Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Now we got some actual mechanics from the Duels decks to discuss:
http://cdn1.mtggoldfish.com/images/g...5BDDP%255D.jpghttp://cdn1.mtggoldfish.com/images/g...5BDDP%255D.jpghttp://cdn1.mtggoldfish.com/images/g...5BDDP%255D.jpghttp://cdn1.mtggoldfish.com/images/g...5BDDP%255D.jpghttp://cdn1.mtggoldfish.com/images/g...5BDDP%255D.jpg
Ingest seems like a pure limited format mechanic from a practical point of view, although other Eldrazi like Oblivion Sower seem to work with it.
Devoid is pretty uninspiring.
Awaken is probably not good enough for Legacy.
Allies are also back.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Devoid is just giving a title to a card much like the colour stamps you get on flipped cards that hold a colour identity. A while back Wizards said they had works out a way to make colorless commander decks work, I am betting this is the start of that process.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Awaken is probably not good enough for Legacy.
I fully expect "Destroy target creature" with Awaken 1 to cost somewhere in the range of :7::b::b::g:.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dice_Box
Devoid is just giving a title to a card much like the colour stamps you get on flipped cards that hold a colour identity. A while back Wizards said they had works out a way to make colorless commander decks work, I am betting this is the start of that process.
Now that you mention it, didn't they also say that they fixed the problem with colorless basics? I think you're onto something here.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Awaken is probably too weak for legacy, but boy do I think it is cool :smile:.
Edit - also I don't think it is that overpriced - at common you get a 3/3 for 5W that destroys a tapped creature, and that can be cast at your option for half as much. I can see a discard or cantrip awken card seeing play if it's cheap enough?
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Now that you mention it, didn't they also say that they fixed the problem with colorless basics? I think you're onto something here.
Nice catch
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
With these smaller devoid Eldrazi maybe Eye of Ugin could become useful?
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
What's the over/under on a Ghostfire reprint with the new keyword in this set?
Quote:
Ingest seems like a pure limited format mechanic from a practical point of view, although other Eldrazi like Oblivion Sower seem to work with it.
The ability to clip cantrips is significant, and there are creatures which are playable for their vanilla stats. They might be crazy enough to print something like this:
:r:
Haste
Ingest (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles the top card of his or her library.)
2/1
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cire
With these smaller devoid Eldrazi maybe Eye of Ugin could become useful?
That's an interesting thought, although the colored mana part is diminishing the potential usefulness if more cards are like Forerunner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cire
Awaken is probably too weak for legacy, but boy do I think it is cool :smile:.
Edit - also I don't think it is that overpriced - at common you get a 3/3 for 5W that destroys a tapped creature, and that can be cast at your option for half as much. I can see a discard or cantrip awken card seeing play if it's cheap enough?
Maybe I should RTFC, since I thought it was discard - get effect, instead being an alternate casting cost. Well, that makes it a tad bit nicer.
Is the CMC of said card 3 or 6 on the stack if you cast it for its Awaken cost?
Edit: @rufus: The more interesting part about Ingest are the Eldrazi cards that interact with exiled cards, like Oblivion Sower, assuming we get cards that are cheap enough with a decent effect. DRS, RiP and Relic of Progenitus would open up some exciting lines if we get anything powerful out of this.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
...
Is the CMC of said card 3 or 6 on the stack if you cast it for its Awaken cost?
It's 3.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Casting something for an alternative cost doesn't change its CMC. Force has a CMC of 5 regardless of how you set it on the table.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
Why would it not be 6?
CMC cannot be changed it's in the right hand corner. X spells have a CMC of X+Color while on the stack, 0 in other zones.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
That's an interesting thought, although the colored mana part is diminishing the potential usefulness if more cards are like Forerunner.
Yeah but Dominator drone gives me some hope that there will be come good {2}{C} costed eldrazi that make it worth it.
Also Ghostfire Blade becomes more useful I guess?
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Hardly ever seen something more ugly than bi-color eldrazi
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Lemnear
Hardly ever seen something more ugly than bi-color eldrazi
I wonder why the Eldrazi still have colored frames according to their mana cost DESPITE being colorless. Because that makes no sense. Ghostfire had a colorless frame.
The new Eldrazi drones look like Neo-Slivers and the old Eldrazi drones had some love children.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Forerunner of Slaughter, huh?
http://i.imgur.com/RA9CwNb.jpg
Anyway, I'm looking forward to some cheap maindeckable colorless removal for Mother of Runes (one can dream, right).
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Ugh...those Eldrazi look incredibly aggressive in Limited. I hope they aren't a sign of things to come; I don't want another blazing-fast beatdown set like ZZW or Origins.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Too bad they most likely won't reprint All is Dust in BFZ because of its tribal card type.
Re: [BFZ]Battle for Zendikar spoilers thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Megadeus
Why would it not be 6?
This isn't Fuse cards. ACCs don't become the actual casting cost. That's why a Chalice on 5 counters a Force of Will cast for its ACC; or a Chalice on 2 counters a Daze, even if you've returned an Island to cast that Daze.