-
[Deck] Bant
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DTBF Philosophy & Deck Selection , June 2011 Update
1, Merfolk
2, Team America
3, Maverick
4, Zoo
5, Painter
6, Sneak Attack
7, Pro Bant
GP Providence Day Two Archetype Breakdown
Merfolk 33
Zoo 16
UW Landstill 13
Bant 8
Team America 8
Dredge 7
Junk 6
Affinity 5
Natural Order Bant 5
Caw-Blade 4
Painted Stone 4
Reanimator 4
Ad Nauseum 3
BW Weenie 3
BUG Landstill 3
Goblins 3
DTBF Philosophy & Deck Selection September 2010 Update
1, Vengevine = 10.7%
2, Merfolk = 8.85%
3, Dredge = 7.16%
4, Goblins = 6.77%
5, Zoo = 6.47%
6, CounterTop = 5.16%
7, TES = 4.54%
8, New Horizons = 4.46%
9, Bant = 4.16%
DTBF Philosophy & Deck Selection August 2010 Update
1, Zoo = 10.08%
2, Merfolk = 8.47%
3, Goblins = 6.45%
4, Bant = 4.84%
5, Landstill = 4.44%
2010-08-01 GP Columbus
Day 2 Metagame Breakdown
Zoo 20
Bant* 16
CounterTop 12
Merfolk 10
Goblins 10
Aluren 7
Land 6
Belcher 6
ANT 5
Landstill 7
*(Including New Horizons and Natural Order variants)
2009-09 ~ 2009-12 DTB Status
1, CounterTop = 164 (Bant CounterTop + Bant NOProg CounterTop = 84)
2, ANT = 155
3, Tempo Threshold = 150
4, Dredge = 140
5, Merfolk = 115
6, Goblin = 107
7, Zoo = 78
8, Faerie = 61
9, Bant Aggro = 59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010-03-16, update Mystic Control/Bant deck
2010-03-01, update Pro Bant of GP Madrid Top 8
2010-01-26, update "Sylvan Library"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Color
:u::g::w: (U+G+W)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type
Bant Aggro (Aggro-Control)
Pro Bant (Aggro-Control-Combo)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
History
Exalted ability (Noble Hierarch, Qasali Pridemage), creature with artifact/enchantment hate (Qasali Pridemage), and 3cc 3/4 lifelink creature (Rhox War Monk) created this deck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main Deck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Draw (4~8)
4 x Brainstorm
0~4 x Ponder
0~2 x Sensei's Divining Top
0~2 x Sylvan Library
Counters (7~11)
4 x Force of Will
3~4 x Daze
0~3 x Spell Snare : 1cc against 2cc
0~3 x Spell Pierce : 1cc against noncreature spell
Removal (4~8)
4 x Swords to Plowshares
0~4 x Path to Exile : 1cc remove target creature
Counter/Removal
0~2 x Bant Charm : put on the bottom of library/counter instant spell
Creatures
4 x Noble Hierarch
4 x Tarmogoyf
3~4 x Qasali Pridemage : against artifact/enchantment and exalted
3~4 x Rhox War Monk
0~2 x Trygon Predator : against artifact/enchantment, flying
0~2 x Vendilion Clique : the best 3cc flying blue creature
0~2 x Loaming Shaman
0~4 x Stoneforge Mystic
Combo (Pro Bant only)
3 x Natural Order
1 x Progenitus : 10/10 Protection from everything
0~1 x Dryad Arbor : land creature for Natural Order
Land (18 or 19)
8~9 x Fetch land (Misty Rainforest , Windswept Heath , Flooded Strand)
6~7 x Dual land (Tropical Island , Tundra , Savannah)
1~2 x Island
1~2 x Forest
1~2 x Plains
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sideboard (15)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] against red-based deck
Blue Elemental Blast , Hydroblast
- Zoo/Burn
- Goblin
[2] destroy artifact/enchantment
Krosan Grip , Trygon Predator
[3] graveyard hate
Tormod's Crypt , Relic of Progenitus , Faerie Macabre
- Dredge
- Aggro Loam
[4] Combo
Gaddock Teeg --> against ANT, Landstill, Stax, etc.
[5] removal
Submerge : best removal against green-based creature
Path to Exile
Engineered Explosives
[6] Other
Umezawa's Jitte
Meddling Mage
Threads of Disloyalty
Divert
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Banned !!
Counterbalance
=> Superme Blue CounterTop, Bant CounterTop, Pro Bant CounterTop => CounterTop Thread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reference
- Horizon Canopy + Wasteland + Stifle = New Horizons Thread
- UGW + Survival of the Fittest = Bant Survival Thread
- White tempo threshold = UGw Tempo Thread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question :
1. How about these cards in the main deck ?
Creature :
1-1. 0~3 x Knight of the Reliquary
1-2. 0~2 x Sower of Temptation --> 4cc 2/2 flying
1-3. 0~2 x Rafiq of the Many --> 4cc 3/3 exalted
1-4. 0~4 x Nimble Mongoose --> same as UGW threshold
1-5. 0~4 x Spellstutter Sprite --> counter-spell creature
Planeswalker :
1-6. 0~2 x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1-7. 0~2 x Garruk Wildspeaker
1-8, How about this ? one, two, or three ?
http://sales.starcitygames.com/cards...ndSculptor.jpg
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Finally, a Bant thread. There are some things you can do to improve it.
I think you should post up some match up analysis and SB plans.
You should also explain the advantage and disadvantage of NO/Pro in Bant aggro.
Another big thing I know everyone would ask is why ditching CounterTop, so you should post your reasons as well.
Just my 2 cents trying to make this thread better.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
I think that NO/Pro is probably the best thing for the deck. I like that they worry about Goyf and War Monk that they dont see Prog coming. Also if you are going to run NO/Pro, you definitely need Dryad Arbor in the deck. The fact you can fetch out something to sac. Yeah losing a Heirarch isn't a huge deal, but sometimes they just arent there. Also most decks can't deal with Prog.
I run CounterTop as well. The fact the deck runs 1-5 mana costs makes it very nice. Yeah 3-5 are on the slim, but they are still in the deck if needed.
For sideboarding...I like to actually side out CounterTop because a lot of decks will bring in hate for it. Then they sit there holding K. Grip or whatever with nothing to hit.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Hello,
I think Divert is a good choice for the SB against Discard and else. Sorry if iŽam wrong.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
I think Daze needs justification in this deck, especially because it seems to play differently than other variants.
Also, what makes a deck "Bant Aggro" / "Pro Bant"? Is this list Pro Bant? http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=30742
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
mchainmail
A "Pro Bant" deck have the Natural Order (NO) + Progenitus (Pro Bant.. PROgenitus).
That is the only difference between the two decks, the PROgenitus strategy.
Cyah,
Lammina
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
This thread is an excellent idea (and overdue in my opinion) but I think more justification is required for the specific card choices and, equally if not more importantly, the omissions (Jitte; Sower; Counterbalance- which sees play in most of the lists I've seen; etc.). Sure, you can take it for granted that Force of Will and Brainstorm (particularly in NO versions) are four-ofs, and likely a few other cards, such as Tarmogoyf, simply because they outclass other options in your colours, but most other cards demand logical justification if you're to speak with authority about why the deck is built the way it is. For example, I would not take it for granted that playing a minimum of three dazes is mandatory in this deck without some very firm grounding for that argument. Similarly, I do not see the logic behind determining that precisely 4 swords are mandatory (when you essentially have access to 8). Could the correct minimum number not be 3 or 5 or something else? Steve Menendian's new bant list (which may or may not be good) runs 7, for example.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
GUnit
For example, I would not take it for granted that playing a minimum of three dazes is mandatory in this deck without some very firm grounding for that argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
mchainmail
I think Daze needs justification in this deck, especially because it seems to play differently than other variants.
In the ProBant builds, especially those with Counterbalance, I think 3-4 Daze is pretty mandatory. The deck's Sorcery speed card count is very high for an agro control deck and having free protection allows the deck to tap out aggressively shifting board position. It may be less relevant in the builds that don't curve out to 4cc cards. Some of the builds seem to bulk more at 2cc, so in those lists I could see the deck more often having mana available to utilize Spell Pierce or Spell Snare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
GUnit
Similarly, I do not see the logic behind determining that precisely 4 swords are mandatory (when you essentially have access to 8). Could the correct minimum number not be 3 or 5 or something else? Steve Menendian's new bant list (which may or may not be good) runs 7, for example.
The OP lists 4-8 removal effects; which given how creature heavy the meta is seems very reasonable. I think in this deck Swords to Plowshares complements the strategy more than Path to Exile. Ones opponent generally is going to be more dangerous with an additional mana at their disposal than an additional ~4 life; the deck is built with the ability to fight and win an attrition battle, and it's not looking to 20->0 asap in the way that Zoo or something is. One could easily run 5-7 removal spells, but they should probably be 4 Swords to Plowshares and X Path to Exiles.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
My point was moreso to suggest that you might be able to get away with 3 swords, or it might be absolutely mandatory to play at least 5, in which case, if we're sticking with the theme of declaring things to be absolutely mandatory (a potentially dangerous approach in my opinion), the minimum should be one of those numbers, or there should be some justification for the seemingly arbitrary number 4. When considering other card slots in this deck there is no such direct analogue (as there is with swords and path), so it can be taken for granted that if we're playing four we just want "as many as we can get." In this case, however, we can actually have more of the "same" card, so that implied argument flies straight out the window and there is a burden to justify why precisely four is the correct minimum.
Arguing about this specifically, though, I think isn't in anyone's best interest. The point I was trying to raise is that card selections, including numbers, and omissions should be justified and not simply taken for granted.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
This is my list (which hasn't changed in about 4 months)
4 Noble Heirarch
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Trygon Predator
3 Rhox War Monk
2 Quasali Pridemage
1 Progenitus
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
2 Spell Snare
3 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Natural Order
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Windswept Heath
2 Flooded Strand
3 Tropical Island
2 Tundra
1 Savannah
2 Forest
1 Plains
2 Island
1 Dryad Arbor
------------------
SB
2 Gaddock Teeg
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Path to Exile
2 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Hydroblast
2 Krosan Grip
I've done well with this deck - but have had problems vs. Goblins, Merfolk, and Dredge.
I can switch some numbers in the deck for metagame reasons - usually swapping slots between Trygon Predator/Pridemage and the 4th Rhox War Monk.
The 7 plow effects after boarding can really give a lot of problems to decks that don't swarm or have secondary win conditions that aren't creatures. (Counterbalance). I rarely side out Natural Order.
It is a bit of a mystery to me that the deck has been seeing it's most popularity when paired with Counterbalance/Top. I tried that configuration - taking out Ponders and some creatures, and have had no success with it. Again, I may be playing it incorrectly.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Goblins and Dredge hate Propaganda and Ghostly Prison. I had problems with those matchups, especially Goblins, but now I don't because of those cards.
Engineered Explosives is good against Merfolk and Dredge while also being excellent against Zoo and random BGW decks that kick Bant's butt.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
On the whole number of swords issue. I run 4 StP main and 3 Path side. I like 4 swords main, and only swords, because if you are facing a non creature deck, they are dead draws and you don't want dead draws. All though most decks do run creatures so therefore have 4 seems like the right numbers. Path is a great card but the fact that you are giving them extra mana to threaten you is no good. You don't want to give Zoo more mountains to burn you out with or anything like that.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Why is counterbalance 'banned' for this deck? I realize that it is suboptimal against some decks but it is back breaking in others. What do you do aagainst Ant or T.E.S without balance? I mean I find that its really one of the only ways to do it.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
If you run Counterbalance, then your deck is a Counterbalance variant.
"Bant Aggro" refers to the more aggressive variants that skip CB in favor of a stronger beatdown plan.
Incidentally, Rhox War Monk provides a similar clock to Counterbalance. Turn 1 Hierarch, turn 2 RWM, turn 3 swing forces your opponent to come up with like 11-12 storm for the kill. With more swings, it becomes impossible to win off of Ad Nauseum (due to low life), and impossible to kill you with IGG or other methods (due to your high life), so you win.
Clearly bant aggro does worse against TES than the CB lists, but it's not unwinnable by any means. Also, no matter what happens, you're opening with Force and Daze in the main, so you can always salvage the combo matchups with board material.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Is 3 ponder to much? I like 2.
wouldn't you wanna play with 4 natural order cause it's so good? If they counter one cast the next, and if they're not playin counters ... win ... it's faster!
Why trygon and pridemage why not just pick the better one and be consistent?
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Tarmogoyf
6. Wouldn't you wanna play with 4 natural order cause it's so good?
This is an excellent question.
My build plays...
4 Natural Order
1 Rafiq of the Many
1 Progenitus
I have yet to see a good argument against this approach.
Natural Order is an absolute bomb. On those feared occasions where I had a Progenitus in hand and no Brainstorm to shuffle it back into the library, I still won off the back of NOing for Rafiq of the Many which made my attack with either Goyf or RMW that turn absolutely massive and game swinging. It's pretty hard to lose when RMW gains you eight life while dealing eight damage, and Tarmogoyf deals an absurd 12 damage. There were many situations I was in where I opted to NO for Rafiq instead of Progentitus because that was actually the superior option in that case.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
That nice guy
Is 3 ponder to much? I like 2.
wouldn't you wanna play with 4 natural order cause it's so good? If they counter one cast the next, and if they're not playin counters ... win ... it's faster!
Why trygon and pridemage why not just pick the better one and be consistent?
TP is better against Stax and multiple Enchantment/Artifact decks. It also dodges Firespout vs Japanese Supreme Blue.
QP is better for "Kill it now" and has Exalted.
The singleton of TP is so if you absolutely must, you can NO for it. For Bant Aggro, I wouldn't run Rafiq because of his vulnerability to bolt and no way to recur him like you can in Survival builds.
EDIT: Also, running 3 copies is fine. You can cantrip into it. It's 4 mana, which can be a chore sometimes, so if you don't have 4 mana, it's kinda dead. The deck is supposed to be solid without it is what I gathered.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
chokin
TP is better against Stax and multiple Enchantment/Artifact decks. It also dodges Firespout vs Japanese Supreme Blue.
The opponent can always pay :g: for Firespout to kill Predator in game one. I doubt it would stay in game two.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Aggro_zombies
The opponent can always pay :g: for Firespout to kill Predator in game one. I doubt it would stay in game two.
I know. But it could kill theirs too if they played it, ya know? And Stax could always O-Ring it. Or in some builds, Maze of Ith it forever. I guess the JSB point was too weak of an argument, so I stand corrected.
I think it was you who originally shot down Rafiq in some other post saying something about how your "bomb" being Bolt-able is really lackluster. And I agree for this deck.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
chokin
I think it was you who originally shot down Rafiq in some other post saying something about how your "bomb" being Bolt-able is really lackluster. And I agree for this deck.
Was I? I don't remember that, but I'm flattered someone does.
Allow me to change my opinion somewhat based on metagame considerations. Rafiq is probably an interesting sideboard card, but it's debatable as to whether or not he's better than other options. For one thing, he's not very good against Zoo, for obvious reasons. However, in the mirror he seems like he could be rather backbreaking, especially if you've got Vendillion Clique, Predator, or RWM. In the former two cases, he represents a huge amount of damage in the air, making it difficult to race with Progenitus if the opponent has taken any prior damage; in the latter case, he makes it virtually impossible to race because of the dramatic life swings in your favor (and RMW with a 4/5 body and double strike will almost certainly punch through any opposing Tarmogoyfs). He can be quite good as a surprise finisher against control, and at four mana he's not easy to EE. Finally, he seems better in a way against combo since he can win faster than Progenitus by allowing a preexisting Tarmogoyf to swing when he comes down for 8+, but it's somewhat of a moot point because you're less interested in firing off Natural Order than in just beating the stuffing out of the other guy as quickly as possible.
Basically, he seems really good in the matchups where it won't take much work to protect him, if only because he wins Goyf wars, and wins them HARD. However, it's questionable whether you'd want him in the sideboard over Empyrial Archangel, which is better against Zoo and burn decks than Progenitus because it keeps you from getting burned out and has flying to mimic the unblockability of protection. In most cases, I don't think he's actively bad; he's just not good enough.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
mchainmail
Some times you need to play the role of the aggressor and without countertop that job becomes easier. Daze helps you play this role.
If rarique sucks perhaps Loxodon Hierarch would be a good target as a 1 of in the SB. Any other 4 drop/5 dro ideas???
Also I was wondering if anyone had experience with Dueling Grounds??? I admittedly have no experiance with the card but it seems to be a good 1of.
Does anyone think wall of blossoms is good enough to cut something (say 4th pridemage) cause it sacs, digs, is a great late-game rip, and slows agro.
Also I was wondering if anyone had experiance with Circle of Protection Red??? I admittedly have no experience with the card but it seems that the mana intensity would be a bit to much.
I've also found that I can't win against enchantress I'm 0-3 in tourney with this deck. I've even debated running EE and tranquility in the board. I alo can't beat 43 land, any ideas?
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
@aggro_zombies - I could be wrong. It was in the CounterTop thread somewhere. Yes, in the mirror or mirror-esque matches, Rafiq just pushes you over the top. He's your fourth 4cc finisher. You can lock the ground up with Goyfs and Monks and then drop him and start going nuts with an Exalted Double Striking RWM and start winning. They either take 8 or more to the face, or start losing board position. Just beware of STP.
@that nice guy - Rafiq isn't all awful. My post may have been misleading. He just has a niche role. And Loxodon Hierarch is not very good in my opinion. Dueling Grounds is decent enough for the aggro match with all of the Exalted, but multiple copies do nothing, which kinda sucks. No to Wall of Blossoms if you ask me, simply because RWM and Goyf are the best walls that can also turn sideways. Why run CoP: Red when you could probably squeeze in Counterbalance? EE as a 2-3 of will help your Enchantress match. It also helps 43 lands, as it can nuke Exploration/Manabond and Moxen. Try to counter their Loam and Crypt it. Or respond to a Loam with a Crpyt.
The most successful builds I've personally witnessed were Counterbalance builds. With a variety of 1-4cc spells, you bust the mirror match. That's something to think about when constructing.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
To clarify, I didn't bring up Rafiq just because he's a strong finisher.
I brought up Rafiq because he's a strong finisher that you can both hardcast, or Natural Order for if you have Progenitus in hand and thus can't NO for Prog. Thus, this enables NO to be played as a 4 of.
And in some situations even if you don't have Prog in hand, you're better off NOing for Rafiq and winning the game that very same turn rather than NOing for Progenitus and giving your opponent another turn.
To sum up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Clark Kant
My build plays...
4 Natural Order
1 Rafiq of the Many
1 Progenitus
I have yet to see a good argument against this approach.
Natural Order is an absolute bomb. On those feared occasions where I had a Progenitus in hand and no Brainstorm to shuffle it back into the library, I still won off the back of NOing for Rafiq of the Many which made my attack with either Goyf or RMW that turn absolutely massive and game swinging. It's pretty hard to lose when RMW gains you eight life while dealing eight damage, and Tarmogoyf deals an absurd 12 damage. There were many situations I was in where I opted to NO for Rafiq instead of Progentitus because that was actually the superior option in that case.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Here's my build:
// Lands
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
3 [A] Tropical Island
3 [R] Tundra
4 [TE] Wasteland
2 [ON] Windswept Heath
2 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [MR] Plains (1)
1 [ALA] Forest (3)
1 [7E] Island (2)
// Creatures
4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
4 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
3 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
2 [DIS] Azorius Guildmage
// Spells
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [IA] Brainstorm
4 [NE] Daze
4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
4 [A] Swords to Plowshares
3 [DIS] Spell Snare
1 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 [IA] Hydroblast
SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 2 [CFX] Path to Exile
SB: 2 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
SB: 2 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
Notable changes are lack of RWM and the addition of Guildmage, Elspeth, and more counters. I personally love drawing Guildmage and believe that Noble makes it playable here. Stifle on a stick and its tap ability are huge for this deck.
This deck is more suited for my meta, as I don't see an overwhelming amount of Lightning Bolt. Though if I do I often just change the the Cliques to RWM. I play this as straight tempo, but have the Guildmages and Elspeth to give me reach. This deck can wreak havoc on CB decks, which I do enjoy.
As far as this thread goes, I can see it going in at least 3 directions.
-Tempo builds
-NO builds
-Aggro builds
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
2009-09 ~ 2009-12 DTB Status
1, CounterTop = 164 (Bant CounterTop + Bant NOProg CounterTop = 84)
2, ANT = 155
3, Tempo Threshold = 150
4, Dredge = 140
5, Merfolk = 115
6, Goblin = 107
7, Zoo = 78
8, Faerie = 61
9, Bant Aggro = 59
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Loam Lion
w
Creature - Cat Uncommon
Loam Lion gets +1/+2 as long as you control a Forest.
1/1
I think we have a white kird in Bant Aggro, even not for fow.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
I don't like Loam Lion in this deck, because there are many better first turn plays (ponder,brainstorm,noble). But what wasn't previously posted i think that Sylvan library fits in - one or two copies. It provides mana free and repeatable way not to draw progenitus, is great card with fetches and best with active RWM, in my opinion.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Just a few hours after my previous post, I found out that somebody has the same idea with Sylvan and won 65 people GPT:http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=31937.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
I can sum up some sylvan arguments: It is not that aggro, but it provides many options in this deck, and late game advantage. It costs 2, but i doubt somebody will spell snare it. It is good on itself, just brainstorming every turn for free, make sure you dont draw progenitus. In some combo matchups it can win you games, because your life doesnt really matter (depends on type of combo), but what do matter, are two or more additional cards. If needed it can turn your RWM into finkel. I know that deck is supposed to be more aggro, but i think that even an aggro deck needs cards like these. In my opinion it is better two drop than 2/3 tarmogoyf (depends), if you arent able to play turn two RWM or if you are able but you want to play around daze.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Hey guys, I'm bringing Bant Aggro to a small tourney this weekend, I'm wondering if you guys could help me with sideboard strategy.
I'm playing this list: http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=31937
I expect the field to be:
Highly likely: Dragon Stompy, Enchantress, W Stax, ANT
Likely: Merfolk, Goblin, Countertop, Burn
Unlikely: Loam, Land, Zoo
I'm wondering if you guys can help me decide on a SB, and which cards would be good for which MU.
Much appreciated!
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Maindeck Trygon Predators. Like, 3 or 4 of them. If you land one against Wstax it's basically a win, and enchantress has problems with them if they come out early. Against D-stompy, they smash 3spheres and chalices. That's basically the dream meta for trygon.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
3 or 4 TP is too much. Have 3 between your main and side. If you aren't running any artifacts or enchantments, Serenity is a really good card against Stax and it's ok against Enchantress. Just be sure to pack grave hate too to prevent Enchantress from recovering with Replenish or have a counter ready.
Oh, and always pack at least 2 Krosan Grip. It helps against Humility, as Moat is killed by TP.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Thanks for the info guys, it's very helpful.
Btw, any tips on what I should side in against Burn, Goblin, and Dragon? I'd assume I should pack some anti-red stuff in the SB to hit them all, right?
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
I would cut the 2 Loaming Shamans. Because they do nothing in your meta.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Quote:
Originally Posted by
alphacat
Thanks for the info guys, it's very helpful.
Btw, any tips on what I should side in against Burn, Goblin, and Dragon? I'd assume I should pack some anti-red stuff in the SB to hit them all, right?
I would pack some hydroblasts / Blue elemental blasts. I run 3 in my sideboard.
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Okej, I' m playing this list (not if I'm in the Netherlands because there's to much combo :P)
Pro Aggro Bant:
land:
3 tundra
3 tropical island
1 savannah
1 dryad arbor (I'm not really sure of this guy^^)
1 plains
1 forest
1 island
7 U-fetch
Creatures:
4 goyf
2 qasali pridemage
3 RWM
2 vendilion clique (it owns so hard, first I was playing trygon predator/cold-eyed selkie but this one is better)
4 noble hierarch
1 rafiq of the many
1 progenitus
Spells:
4 stp
3 daze
3 natural order
2 sylvan library (mostly it doesn't get countered so)
4 force of will
2 ponder (replace wirh jitte??)
4 brainstorm
2 bant charm
1 echoing truth
Sideboard:
2 ghotsly prison/cold-eyed selkie/trygon predator
2 kitchen finks
2 krosan grip
3 relic of progenitus
2 ethersworn canonist
4 mindbreak trap (for killing combo :P)
Now, the problem is that I'm in a Combo-Aggro meta so it's so hard somtimes...
What should I do against Aggro (zoo and gobbs), maybe put jittes main, then I have an even better matchup?
And against merfolk it's also alot of time very hard.
So sideboard-help would be nice!
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
Firespout is the best way against Merfolk/Zoo/Goblin, so I decide to add red color into Bant aggo, like SupermeBlue without coutertop.
Firespout Bant (UGWR)
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Rhox War Monk
2 Vendilion Clique
2 Trygon Predator
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Spell Snare
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Firespout
1 Island
1 Forest
1 Plains
4 Flooded Strand
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
3 Volcanic Island
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
And what do u play sideboard, just stuff against combo :P??
Post it plz
If I would play with red, I would go counterbalance top^^
-
Re: [Deck] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant
I am a bit surprised Stoneforge Mystic isn't discussed in this thread. This Worldwake card fits perfectly into the deck as it is another body, comes with cardadvantage and tutors the most broken equipment in every situation.
Something like this works very well in a Bant Aggro deck without NO/Prog:
2 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
The virtually 5 Equipment pieces transform every creature, even Noble Hierarch, into good beaters.