Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Thing is, don't you want to play your lands? I don't think the trade-off between choosing to play lands from your hand or not is very rewarding.
I believe it would be better to tie the ability to a minimum number of basics you have to control. Basically, this:
Quote:
{further activation cost necessary for balance}, tap: Draw a card. Activate this ability only if you control X or more basic lands.
Think Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, but with a different drawback.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Continous Knowledge
U
Draw a card
If Continous Knowledge would be exiled from your hand, or graveyard, you may draw a card.
Synergy with Snapcaster Mage, Dig through Time, and Force of Will. Only for hand or graveyard to rule out a potential Continous Knowledge+Surgical Extraction blowout for 4 cards. I don't think it's the most overpowered cantrip, but it is damn strong in the right shell. I would love to have this card :eek:.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
I made my Gaea's library work on trigger to avoid untap and multiple per-turn usages. And even with land tax or in a fish shell, it's still a colorless land that require 1-2 turns of setup to actually work. I'm pretty sure i'd be borderline playable, nothing much better.
To promote basics and combat flood/screw variance, maybe something like this is simpler and better:
LushLands
Land
When Lush Grounds ETB, you may discard a basic land from your hand. If you do, draw a card.
T: add 1 to your mana pool.
Extremely simple, and sort of a reverse-wasteland, in the sense that while waste punishes greed decks, this help non greedy decks that play many lands. Also has additional sinergy for discard and graveyard filling engines. Also, between wastes and this, even a monocolor deck can't run both easily.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Kanti
Continous Knowledge
U
Draw a card
If Continous Knowledge would be exiled from your hand, or graveyard, you may draw a card.
Synergy with Snapcaster Mage, Dig through Time, and Force of Will. Only for hand or graveyard to rule out a potential Continous Knowledge+Surgical Extraction blowout for 4 cards. I don't think it's the most overpowered cantrip, but it is damn strong in the right shell. I would love to have this card :eek:.
It shouldn't work with flashback since the spell goes on the stack, and then exiles from there. It should probably also specify 'exiled face up' just to keep things clear. I have no idea how it would interact with Serum Powder.
IMO the card would be way too strong.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Gheizen64
...
LushLands
Land
When Lush Grounds ETB, you may discard a basic land from your hand. If you do, draw a card.
T: add 1 to your mana pool.
Extremely simple, and sort of a reverse-wasteland, in the sense that while waste punishes greed decks, this help non greedy decks that play many lands. Also has additional synergy for discard and graveyard filling engines. Also, between wastes and this, even a monocolor deck can't run both easily.
Honestly, I think it would be just fine at once per turn, though that would make it very strong in limited.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Stifland - Land
T: add 1 to your mana pool.
T: sacrifice Stifland ~ Stifle
Prolly overpowered and dumb...
What drawback will make this fair?
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
HdH_Cthulhu
Stifland - Land
T: add 1 to your mana pool.
T: sacrifice Stifland ~ Stifle
Prolly overpowered and dumb...
What drawback will make this fair?
I just checked with my buddy at R&D. He says you need to make it blue. :laugh:
More seriously, it's worse than Stifle in many ways, so I'm not sure why you think it's 'overpowered and dumb'.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
rufus
I just checked with my buddy at R&D. He says you need to make it blue. :laugh:
More seriously, it's worse than
Stifle in many ways, so I'm not sure why you think it's 'overpowered and dumb'.
Well its like a wasteland for fetchis + its a landslot that stifles, so shouldnt it be better than Stifle? Maybe even better than wasteland, stormdecks have hard times to deal with lands...
And lol i thoguht about makeing it U, T: ~Stifle
But ok its prolly very easy to play arround so its wrose than a normal Stifle!
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
I find myself wanting a stifle effect that has the pitch mechanic or trap mechanic to cast for free. My thinking is that red would find that attractive for anti combo and land destruction in one. Though I do not know how hard the stance is on denying red that ability.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Finn
I find myself wanting a stifle effect that has the pitch mechanic or trap mechanic to cast for free. My thinking is that red would find that attractive for anti combo and land destruction in one. Though I do not know how hard the stance is on denying red that ability.
How about copy instead of counter, since that's more central to red's portfolio.
Shock Front
:r::r::3:
Instant
You may exile a card from your hand at random rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
Copy target activated or triggered ability controlled by an opponent.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Seems to be in color, though it accomplishes neither of the effects I was looking for. Can't mess with fetchies and does not counter storm. Though that is a nifty toy. You get mana acceleration instead of land destruction and instead of countering the effects of Tendrils, you actually get to kill them with their own spell if I am seeing this correctly.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Finn
Seems to be in color, though it accomplishes neither of the effects I was looking for. Can't mess with fetchies and does not counter storm. Though that is a nifty toy. You get mana acceleration instead of land destruction and instead of countering the effects of Tendrils, you actually get to kill them with their own spell if I am seeing this correctly.
Yeah. I understand that hard counters are important for the game, but I tend to think that effective counters are more fun in practice.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
A better version of Katabatic Winds that keeps the flavor would be cool. Or, a different idea and flavor but a similar effect on flyers.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Something like Tunnel Ignus or smth?
Unstable Tunnel 2RR
Instant
Target player sacrifice a land. Unstable Tunnel can't be countered.
If a land went into a graveyard from anywhere this turn, you may play Unstable Tunnel for R.
Good against fetches and with wastes. Cost reduction to R to avoid easy chains with Waste-> triple tunnel for 0.
A fun "red" effect.
Chaos of Knowledge RR
Enchantment
If a player would search his library, he draw a card instead.
Basically turn all fetches and tutors into cantrips. It also double as deck thinning for you when you don't need lands anymore. Not sure how actually good the effect is, but it seems a pretty fun fetch hoser. Also hose infernal tutors, KotR, SFM, intuition. Would hose an eventual unbanned survival.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Gheizen64
Something like Tunnel Ignus or smth?
Unstable Tunnel 2RR
Instant
Target player sacrifice a land. Unstable Tunnel can't be countered.
If a land went into a graveyard from anywhere this turn, you may play Unstable Tunnel for R.
Good against fetches and with wastes. Cost reduction to R to avoid easy chains with Waste-> triple tunnel for 0.
This is much too strong, especially considering your own fetchlands will allow the conditional cost.
Quote:
Chaos of Knowledge RR
Enchantment
If a player would search his or her own library, he or she draws a card instead
It would be a little unclear how it works with cards like Tithe and "search target player's library" cards like Extract. There's some interesting interaction with other cards like Maralen of the Mornsong.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
rufus
This is much too strong, especially considering your own fetchlands will allow the conditional cost.
Right. I guess "if your opponent sacrificed a land this turn" may be a better conditional? Simpler to understand and work only against fetches, not with your own wastes.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Gheizen64
Right. I guess "if your opponent sacrificed a land this turn" may be a better conditional? Simpler to understand and work only against fetches, not with your own wastes.
Definitely better; it still seems too strong to me, but it's not so clear anymore. (WotC will not be printing strong land destruction like that any time soon.) There are many ways to force people to sac lands like Tectonic Break,Smallpox, Devastating Dreams, or Smokestack and conditional ones like Akki Blizzard Herder, Crack the Earth and your proposed card.
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
What could be maindeckable combo disruption for non-blue colors that fits into the color pie?
For white, I'm think about something like this:
Pitch Thalia :1::w::w:
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay Pitch Thalia’s mana cost.
Flash
Vigilance
Noncreature spells cost :1: more to cast.
1/3
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
What could be maindeckable combo disruption for non-blue colors that fits into the color pie?
For white, I'm think about something like this:
Pitch Thalia :1::w::w:
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay Pitch Thalia’s mana cost.
Flash
Vigilance
Noncreature spells cost :1: more to cast.
1/3
lol... you mean very narrow to the point of stupid, you really hate storm don't you? =D or cantrips... just wondering why it isn't x/4 for 4
would make sense if it died and left until the end of turn fx
Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
What could be maindeckable combo disruption for non-blue colors that fits into the color pie?
For white, I'm think about something like this:
Pitch Thalia :1::w::w:
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay Pitch Thalia’s mana cost.
Flash
Vigilance
Noncreature spells cost :1: more to cast.
1/3
That would actually be pretty cool....