Page 159 of 207 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 4123

Thread: [Deck] Solidarity

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Re: [Deck] Solidarity

Quote Originally Posted by PretendObject View Post
    This is what I am planning on building after playing High Tide for a while I want to try this "win at instant speed on your opponents turn" thing out. The sideboard is just a best guess from looking at the other decks in this thread. Thoughts?

Instant (38)
    2x Brain Freeze
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Cunning Wish
    4x Force of Will
    4x High Tide
    4x Impulse
    3x Meditate
    1x Peek
    4x Reset
    4x Snap
    3x Thought Scour
    2x Turnabout

Land (18)
    12x Island
    3x Misty Rainforest
    3x Scalding Tarn

Creature (4)
    4x Snapcaster Mage

Sideboard (15)
    1x Chain of Vapor
    4x Disrupt
    1x Echoing Truth
    1x Meditate
    2x Mindbreak Trap
    1x Rebuild
    1x Stroke of Genius
    1x Tolarian Winds
    1x Turnabout
    1x Twincast
    1x Wipe Away
    The disrupts in the sideboard most likely can be anything else as they are always pretty lackluster for some reason or another.

Let us know how the 4 snap/4 snapcaster/3 thought scour works out as we have been arguing over it it is playable or not. I feel it really ups the turn 3 win percentage and gives a lot more consistency at the expense of disrupt ability(kill the snapcaster in response/grave hate that you have to play around)

Good luck in your testing!

@fuga- thank you for your feedback on the subject; I have always been taught that feedback is a gift. As my list is a reset high tide list, I am going to keep posting here. I really hope it doesn't bother you too much. Please feel free to ignore or disregard any posts that I make.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Because this deck is predicated on being instant-speed spells and lands. There is literally no other deck that can go off in an opponent's turn, in response to them winning in Legacy. Adding CoF stops that from happening, EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuga View Post
    But we don't care about your testing with COF, even if they are in sb. Please this is not constructive for this deck and is out of the tread. I already said what you can do if you like the springtide deck! :) good luck ;)
    "We are a proactive green littledude combo deck. What the hell are you doing with these black cards and white creatures? They're not the little green dudes the deck is predicated on."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    "We are a proactive green littledude combo deck. What the hell are you doing with these black cards and white creatures? They're not the little green dudes the deck is predicated on."
    I know right?

And why would reanimator play show and tell???

They should just play sneak and show like they should...

Okay enough with the funny….

Current list:

4 Snapcaster Mage

4 Snap
    4 Remand
    4 High Tide

3 Reset
    4 Turnabout

4 Brainstorm
    4 Thought scour
    4 Impulse
    3 Meditate

3 Cunning Wish
    1 Brain Freeze
    1 Blue Sun's Zenith

3 polluted delta
    3 flooded strand
    11 Islands

Sideboard:

4 cloud of faeries
    4 flusterstorm
    1 Meditate
    1 reset
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipe Away
    1 blue sun's zenith
    1 brain freeze

Side boarding is super fun as you can switch between several different variations of the same mono blue high tide deck. The cloud of faeries and snap casters work like a storm deck playing their mana on the board against discard….forcing the opponent to keep in removal. Against a deck like RUG you board out the snaps and bring in your win conditions with no dependance on creatures at all. If you want to speed up than you just bring in the cloud of faeries and if you want to slow down you bring in the fluster storms! It is really a deck that can change gears when it needs to.

I am currently not happy with the balance of brain freeze vs blue sun's zeniths or even the inclusion of cunning wish…. anyone have thoughts? I know some people really like multiple brain freezes.. is 2-3 main a good idea?

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

I like 2 Brain Freeze md, and to bring another from the sb sometimes. That makes a hand of Tide, Reset, Snapcaster, Snap and Brain Freeze easier to assemble, and that is a sure kill with only 2 lands into play. Thats awesome if you're trying to be fast.

Enviado de meu GT-S6313T usando Tapatalk
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Went 5-0-1 today with the following list:

11 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn

4 Brainstorm
    4 Impulse
    4 Meditate
    3 Peek
    1 Opt

4 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Snap
    4 High Tide
    4 Reset
    2 Turnabout

2 Cunning Wish
    1 Brain Freeze

4 Force of Will
    2 Flusterstorm

//Sideboard:
    1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    1 Brain Freeze
    1 Turnabout
    1 Remand
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Ghostly Flicker
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Repeal
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Ravenous Trap

The sideboard was just a quick mixture of cards coming to mind in a rush. The mainboard felt pretty good, but I'll probably make some adjustments with the 1-mana cantrips.

Matchups were:

R1: BYE
    R2: Ub Omnishow 2-0
    R3: Esper Stoneblade 1-1-1
    R4: DnT 2-1
    R5: UWr Delver 2-0
    R6: TES 2-1

I won three games due to Snapcaster Mage beatdown and went to time twice. The deck was mentally draining like a girlfriend, but it made fun and I'll continue to play it in small tournaments, while tinkering and tuning around.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Grats on the finish!

*sigh* I can't think of anything...

Nov 2006

Sorry for the long delay, but before I posted anything, I wanted to test my own list some more. FWIW, I have a sideboard skeleton but unless I were to play in local tournaments again I couldn't confirm anything. I do know that I probably overvalue Chain of Vapor and it would certainly be in the SB.

Congrats for the finish!

@benthetenor - Thank you as well! I have softened on using Peek as well and I know that a Scry 1 effect is not useful at all in most situations, but for the rest of the situations I really like having it around (or in other words, I still don't want to throw away some one-land games or games where I must find a certain card to win). Your analysis is also pretty spot-on and I need Opt's extra manipulation during the combo a lot less than I thought because Snapcaster Mage is just so good. Even though I'm currently running 2 Snap, it feels like overkill when I'm attempting to go off.

If I were to go to a local tournament whre it's less rounds and with a lot more random decks, I would look at going 2 Opt / 1 Peek.

@lavafrogg - I can't prove how useful Peek or Thought Scour or Visions of Beyond is over Opt - that's absolutely right.

However, when the Duresses start to fly, the Deathrite Shamans can spend some time removing your cards in your graveyard, or you are forced to take a mulligan and hope that you can still assemble what you need, I can at least have an idea of what I'm getting out of and what I'm losing from Opt. It's not a huge difference regardless of which of these cards you choose, but I really like the numbers.

When it comes to running Brain Freeze, one other advantage it has is that you don't need Meditate to win assuming you have a few other cards like Snapcaster Mage, Remand, or a bounce spell to help you out. It's not a surefire bet or anything but it is really useful in a pinch because I don't always have Meditate when I start and I shouldn't have to be held back when I have plenty of mana and an Impulse and Mage ready to go.

Did I mention Snapcaster Mage is good?
    WHAT? No, just no.

Long time lurker, first time poster here

I went to the End of year tournament in Hanau with the following list:

4 Reset
    4 High Tide
    4 Meditate
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Remand
    4 Impulse
    3 Opt
    1 Flash of Insight
    1 Twincast
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Turnabout
    2 Repeal
    2 Snapcaster mage
    1 Brainfreeze

12 Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta

Sideboard //
    4 Mystic Remora
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Turnabout
    1 Wipeaway
    1 Blue sun's zenith
    1 Brainfreeze
    1 Rebuild
    1 Vision skeins
    1 Tolarian Winds
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Spell pierce

I went 4-3 then dropped as we had to drive home and it was getting late

R1 : Sneak Show 1-2 ( misplayed, would have won otherwise)
    R2 : U/w Miracles 0-2
    R3 : Stax 2-0
    R4 : Bug Tempo 2-1
    R5 : Deathblade 0-2
    R6 : DnT 2-0
    R7 : Dark Maverick 2-1

This was the first tournament in which I tested the Remoras, and they were suprisingly good. I know that bringing an Enchantment into Solidarity sounds crazy, and that it seems bad at the first glance, but it is essentially another protection piece.
    Playing 2 Snapcaster was a last minute decision, as I never really tested them before. And quite frankly I was dissapointed. Every time I had one stuck in my hand while the enemy had a DRS, and during the combo it always felt like an overkill.
    I cut FoW about a year ago and never looked back. I understand the arguments mentioned in the last few pages, but FoW is just the worst card in this deck. The only resource we care about is our hand, and FoW takes that away. The only time I wished I had a Force was vs U/w miracles, but I doubt that I had won the games even with Fow.

The last game had an interesting scenario in it, which I thought might be worthwhile to share:

Im at 9 life, and have 5 Islands in play. My Opponent has Ethersworn Canonist, DRS, and a Gaddock Teeg and about 5-6 lands, all untapped, in play.
    It's the end of his turn, and he casts a Surgical Extration. I got some cantrips and a meditate in my Graveyard.
    My hand is : Reset/Cunning wish/Rebuild/Remand/Flusterstorm/Meditate/Twincast

How would you guys play that?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Loganinc View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster here

I went to the End of year tournament in Hanau with the following list:

4 Reset
    4 High Tide
    4 Meditate
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Remand
    4 Impulse
    3 Opt
    1 Flash of Insight
    1 Twincast
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Turnabout
    2 Repeal
    2 Snapcaster mage
    1 Brainfreeze

12 Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta

Sideboard //
    4 Mystic Remora
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Turnabout
    1 Wipeaway
    1 Blue sun's zenith
    1 Brainfreeze
    1 Rebuild
    1 Vision skeins
    1 Tolarian Winds
    1 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Spell pierce

I went 4-3 then dropped as we had to drive home and it was getting late

R1 : Sneak Show 1-2 ( misplayed, would have won otherwise)
    R2 : U/w Miracles 0-2
    R3 : Stax 2-0
    R4 : Bug Tempo 2-1
    R5 : Deathblade 0-2
    R6 : DnT 2-0
    R7 : Dark Maverick 2-1

This was the first tournament in which I tested the Remoras, and they were suprisingly good. I know that bringing an Enchantment into Solidarity sounds crazy, and that it seems bad at the first glance, but it is essentially another protection piece.
    Playing 2 Snapcaster was a last minute decision, as I never really tested them before. And quite frankly I was dissapointed. Every time I had one stuck in my hand while the enemy had a DRS, and during the combo it always felt like an overkill.
    I cut FoW about a year ago and never looked back. I understand the arguments mentioned in the last few pages, but FoW is just the worst card in this deck. The only resource we care about is our hand, and FoW takes that away. The only time I wished I had a Force was vs U/w miracles, but I doubt that I had won the games even with Fow.

The last game had an interesting scenario in it, which I thought might be worthwhile to share:

Im at 9 life, and have 5 Islands in play. My Opponent has Ethersworn Canonist, DRS, and a Gaddock Teeg and about 5-6 lands, all untapped, in play.
    It's the end of his turn, and he casts a Surgical Extration. I got some cantrips and a meditate in my Graveyard.
    My hand is : Reset/Cunning wish/Rebuild/Remand/Flusterstorm/Meditate/Twincast

How would you guys play that?
    What did you bring the remoras in against?

I agree with the cutting of force if will but can you explain some if your other choices?

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

In my experience Snapcaster Mage is insane. It's part of your engine, lets you go off with few cards, recycle, block and even get a non-combo clock online. I see you run Remands, but Snapcaster makes the deck more flexible while also providing the speed.

Sure it sucks to pitch a card into FoW, but in my opinion it's still worth it, if you can directly answer opposing threats, hate and counters. Flusterstorm is good and I play 3 to 4 in my 75 myself, but it has disadvantages compared to FoW: it gets weaker with every turn, costs mana, cannot answer permanents.

@TheRock
    Chain of Vapor would be in the list, if I had access to it at the time.

Discussions about FoW aside, does this look like a decent list to learn to play the deck with?

4 High Tide
    4 Reset
    3 Turnabout
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Meditate
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Snap
    2 Brain Freeze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Impulse
    2 Peek
    2 Opt
    3 Remand
    3 Force of Will

6 Fetch
    12 Island

SB:
    1 Meditate
    1 Stroke of Genius
    1 Rebuild
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Turnabout
    1 Tolarian Winds
    1 Force of Will
    1 Brain Freeze
    1 Disrupt/Flusterstorm/Swan Song
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Twincast

I've been lurking on the Source for a while, and came across this deck. It reminds me a lot of when my brother and I used to play, he had a Peasant High Tide deck that won with Prosperity/ Feldon's Cane and Cloud of Faeries/Snap/Frantic Search. After he quit playing I picked it up and was a so-so pilot, so now I want to try and actually get good with Solidarity, because it does so many of the things I came to love about Magic when my brother taught me to play back in the late 90's into the early 00's. The list above is what I came up with from lurking in this thread for a while and from slowly working through the old archived thread (which I hope to finish reading completely by the time i get the cards together). I tried to keep it fairly basic until I know the deck well enough to know what kinds of tweaks I'd like to make and what 1-ofs I might want (if any) to fit my play style better. One thing I'm on the fence about is cutting to one Brain freeze for a third Snap. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Nov 2006

Then a welcome to The Source is in order!

I'll give the same advice I would give to any player who wants to play a deck that brings back good memories. It would be a good idea to play with an older version of the deck first to gain an appreciation of how things have changed and improved. Not only will it be much more fun to take the trip in time (especially in your case), but you'll gain another view of this deck (and this deck is no walk in the park to understand). Try to take a look at the lists being used when Remand came out or the tournament-winning lists before 2010 and that should help out.

The list you posted is a fantastic starting point for the current cardbase. The only clear difference I would make is that I wouldn't run Tolarian Winds.
    WHAT? No, just no.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Then a welcome to The Source is in order!

I'll give the same advice I would give to any player who wants to play a deck that brings back good memories. It would be a good idea to play with an older version of the deck first to gain an appreciation of how things have changed and improved. Not only will it be much more fun to take the trip in time (especially in your case), but you'll gain another view of this deck (and this deck is no walk in the park to understand). Try to take a look at the lists being used when Remand came out or the tournament-winning lists before 2010 and that should help out.

The list you posted is a fantastic starting point for the current cardbase. The only clear difference I would make is that I wouldn't run Tolarian Winds.
    are you the person that told someone to play pre- the RFG rules change? I think that is a terrible idea. I would pick up the 4 of list that benthetenor posted a few pages ago and play a few games. There is no reason to practice a older version of the deck to gain another view of the deck when anything he learns will be outdated.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

There's a short article about Solidarity at SCG by Carsten Kötter: http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ccentrics.html

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

He is right about Solidarity being well positioned right now.. A (pretty much) lands deck won the last SCG. All you would have to do is beat ravens crime to win.

Nov 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsrocket_27 View Post
    Discussions about FoW aside, does this look like a decent list to learn to play the deck with ?
    I will look at your list and comment as I go through it; but as mentioned your actually onto a great start.

4 High Tide
    4 Reset
    3 Turnabout -- I woulod go with only 2 Mainboard as it can be a bit steep, keep one more in the SB though for sure.
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Meditate
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Snap
    2 Brain Freeze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Impulse
    2 Peek -- Gitaxian Probe is another card to consider for this slot, and as you can cast it for free (Phyrexian Mana) it offers you another option.
    2 Opt
    3 Remand
    3 Force of Will -- I like 4 FoW as they do work to pitch to themselves and when you need them, you need them all.

6 Fetch -- I go with a 2-2-2 mixture so that weirdness such as a Surgical Extraction doesn't remove to many once one is in my GY; conversly though, if you want to get rid of dead cards and add to your storm count there is no issue with using a Surgical Extraction on your own GY to remove dead copies from your Library and produce a library shuffle as well as thinning to offer more quality cards while in combo.
    12 Island

SB:
    1 Meditate
    1 Stroke of Genius -- Blue Sun's Zenith offers you the option to keep re-shuffling the card back into your deck, sounds weird but there are times to draw from your library and then later (when your mana count is insane) just re-use the Zenith to force your opponent into an overdraw condition for the win, this is a good way to get past Emrakul or other cards that protect against being milled out.
    1 Rebuild
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth -- Consider Wipe Away for this slot, The Split Second has relavance at times although I actually like Echoing Truth for the 2 or 3 to 1 aspect it often offers to keep you in the game long enough to get to your Win-Con, it's also a bomb vs Empty the Warren decks, etc.
    1 Turnabout
    1 Tolarian Winds -- I have never use this; but I have also never wanted to discard my hand. I have Spell Pierce
    1 Force of Will -- Should be maindeck IMHO
    1 Brain Freeze
    1 Disrupt/Flusterstorm/Swan Song -- I use 2x Dispel in this slot as it hammers instants; but Flusterstorm might actually be the better fit as it hit's more (thanks for mentioning that card)
    3 Surgical Extraction -- I have found that 2 are enough.
    2 Twincast -- I use more Snap in this slot as it can also double as a means to bounce their creatures should you need to and the use on Snapcaster is seriously that good. Turn 3 after your turn and into their Upkeep you can actually go off if they own a creature or you have a snapcaster in hand -- so long as you also have a Snap in hand. Vs Aggressive decks addding the Snaps can make game 2-3 more likely to have you hit the Turn 3 Win-Con.

Anyway, you have a great start but I thought I would offer those views on the deck.
    Cheers

And if you enjoy other Magic The Gathering sites try out www.mtgfanatic.com

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Is there any colour worth splashin at the moment?
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

@Supreme
    Gitaxian Probe is bad, because it's a sorcery and therefor dead in most combo turns.

Stroke of Genius can be cast and flashed back with Snapcaster, which is noteworthy and should be considered. Personally I play BSZ because usually when I cast the card to draw myself I am able to easily draw into it again, but I'm not vulnerable to a random Extraction and Rest in Piece. I know those aren't particular strong reasons to play BSZ, because decks with access to RiP don't need to be finished with BSZ and an extraction is most likely to happen earlier, but it's nice to have access to another potent draw spell despite the GY-hate. And to be honest, I just didn't bother grabbing Stroke.

Nov 2011
    Canada

Gitaxian Probe was only offered for the Free casting potential but I agree that as a Socery it is not optimal. It can work in set up turns; but is horrid in the combo stage as you mentioned and I also prefer all Instant speed cards.

OI would not obther splashing any other colour and Surgical Extraction is kinda Black if you look closely so if you wanted I guess you could use some Underground Sea in with your island and open yourself up to more land hate (I would not take this choice -- ever).

Cheers
    Cheers

And if you enjoy other Magic The Gathering sites try out www.mtgfanatic.com

Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    are you the person that told someone to play pre- the RFG rules change? I think that is a terrible idea. I would pick up the 4 of list that benthetenor posted a few pages ago and play a few games. There is no reason to practice a older version of the deck to gain another view of the deck when anything he learns will be outdated.

A Solidarity player that can't win without understanding the nuances of the deck isn't going to get very far. I don't think that anyone should start by playing Snapcaster/Snap in their deck to start, and there is a LOT to learn about this deck. The RFG changes aren't that big of a deal, and Flash of Insight was never a key card anyway and could easily be replaced by cards like Twincast or Peer Through Depths or Think Twice or extra 1-drops or more metagame specific cards. I'm suggesting that they use a different list benthetenor posted.

Snapcaster Mage is a good card, but it makes goldfishing so much easier and flashy. The mechanics are more important - Snapcaster can be appreciated later.
    WHAT? No, just no.

Thread Information