Thread: Dredging

Dredging

This situation came up in a tournament the other day and I've heard 2 different ways of interpreting it. My friend is playing ichorid and has 2 dredgers in his graveyard. He plays breakthrough with his only dredgers in the grave being a golgari-grave troll and a golgari thug. He dredges the troll and thug which places another dredger in the grave. His opponent says that he cannot dredge the third dredger because you have to have the 4 legal dredge targets in the graveyard when breakthrough resolves in order to dredge all 4 breakthrough draws.

Master of Observation

Jan 2008
    Kortrijk, Belgium

Re: Dredging

Quote Originally Posted by Aus-Rotten View Post
    This situation came up in a tournament the other day and I've heard 2 different ways of interpreting it. My friend is playing ichorid and has 2 dredgers in his graveyard. He plays breakthrough with his only dredgers in the grave being a golgari-grave troll and a golgari thug. He dredges the troll and thug which places another dredger in the grave. His opponent says that he cannot dredge the third dredger because you have to have the 4 legal dredge targets in the graveyard when breakthrough resolves in order to dredge all 4 breakthrough draws.
    His opponent is wrong. You can apply replacement effects as you see fit during the resolution of a spell.

And why didn't he call a judge if it was unclear?
    Ironbreakers Legacy Team
    Level 1 DCI Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic FAQ, November 1993
    Q: Is the Goblin King a goblin? Is the Zombie Master a Zombie? Is
    the Lord of Atlantis a Merfolk?
    A: No.
    Mtg is the pinnacle of consistency.

Some Random Guy Playing Random decks Getting Random Results
    Aug 2008

That is false
    Before you accually draw every card you get the option to replace this with dredge or not. Dredge would suck if you had to say which cards you dredge when the spell/ability resolves don't you agree?

So a valid situation is that ,after you replaced the first 2 draws with dreding a troll and thug, you replace the third draw by dredging a stinkweed imp for example.
    Level 1 DCI Judge

Thanks for the responses, we'll be sure to make everyone aware of them next week. And the reason we didn't call a judge is cause the opponent was a judge, but in hindsight a less biased one would probably have been better.

Some Random Guy Playing Random decks Getting Random Results
    Aug 2008

that your opponent is a judge doen't and shouldn't prevent you from calling a judge. Remember that judges are also human being so they can also make a mistake every now and then ;)
    Level 1 DCI Judge

Master of Observation

Jan 2008
    Kortrijk, Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by DeathScythe View Post
    that your opponent is a judge doen't and shouldn't prevent you from calling a judge. Remember that judges are also human being so they can also make a mistake every now and then ;)
    I disagree completely, I am infallible.

No, seriously, don't let the fact that your opponent's a judge influence your game in any way and always call a judge (that is judging the tournament and not participating ) in case of ANY doubt or uncertainty.
    Ironbreakers Legacy Team
    Level 1 DCI Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic FAQ, November 1993
    Q: Is the Goblin King a goblin? Is the Zombie Master a Zombie? Is
    the Lord of Atlantis a Merfolk?
    A: No.
    Mtg is the pinnacle of consistency.

Thread Information