Thread: [Report] T.E.E.S. takes 5th at Beta Dual Tournament

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

[Report] T.E.E.S. takes 5th at Beta Dual Tournament

This deck was made by Colin (Di) of team epic.

The Epic Elf Survival:

4 survival of the fittest

4 llanowar elves
    4 fyndhorn elves
    4 priest of titania
    4 sylvan messengers
    4 imperious perfect
    3 wrens run vanquisher
    1 thornweld archers
    2 mirror entity
    1 masticore
    1 Anger
    1 squee, goblin nabob
    1 wood elves
    3 elvish champion
    1 viridian zealot
    3 wire wood symbiote
    2 quiron rangers

4 wooded foothills
    4 windswept heaths
    4 taiga
    2 savannah
    3 forest

s.b.
    4 krosan grip
    1 caller of the claw
    2 gaddock teeg
    3 orim's chant
    1 thorn of amethyst
    3 xantid swarm (These should be thorns)
    1 magus of the moon

Basic plan for the deck is to either get the combo with Priest + Symbiote + Mirror entity for infinite mana/dmg or the other 80% of the time you dont get/resolve survival massive beats with 7 champions.

The Matchups:

Round 1:Brian playing Extended Affinity + L petals

G1: He drops an early chalice @ 1 which I manage to have Zealot in hand for. He gets way to many lands and estabishes a ravager but I swing for 60 turn 5 not realizing after I could have gone infinite

SB:+4 Krosan Grip -3 Elvish Champion, -1 Symbiote

G2: He gets the opposite and gets mana screwed, I turn 3 krosan grip one of his two lands and then try to go off without survival I fizzle with 14 floating so I deal 7 dmg to his remaining ornithopter with masticore and swing ftw next turn.

1-0

Round 2:Dan UG(b?) thresh
    G1: I swarm him early with elves and finish by resolving a elvish champion.
    SB: +3 Xantid Swarm +1 Thorn -1 Wood elves, -1 Symbiote, -1 Masticore, -1 Imperious Perfect

G2: This game by far I made so many play mistakes and shouldn't have won. I got down to 2 life. One notable play error was not swinging with swarm and playing wren's run vanquisher into spell snare. The list could continue I believe I resolved a Sylvan Messenger and was able to rally a comeback after killing 2 of 3 threshed gooses.

2-0

Round 3: Jesse (Mad Zur) playing UGB(w?) thresh
    Game 1: I get a great start, he gets counterbalance out and I get him to 1 life before he stablilizes. I then had to wait a few turns to get the extra creature to swing in which seemed to be the scenario for a bunch of games that day.

SB:+1 Magus of the moon, +4 K grip, -1 Symbiote, - 1 Imperious Perfect, -1 Wrens-Run vanquisher, -1 Wood Elves -1 Masticore?

G2: He gets counterbalance out turn 2 and I somehow resolve survival turn 2 as well which was a great start. He flips a fow later with 3 cards in hand and I get him to fow a messenger or something. End of his turn i survival for Magus. My turn I get the fetchland off of counterbalance and get magus to resolve which locks all his duals as mountains. Which ironically I tried to swing with forestwalkers, which didnt work out well. But he was locked out so I swung for lethal the following turn.

3-0

Round 4: Jesse (Unreg) Playing T.E.S? (Ad nauseum angels grace)

G1:
    As always I go llanowar elf pass and he wins turn 2 in my face.

SB: +3 Chant, +1 Thorn, +2 Teeg, -3 Wren-run vanquisher, -1 Archer, -1 Wood elves, -1 Elvish Champion

G2:
    I get the best possible starting hand but decide to mull since I could win turn 3 but thats a lot of time for him and no sb piece for me. I mull to 5 and settle on a decent hand with survival. He mulls to 6 with I belive a no land hand and I put enough pressure for him to have to go off like turn 5 and he puts his only mb tendrils under chrome mox which causes him to fizzle .

G3:
    I rip the absolute nuts, 2 Teeg and 1 chant plus 3 land and something. He goes turn 1 duress taking chant and my first draw is another chant! I go turn 2 Teeg and continue to beat face with a white source always open.

4-0

Round 5: Matt playing affinity
    I thought this would be a draw but I got paired down and play it out.

Game one:
    I get early survival and go off turn 4.

SB: +4 K grip -3 Elvish Champion, -1 Symbiote

G2: I play 3 elves turn 2 and he drops turn 3 e plague from which I dont recover.

G3: Turn 1 elf, turn two I k grip his only black mana source and he only draws darksteel citadel and I just win with massive elf beats.

5-0

Round 6: ID
    5-0-1

Top 8:
    Round 1:Alix (Obfuscate Freely) UGbw Landstill
    G1: This plays just like game 1 against his brother. I got Alix to 1 life and eventually get in there with elvish champion.

SB: +4 K grip, -1 Wood Elves, -1 Symbiote, -1 Wrens run, -1 Masticore.

G2: He gets counterbalance, top, eplague and deed out. Deeds for 2 drops another counterbalance and it spirals down hill from here.

G3: See G2 but add in 2nd E plague and k grip gets countered by CB @3 .

This deck has run great even tho I make infinite play errors when I play it including the 1-2 drop and 4-0 side event win at TMLO the current tournament record for this deck is 10-3-1 which is too bad for its first two events.
    (Also its 4-0 against affinity)

A funny side note from TMLO I beat dreadstill in the finals of the side event because he droped standstill, swung with dreadnought and I blocked with wrens-run vanquisher and killed dreadnought

Props:
    Eli for another great event.
    Krosan Grip for hitting lands.
    Colin for giving me this unposted list.
    The Virginia guys for driving 5-6 hours to come.

Slops:
    Me, for going the wrong way adding an hour to my drive and causing round 1 pairings to change twice.
    Rsaunder for playing landstill and going to time multiple times.
    Everyone who didnt come

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Re: [Report] T.E.E.S. takes 5th at Beta Dual Tournament

Sorry I couldn't make it.
    Grats on the finish.
    With fucking elves.
    What's wrong with this picture?
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Bryant Cook

Congrats, glad to see an EPIC deck did well.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost View Post
    What's wrong with this picture?
    Not exactly sure but for some reason I have the image of elves fucking in my head. Who should I blame for this?

And landstill was a bad idea, I didn't have time to get food till I got thrashed by Team America final round.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by rsaunder View Post
    Not exactly sure but for some reason I have the image of elves fucking in my head. Who should I blame for this?

And landstill was a bad idea, I didn't have time to get food till I got thrashed by Team America final round.
    Me.

This finish gives me a lot more confidence in the deck. It's seriously a beast. I'll be talking about it in the Survival thread sometime soon.

Nailed Shut
    Oct 2008
    Auburn, NY

I watched a few of your matches and the deck looked like a lot of fun to play. Congrats on your 5th place finish.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Me.
    Damn you Di for arousing me so.

And I think the deck's got an asston of potential too. Good job piloting it Quack, and good job on the design bit Di.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

Living in an area where no one plays Legacy
    Nov 2003

T.E.E.S?

The Epic Elf Shiter?
    Major Deck Projects
    Deck 2012: Angel Walk
    Deck 2009: Tombstone
    Deck 2007: Exploration Crucible:
    Deck 2005:Bob the Belcher:

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Bob View Post
    T.E.E.S?

The Epic Elf Shiter?

I don't know about the name, but I don't see how this deck is better than the straight up elves combo deck you can play. This deck goes provide more potential answers b/c of survival, but is it really better?
    ~Shriek~

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by nickrit2000 View Post
    I don't know about the name, but I don't see how this deck is better than the straight up elves combo deck you can play. This deck goes provide more potential answers b/c of survival, but is it really better?
    Mostly the fact, that against any permission-decks, Survival gives you an "I win"-button. Also, increases consistency. It may be a bit slower, but if you aren't playing Belcher, speed shouldn't be your primary concern anyways. Beating the aggro/control decks is where it's at and Survival really helps in that regard.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

In short, yes it is. It's got far more game against cards like Chalice of the Void, etc. because it is, by nature, more of a Survival deck than a combo deck. Consider it an aggro deck that can combo, rather than the combo deck that has an aggro-back up plan, as the combo version would be.

Bryant Cook

I don't know about the name.
    Same. Colin, name this pile already.

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    In short, yes it is. It's got far more game against cards like Chalice of the Void, etc. because it is, by nature, more of a Survival deck than a combo deck. Consider it an aggro deck that can combo, rather than the combo deck that has an aggro-back up plan, as the combo version would be.
    I'd tend to agree with this. When I played against TheBirdMan in the side event of TMLO, I didn't even know he was playing Survival (or any sort of combo) until the third game, when he landed a Survival and combo'd off in my face a turn before I was going to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Same. Colin, name this pile already.
    I like TES, but that was already taken, so TEES works for me. Otherwise, "Storm combo sucks, I prefer Elf Combo Survival" as a deckname works just fine.

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    "Storm combo sucks, I prefer Elf Combo Survival"
    I love it.

Thread Information