Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Spoilers taken from Reddit
Sagas are back. Full land basics are also there, which look "interesting".
Treacherous Blessing seems pretty decent - draw three for :2::b: isn't too shabby if you have a way to get rid of it.
Elspeth is also back, although the card is kinda meh. It previews the Escape mechanics where you can recast the card from the GY for its Escape cost.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
The Elspeth is from the PW deck as it's 255 of a 254 card set so presumably there will be a playable Elspeth in the main set.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
labyrinth will make standard an even worse planeswalker format
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
bruizar
labyrinth will make standard an even worse planeswalker format
Don't worry, they'll add a bunch of hexproof and it'll be a non factor
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Full land basics are also there, which look "interesting".
I don't even know what to think, I like them and hate them at the same time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Smuggo
The Elspeth is from the PW deck as it's 255 of a 254 card set so presumably there will be a playable Elspeth in the main set.
Not any more, the numbering scheme has changed. This will be "pack" Elspeth, since there isn't extended art Planeswalkers in the "starter" decks.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
H
I don't even know what to think, I like them and hate them at the same time...
I feel the same - the art is good, but they look like energy cards for Pokemon (or resource cards of other card games) instead of actual lands.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
I feel the same - the art is good, but they look like energy cards for Pokemon (or resource cards of other card games) instead of actual lands.
Yeah, I like the art, in-itself, as art. I don't much like them as "Lands" since, like you say, they aren't lands. I actually like them thematically, in the Underworld, or whatever, there isn't actual "land" and yet I still hate them, because they are supposed to be Lands.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
H
I don't even know what to think, I like them and hate them at the same time...
Not any more, the numbering scheme has changed. This will be "pack" Elspeth, since there isn't extended art Planeswalkers in the "starter" decks.
Oh ok... any info on the new numbering? I wasn't aware of this.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Spoilers taken from Reddit
Treacherous Blessing seems pretty decent - draw three for :2::b: isn't too shabby if you have a way to get rid of it.
#notLegacy but Vraska, golgari queen easily disposes of it in standard and draws you a card from it to boot.
I'm excited about the sagas, and about the "lands" even though I agree with H on this. I like the art, but they don't feel like lands. Maybe I'll like them when i see them in my hand/on the board and change my mind.
Underworld dreams got a reprint at uncommon.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
I'm still trying to figure out why Elspeth's -3 is by far the worst and most useless ability. Literally all I can think of is trolling by the devs.
I will definitely not be playing with those lands, but I'm not mad at WotC for experimenting. To quote a great elevator operator: "Look, it's 100 floors of frights! They're not all gonna be hits!"
I think there is a good chance one of the better decks of Frontier is going to be BWx Doom Foretold/Starfield of Nyx. The black "draw 3" enchantment is pretty much exactly what that deck was looking for, and a bunch of good new sagas certainly won't hurt either.
I mean,
4x Trial of Ambition
4x Treacherous Blessing
4x Oath of Kaya
4x Doom Foretold
4x Starfield of Nyx
Is 20 cards that really don't suck. Throw in some mass removal, some lifegain, and a 'walker or three, some targeted discard, plus maybe a little more card draw, and you've got a pretty solid deck with very strong sideboard options.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Smuggo
Oh ok... any info on the new numbering? I wasn't aware of this.
I don't know of anything said officially, but here is the list: over at MTGNexus.
As you can see, the Borderless Planeswalkers come right after the "regular" set numbered cards. But since this new set won't have "Storybook" cards, or "Brawl" cards, we don't really know the exact number scheme when it will come to the Planewalker starter deck things, per se.
But since we already know that the set has "254" cards, as per Wizards, this Elspeth being 255 means it is likely the "Borderless Planewalker" version.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Blessing is also pretty interesting with Estrid's Invocation - draw three in each of your upkeeps for free? Yes, please. You only need a way to get around the excessive life loss.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Hoping that the Escape mechanic gives Lands something good as we can Dredge into cards and play them out.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
You only need a way to get around the excessive life loss.
Do you think it is that excessive? Isn't the life loss comparable to Dark Confidant or Phyrexian Arena in an average game?
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
Blessing is also pretty interesting with
Estrid's Invocation - draw three in each of your upkeeps for free? Yes, please. You only need a way to get around the excessive life loss.
It self sacrifices upon targeting so I don't think it would work that way. You could copy it once but that is it. Right?
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
ronco
It self sacrifices upon targeting so I don't think it would work that way. You could copy it once but that is it. Right?
Invocation, like most copy effects, does not target.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
in case you lose the original one, can you self target it?
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
H
Invocation, like most copy effects, does not target.
Duh, RTFC. I just assumed it did. My bad.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
filln
Hoping that the Escape mechanic gives Lands something good as we can Dredge into cards and play them out.
I'm thinking that all the escapes will be too safely costed, much like Embalm and Eternalize were. Like they'll all have exile 4 cards or some other high number so unless there's some super broken card they'll all only be able to cast them once.
Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Barook
I feel the same - the art is good, but they look like energy cards for Pokemon (or resource cards of other card games) instead of actual lands.
You could actually get a few of them for those decks that like to float or filter mana. Like how on-camera streams have those tokens with the die on them. Too bad there's no wastes for KCI.