Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
WoTC is 2 for 2 in Modern updates that make me feel like I've been trolled
I'm indifferent about misstep in Legacy. I doubt it was too good, but I'm sure it was annoying to everyone I was misstepping; thought I really hate to see cards banned
Pretty pumped about getting FoF back in type 1 though. Believe it or not, Vintage is probably the best format right now
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
shadowofdoubt9488
Now we return to our regularly scheduled programming; the exhausting to watch Spiral Tide mirror matches that add almost a half an hour to the end of each round.
Dont worry about that they will get stuck in the counterbalanace!
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
joemauer
Counterbalance is a control deck silly.
Joe, improve your manners or get out. Apart from that, Counterbalance is far from a real and dedicated control like Landstill. You keep refusing to acknowledge other people's arguments in other threads which is super annoying already. Now you troll again, stop it unless you lost all self respect.
You see where this is going, right? - Bardo
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
*Echoes all posts already made in this thread, except for the trolls*
EDIT: Especially in regards to Roodmistah (Dreadnought/stifle decks), and Cook (Boners/Instant/Storm)
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Force of Will has long been thought of as a card that helps keep combination decks in check in Legacy and Vintage. However, it doesn't directly help decks that aren't playing blue. One idea that was floated was creating a similar card that could be played in nonblue decks. When Phyrexian mana was designed, it was an opportunity to create such a card. R&D wanted a card that could help fight combination decks, and could also fight blue decks by countering cards such as Brainstorm. Clearly printing a card like this has a lot of risk, but there is also the potential for helping the format a lot. The risk is mitigated, because if it turns out poorly, the DCI can ban the card.
Unfortunately, it turned out poorly. Looking at high-level tournaments, instead of results having blue and nonblue decks playing Mental Misstep, there are more blue decks than ever. The DCI is banning Mental Misstep, with the hopes of restoring the more diverse metagame that existed prior to the printing of Mental Misstep.
God damn I hope they figure out the bolded part some day.
The worst bannings on this list by far are the Extended bannings, because that means they plan on keeping this farce of a format around. When will WotC understand that no one wants to play shitty 4 year Extended, AKA "The same Standard DTBs you got tired of playing against for 2 years, now come play against them for 2 more."
Yay WotC, really? You mean if I go to an Ext GP in the next 3 years I'll get to play vs. Caw Go again? Super-fucking-duper.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Finn
Oh sweet irony.
Whiners on this thread whining that MM was banned due to whiners. How pathetic.
Whiners on this thread whining about whiners on this thread whining that MM was banned due to whiners?
The Source - now with 33% more irony.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
The real problem with Misstep being banned so soon is that its highly doubtful that any of the other 1 drop banned cards will ever come off the list. They are practically 'cemented' in now that misstep is banned.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
(nameless one)
What I don't get is why people are whining about CounterTop. The archetype was already in decline during post Survival ban/Pre Mental Misstep era.
People should think before they start whining, especially about Legacy. What are we, preteens that can't get laid?
Sorry, mom. Next time I'll ask permission. I mean, if it's all right with you?
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
(nameless one)
What I don't get is why people are whining about CounterTop. The archetype was already in decline during post Survival ban/Pre Mental Misstep era.
People should think before they start whining, especially about Legacy. What are we, preteens that can't get laid?
Yeah I don't think Countertop is really even a deck anymore. I mean unless Snapcaster changes something it doesn't have stellar matchups vs. any of the really relevant decks (Zoo, Merfolk, Midrange Bant).
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
33% more. I see what you did there. Very creative. I guess the not-so-subtle difference between whining and gloating is lost on those who need a tissue.
Also, I would be surprised if Snapcaster was able to help out CB in the form it looked last I saw it. That deck was a bit low on inst/sorc for a reliable use I'm guessing.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Legacy suddenly becomes the comboformat modern was yesterday.
I dont expect a diversified metagame since Tendrils and Hightide Decks are the best decks available once again.
They practically killed Stoneblade and Maverick, oh boy.
At least ill try to play Canadian once again.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
(nameless one)
I don't think it's that bad. Legacy was still competitive Pre-MM banning. It's not like what's happening to Modern.
-True, Modern did get gutted pretty badly. Such a shitty format, lmao.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Finn
Oh sweet irony.
Whiners on this thread whining that MM was banned due to whiners. How pathetic.
- Stating facts != whining. But nice try Finn. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by
dontbiteitholmes
Yeah I don't think Countertop is really even a deck anymore. I mean unless Snapcaster changes something it doesn't have stellar matchups vs. any of the really relevant decks (Zoo, Merfolk, Midrange Bant).
- So what deck will keep Storm in check?
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Humphrey
Legacy suddenly becomes the comboformat modern was yesterday.
I dont expect a diversified metagame since Tendrils and Hightide Decks are the best decks available once again.
They practically killed Stoneblade and Maverick, oh boy.
At least ill try to play Canadian once again.
We don't become a combo format. I mean we return to where we were 5 months ago up Batterskull and Dismember. Well, I think the only reasonable option here is to play Merfolk until people put away the combo decks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
DragoFireheart
- So what deck will keep Storm in check?
Team America
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
DragoFireheart
So what deck will keep Storm in check?
Blue Stifle decks/Counterbalance.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Well, I think the only reasonable option here is to play Merfolk until people put away the combo decks again.
You mean lose matches to the combo decks? TES has a surprisingly good matchup against Merfolk, more so with Mental Misstep banned.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
KevinTrudeau
Blue Stifle decks.
Yeah that too, fish with Snapcaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Shax
Well, I think the only reasonable option here is to play Merfolk until people put away the combo decks again.
You mean lose matches to the combo decks? TES has a surprisingly good matchup against Merfolk, more so with Mental Misstep banned.
I hear people say this all the time, but it seems in practice it doesn't always work out this way.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bardo
While MM might be the only true reactive spell on the Legacy banned list (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can see that banning MM will increase diversity and that's fine with me.
Mana Drain, but that stops being reactive once the player untaps with Drain mana.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
please correct me if i am wrong, but i dont remember storm dominating the format pre misstep - post survival. Also wasnt counterbalance falling apart as one of the powerhouse decks before misstep anyway?
As a belcher pilot one thing i noticed was that many people used misstep wrong anyway, countering the first one drop they saw, intead of the biggest threat. Please counter the probe i was using for storm count anyway and let my riite of flame go.
Re: The September 20th 2011 Banned / Restricted List Update Reaction Thread
What I'm most interested in seeing is how many playable, viable CMC=1 cards will increase in price due to the banning of an uncommon Magic card.