Thread: Evoke

Evoke

this situation came up earlier tonight. I had a goyf on the board and my opponent 'evoked' his shriekmaw. I didnt know if evoke was an activated ability and I could stifle it. or if it was actually being cast, in which case I would force it. I thought that it was being cast and I could force it, though I had stifle in my hand too. I was up at the front of the shop, so we asked one of the owners. he looked it up and said it was a static ability, so I couldnt do either.

Re: Evoke

Helps to read your cards, and/or the rules. Note the word "play".

There's a couple of "when"s, too, which is a trigger if you prefer that. I suggest Stifling the one that kills your guy rather than the one that sacrifices the Shriekmaw.

Evoke: Evoke is a keyword ability that represents two abilities: a static ability that functions in any zone from which the card can be played and a triggered ability that functions in play. "Evoke [cost]" means "You may play this card by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost" and "When this permanent comes into play, if its evoke cost was paid, its controller sacrifices it." Paying a card's evoke cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1f-h. See rule 502.74, "Evoke."
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post

Helps to read your cards, and/or the rules. Note the word "play".

There's a couple of "when"s, too, which is a trigger if you prefer that. I suggest Stifling the one that kills your guy rather than the one that sacrifices the Shriekmaw.
    yeah, I did read it, it just wasnt making any sense at the time. I see the word "play", so does that mean that I can cast force of will to counter an evoked shriekmaw ?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Yes, since they are playing it. You can also Stifle the creature removal part of it also since it is a triggered ability.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Evoking a creature is still playing it. The ONLY difference between evoking and playing is that you pay an alternate cost and that it gains the "When THIS comes into play, sacrifice it" triggered ability.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by lilycollins View Post
    In this situation, the owner was correct. Evoke is not an activated ability nor is it casting a spell. It is a triggered ability that occurs when the creature with evoke enters the battlefield, and the player chooses whether to pay the evoke cost or not. Since it is not an activated ability or a spell being cast, neither Stifle nor Force of Will can counter it. The Shriekmaw's triggered ability would still resolve even if you had Stifle in your hand.
    Evoke is an alternative cost, chat gpt. It's casting a spell

Thread Information