Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Shard Phoenix would wipe your entire board, so he's not that great. Plus, his buyback is RRR, which isn't generally a problem, but can be at times. In the list of cards you posted that hit the yard, that's 18 cards plus whatever creatures you control get nixed (+19), and Fledgling is a one-of. It shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I am also considering putting in a couple fetches to help out with that problem. I'm still not certain yet if I should, as dropping a fetch post-City then having it get Stifled is really bad.

I'd be open for more options if another creature came by, but this one is quite effective. Tutoring for Shivan is good and I've never finished a game without Thresh if I would've had the mana to cast Fledgling late game anyways.

Could you maybe swap Jaya with Llawan, Cephalid Empress?

I have been thinking of something like this:

4xImperial Recruiter
    4x Painter’s Servant
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    3x Llawan, Cephalid Empress

4x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Pyroblast
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Millstone
    2x Ponder
    2x Active Volcanoe
    3x Counterbalance
    3x Sensei’s Divining Top

4x Volcanic Island
    3x Chrome Mox
    4x Wooded Foothills
    6x Mountain
    3x Island
    2x Academy Ruins

SIDEBOARD NOT DEVELOPED YET!!!

I playtested this deck last week.
    First I was wondering why weren't more people interested by that deck.
    Now I know... this is one of the most boring deck ever, plus it isn't even that strong.
    The other versions are way more interesting (the monoBlue and the GBU one).

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Thread moved to established. Be sure to check out this deck's performance in the UK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Thread moved to established. Be sure to check out this deck's performance in the UK!
    And on a side-note, I'm affraid we'll soon be seing this monster in the DTBF.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Oil Sheikh
    May 2007
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Sea R Hill View Post
    Now I know... this is one of the most boring deck ever, plus it isn't even that strong.
    I doubt it, it probably receives less atention because few people want to buy a playset of recruiters, which are essential to the deck, and if you're never going to play the deck, why post about it? That's what i guess the general mindset is.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Darn, I 'only' have three recruiters. Does it take a serious consistency hit with three? Should I bite the bullet and get a fourth?

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Darn, I 'only' have three recruiters. Does it take a serious consistency hit with three? Should I bite the bullet and get a fourth?
    Yes. Recruiter is probably the best card in this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Well, that all depends. Just about every card in the deck is situational. Turn one is certainly key, and there's no better play in Imperial Painter than Magus of the Moon on the first turn.

EDIT: Awesome the deck got moved to Established!

crypt is a required card, mb or sb and most of yalls lists dont have it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggl3s View Post
    crypt is a required card, mb or sb and most of yalls lists dont have it at all.
    Crypt is counterable. Faerie Macabre is fetchable with Recruiter, and can't be Forced.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    Crypt is counterable. Faerie Macabre is fetchable with Recruiter, and can't be Forced.
    Ah i see.

That means we have to MB at least 3 of those spirits..

Kicker of Elves
    Jul 2008
    Kingston Ont. Canada

I see the Painter Servant + Grindstone combo in a lot of decks in my area, everything from red based Imperial Painter right down to B/U mill.

Is the Red Imperial Painter version the strongest application? That Painter + Countertop list that was posted eariler looks like it could have some potential, as the tutor options in blue should speed up your combo or at least make it more consistent.
    Last edited by Wereodile; 07-09-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: my english sucks

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Wereodile View Post
    Is the Red Imperial Painter version the strongest application? That Painter + Countertop list that was posted eariler looks like it could have some potential, as the tutor options in blue should speed up your combo or at least make it more consistent.
    I haven't had much experience with PainterStone yet, but I can tell you, I played against a TarmoTop version with a build-in PainterStone, and it got whooped by my stax. Imperial Painter seems the way to go, because it really abuses all the potential of Painter (which also makes it very painter-dependant, but there are ways to protect it).
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Feb 2008
    Houston, TX

Imperial Painter definitely abuses Servant the most, and is most dependent on it. That's why having 4 Recruiters is so important. Speaking of dependence on Servant, has anyone seen Scarcrone just spoiled from Eventide? It is tutorable, it reanimates Servant (also making a reusable chump blocker), and can be a draw engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea R Hill View Post
    That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Unfortunately, I don't know which planet you live on because last time I checked blowing up your opponents' permanents with one-mana instants seems pretty fun to me.

This deck has more large tournament placings than any other Painter build in existence, so calling it "not that strong" shows you've done no research on the matter and simply blurted out ignorance for the sake of blurting out ignorance. The deck is inherently powerful and while there certainly are other lists which are strong, this variation has garnered the most attention because of how well it has done in such a short period of time.

Also, I really like that new Scarecrone creature. He'll definitely find a place in my build. I have to fish for a foil one before the 19th!

EDIT: Oh wait, damn it won't be legal. Oh well.

Feb 2008
    Houston, TX

Originally Posted by Sea R Hill View Post
    I've heard others badmouth this deck too despite its results so far. And while time will tell whether this deck is really good or not, I think there are a few reasons people might doubt this deck:
    1. MWS shuffling sucks and gives people the wrong impression of many decks, like this one.
    2. Some people aren't used to having to mulligan as much you have to with a "Stompy" manabase.
    3. Because this deck is still new and kind of unique, many people don't know how to play it. I'm certainly still learning.

The fact of the matter is that the deck has shown results multiple times. We can't expect to ever see as many Top 8's as we would if Recruiter were actually obtainable, but if this deck continues to place then we'll know what the deal is.

As far as Imperial Painter being boring, I couldn't disagree more. Not only is blowing up permanents fun like Legend said, this deck can play out several different ways. It can combo, it can control, and it can even be traditionally aggressive. It is not one dimensional at all.

Jan 2008
    moon

Quote Originally Posted by DrewliusMaximus View Post
    I've heard others badmouth this deck too despite its results so far. And while time will tell whether this deck is really good or not, I think there are a few reasons people might doubt this deck:
    1. MWS shuffling sucks and gives people the wrong impression of many decks, like this one.
    2. Some people aren't used to having to mulligan as much you have to with a "Stompy" manabase.
    3. Because this deck is still new and kind of unique, many people don't know how to play it. I'm certainly still learning.

The fact of the matter is that the deck has shown results multiple times. We can't expect to ever see as many Top 8's as we would if Recruiter were actually obtainable, but if this deck continues to place then we'll know what the deal is.

As far as Imperial Painter being boring, I couldn't disagree more. Not only is blowing up permanents fun like Legend said, this deck can play out several different ways. It can combo, it can control, and it can even be traditionally aggressive. It is not one dimensional at all.
    Totally agree, this's the only deck where Jaya can show all her fun ability and I really enjoy to use her. If this plan is broken, combo plan could simply solve it in a split second.

For who has thought this build is boring, remember, there's no much options to choose a deck that can win with so multiple way like Imperial Painter. .

EDIT :
    Just see about Scarecrone, wohoo, amazing. .
    Painter recurrable is good, also it can be additional draw for every turn if you hit 5 mana. .
    n my baby says,"papa papa, u don't pay at upkeep. ."
    "Tidal forces of the blood moon wrench and buckle the land, drawing monoliths of stone and soil toward the flaming orb"

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by DrewliusMaximus View Post
    On the other hand, people also have no experience in playing against your deck. Being a Stax player myself, I'm hoping Chalice@1 will really screw you. Does it? Or do you have some card up your sleeve against it?

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Darn. Hope it doesn't get banned for being a tutor.

Thread Information