Thread: Twincast

Twincast

Simple question.

When exactly do you use Twincast?

-Immediately as I play a spell
    -After the spell has already Resolved

what happens if a play a spell and it is countered? could I then twin cast the spell that I played that was countered or is it too late?

Thanks for any help!

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Re: Twincast

You use it while the spell you want to copy is on the stack. Once the spell has already resolved or has been countered, it's too late.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

If you play a spell, and you pass priority (which you shouldn't do if you're planning on playing Twincast) and your opponent counterspells, you can, in response, play Twincast. The original spell will be countered, but the copy won't (except if Twincast is also countered).

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Soto View Post
    If you play a spell, and you pass priority (which you shouldn't do if you're planning on playing Twincast) and your opponent counterspells, you can, in response, play Twincast. The original spell will be countered, but the copy won't (except if Twincast is also countered).
    If you play the Twincast before passing priority however, your opponent can counter the original spell and the Twincast will fizzle.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

It depends what you want to achieve. Let's assume you're playing Solidarity, for example, and you have Reset and Twincast.

a) If you want to achieve the maximum effect, you play Reset and then Twincast without passing priority ("all-in").

b) If you are desperate and need at least one Reset resolve to continue the combo, you should play Reset and pass priority. If your opponent counters, then you can copy the original. If he doesn't, you have achieved what you wanted and keep the Twincast for later.

Note that you can go for a) when facing counters if you have counters available yourself, but it is the riskier path, of course.
    Last edited by Taurelin; 12-21-2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Confused :-)
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    If you play the Twincast before passing priority however, your opponent can counter the original spell and the Twincast will fizzle.
    Why is this?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Soto View Post
    Why is this?
    Because twincast will no longer have a legal target.

Why is this?
    Stack looks like this:

Counterspell
    Twincast
    Original Spell

Counterspell resolves, remoevs the original spell of the stack. Twincast tries to resolve but the target is gone and fizzles.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Because twincast will no longer have a legal target.
    I think you are wrong guys. To my knowledge twincast (or at least fork) becomes a copy of target sorcery or instant and doesnt need the first spell to resolve to become a copy of it...

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by Frid View Post
    I think you are wrong guys. To my knowledge twincast (or at least fork) becomes a copy of target sorcery or instant and doesnt need the first spell to resolve to become a copy of it...
    The second part is right. The original spell doesn't necessarily have to resolve. But that's not the point. The original spell needs to be a legal target on the stack when Twincast resolves.

Your first assumption is incorrect.

Oracle Text:
    Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
    Explanation from the comprehensive rules:
    503.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell or ability isn’t “played.”
    Nowhere does it say that Twincast becomes the copy itself or anything like that. If you refer to the old wording of Fork, this one has also become errated.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

ok noob question i believe I know this one but does twincast copy the whole cost of the card

IE: X spells where you put mana into X such as fireball

Last night during a game I cast a fireball for 10 and preceded to twin cast it for the win.

My opponent told me I can not do that.

I tried to explain to them that it copies the current state of the spell as it sits on the stack. But I want confirmation so i can show them
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Trivial to find in the rules if you search for something like "value of X":

503.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics (name, mana cost, color, card type, supertype, subtype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, loyalty) and, for an object on the stack, choices made when playing it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether a kicker cost was paid, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values that are printed on the object, as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . comes into play" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information