Page 3 of 207 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Solidarity

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Re: [Deck] Solidarity

Quote Originally Posted by Funky-kun View Post
    EDIT: A question about the people with tournament experience with the deck; do you write down/memorize the cards put at the bottom of the library every time you use such an effect?
    If it's likely my deck will get shuffled no. Example: It's turn 2 and I play Impulse to find a third land, I take a fetchland, so I don't write the cards.
    Anyway, when I impulse I try to remember only the important cards I'm putting on the bottom of the deck (High Tide, Reset, Cunning Wish, Flash of insight, Meditate). When I'm doing a huge Flash of Insight then I'm memorizing/writing the cards, even if it's only for half of the deck or 10-15 cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
    EDIT: @Van:You probably meant the 6th rather than 12th of December?
    Nah, I'm just ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne
    If it's likely my deck will get shuffled no. Example: It's turn 2 and I play Impulse to find a third land, I take a fetchland, so I don't write the cards.
    Anyway, when I impulse I try to remember only the important cards I'm putting on the bottom of the deck (High Tide, Reset, Cunning Wish, Flash of insight, Meditate). When I'm doing a huge Flash of Insight then I'm memorizing/writing the cards, even if it's only for half of the deck or 10-15 cards.
    That sums it up pretty well.

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    When I'm doing a huge Flash of Insight then I'm memorizing/writing the cards, even if it's only for half of the deck or 10-15 cards.
    I would like to know if this writing down - which might be essential mid-combo when you want to freeze yourself after Flash of Insight to find the right cards in the correct order - might cause trouble.

I found this in the DCI penalty guide:

133. Tournament Error — Slow Play
    Definition
    Players who take longer than is reasonably required to complete game actions are engaging in Slow Play. If a judge believes a player is intentionally playing slowly to take advantage of a time limit, the infraction is Cheating — Stalling.

Examples (...)
    C. A player in a Magic tournament spends time writing down the contents of an opponent's deck when resolving Haunting Echoes.

Penalty
    All Levels
    Warning
    Could this be applied to a Solidarity player writing down the cards of his own deck, too?
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin View Post
    Could this be applied to a Solidarity player writing down the cards of his own deck, too?
    Yah, it absolutely could be. But then again, are you really worried about getting a warning? Also, is your opponent really gonna be that big of a jerk to call a judge because you want to remember how your stacking your deck?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    Yah, it absolutely could be. But then again, are you really worried about getting a warning? Also, is your opponent really gonna be that big of a jerk to call a judge because you want to remember how your stacking your deck?
    If my opponent takes a lot of time for doing so I would definitly call a judge. Especially since Solidarity matches in my area often tend to go to time.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

I usually write them in a fast way, with abbreviations and such. In my notes, 15 cards are written as something like: med, tide, res, wish, foi, bf, c, cc, 7-
    Where "c" are 1cc cantrips, cc is impulse, and "-" are lands. This won't take much time usually. Also, if you memorize some of the cards when adjusting your deck even less time is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Dec 2008
    Fulton, MS

Hey Everybody, as one can tell I'm new to the forums. I have however played Solidarity for a few years, anyway, on to my topic.

I have been contemplating moving the 4th Meditate from the board to the main. I would replace it with a Three Wishes in the board, not as strong obviously but you got 4 Meditates main.

My reasoning behind this change is that Meditate is by far my most wished for target, and the one draw spell I really enjoy seeing before/while going off. Basically, I dislike wishing for draw spells. My problem is what card to cut for the additional Meditate. For reference, I run the version with 2 Cryptic Commands.

I see it as futile to cut a cantrip/draw spell, since I am trying to add another. The countermagic is necessary. So I cut a Brainfreeze, leaving one main and one in the board. Thanks for the help.

So now your most wished for card will be "three wishes" instead of meditate and you said yourself it was not as strong.

It is in the board because when going off, you have a fair amount of mana and 3 cunning wishes that will pretty much count as meditates - upping it to 6 meditates in your main. I know it's not exactly true, but you get the point. Mana is rarely that tight that you can't wish for a meditate when you are going off and cast the thing.

So when you are no longer wishing for meditate, you are going to be wishing for something else the most, and then you can move that to the main and put an inferior card in its place in the sideboard.

Where does it end?

Slobad23

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I just playtested phanels list a bit on MWS and fought through 2 CB in play with an active top. I managed to bounce the top with cryptic and then freeze it away. Ended a mystic enforcer on top. So I could finally start casting my high tides and proceed for the win.

Also I fought through hymn hymn seize verdict. The deck really is very impressive.

But I do need to learn more about sb tactics so ill be reading the primer once more ;)

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    I have been contemplating moving the 4th Meditate from the board to the main. I would replace it with a Three Wishes in the board, not as strong obviously but you got 4 Meditates main.

My reasoning behind this change is that Meditate is by far my most wished for target, and the one draw spell I really enjoy seeing before/while going off.
    Quote Originally Posted by slobad23 View Post
    So now your most wished for card will be "three wishes" instead of meditate and you said yourself it was not as strong.

It is in the board because when going off, you have a fair amount of mana and 3 cunning wishes that will pretty much count as meditates - upping it to 6 meditates in your main. I know it's not exactly true, but you get the point. Mana is rarely that tight that you can't wish for a meditate when you are going off and cast the thing.

So when you are no longer wishing for meditate, you are going to be wishing for something else the most, and then you can move that to the main and put an inferior card in its place in the sideboard.

Where does it end?
    The obvious solution is to play 3 Meditate, 1 Three Wishes MD + 1 Meditate SB.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    The obvious solution is to play 3 Meditate, 1 Three Wishes MD + 1 Meditate SB.
    True, but that kinda beats the purpose. Three Wishes sucks anyway, and I don't think it's worth it, except when you're in a very heavy-discard meta.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    True, but that kinda beats the purpose. Three Wishes sucks anyway, and I don't think it's worth it, except when you're in a very heavy-discard meta.
    Wait, it sucks especially in a discard-heavy meta because it can't be used to refill your hand. That aside you are right.

If you really want to improve your chance at finding Meditates, I'd suggest Peer Through Depths main. Myself, I never liked that card and don't think it's necessary, but if you feel the need for more draw, that is what I would suggest. But please don't cut the Meditate from your sideboard so it can stay the card that gets wished the most.

Utterly mindtwisted
    Jun 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Van Phanel View Post
    But please don't cut the Meditate from your sideboard so it can stay the card that gets wished the most.
    Quote for truth, my loss against Aggro Loam at the DLC is the best evidence for it. You really need one Meditate in the SB to be able to wish it at any time.

@ VanPhanel: Das hast Du wirklich gut gemacht, Simon. Daumen hoch.

Have you seen the "unlocking legacy" article this week??
    (link: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...oth_Decks.html)

I think the writer underrates this deck, but at least they talk about our deck!!

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

*casts vote for Van Phanel writing a tournament report on SCG*
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

True that. [Edit: speaking of Zinch's post]

I believe Solidarity to be superior to any other combo-deck when it comes to fighting through hate. Unfortunately that means it suffers in speed which makes TES or ANT better in metas with less disruption. I'm not quite sure where I'd rate Permanent Waves in this pattern but likely between Solidarity and TES/ANT/Belcher both in speed and in the ability to win through disruption.

This is a quite interesting topic by the way which I think should be adressed on its own (but not within this thread). I'll open a thread in Format Discussion.

Edit: @Julian: There'd have to be a larger tournament for that first.

Dec 2008
    Fulton, MS

Thanks everybody for helping me. Whoever said just put a Three Wishes main made me realize I would never want to draw that card, so it shouldn't be in my sideboard either. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks, and this is the deck I'm going to play at Worlds.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

http://www.deckcheck.net//deck.php?id=21948

Although this is a Spring Tide list, I'd really love to play Solidarity at that shop...you know why? :-)
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Nov 2006
    Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

Although this is a Spring Tide list, I'd really love to play Solidarity at that shop...you know why? :-)
    You're allowed to play Frantic Search in your Legacy events?
    More cheese = more holes ; More holes = less cheese ; More cheese = less cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Bohny feat. Ovid
    Two-Headed Giant is similar to sex - if your partner is bad you need a good hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

Wow. Do they even understand what the Legacy banned list is and what it's for?

Thread Information