Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    Yo, what decks do you think are good against UWr Mentor Control?
    That deck is kind of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. It's more about the sideboards and flex slots than anything else. Cloudpost decks and Eldrazi decks destroy it in the absence of Back to Basics. Graveyard combo decks destroy it if the pilot skimped on graveyard hate. Enchantress destroys it if there are no Narsets. Burn has a good matchup. Nic Fit can go over the top. Elves is probably favored if there aren't multiple copies of Terminus to sweep the board.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Play the opposition deck. I redesigned with the full intent of beating miracles.

You have to work for your wins, but there are plenty of tools and backbreaking cards for the deck.
    -rob

In this new age of ever changing metagames, driven by the latest bomb printed of the latest set, what is the general consensus (if there is one) of the decks that are less likely to be seriously impacted and that tend to continue afloat irrespective of the waves surrounding them? (this keeping in mind that the metagame to be considered is mtgo)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    In this new age of ever changing metagames, driven by the latest bomb printed of the latest set, what is the general consensus (if there is one) of the decks that are less likely to be seriously impacted and that tend to continue afloat irrespective of the waves surrounding them? (this keeping in mind that the metagame to be considered is mtgo)

Thanks.
    Well mtgo is weird because it's affected differently than paper magic. Mtgo rides hype trains more because the cards are cheaper, for instance I play against a form of Underworld Breach at least 1-2 a league while never playing against it in paper. That aside, the decks I'd assume won't be effected are: delver variants, storm, and reanimator. Other decks that will probably be solid are: stoneblade variants, UW control, Depths variants, and random combo stuff.
    "The enemy is getting too close! Quick! Inflate the toad!"

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

UR Delver (plus or minus X) is generally a good bet, where X is probably Black but maybe Green.

Aside that, pretty much up in the air, except maybe also Miracles as next best.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thanks guys!

I'm about to go to a local store here for the first time (I moved close to it at the start of the pandemic, then it shut down). They posted the last two tournament results, and the players brought the following:

Burn
    Infect
    Reanimator

UW Stoneblade
    UR Delver
    Echo Breacher

12 Post/GW Depths
    Nic Fit

I plan on running Dredge. However, my boys want to play (I introduced them to Magic during the pandemic). I think I can scrape together some subpar builds of the following (the store allows for 15 proxies):

Burn
    Goblins
    Elves
    Pox
    Eternal Life
    Storm
    Doomsday
    Oops, All Spells
    8-Walla Madness

I am not sure what else. What two decks do you think would be the best fit for the meta? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    I'm about to go to a local store here for the first time (I moved close to it at the start of the pandemic, then it shut down). They posted the last two tournament results, and the players brought the following:

Burn
    Infect
    Reanimator

UW Stoneblade
    UR Delver
    Echo Breacher

12 Post/GW Depths
    Nic Fit

I plan on running Dredge. However, my boys want to play (I introduced them to Magic during the pandemic). I think I can scrape together some subpar builds of the following (the store allows for 15 proxies):

Burn
    Goblins
    Elves
    Pox
    Eternal Life
    Storm
    Doomsday
    Oops, All Spells
    8-Walla Madness

I am not sure what else. What two decks do you think would be the best fit for the meta? Thanks!
    How old are your boys? Probably Elves, Gobbos, or Burn

Yeah, I agree. Elves and Gobbos are fun, powerful, and pretty forgiving of misplays.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

They are 10 and 12. I proxied some Legacy decks to play with me to introduce them to the game, so they are pretty familiar with a number of archetypes. Then they started wanting their own cards, and we have played more Commander. My oldest can play most decks competently, but neither are very familiar with sideboarding.

Elves and Goblins sound good. Do you think that Goblins is stronger against this meta than Madness? I am not sure how the matchups go, but I was thinking Madness would be stronger.

Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    They are 10 and 12. I proxied some Legacy decks to play with me to introduce them to the game, so they are pretty familiar with a number of archetypes. Then they started wanting their own cards, and we have played more Commander. My oldest can play most decks competently, but neither are very familiar with sideboarding.

Elves and Goblins sound good. Do you think that Goblins is stronger against this meta than Madness? I am not sure how the matchups go, but I was thinking Madness would be stronger.

Thanks for your replies.
    I think madness hasn't been good since before your boys were born.

Madness actually got way better with MH2:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...-madness#paper

That being said, I don't think its a generally great deck for children being that it is essentially a combo deck.. You have to aggressively mulligan, be able to read your lines well in advance, call a lot of triggers, and execute relatively complicated sequences properly.

With the ever changing of formats, what's a good investment right now for the future in MTGO?

Some kind of blue shell? UR Delver I assume... You cannot go wrong with that one can you?...

Thread Information