Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2/15/09 CASH Tournament @ The GRID in Manchester, CT

2/15/09 CASH Tournament @ The GRID in Manchester, CT

The Grid Games in Manchester, CT is hosting its monthly Legacy cash tournament. Attendance at the last event was double our previous event so Legacy is alive in well in CT.

Prize support for this event if there are a minimum of 12 players will be over $300 in cash and cards.

WHERE:
    THE GRID GAMES
    52 PURNELL PLACE
    MANCHESTER, CT 06040
    860-645-9006
    http://thegridgames.net

WHEN:
    SUNDAY FEBRUARY 15TH
    REGISTRATION STARTS AT 12 NOON
    TOURNAMENT STARTS AT 1PM
    ENTRY FEE $20.00

GREAT PRIZE SUPPORT:
    1ST PLACE $150.00
    2ND PLACE $75.00
    3RD & 4TH PLACE $50.00
    5TH – 8TH PLACE DRAFT SET
    These are the bare minimum prizes if attendance is similar to last month
    expect them to be significantly higher.

This tournament is sanctioned and will be swiss pairings cut to a single elimination top 8. There will be side Legacy, Standard and Draft events throughout the day.

GUARANTEED PRIZE SUPPORT WITH A MINIMUM OF 12 PLAYERS

PRIZES WILL BE ADJUSTED UPWARDS BASED ON ATTENDANCE

Expert on all Relevant Formats.
    Sep 2008
    Connecticut and Bryant University during college time

Re: 2/15/09 CASH Tournament @ The GRID in Manchester, CT

I see no reason that this one can't get 50 people. The last one was a huge success and a lot of fun.

Feb 2006
    Boston

Sunday tournaments suck, but there's not much you can do about Valentine's Day. Still unsure if I'll be going or not.

F'n Slayer!!!

Oct 2007

There were no side events played at last month's event. Also, to note, the mox pearl plus $50 to first place was a better prize offering than $150.00, even if it was beat to hell.

That said, I'll try to convince my team to show up again.

?
    Dec 2003
    High stakes cash games

I'll be there with one or two others.
    Team NeverWin: We just top 8 a lot.

Too lazy to post.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I'm glad it's not 150 bucks store credit. I'll be there with 2-3.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Feb 2007
    Worcester, MA

ENTRY FEE $20.00
    is this a typo or copy/paste error?

I'm usualy not one to critisize tournaments of any kind... mostly cause even with all the tournys i go to i prety much never top8, but for the prize support offered, a $20 entry fee seems a bit extreme... 5th-8th getting a draft set for $20... I understand its a cash tourny as opposed to cards, but still.

When you say prizes will be adjusted upward for higher turn out, could you give us an idea of what the prize support would be like for 30, 40 and 50 players...

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by RoddyVR View Post
    When you say prizes will be adjusted upward for higher turn out, could you give us an idea of what the prize support would be like for 30, 40 and 50 players...
    This.

But I don't think 20 dollars is to high because the more money that goes in then there will be more prizes given out.

Also, Hammafist want in on this tourney? I'm down.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

To once again quote Gearbear
    Holy McGoddamn fuckShit
    I think that's the first time I've seen Rob Rogers post in 1000 years. Anyways, I'm down.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Sep 2008

First off, Jaynel, your attendance is required.

Second, the prize support that Karl put up there is based on an attendance of 12. The last tournament had 32, so maybe double it or so to give you a guess for a similar turnout. I can pretty much guarantee that 5-8 will get more than their money back.

Thirdly (is thirdly even a word? I'll say it is, 'cuz I'm using it), $20 is not unreasonable, it's the fucking precident for legacy tournaments! The prize support will be very strong with a 35-40 person showing too, I'm pretty excited for this one.
    Last edited by mtglordtom24; 02-03-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Feb 2007
    Worcester, MA

Quote Originally Posted by mtglordtom24 View Post
    First off, Jaynel, you're attendance is required.

Second, the prize support that Karl put up there is based on an attendance of 12. The last tournament had 32, so maybe double it or so to give you a guess for a similar turnout. I can pretty much guarantee that 5-8 will get more than their money back.

Thirdly (is thirdly even a word? I'll say it is, 'cuz I'm using it), $20 is not unreasonable, it's the fucking precident for legacy tournaments! The prize support will be very strong with a 35-40 person showing too, I'm pretty excited for this one.
    I agree with all of that (including that $20 is not unreasonable)... $20 entry is unreasonable for the prize support listed if there's over 30 people showing up/expected. Vague statements of "increased prizes if more people show up" arent realy helping anyone. If the prize support for 30 people is double the posted amounts, then the TO should post that. At the very least because seeing bigger prize amounts would entice more people to go.

Sep 2008

While in theory I believe that people respond to incentives, I believe that you'd have to have a ridiculous amount of prize for people who were'nt going to attend to change their minds. Most people go to Legacy tournaments because they're Legacy tournaments, in spite of the prize support, the decision to attend is pretty much independent of that incentive.

Either way, the next time I talk to Karl, I'll be sure to ask him to post some theoretical prize support structures based on higher levels of attendance. That is if he doesn't just check this thread and add it in anyways.

Regardless, the real question RoddyVR, is whether you won't be attending on account of prize support. If the incentive of prize support is what would make you attend this tournament, then your job should become to get as many people to go to it as possible so that prize support becomes ridiculously high and you can have your prize support. That doesn't ensure that you'll be receiving any of it, you have to take care of that part, but it would get the prize support you desire and the number of people at the tourney that everyone wants. The Grid can easily hold over 80 people, for States a couple of years ago they had planned to hold up to like 110 people and we had 86 (I think) no problem. Think of how good prize support would be if you could get 86 people for the tourney, RoddyVR. (Probably not going to happen as TMLO only had like 73) I know the problem you're harping on is that you want actual numbers, but still, I think that going to just play is enough, prize support will be there.

Feb 2007
    Worcester, MA

I probably fit better in your first catagory, where the prize support isnt the main draw, its the tourny (i dont win enough to fool myself into thinking i'm going for the prizes). While a better prize structure wouldnt entice me to go if i wasnt going to, a crapy prize structure would make me think twice about going. If someone posted a $20 entry sunday tourny with $150 first prize no matter how many people showed up, i'd never go, because my local $5 tourny has better prize support (per cost of entry).
    So while you're right, that better prize support is unlikely to make someone go who wasnt otherwise... crapy prize support can make someone who would have gone otherwise, not go. The problem with the OP of this thread is that it makes the prize support seem worse then it realy is.

Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by RoddyVR View Post
    The problem with the OP of this thread is that it makes the prize support seem worse then it realy is.
    Prize Support will most surely be better than what's posted above!!! This event will be awesome! More people = More prize! Bring your friends!

That better?

F'n Slayer!!!

Oct 2007

Prize Support will most surely be better than what's posted above!!! This event will be awesome! More people = More prize! Bring your friends!

That better?
    The last tournament sported 32 players. I'm not sure what 1st-8th got, but I know that 9th place and below did not receive prizes.

Can you please post the prize support that was given to 5th-8th last tournament, and how you will improve upon it for this tournament?

Thanks.

Feb 2006
    Boston

5-8 last time was 2 draft sets or $25 in store credit.

Sep 2008

How will I improve upon it? It's not my call, it's Karl's. I have nothing to do with the tournament outside of playing in it, winning it and obviously a little bit of promotion for Grid events, but PT Paul does a lot more of that. I know all too well that only Top 8 got prize last time, I came in 10th. :'(

If 32 players show up, it's more than likely the same prize support for 5-8, obviously 1st will be different as this tourney is for cash, not a Mox Pearl.

The thing is that if prize support matters a lot to you, you should do your part in making sure that there's a high turn out. Karl is very good about scaling up prize support to give back to the participants and if there's a high turnout, there'll be proportionally high prize support. So you should get all of your buddies to go too. But who wouldn't want to go?!? The last tournament was pretty much the bomb and this one will only be better. The awesomeness will be cranked up to 11, and that's just because I'll be there (as of right now, I'm coming, even if only to do no more than to crush Jaynel's dreams), if Jaynel misplaces his sack and doesn't show, then maybe an 8 on the awesomeness factor, but PT Paul will be there, so back to a 10.5 or so.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

How will I improve upon it? It's not my call, it's Karl's.
    If it's not your call, don't comment on it. The mox was a nice selling point of the last tournament. Other than that, if this wasn't a legacy event, I wouldn't be showing up.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Sep 2008

It's not my call as to improving prize structure, obviously Karl can't meet escalation demands to increase prize support after every legacy event or he'll lose money on it. I feel more than qualified to defend the prize structure that Karl has laid out and plenty dignified with the way I'm handling the comments of posters on this thread will actual questions or comments that I have some ability to answer or respond to.

However, you saying that I shouldn't comment on something I can't control that I didn't comment on is just asinine. Saying that you're going to a tournament only because it's legacy is also unnecessary, 90% of the people who play in area legacy tournaments only play legacy and sometimes a little limited.

If you aren't helping promote the event, answer someone's question, respond with a productive comment, tell us a story or make us all laugh with a witty joke, then you shouldn't bother posting at all. It's good to hear that you're going, it sucks that you aren't more excited about it, but don't go posting just to bring other people down, it's not necessary. I think we all want a very successful and especially fun event, and I'm just trying to do what I can to make that a reality. I never said anything about how Karl was going to increase prize support, I have no say in that, as I said. What I did touch on was that Karl's defined prize support for 12 people is not a good approximation of what the actual prize support will be, as there will be a lot more than 12 people, we hope. So there was no need for you to step in and tell me not to comment on it.

If you want to contribute the comment that you believe flashy prizes like Moxen are better selling points for future legacy events at the Grid than cash and you would rather that than cash as prize, that'd be fine, it's good feedback. Otherwise, there was no need for your post.

Hi all you Legacy fantastics!

First, let me say you gave me some awesome reading material as I just took a mondo dump as I saw this link.

Now Karl and I work very closely on these type of events and my part is promotion and date selection. We both wanted to offer another Mox or some legacy staples however the window for getting the date and initial post after the Pearl Extravaganza was too short. So as a Shoppe Keep of many years Karl wanted to get something up and not risk losing his shirt due to possible winter weather or guys being stuck with their girlfriends all weekend lol. So he used a model with little financial risk to gaurantee on a low number and do the traditional scale up for greater numbers.

I am truly psyched about this event and will gladly show you what kind of treachery can be done with Conflux.

Those of you who like to draft can get side action 2v2 or 3v3 or 8 man or the Sunday Standard starts at 2pm. Actually this Sunday will be Standard for a Case of Conflux with more info on The Grid website.

In closing this should be a great event with humor, good competition and plenty of fun and of course yours truly will be there.

No need to flame any typos as I wrote this on the crapper.

Cyall on the 15th or better yet this weekend at the Grid.
    PTPaul :-)

Thread Information