-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
lordofthepit
This might be the most retarded thing I've seen since Candelabra:
http://magiccards.info/ds/en/148.html
$55 for a Mirrodin card?!
It's a confirmation of the "herd mentality" running rampant in speculators these days. As soon as something is nearly sold out, one of the few stores with the card remaining in stock will jack the price up to obscene amounts, and the rest will follow suit.
Will people actually pay this much? It isn't like Wasteland which is in a ton of decks. To put everything in perspective, it's the same price as Tarmogoyf according to that site!!!
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
jazzykat
Will people actually pay this much? It isn't like Wasteland which is in a ton of decks. To put everything in perspective, it's the same price as Tarmogoyf according to that site!!!
It's not just that. Check eBay. They regularly go higher. I just saw the Judge one when looking at the link, and since I love the old artifact border, I looked to eBay for one. 75 $. The non-foils are about 40-50 $. And L&S is almost as bad. What the heck happened? EDH shouldn't be able to do this. Abort, abort!
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
lordofthepit
I simply don't understand how such a narrow card from a relatively modern set--played usually as a one-of in Legacy and EDH, and essentially not in any other formats at all--can command more than $30, let alone $50.
This isn't a multiple format all-star like Goyf, and it certainly doesn't see play in that many archetypes. This is just simply a ridiculous price for a card that I've generally been underwhelmed with when I do include it in my decks.
It's as though a recent EDH surge caused all of the SoFIs to be bought out at a slightly high, but still reasonable price tag of $20, and one store just decided to jack up the price as high as they could for shits and giggles to see if anyone would bite. And lo and behold, because of the speculators' mentality of not wanting to be caught behind, that becomes the new retaier price.
And for the record, I picked up a playset back in the Angel Stompy days, so this isn't a disgruntled rant because I can no longer afford SoFIs. This is really alarming for the game.
As a matter of fact yesterday they were sold out at SCG and were 25. Then later that night they were 50$ which was the same for most of the other online stores. I have no clue why Sword of Fire and Ice is this much. It's only played as a one-of almost exclusively. There is no way this card is reaching values like Tarmogoyf. The only thing reason I can think of it going this high is due to speculation but that doesn't even make sense. SoFI is a known quantity. Its value has mostly been the same for awhile... why jack it up so high?
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
dahcmai
A good example of the opposite is M10. That set got a ton of people buying it not just for drafting, but just plain cracking boxes since it was such a good deal. It crushed the prices and drove them low. Glacial Fortress is a great card, used in a ton of decks including the darling of the scene Caw Blade. Why is it a 2 dollar card? They opened that much product. Worldwake wasn't opened even close to that.
Actually, I think it was. Jace TMS was in there, remember? I think that drove a lot of people to dig for the golden ticket.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dragon_Whelp
Actually, I think it was. Jace TMS was in there, remember? I think that drove a lot of people to dig for the golden ticket.
It surely drove some people to buy packs/boxes, but it wasn't a sure shot at all. Given the rest of the set was pretty worthless, buying Jace straight up was a better bet for many people.
Regarding SoFI, this is getting quite ridiculous. I keep hearing about "legacy going the way of vintage" these days... Well if EHD really has the power to jack the prices up on staples like that, it too, will go down with the rest.
If this can happen on a 1-of in most decks, what keeps say... Ports from hitting 60$?
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
SoF&I at $55 is the most ridiculous MtG related thing I have ever seen, and I really mean that. I got mine a few months ago for $7 plus shipping off of eBay, now I can sell it off and get most of what will be my third Underground Sea. This is no doubt because of that Caw Blade deck that came into the public eye via an article on SCG. Idiot speculators.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
There was a video on Channelfireball where LSV praised it to the skies. Could possibly have had some impact as well
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Sword of Fire and Ice at these price sickens me. Its played as a one of in EDH or legacy. There more then enough swords around for just about everyone. Speculators are getting greedy running around buying these swords up causing inflated prices. On a side note FOW is now selling online for $70+ . Even with this price hike this is a lot more reasonable as there are alot less forces out their then swords.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Reading this topic i wanted to add that in Aregntine you have to multiply your prices by 4!!! So here is even harder!
I got my tnacle and moat as soon as i can when i saw them. Curiously i bought nacle for 100 dolars 1 or 2 years ago!!! I know it was really cheap! I had luck. Moat was for 175 dolars, and my last adquisiton, Diamond Valley, was for 100 dolars each. My wife wanted to kill me! :)
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
KindGrind
It surely drove some people to buy packs/boxes, but it wasn't a sure shot at all. Given the rest of the set was pretty worthless, buying Jace straight up was a better bet for many people.
In about ten packs, I managed to hit him twice. Once was just a random booster, the other was one I bought from a guy who won a tourney. I told him there'd be a Jace in there, and he laughed and said that if there was, he wanted to trade for it. He let me choose a pack and everything (Out of the ten he won). Resulted in me getting most of the cheap playsets I needed for Dragon Stompy, the rest of his packs (Yeah, I know, but I wanted to be nice to the poor guy) and an English Karakas. Probably also something else that I'm forgetting. Regardless, he was pissed and still is whenever I bring it up.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
I've opened 4 booster boxes of WWK. Zero JTMSes. Poor me.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
dahcmai
2nd sets are always tricky to get foils and high demand rares for. Drafting doesn't last long with the second set so there's not much out there.
Minor bone to pick here. Traditionally its the 3rd set that's tricksy to find the high demand stuff for because of the reasons you gave. WWK is special in this regard because ROE is a standalone and changed the draft format. The draft format including the 3rd set is usually 1 pack from each set of the block, which continues opening the 2nd set. Zen block was different because it was only 2 sets to draft then on to triple ROE.
I'd say we should compare overextended lists, but I'm not sure Michigan has a deep enough cardpool for both of us. :P
Was going to suggest that it was the judge promo that spiked that high, but the regular ones are up there too...wow.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
GradStudentGuy
Sword of Fire and Ice at these price sickens me.
WHAT?!
Jitte is at 20€ that's in no way proportional in any way. SoFaI will always be Jitte's retarded brother.
For the record, I can easily get SofaI for less then 20€ on ebay, and 50€ for the foil one so something must be off. The price just isn't correct, it really can't be.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Nessaja
WHAT?!
Jitte is at 20€ that's in no way proportional in any way. SoFaI will always be Jitte's retarded brother.
For the record, I can easily get SofaI for less then 20€ on ebay, and 50€ for the foil one so something must be off. The price just isn't correct, it really can't be.
I looked there again. Now the foils seem to have gone slightly up, while the normals went slightly down. But it's still largely the same. Can you find any auctions at the prices you mention?
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
GradStudentGuy
Sword of Fire and Ice at these price sickens me.
Same here. This is insane.
I really hate that WoTC will make EDH an official format. For me the most fun thing about EDH was that you could find overcosted "crap" rares in binders that almost cost no money at all but were absolutely awsome in EDH.
I guess those days will be over...
Anyway people spending that much money on such a mediocre card should really take a look at the value of money.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
There's 5 buy-it-now's and lots of auctions that I strongly doubt will go higher then the buy-it-nows. That totals to 11 SoFaI's for less then 20€.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Nessaja
There's 5 buy-it-now's and lots of auctions that I strongly doubt will go higher then the buy-it-nows. That totals to 11 SoFaI's for less then 20€.
I only see a book as buy-it-nows around that price. The cards are still at 50. And auctions don't really count until they're over. I know I live in Denmark and that there might be a difference, but... I doubt it.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
There's two in holland, buy it now for €17.99 and €19.99.
And a few foil ones (int'l) for €50+.
On magiccardmarket theres enough 'cheap' ones btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Nessaja
WHAT?!
Jitte is at 20€ that's in no way proportional in any way. SoFaI will always be Jitte's retarded brother.
For the record, I can easily get SofaI for less then 20€ on ebay, and 50€ for the foil one so something must be off. The price just isn't correct, it really can't be.
I guess its smart to get some Jittes before they are 30+ each
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dragon_Whelp
I only see a book as buy-it-nows around that price. The cards are still at 50. And auctions don't really count until they're over. I know I live in Denmark and that there might be a difference, but... I doubt it.
That's because you have a different ebay then I have. Try .nl. There are two in the netherlands (3 each I think) and 3 in Italy. Don't tell people they're wrong when they aren't =/
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Nessaja
That's because you have a different ebay then I have. Try .nl. There are two in the netherlands (3 each I think) and 3 in Italy. Don't tell people they're wrong when they aren't =/
I did say that there might be a difference since I lived in Denmark. But I'm sorry if I offended you.
But let me know how the new auctions that get up after these look. I' curious about whether other countries will pick up on the high price or let it go down again.