sounds almost exactly like my line of thought. also, the additional colorless sources open up the (admittedly not spectacular, but potentially worth mentioning) warping wail. mainly for when your meta is flooded with sneak and show.
Printable View
sounds almost exactly like my line of thought. also, the additional colorless sources open up the (admittedly not spectacular, but potentially worth mentioning) warping wail. mainly for when your meta is flooded with sneak and show.
Triskaidekaphobia
This one...:laugh:
Shadows over Innistrad RareQuote:
Triskaidekaphobia 3B
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep choose 1:
-Each player at 13 life loses the game. Then each player gains 1 life.
-Each player at 13 life loses the game. Then each player loses 1 life.
Using last week's deck i went 3-1 today. Lost to miracles first round, then defeated elves, loam pox and another miracles deck.
It is good to finally have a working configuration.
How's the Lands matchup? and Triskaidekaphobia is hilarious, but i don't think we get to use it.
Lands is grinding. It is particularly annoying to try surgical loam and have him cycle a land in response.
Keeping him from green mana was key.
I have lost badly to loam decks running dark depths. Maybe i should run leyline of the void rather than surgicals.
I've never liked Leyline, I usually prefer a surgical/extraction style effect, but if you're looking for a generic 'everything goes' I wouldn't be opposed to looking at planar void either. Extirpate/surgical don't get hit by Krosan Grip. My issue is that I never draw well against our local lands player for games 2-3 (WtH am I supposed to do when he sees more ports than I find basics and natural assembles Lage on turn 6 through that anyways?) so my data is skewed.
right now my sideboard is
3 pithing needle
4 chalice of the void
4 engineered plague
2 surgical extraction
2 extirpate
I have another two surgicals i could put in there.
I also need to hate Miracles and DnT more. Hymn helped a lot yesterday against the former. I may add Chain of Smog, and toxic deluge.
4 engineered plague
4 surgical extraction
2 extirpate
2 toxic deluge
3 chain of smog
perhaps this better. Or maybe not.
I'm diving into the Pox-archetype again, this time Aggro Pox, and look what did they spoiled:
http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/...2965112179.jpg
Could this work?
3 recurring creature, but which one?
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Bloodghast
3 Dismember
4 Funeral Charm
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Smallpox
4 Pox
2 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Liliana of the Veil
24 lands
Now I understand, there is no way one would splash blue for just one card, but is it possible to make this one work?
And yes, i took Hardcore's deck as a reference :smile:
I think the most interesting options of all you mentionned would be Reassembling Skeleton cos it's the only one (in those you mentionned) which can come back at the end of your opponent's turn.
So the Prized amalgam would be untapped and ready to attack on your turn.
All others, can just come back at your upkeep so you'll get a 3/3 tapped at end of your turn.
Yeah, RS is on my mind too. It would get Prized Almagam back on the field for sure. Of course, if I would throw in some Fetch, that would also give some sort of reassurance.
Gravecrawler. It may work with Geralf's messenger too.
I like it, but it may best for zombardment.
Unless you're playing an aggressive card drawing engine and more basics than usually make their home in a 2-color pox mana base, you don't have the ability to consistently get cards into your hand and hit the four mana for geralf's masterpiece. Personally i don't dislike running a few Entomb, and I think that many people underestimate how relevant a light splash is in this archetype, as I've had a surprising amount of success with just splashing 3-4 abrupt decay as the only green cards. mana base usually looks something like 4 on guild fetch, 1-3 black fetch, 1 off black basic, 1-2 dual, 2-3 urborg, 4 wasteland, (potential for mainland, factory or w/e is your on-color tar pit or shambling vent style dude) and the rust up to 24 or 25 land is basic swamp, so for your deck, something like
4 wasteland
3 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
4 polluted delta
1 Island
1 Underground Sea
2 verdant catacomb
9 swamp
@ Quitrex: even with such a manabase four mana seems a bit much with Pox and Smallpox in the deck. Seems to me it won't bring PA consistently 'back from the dead', which is the goal in the first place.
Regarding carddrawing: perhaps four Bob's? Then three SDT would be appropiate.
PA doesn't care if you can cast it first. you have a surprisingly consistent BB on turn 2 and BBB on turn 3 is more common than having and wanting to cast pox on turn 3. you also have the option of blue hate cards (chill anyone?). that same mana base has very little trouble with either abrupt decay or smallpox on turn 2, and the fetch lands will make EoT bloodghast easier. you can turn a couple more basics into fetches if you want, but i don't recommend more than two more. I can't condone bob in pox, as you have multiple things that force you to sac creatures when you want to keep drawing cards, and there are many matches where your life total is already under a lot of pressure (guess who doesn't help with that!) If you want a huge number of cards in hand, either find room for more colorless lands and use Sea Gate Wreckage or build a loam version. one of the things about traditional pox builds is that they want to capitalize on minimizing everybody's resources. If you're just interested in limiting the other guy's resources, i'd look at shardless variants first.
Why do you even need to splash for that card? Aren't discard effects, bloodghast or grave crawler good enough for recursion of this. You literally never have to cast this card. I still think it is worse than just running nether spirit or bloodghast in general. But if you really want to run this you honesty never have to legitimately cast it. Discarding it to liliana, smallpox, etc should be enough to get it into your yard, then recurring other creatures seems a good enough way to get it back.
If you really want to have a mana base for bug colors just look at my shardless pox build that I wrote about on hipsters of the coast in the brew corner column. That mana base has worked really well for me. You could likely change the lumbering falls for creeping tarpit
you splash for it because, especially if you're running 4 of it, there will be cases where you want to cast it. you don't plan on casting it, granted, but you want to be able to when it comes up that that is actually the play you need to make. if you're only running white for lingering souls and ray of revelation in a loam pox version, doesn't it make sense to just run one scrubland so that you can cast the front end when it comes up that you want to? same thing.
Hi guys, I would like your advise.
I've been playing the deck for 2 years now (my favorite MTG deck ever btw)
I keep being told that BUG Delver is a favorable matchup
... but I have yet to actualy win an actual matchup against the beast.
They always have "that last abrupt decay"
to break through a Liliana of the veil an ensanring bridge or a trinisphere
How do you approach the matchup?
Here is my build for reference, I'm having good results with it at my lgs so far. (if I don't have to face a BUG deck)
I even had an opponent raged-quit once (living the dream)!
Nothing fancy here, I like my build clean and right to the point.
1 Nether Spirit
1 Nether Void
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
1 Trinisphere
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Innocent Blood
4 Smallpox
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Sinkhole
3 Cursed Scroll
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Dark Ritual
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Wasteland
12 Swamp
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 3 Engineered Plague
SB: 1 Trinisphere
SB: 3 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
SB: 1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
@ Quitrex: I see your reasoning, but with 12 discard-effects (16 if you would Hymn yourself) I think getting PA into the GY wouldn't be a big problem. In those rare cases you do want to cast it, well... I take my chances :smile:
@ coricho: sorry, can't help you. It's been too long since I played against Delver.decks with Pox.
BUG Delver has 3 problems Pox doesn't like dealing with. Bob, DRS, and Jace. I'm not sure who told you the matchup was favorable but I humbly disagree. I've fought BUG Delver less than a dozen times and I don't ever have favorable matches against them. I too run a traditional Mono-B build so I know where you're coming from.
In the case of Abrupt Decay, the only 'flavor' of Mono-B Pox I've run that crushes such things utterly was Contamination Pox. Can't cast BG without the G. If you've managed to Needle DRS, they'd be unable to play several of their cards. The ultimate top-deck killer. The problem though is the setup required to make it work. You'd need 2-3 Crucible with a mix of 6 N. Spirit and Mishra's Factory.
On the one hand, when it works, it seals games practically perfect. On the other hand, if it doesn't work, you're ability to disrupt is hamstrung since you end up devoting a few cards to the 'combo'.
Nether Void I've yet to test fully but I think it'd work supposing you're not fighting Show & Tell dropping Omniscience, which in turn makes Contamination sad. Trinisphere & Nether Void backing it up is overkill and we all like overkill... :cool:
BUG can't handle big creatures.
Try Tombstalker or something.
IOW focus more on winning than setting up a lock.
I can definitely back up stalker vs bug delver. They do sometimes run a copy or 2 of dismember but that isn't an issue since they have to find it after we check their hand or we snag it, then they have to have enough life or mana to cast it and that doesn't give them much time since stalker is a great clock
@ Omnistrata, Hardcore and Mykatdied
thank you for your adivise
My "prison" aproach in that perticular matchup was probably a mistake since they can break free of the prison with Abrupt decay, Maelstorm Pulse.
I will add a pair of Tombstalker to my sideboard and see what good he does.
I suppose he's not that bad against combo either, as a clock after a couple of turn disrupting the opponent.
GY hate is easier in Legacy now than ever before. This is one of the reasons why R. Duke's older builds that ignore the GY mostly are what I use these days. Having things like Crucible and large numbers of GY 'hopping' creatures will convince your opponent to bring in the hate asap.
The paranoid may bring it in just for Nether Spirit but usually not. I am tempted to try a 'stompy' approach with lock pieces but I'd have to order Chalices to really maximize my capabilities.
I'd need to find 12 beefy as hell threats which isn't hard in mono B and the other locks. Probably 4 Chalice & 4 Trinisphere but then I'd be losing out on my Inquisition, Innocent Blood, Dark Ritual, and it'd hamper Hymn and Sinkhole. My life without Sinkhole is no life at all... :frown:
I once thought as you do about my sinkholes. I have seen the light, and they aren't as necessary as they once felt, although it is still entertaining to consider when you expect a lot of delver decks, especially 18-19 land versions.
Wasteland and Sinkhole are married damn it. :laugh: The only reason other decks run Wasteland without Sinkhole is cause they're not mono-B. Only reason I don't run Rancid Earth is because Big Pox is the same price and much, much better return on the mana cost.
I want to have the best mana denial deck in my meta and by all that is sexy... I WILL HAVE IT! MUAHAHAH! :cool:
Luckily my meta isn't full of non-mana decks. Things like Omniscience, mana-less dredge, certain combo etc... Mana dorks get needled or Plagued so I'm not too concerned about those. Artifacts I have to have Kegs and Bombs setup. That pretty much gives me only 1 turn to stall.
The day MtG can be played with no mana is the day I quit playing and weep all over my Pox cards, Sinkholes, and Wastelands.
Emotional ranting aside, I have included Tomby for my sideboard which now looks like this.
2 Pithing Needle
1 Powder Keg
1 Ratchet Bomb
2 Tombstalker
4 Engineered Plague
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
2 Extirpate
2 Relic of Progenitus
4-5-6 setup for GY, Creatures, and Control respectively. Pox doesn't like control decks that draws and cantrips so having 6 cards to crush them is a good call.
I once ran 3-5-7 but ran out of space and need a more diverse setup.
only one it works on is Deathrite. Cursed totem, however...
By control I figure you mean miracles. I am thinking of adding more discard in sideboard vs that match up. After all, my Hymns ruined my opponents day last time.
Another change for me is to try Plague Spitter.
miracles flinches whenever needle, pox, hymn, liliana, or chalice hits the stack. if i really feel spiteful, i put a couple copies of gloom in the board.
My typo [facepalm]. Needle on DRS works since I don't run targeted removal anymore (no cursed scrolls). DRS tends to exile my Nether Spirit as well.
My Miracles friend finds Cursed Scroll amusing if it's the only threat as 2 dmg isn't enough for Jace. That and brawling with weenies is what Gamera does best. :smile:
Random question: am I the only one that's flirted with the idea of Dessert as a 1-2 of in creature heavy metas? I acknowledge that it's probably not good, but it seems interesting.
If you want to use lands for creature defense, I've found Cabal Pit and Maze of Ith to be the ultimate answers. The Pit when coupled with Crucible becomes a Cursed Scroll that can't hurt players/planeswalkers but ignores Leyline of Sanctity and indestructible.
Maze of Ith had a fantastic price drop and will stop any biggie from crushing your skull if your sac effects whiff. What's more, your big threats like Tomby and the like can gain pseudo vigilance which will frustrate some players.
Quicksand would also work as it doesn't need threshold, but it's colorless and can't deal with fliers at all. But it's kind of funny just as a flavor.
ATTACK!! Oh noes... *blub blub blub*