-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
SilentHill
Hello,
I did a google search and I stumbled upon this thread/forum.
I quit playing MTG years ago, but I have a lot of the stuff that is "hot" right now. I Played from Ice Age to Apocalypse and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what commons/uncommons are "hot" from this block? My cousin helped me out a little bit he said Priest of Titania were selling for $3/$4 a piece on eBay. I have like 15 of them. (I bought a lot of the urza's block. Have the entire set of Saga)
I know brainwash is worth a couple bucks a piece too and probably voltic key. Any other cards that were once considered junk rares or uncommons / commons I might have lying around that I could probably sell?
Thanks!
edit: also is there a better place to sell cards than eBay?
Any legendary lands you see are money. As far as uncommons go someone else could touch on that.
Other than ebay there is magic traders for selling. They can help with individual pricing questions too.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Ice Age block:
Brainstorm, Baron Sengir, Merchant Scroll, Force of Will
Mirage Block:
Enlightened/Worldly/Mystical Tutor, Elephant Grass
Tempest Block:
Ancient Tomb, Wasteland, Crystalline Sliver, Lotus Petal, Price of Progress
there's more, but I gotta go :p
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
What I do when I am drafting an old set and just want to keep an eye out for money uncommons/rares that I might not normally think are worth anything is use http://deckbox.org/games/mtg/cards. It's simple but effective; just do an advanced search a few sets at a time and then make them organize by price. The prices listed there are from stores and not quite what you should expect on ebay, but generally a bit lower than the lowest end prices is realistically what you can sell that card for ebay. That will give you a good sense of which cards are worth the time of selling and roughly what you could get for them on ebay.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
With ebay too you have to sell as playsets to actually get close to the prices you want, and you still won't get very close to retail on cards worth under $5.
Force of Will, Wasteland, Ancient Tomb, Lotus Petal, Priest of Titania, Mother of Runes, etc are all worth a couple bucks or a lot more than that from those periods. I think Dream Halls was an uncommon too?
Submerges, Brainstorms, Dazes, Diabolic Edicts, etc - these will be a dollar bill here and there also a piece, so good to sell in sets on ebay, but they're also so low end you may just want to throw them in the bulk if you have like 12 of each or more since the ebay fees would eat you alive.
You can try selling on MTG sites but players will want them much cheaper than retail so you'll either get ebay fees without the prices or a bit less depending on the card, and it won't be a fast move at all.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
alright cool! thanks a bunch I think I have a good start but if anyone can think of any more it would be awesome:
I found:
17x Brainstorm
11x Priest of Titania
5x daze
1x Goblin Lackey
8x unglued lands
4x mother of runes
4x rancor
4x tinker
7x lotus petal
2x force of will (gold bordered world edition)
plus a ton of misc rares i found were worth something (show and tell, metalworker, grim monolith, dustbowl, tangle wire, Doomsday, 4x signed rishadan port, DCI Promo Gaea's cradle + wasteland + Damnation)
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Gold-Bordered is worth a fraction of the regular, though.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr.C
Gold-Bordered is worth a fraction of the regular, though.
Yea they are like $15/ piece on eBay.. I have a set of 4 alliances ones in mint condition but I don;t want to separate my vintage deck. We've been through too much together lol.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr.C
Ice Age block:
Brainstorm, Baron Sengir, Merchant Scroll, Force of Will
Homelands isn't part of the Ice Age block.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
SilentHill
Yea they are like $15/ piece on eBay.. I have a set of 4 alliances ones in mint condition but I don;t want to separate my vintage deck. We've been through too much together lol.
About half of that, judging by the last slew of auctions.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
If you aren't in any rush to dump the cards, it's worth noting that this shit is not going down in price any time soon. So it never hurts to take your time. If I had had more foresight and patience when I was selling my stuff I would have made an extra $400 easy.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
danyul
If you aren't in any rush to dump the cards, it's worth noting that this shit is not going down in price any time soon. So it never hurts to take your time. If I had had more foresight and patience when I was selling my stuff I would have made an extra $400 easy.
When I was in high school in 1995 a friend of mine acquired a box of Revised. Some years passed and he still had it sealed. I asked him if he wanted to open it or sell it. He said that he was going to save it until he could sell it for $10,000. I laughed my ass off!
He still has it, sealed.
Maybe when we're 80 he'll be getting the last laugh...!
What's hilarious to me about Magic is when people say "if you ever sell, you could get $x back", but they also say that they could never part with the cards. You never make the money if you don't sell!
I have sold, but I doubt I would ever again. I'm in a situation again where I have too many extra cards lying around. It's all getting traded in for any amount of store credit I can get for it. You'd be amazing what kind of satisfaction you can have from having a small, finely organized, collection.
They say what does up must come down. I think it seems that since the reserved list exists, the game really exists for collectors whether I like it or not so it's safe to say that given inflation and increased value in out of print cards, mtg will continue to be kind to your collection... unless you play standard, ;)
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dragon_Whelp
Homelands isn't part of the Ice Age block.
Coldsnap is an aberration.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Mr.C
Coldsnap is an aberration.
...And Homelands isn't?
Besides, you're still wrong.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
It didn't take long guys. English, non-foil Mental Misstep is now $419 on TheManaCrypt. Get them while you still can: http://www.themanacrypt.com/products...mental+misstep
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
lordofthepit
Damn.
My plan for buying up all copies so that no one could ever use it against me might just take slightly longer than I had expected now.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
I don't understand how they can expect anyone to actually pay that price. Could it be an input error?
I mean, there's hype and there's hype.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Finn
I don't understand how they can expect anyone to actually pay that price. Could it be an input error?
I mean, there's hype and there's hype.
Pretty sure it's a typo ^^.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Yeah, I assume someone meant to type $4.19 and accidentally $419.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
Least the hype is starting to subside. I picked up several cards today at much less than normal online prices since they seemed to be in abundance. Here's some predictions for you people if you like that sort of thing. I'm usually pretty dead on.
Mental Misstep - $3 normal / Foil - $20 (notice it's already falling off and I caught the fact that people have a hell of a time jamming it into established decks) As we said, it's damned good, but not I'm putting this in all decks good as suspected. Spell Snare should have taught people a lesson. It's in that range.
Karn - $20 (incidentally, I got one for that today)
Batterskull - $25 (sadly, it's actually good)
Sword of War/Peace - $30 (damage ratios awesome, but protection is meh)
Phyrexian Obliterator - $15 (It's persecutor, except a tad better)
Foil Dismember - $5 (It does look really hot as a foil)
Everything else is pretty meh and most Legacy players are going to not care a bit anyway as we won't use most of it. There's one more I'm not mentioning since I haven't got my foils of it yet and I hate fueling speculators, but it's going to be a staple.
-
Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard
I wish Gitaxian Probe was going to be worth something have like 15 of them <_<
Also, had a Karn yesterday for all of 15 minutes, ended up getting 2 Urabrask, 1 Praetors grasp, 1 Surgical Extraction, 2 Missteps, 1 Sheoldred, 2 Foil Probes, and a slag fiend for it.
I think I dun good.
Lol. No batterskull though, and I had an obliterator for all of 30 seconds, got two fetches for it.
All in all, I thought it was a good day.