Page 84 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1742

Thread: [Deck] Affinity

Re: [Deck] Affinity

Aggressive, refills your hand. Pretty good against combo decks, but not very good friends with Deathrite. Worth testing?

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Navsi View Post
    Worth testing?
    If you can find an existing card to replace with the new card, then the new card is worth testing. Or, my sig.

My two cents: it's cheap in mana, but expensive in deck slots. I don't think you can protect it well enough to make good use of its rules text, and if you can't do that, it's hard to justify inclusion. That said, I don't play Legacy Affinity so maybe it's easier to keep alive than I think.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

It might be better than memnite because of the haste?
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

Quote Originally Posted by Navsi View Post
    I would think it's worth testing with for sure. Not sure what to take out though.

Gearseeker Serpent is another new spoiled card.
    Gearseeker Serpent 5UU
    "Gearseeker Serpent costs one less man to cast for each artifact you control
    5U: Gearseeker Serpent can't be blocked this turn"

It's still not a brilliant choice compared to other options, but we could possibly be dropping this for UU on Turn 2.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Been thinking of the RW Legendary chick that has built in Cranial Plating. Seems fun, but legendary kind of sucks. May brew up a list. I guess as long as miracles is a thing then this deck isn't great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Pia's Revolution looks like it might fit into an affinity shell. Sac zero drop artifacts to Arcbound ravager and get them back or they take a bolt to the face. Might even be a combo somewhere with disciple of the vault, but thats probably clunky.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Anybody tested with Walking Ballista already?

Seems pretty good with Arcbound Ravager.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

New to affinity but walking ballista made me want to find a shell that it works in. I'm torn between MUD or affinity and right now I'm leaning towards MUD because it can grow easier and adds more to that deck than it does to affinity. I've still been impressed with ballista's synergies in affinity though. I think this card has legs in older formats besides vintage.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Who wants to help me brew an old style Vial deck list from. Found a turn 2 kill albeit a nut draw

Turn 1

Ancient tomb, ornithopter, spring leaf drum, mox opal, arcbound ravager, disciple of the Vault.

Turn 2, play artifact land, tap Opal, cast walking ballista (2 counters)

Attack with ravager & disciple and sacrifice

Mox, ornithopter, drum, artifact land, springleaf drum (ravager now a 6/6)

Deal 7 combat damage, and opponent lost 5 life from disciple.

Sacrifice ravager and move 6 counters to ballista, 1 life for disciple.

8 counters on ballista... All to face... Opponent takes 8 and 1 from disciple.

22 damage on turn 2.

Thoughts?

I know it would have to be played in a non chalice build, which is undesirable... But you could run Aether Vial. The deck was very powerful back in the day, even after skullclamp was banned.

-rob
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Been working with this guy's list for a little while as the base. It looks like he's done well several times and there must be something about this or at least when piloted correctly:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14425&d=286318&f=LE

So I've worked with this list and am proposing some small changes:

//creatures (20)
    4 arcbound ravager
    4 ornithopter
    4 phyrexian revoker
    3 vault skirge
    3 walking ballista
    2 etched champion

//non-creature artifact (19)
    4 cranial plating
    4 mox opal
    4 welding jar
    4 chalice of the void
    3 springleaf drum

//spells (4)
    4 thoughtcast

//planeswalkers (2)
    2 tezzeret, agent of bolas

//land (15)
    4 vault of whispers
    4 seat of the synod
    3 ancient den
    4 ancient tomb

//sideboard (15)
    4 disciple of the vault
    4 thorn of amethyst
    3 winter orb
    3 ensnaring bridge
    1 ethersworn canonist

been goldfishing with the deck a bit and the welding jar, while not obvious seems rather important. being able to protect from wasteland and protecting a chalice will shut many players out of a game, even if they have the abrupt decay. still working with walking ballista to see if it's strong enough without cards that influence counters other than arcbound ravager. could also consider running the 4th vault skirge over the 3rd ballista. i'll probably go back and forth over that, but i like having some semi-removal cards in the deck.

i still will need to test more with his sb approach, i would love to have disciple in the maindeck, but it seems that chalice is more important. will need to figure out what matchups chalice will not be worth it.

anyone else want to test this as well? (i've already got it sleeved up, but would be open to playing on cockatrice/xmage)
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Paris weekly at troll jeu

3 walking ballista
    4 arcbound ravager
    3 vault skirge
    4 ornithopter
    4 phyrexian revoker
    2 etched champion

4 cranial plating
    4 thoughtcast
    4 welding jar
    3 springleaf drum
    4 chalice of the void

4 mox opal
    3 ancient den
    4 vault of whispers
    4 seat of the synod
    4 ancient tomb

Sb
    4 disciple of the Vault
    3 ensnaring bridge
    4 thorn of amethyst
    3 winter orb
    1 ethersworn canonist

R1 shardless vs Romain (lose dice roll)
    Game 1 he mulliganned and kept a 6 hand 1 land (non fetch) + deathrite. He never found another land and died after 4 turns.
    Game 2 he had some removal spells and eventually killed me with 3 deathrite shaman. I had ensnaring bridge but never got a revoker for his deathrite. I was hit with a hymn this game.
    Game 3 I had a fast draw and used ballista + cranial to attack for a lot (and then ping his liliana. I sacrificed ravager and moved some counters to ballista bc of the Lili.) then it went back and forth. I had a bunch of outs, and draw a tezz. Make the ballista a 5/5 and use the ping ability.* Pretty sure this is how that ended. (not 100%) and was also hit with a hymn this game.

Worth mentioning that welding jar was an all star here.

R2 vs omni show vs Philippe (lose dice roll)
    game 1 he has turn 1 show omni and I die.
    Game 2 I have a fast hand with disciple and some guys. He casts show and tell and I play the sb thorn of amethyst. He is dead to my next attack. He casts emrakul but is unable to find a kill. He mistakenly attacks, and I deal 6 via disicple + annihilation trigger. He dies.
    Game 3 I had a turn 1 vault skirge. Turn 2 ravager and disciple. Turn 3 ballista and kill him on turn 3.

R3 vs Jeremie (lose dice roll)
    Game 1 I had a decent game going. He'd doing a lot of brainstorms and force of wills my revoker. He had seen my hand and it prevented me from casting thoughtcast (I had 2).he cabal therapies me and I can't catch up.
    Game 2 I have turn 2 chalice, turn 2 revoker naming engineering explosives. He has smash to smithereens and other removal spells. I die.
    We play a post sb one for fun and he still crushes me. I had sided in thorns... And after this game I think the correct sb plan is to go very aggro with disciple and cut the chalice plan. Maybe even bring in winter orbs.

R4 vs Stephane (win dice roll)
    Game 1 I have a turn 1 chalice + mox opal. He plays a plains. I play a ravager. He plays a karakas + Thalia. I play ballista. He doesn't really recover as he misses his 4th land... He had wasteland my tomb.
    Game 2 I cut chalice and go for the aggro build. I have a multiple ravager and welding jar hand. I also draw multiple ballista. He plays an abyssal persecutors and I can't really do anything... But he can't either. He taxi deluged and used a ballista to kill my ravager (1 counter and pithing needle is on ravager.) I move 1 counter to my other ballista and have a 3/3. I eventually draw an ancient tomb. I can start putting counters on my ballista.

I get down to* 9 life and my one ballista has 5 counters. The other is at 2. He attacks me with big flying guy and I go down to 1.

I am pretty sure he has swords so I cant kill him without 8 counters. He's at 7.

So I attack with both ballistas. He blocks one and decays the other (i use two of my 3 welding jars).

Then I decide to go for it. He needs two swords to beat me. I add a counter, and go to - 1 life (ancient tomb... But I live bc of persecutor) then I ping one damage at a time to play around a swords, which he had.

His next card was a 2nd swords. Whew!

Proposed changes:
    I never got to draw the etched champion so I'm not sure about it. I would rather run another vault skirge anyway.

-1 champion +1 skirge
    -1 champion +1 master of etherium or steel overseer.
    -3 ancient den +3 great furnace if red sb or darksteel citadel for better mana. Red options are okay, blood moon or the Enchantment that pings by tapping untapped artifact.....if playing citadel then I would probably run a 2nd overseer or maybe a Jitte.

Both are probably worth testing since welding jar can protect. Master has a stronger immediate effect, but steel is easier on mana base and can come out turn 1 easily. (allowing for better ballista interaction)

Also a nice interaction with darksteel citadel and tezzeret 5/5 ability. Probably the easiest way.

Thanks to opponents, who were all very nice to the strange American.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

4 walking ballista
    4 arcbound ravager
    4 vault skirge
    4 ornithopter
    3 phyrexian revoker
    1 steel overseer

4 cranial plating
    4 thoughtcast
    4 welding jar
    3 springleaf drum
    4 chalice of the void

4 mox opal
    3 darksteel citadel
    4 vault of whispers
    4 seat of the synod
    4 ancient tomb

Sb
    4 disciple of the Vault
    3 ensnaring bridge
    3 thorn of amethyst
    3 winter orb
    2 grafdigger's cage

R1 dnt. Lost dice roll.

Game 1
    He goes turn 1 Vial. I have a fast hand but it's dependent on spring leaf drum. I have a slow hand and he has port and revoker for my drum. Game goes pretty long, and I tezz ultimate but not for lethal. I am dead next turn and draw the ballista ravager combo but he unfortunately has swords #2 in response to my ballista being cast.
    Game 2
    I drop most of my hand quickly and eventually just kill him. He had a turn 1 Vial but I was able to sneak it out. He drew multiple STP and path to Exile.
    Game 3
    He had a turn 2 Vial. I was pretty dependent on mox opal and he shut it off via revoker. I never really could recover and had a winter orb out. I died with multiple ensnaring bridge, ravager, and other artifacts in my hand.

R2 lost dice roll
    Food chain
    Game 1
    Not much to say here. He drew deathrite and multiple baleful strix.* When I did play a ballista he played his own and took away my advantage. I had revoker for his deathrite but eventually it died to ballista #2.* Then I died after stupidly putting myself to 7 forgetting his deathrite was still active. I died to 2 deathrite activations and 3 pings from the 2 ballistas. I also recall playing both tezzeret and stupidly not making my citadel a 5/5.* He was able to clear my board and kill it both times immediately.
    Game 2
    More of the same. He had a Leovold as well. I didn't draw welding jars or anything remotely aggressive enough.

R3 ANT lost dice roll
    Game 1
    He beat me pretty fast. I think turn 2.
    Game 2
    I have thorn and revoker on led. I am able to get there with damage over a few turns. Good old hate.
    Game 3
    I had a turn 1 ballista. (he mulled to 6 and scried to bottom.) turn 1 he cast probe.
    Turn 2 I drew chalice and played it along with a land. Attack for 1. He played another land and passed.
    Turn 3 I play out a few more artifacts including ravager, make 9/9 ballista and deal 18 out of nowhere.

R4 food chain with emrakul (no ballista) lost dice roll
    Game 1
    He kills me with a bunch of value cards.
    Game 2
    I had a pretty explosive hand and killed him after a few turns. Winter orb slowed him down and I topdeck ed a few ravagers.
    Game 3 I believe it was some combination of disicple ravager ballista. Winter orb was also critical here.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 04-19-2017 at 02:49 AM.
    -rob

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Has cradle been played in this deck? It feels like it could create a ton of mana fairly quickly and create a large Ballista. It also gives access to Green Gearhulk whick is another sick thing with a Ballista, but might change up how the deck wants to play
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i tried testing cradle in goldfishing, but i rarely was able to get more than 2 mana with it. i think it might be a very good suggestion, but will probably require more 0's and potentially frogmites with a topping out with ballista. gearhulk does seem like it would be a great option. is green gearhulk 5 mana or 6 mana?

edit Verdurous Gearhulk

i'd be tempted to drop the thoughtcasts and run green artifact mana + glimpse of nature then as well to help from getting slaughtered by terminus effects.

i can test it this weekend vs miracles/ANT.

thanks for posting on here, i felt like i was talking to myself...but still wanted to document my matches somewhere.

might be a bit too all-in, but

4 ornithoper
    4 memnite
    4 frogmite
    4 arcbound ravager
    4 signal pest
    4 vault skirge
    4 walking ballista
    2 verdurous gearhulk
    3 springleaf drum
    4 glimpse of nature
    4 cranial plating
    4 mox opal
    4 tree of tales
    4 vault of whispers
    4 ancient tomb
    3 gaea's cradle

could run 4 ancient den instead of vault of whispers if moving plating isn't important and you want white hate bears. cradle also gives you access to some good disenchant effects with all the 0 guys even if null rod is out. i am a little partial to disciple of the vault out of the sb though.

Other option is just changing the previous list slight to accommodate for gearhulk and cradle. Chalice has been good and so has welding jar... But I guess I can see an argument for cutting chalice (to the sb) in favor of a 2/2 split in gearhulk and cradle. Not sure how it will play out, I can certainly goldfish it a bunch for now.

4 walking ballista
    4 arcbound ravager
    4 vault skirge
    4 ornithopter
    4 phyrexian revoker
    2 verdurous gearhulk
    1 memnite
    2 cranial plating
    4 thoughtcast
    4 welding jar
    4 springleaf drum

4 mox opal
    2 tree of tales
    4 vault of whispers
    4 seat of the synod
    4 ancient tomb
    3 gaea's cradle

Sb
    4 chalice of the void
    3 ensnaring bridge
    3 thorn of amethyst
    3 winter orb
    2 grafdigger's cage

posting here for reference, a modern ballista deck.

4 Arcbound Ravager
    3 Arcbound Worker
    4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 Blooming Marsh
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Forest
    1 Glimmervoid
    4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Hardened Scales
    2 Memnite
    4 Mox Opal
    2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
    4 Ornithopter
    3 Spire of Industry
    4 Springleaf Drum
    2 Steel Overseer
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Winding Constrictor

1 Basilisk Collar
    3 Blood Moon
    1 Etched Champion
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Natural State
    1 Spellskite
    3 Thoughtseize
    Last edited by mistercakes; 04-21-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    -rob

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I can't say I've ever played Affinity before, but I was just thinking about fast creature dumping, plus a ton of cradle mana to make big ballista, plus gearhulk to go bananas. I was thinking keep thought cast, but maybe glimpse is better? Any way to fit both? Basically full on aggro with like 7-8 draw spells for one?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I can't say I've ever played Affinity before, but I was just thinking about fast creature dumping, plus a ton of cradle mana to make big ballista, plus gearhulk to go bananas. I was thinking keep thought cast, but maybe glimpse is better? Any way to fit both? Basically full on aggro with like 7-8 draw spells for one?

i think it is possible. probably have to cut the tezz, which is good vs control matchups, especially when ensnaring bridge is out of the sb. i suppose we can try another list. then the black won't be needed.

i don't think glimpse is better as you'll likely need tree of tales to start off any good turn 1 stuff. (mox opal could potentially, but it would likely have you play some 0 drop creature prior to casting glimpse).

here's my go though:

4 walking ballista
    4 arcbound ravager
    3 vault skirge
    4 ornithopter
    3 phyrexian revoker
    3 verdurous gearhulk
    3 memnite
    2 master of etherium
    4 mox opal
    4 thoughtcast
    3 welding jar
    3 springleaf drum
    2 cranial plating
    2 nissa, vital force

4 tree of tales
    1 vault of whispers
    4 seat of the synod
    4 ancient tomb
    3 gaea's cradle

sb would then need to be reconfigured a bit. just a suggestion, but nothing set in stone. i like the planeswalkers approach for miracles and bug matchups.

2 garruk relentless
    2 krosan grip
    3 winter orb
    3 ensnaring bridge
    3 thorn of amethyst
    2 manglehorn
    -rob

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I agree. I think Nissa, VF is an incredible card in the format playing it in Nic Fit. Maybe I'll throw it together on Cockatrice and see how it goes. I like the thought of going full elf mode by dumping dudes but also having access to powerful draw spells as well as having a powerful end game in Gearhulk Plus Ballista. Also think Darksteel Citadel is better than Vault of Whispers? Or maybe a man land of some sort?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

just ran a match on cockatrice with a deck similar to my last edit. played vs blood moon red deck and beat it 2-0. will need some more testing. do you wanna test on cockatrice with some real decks? (also nissa isn't a dead draw with an empty hand unlike glimpse) we don't have symbiotes to do some cheater stuff like elves.

also the singleton vault is good as an artifact (mox draws and ravager) and it also is half the cost of instant speed equip with plating.

will keep track of games.

played g1 vs eldrazi mud, then he disconnected b/c i wasn't playing a tier deck after chalicing me for 0.
    played vs miracle of science. beat 2-0
    played vs underground sea. then i vomited my hand and he disconnected.
    played vs merfolk 0-2 (he had ENERGY field? what year is this)
    played vs eldrazi post lost 1-2 (game 1 kept a 1 lander after mull and never recovered). game 3 i had a good start, but he had a spatial contortion for my ballista (looks like i had a turn 3 kill, so i started with ballista instead of ravager)

i only had one game so far (where i had cradle + a green card) during game 1. i did cast garruk relentless a few times. seems fine. and can tutor up ballistas/ravager after it flips. still not sure if i'm sold on it, but will keep trying.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 04-20-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    -rob

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Merfolk deck with chalice and vial playing Energy Flux? I mean, get fucked I guess

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Was thinking the abyss could be great in creature matchups (barring strix)
    -rob

Thread Information