)
Even been thinking of going up in colored mana but not sure what to cut exactly. Also I would like to fit 2 chains among my 75 but I simply don't own the card
I'm messing around with loam pox again, I traded into a dark depths and thespians stage. I am including hexmage for very specific reasons: its fantastic against planeswalkers (jace), it gives me threats (a playset of factory is almost impossible to support once silver bullet lands and depths are in there), and lastly that it actually allows for a quicker combo (turn two with a nut draw, turn three with crop rotation and a green source.)
Here's my list for testing:
4x vampire hexmage
3x thoughtseize
3x inquisition of kozilek
1x raven's crime
4x smallpox
4x crop rotation
3x abrupt decay
1x maelstrom pulse
2x sylvan library
4x innocent blood
3x life from the loam
3x liliana of the veil
4x wasteland
4x verdant catacombs
1x bayou
1x overgrown tomb
1x woodland cemetery
3x urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
1x dark depths
1x thespian's stage
1x bojuka bog
1x cabal pit
2x swamp
1x forest
3x barren moor
Sideboard
1x glacial chasm
2x golgari charm
3x pernicious deed
2x shriekmaw
2x pithing needle
2x surgical extraction
2x choke
This seems strong. In order to optimize I may need additional copies of depths/stage, and obviously more bayous. The sideboard is just a stab, but I'm committed to some number of deed, charm, and choke. Rotation allows for sideboarded chasm against burn amd shriekmae is there for show and tell. Not having Krosan Grip for miracles may be incorrect, but I feel that deed does aaot of work against them. Overall, this feels strong. Library and barren moor allow for some great card advantage. Someone mentioned above that library doesn't exactly like to play along with deed and I agree with that. Its come up a few times. I would still keep library in while boarding in deed, but for those matchups both cards are excellent. Comments and advice warmly welcomed.
EDIT: I'm a land or spell short, and I am leaning towards a land. Maybe the 4th urborg?
This is the list I have been playing,(from memory so hopefully I got everything right) I think I swapped -1 Entomb +1 Misty Rainforest for a week or two for the added green source but I have since gone back to this.
I played Chains of Mephistopheles main for SCG Worchester a few months ago because it was supposed to be a heavy blue field, I played 1 blue deck in 7 rounds :(, I also played Nether Void to use against Omni-Show
Spells
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Smallpox
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Hymn to Tourach
3 Crop Rotation
2 Life from the Loam
2 Cabal Therapy
2 Entomb
2 Sensei’s Divining Top
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Raven’s Crime
Creatures
1 Bloodghast
1 Nether Spirit
Lands
4 Bayou
4 Wasteland
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Mishra’s Factory
2 Thespian Stage
2 Misty Rainforest
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 Dark Depths
1 Cabal Pit
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Forest
1 Swamp
Sideboard
2 Chains of Mephistopheles
2 Pernicious Deed
2 Disfigure
2 Extirpate
2 Golgari Charm
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Glacial Chasm
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Duress
I don't want my uppercut to be all my eggs in one basket. Immunity to GY hate and traditional removal can be a boon. I myself don't run the "creature till end of turn" threats save Mishra's, but at least I don't need 'the combo' and my threats are immune to more removal. Some people think that hitting a Marit Lage with a Swords is funny, but people have died with 40 life before... :tongue: That and I love Mono-B consistency. We're also Wasteland resistant, what a bonus. Let's not forget color screw resistant. One of my favs, though irrelevant to many, is the Mono-B approach is just cheaper on the wallet as well.
i run mono black and i can see b/g pox' vulnerability against blood moon and wasteland because of a shakier mana base but i think it makes up for that by offering more efficient answers in abrupt decay, maelstrom pulse and pernicious deed..
i admire the simplicity of mono black, though if i had the cards, i'd most likely give b/g pox a try..
i wouldn't say one is better than the other but both certainly have their merits and demerits, i would say it depends on the player's preference or the meta where he hangs..
i wonder what kinds of decks would either of the two be more effective in? example: in a field full o' burn, i think i'd pick up mono black since we have spinning darkness and nether void is a better fit in our deck, i think nether void would be awkward in a deck running life from the loam?(i could be wrong though, loampox pilots, please share me your thoughts if i am mistaken on this one..)
a BUG infested meta, i think is rough for mono black, based on my experience..i think loampox would perform better in that kind of field..
against which decks would mono black or b/g pox perform better against?
One of the fundamental weaknesses of pox is the top deck win. It doesn't play much at instant speed and opponents can sometimes just brainstorm into three good turns. Traditional pox is also abysmally slow, round time limits are a concern. Depths/stage/crop rotation are so easily splashed and loam is strong as a nonblue form of card advantage. The package fits so well not only as a way to win fast if necessary but also resilient with loam getting lands back. Raw power level, in my humble opinion, is stronger along with adaptability.
Well if you have the correct lock I can't see any singel way for the normal decks to win, I can see multiple top decks with you drawing Stone cold but that's pretty hard IMO.
And for the Nether Void question, yes the loam motor is pretty bad with Nether Void in play so you can't really mainboard it, but the decks you want it against you don't really need it anyways and are more reliant on earlier disruption
i agree with the first sentence, however we have high-impact, proactive answers to attenuate this such as Night Of Souls betrayal, etc..and with Delver of Secrets, Snapcaster Mage, Grim Lavamancer, True-Name Nemesis, Ligering Souls, Mother Of Runes, etc. being legacy's defining creatures; we have basically "extirpated" a big percentage of their deck..furthermore, cursed scroll and liliana is good at handling top-decked creatures..
i suggest a pair of tombstalkers for mono black runners who's having problems closing out a game after establishing control to avoid the opponent from drawing himself back into the game..
Why do people fear BS? As a card game based on card advantage, isn't 4 Smallpox the equivalent of killing 12 Brainstorms? You have to Brainstorm 3 times to recover from a Smallpox. Dig Through Time, Dark confidant, and Life from the Loam. That's real CA. While they're wasting time drawing their 3 good turns in 3 turns, we're punching them for 6 damage minimum (assuming you don't run 1 power threats) We really should be focusing on lessening our 3 worst problems, using the sideboard usually:
Non-land non creature permanents, Graveyard decks, and Ancestral Visions (Dig through Time).
I suppose Pox could include instant speed stuff like Diabolic Edict, funeral Charm, etc. But are you more referring to Instant Speed stack interactions? Suddenly, I consider Null Brooch for some card advantage. We don't care about creatures if it's 1 at a time right? :laugh:
liliana+ the rack+ null brooch