Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] G/R Midrange/Silvos.dec

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

[Deck] G/R Midrange/Silvos.dec

So I've decided that I really like winning with Forests, but also, that Burn spells are just too good in my metagame not to play. There's alot of creature decks at my new school. From what I've seen, Everyone just seems to roll over and die to the redundant creature deck with removal, including the control players. I figure, if I'm playing better creatures along with a slower strategy, I'll be playing the correct deck. I have the Taigas and Fetches, so I'm onto building G/R. Also, Silvos is BA.

Creatures: 18
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Blastoderm
    2 Iwamori of the Open Fist
    2 Rumbling Slum
    2 Silvos, Rogue Elemental

Spells: 19
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    3 Magma Jet
    3 Pyroclasm

4 Harmonize

Mana: 24
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    6 Forest
    2 Mountain

SB
    4 Firespout
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Choke
    3 Magus of the Moon

Card Choices:

Kird Ape - He's still a great 1 drop, and about the best turn 1 play this deck can produce. I pretty sure he stays as a 4of.

Tarmogoyf - 4x

Blastoderm - I've always liked playing with this card. Burning their blockers and swinging with this guy is plan A. He's an efficient 5/5 for 4 with Shroud, and while Fading really sucks, he's usually done his job by then.

Iwamori - Another 5/5 for 4. His ability could potentially ruin me, but I'm willing to take that chance. He runs over little guys really well, allowing you to save burn for their face. Legend status puts him at 2x.

Rumbling Slum - The last of the 4 Drops. He has no drawback really, and could be better than Blastoderm. However, Blastoderms are better in multiples than this guy. I'd like to play more, but for now he stays at 2x. I've considered just playing more spells in this slot, but I've found playing this guy keeps my gameplan of a quick 5/5 really consistent.

Silvos, Rogue Elemental - I'm not sure if this choice is actually all that defend able, because he does have a pretty hefty manacost. Regardless, He's a huge finisher. I kinda like how he costs so much, because once this deck accumulates a good amount of mana, it often doesnt have anything big to dump it into, since the threats cost 4. A great lategame bomb, imo. The question for me is, Should this be Rorix? Triple red might be hard.

Lightning Bolt / Chain Lightning / Magma Jet - These clear the way for my creatures and double as reach at the end of the game. I've been playing against stuff like Life combo, Elves, and White Weenie. Should be clear why they're here.

Pyroclasm - None of my creatures die to it. Few decks play this mainboard, so against plenty of decks this will just be a huge kick in the teeth. Fully fits into the mold of the deck.

Harmonize - I am absolutely willing to tap out for a turn to go up this many cards. Against the players that I'm expecting to see I should be under very little pressure. I loved Concentrate, and I love this card. This is the card that took me to building this. Fantastic in a midrange deck.

Chrome Mox - Mox makes me alot faster. I think it's totally worth it to go down a card and play a faster big guy. I would like to play Pyroclasm, and this seems like the only good accelerant that plays nicely with that.

----------------

All of my testing has been on MWS, but I've been beating up on every creature deck I've played. I really like playing the 5/5's. It seems like once their creatures can't stand up to mine, I've already won. The deck does have a whole lot of cards in the 4 slot, but Chrome Mox makes it easier. You autolose to combo, but I'm not too worried about it. If this is the strategy that I'd like to play, what can I do to improve it?

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Re: [Deck] G/R Midrange/Silvos.dec

4 Jets are a must, IMO. Either drop a Harmonize or Silvos for it. I'd rather lose a Silvos. Fuck paying lots of mana for fatties - you play 4 Goyfs and eat life sooner than Silvos.

An extra Jet will help you ditch late game Moxes also.

I'd see if you could squeeze in maybe 2 Fireblasts for big finishes to the dome. Maybe lose more of your overcosted beaters for them. With 4 Jets and 4 Harmonizes, you'll likely have the Mountains to sac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Feb 2006
    Boston

This guy was recently spoiled:

Spellbreaker Behemoth
    1RGG
    Creature - Beast
    Spellbreaker Behemoth can't be countered.
    Creature spells you control with power 5 or greater can't be countered.
    5/5

Seems pretty good.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Did you consider Deus of Calamity? Seems better than Silvos: regenerate doesn't seem to be as game ending as Trample and the "destroy land" ability against control.

Also, I'd play Volcanic Fallout instead of Pyroclasm: it deals damage to players and it matters against control. The fact that's istant and uncounterable means that it's going to remove some Mishra's factory and nasty Merfolks, and it also matters against Rishadan port and eventually against Warchief+2xPiledriver shenanigans.

So, basically, I'd play your deck with:
    -3 Pyroclasm +3 Volcanic Fallout
    -2 Silvos +2 Deus of Calamity

You can look into this deck for further inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

I dont think Silvos' finisher effect is really necessary.

If you are looking for a big mana sink finisher, perhaps Thornling?

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I agree with every post, except the one about Volcanic Fallout. I'm not expecting fish-esque decks at all. It's one more for instant speed, but I think I'd rather have Pyroclasm.

Changes I've decided on:

-2 Iwamori
    -2 Silvos

+1 Rumbling Slum
    +1 Magma Jet
    +2 Deus of Calamity

Cards that I'm considering ditching,

Chain Lightning
    Kird Ape
    Chrome Mox #4

Chain Lightning often seemed like it would be better as something else. It's an efficient card, but I often compared it to Seal of Fire. In this deck, your only plays within the first 2 turns are Kird Ape and Tarmogoyf. Many times in testing I ended up passing my first turn with a Chain Lightning in hand that I wanted to save for a creature. If that had been Seal, I would have used that turn well, and while the 1 extra damage is missed, In many situations it does the same job. Enchantments for Goyf too? I'm gonna make the change to seal

-4 Chain Lightning
    +4 Seal of Fire

Chrome Mox was bad in multiples. Down to 3.

-1 Chrome Mox
    +1 Mountain

So, the list looks like this.

Creatures: 17
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Blastoderm
    3 Rumbling Slum
    2 Deus of Calamity

Spells: 19
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Seal of Fire
    4 Magma Jet
    3 Pyroclasm

4 Harmonize

Mana: 24
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    6 Forest
    3 Mountain

SB
    4 Firespout
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Choke
    3 Magus of the Moon

Also, Spellbreaker Behemoth will get played in this deck. I have no idea where, but it does.

Thoughts?

Carltron's Robot
    Jul 2006
    Europe

You might be interested in this deck, it does look similar to yours:

http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=23360

It plays Elves instead of Chrome Mox and Fires of Yavimaya instead of Burn.

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

With so many fatties, I'd look at something like Concordant Crossroads or Mass Hysteria. It speeds everything up so much and it means an extra 5 damage out of stars like Blastoderm. Think of it kind of like Where Ancients Tread in that it kind of turns your guys into FTKs. Speaking of which... where's Flametongue Kavu?

Oct 2007
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    With so many fatties, I'd look at something like Concordant Crossroads or Mass Hysteria. It speeds everything up so much and it means an extra 5 damage out of stars like Blastoderm. Think of it kind of like Where Ancients Tread in that it kind of turns your guys into FTKs. Speaking of which... where's Flametongue Kavu?
    Fires of Yavimaya seems much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    ..we all know that the Dutch are to Magic what Koreans are to Starcraft.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    I agree with every post, except the one about Volcanic Fallout. I'm not expecting fish-esque decks at all. It's one more for instant speed, but I think I'd rather have Pyroclasm.
    Uncounterable is just a plus, as is the istant speed. But this thing also damages the players, making it not dead against control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Feb 2006
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by leander? View Post
    Fires of Yavimaya seems much better.
    Yeah, I'd agree. You're not really playing any awesome creatures before turn 3 (Tarmogoyf doesn't count), and Fires isn't dead in multiples.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I really like the idea of playing Fires of Yavimaya. It makes all my creatures alot better, and my gameplan alot faster. I was trying to squeeze FTK in before, but I couldn't find the room. Howabout this proposed list?

Creatures:
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Blastoderm
    3 Rumbling Slum
    3 Flametongue Kavu

Spells:
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Seal of Fire
    4 Magma Jet

3 Harmonize

3 Fires of Yavimaya
    2 Saproling Burst

Mana: 21
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    6 Forest
    3 Mountain

SB
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Choke
    3 Magus of the Moon
    X Krosan Grip
    X Compost
    X Tin-Street Hooligan
    X Red Blasts

Chrome Mox leaves to make room for Llanowar Elves. Pyroclasm follows suit, so that leaves room for FTK. The only thing I'm not sold on is the Saproling Bursts. It's a pretty mediocre card without Fires in play to compliment it. I can't seem to fit in Pandemonium, so it might not be worth it. If those slots go to something else, what should it be? Fireblast? Deus?

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Burst can always make two tokens and really put the pain on. They end up doing 8+6+4+2, or 20 damage, when unanswered. Back in T2, they were a real pain because the creatures would go all the way if they were unanswered. I guess it's just a determination of whether your opponents can land blockers or removal to take care of the tokens. Even if they remove one, you can spawn another and deal 4 (the first one) + 4 + 2 damage, which seems acceptable.

Pandemonium might be a lot better, though.

Carltron's Robot
    Jul 2006
    Europe

Here again is the list from above if you're too lazy to follow the link. It has the whole Fires- and Burst- and Pandemonium-thing already implented, although it does play no burn at all.

creature [28]

4 Blastoderm
    4 Deus of Calamity
    4 Fyndhorn Elves
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Lumbering Satyr
    4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    4 Tarmogoyf

enchantment [11]

4 Fires of Yavimaya
    3 Pandemonium
    4 Saproling Burst

land [21]

2 Bloodstained Mire
    5 Forest
    4 Mountain
    4 Taiga
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Krosan Grip
    4 Firespout
    3 Blood Moon

I think Deus of Calamity and Lumbering Satyr are interesting choices here.
    In a metagame where the majority of decks splash green for Goyf, the Satyr makes all your beaters unblockable -> clears the way for a fast win with Burst.
    Deus can also deal his 6 damage this way to screw the opponent, or you just play him regularly on like on turn 4 attacking with haste.

I imagine that the combo matchup is very bad for decks like this.

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Oh, another consideration is Orcish Lumberjack. 5 mana on turn 2 is insaaaaaaane.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Actually Moczoc, I looked quite closely at that list before I posted. I don't like Lumbering Satyr really. There are better 4drop beaters than him. He'll make the other guys Goblins unblockable, seems rough.

I think you're absolutely right hi-val. +4 Orcish Lumberjack

Creatures:
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Sakura Tribe Elder
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Blastoderm
    3 Spellbreaker Behemoth
    2 Rumbling Slum
    2 Deus of Calamity

Spells:
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Seal of Fire

4 Harmonize

3 Fires of Yavimaya

Mana: 22 Land
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    7 Forest
    3 Mountain

That's -4 Llanowar Elves -4 Magma Jet -1 Seal of Fire -2 Saproling Burst -1 Rumbling Slum, +2 Deus of Calamity +1 Harmonize +1 Forest +4 Orcish Lumberjack + 4 Sakura Tribe Elder. I figure, Turn 2 Deus is too good to pass up, and Lumberjacking into Harmonize is good. Llanowar Elves kinda sucks. Tribe Elder gives me forests to cut down, and sets up those big turn 3's. Makes me wonder if Yavimaya Elder is better tho...

EDIT : -3 FTK +3 Spellbreaker Behemoth. FTK makes the SB tho.
    Last edited by troopatroop; 04-12-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Orcish Lumberjack is nutz! Needs a lot of work, but IMHO he can make some kind of RG Midrange deck to be Tier2, not just fun casual deck! Great work, hi-val!

Blue metagame wants Vexing Shusher maindeck. My personal 1st cut is Tarmogoyf 'cause I hate to play dumb cards. With Spellbreaker Behemot the problem will be solved (x4 and no less maindeck)

Sideboar Pyrostatic pillar can rape some decks.

Burning-Tree Shaman can hurt someone.

Maybe some Garruks or Chandras (my pet card, always wanted to make her work in Legacy) here? They may be crazy on turn 2!

We can also run Crucible of Worlds to have Jack material and to accelerate each turn with only 1 of our 8 fetchlands.

Tectonic Break can be good with Jack. Say, Turn 1 land, Jack, Turn 2 land, Garruk/Chandra/Deus/Other beater, Turn 3 land, Break all lands. With Jack online we can cast most of our spells with 1 land, that's why I think Crucible of Worlds can find some place here.

Argothian Wurm/Shivan Wumpus can be nice on Turn 2/3.

Kodama of the North Tree can have a try 'cause it's big and hard to deal with.

All these card need a lot work, and I'll try to build some kind of RG Land Destroy+Big Beats deck.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by eq.firemind View Post
    Orcish Lumberjack is nutz! Needs a lot of work, but IMHO he can make some kind of RG Midrange deck to be Tier2, not just fun casual deck! Great work, hi-val!

Blue metagame wants Vexing Shusher maindeck. My personal 1st cut is Tarmogoyf 'cause I hate to play dumb cards. With Spellbreaker Behemot the problem will be solved (x4 and no less maindeck)

Sideboar Pyrostatic pillar can rape some decks.

Burning-Tree Shaman can hurt someone.

Maybe some Garruks or Chandras (my pet card, always wanted to make her work in Legacy) here? They may be crazy on turn 2!

We can also run Crucible of Worlds to have Jack material and to accelerate each turn with only 1 of our 8 fetchlands.

Tectonic Break can be good with Jack. Say, Turn 1 land, Jack, Turn 2 land, Garruk/Chandra/Deus/Other beater, Turn 3 land, Break all lands. With Jack online we can cast most of our spells with 1 land, that's why I think Crucible of Worlds can find some place here.

Argothian Wurm/Shivan Wumpus can be nice on Turn 2/3.

Kodama of the North Tree can have a try 'cause it's big and hard to deal with.

All these card need a lot work, and I'll try to build some kind of RG Land Destroy+Big Beats deck.
    I would never play Vexing Shusher MD. This deck does well against blue anyways, and you can always board them. Your personal vendetta against Tarmogoyf is illogical. It's an amazing card, and theres no better beater in Magic, Period.

Pillar is a fine SB card. Play it if you want.

A friend of mine suggested Crucible. This of course would cause us to play 4 Wasteland, and to generally be playing a different deck. Crucible isn't an aggressive card, but I could see some sort of R/G Land Destruction deck working.

Garruk seems lackluster. Chandra seems poor. Kodama is the best card you've mentioned, since dropping it turn 2 is good. Is it better than Deus of Calamity? I'm unsure.

the evil of the chens
    Jun 2008
    germany

Iam going to test that idea on MWS, looks pretty nice.
    Only thing I would change yet before testing ist seal of fire <-> chain lightning?
    Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Split Second, because Counterbalance needs to GTFO.

If I find the time, I will test the following over the weekend (after cutting 1 more card):

4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Deus of Calamity
    4 Blastoderm
    3 Spellbreaker Behemoth
    2 Rumbling Slum

4 Harmonize
    4 Plow Under
    4 Fires of Yavimaya
    2 Sarkhan Vol

6 Forest
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Mountain
    1 Gaea’s Cradle

Spirit Guide is included to enable turn 2 Fires or turn 2 fatty (with Elf). I like them better than Fyndhorn as they can actually beat down if needed. I've decided not to play Tarmogoyf / Sakura to blank all Spell Snares in opponents decks (also good against CB). I might put them back, but so far I like the idea of not playing any 2cc cards. Cradle, Sarkhan, and Plow Under I want to test, they seem ok in the deck but hard to say without any testing. I don't really like the burn spells in this kind of deck, I think Firespout / Volcanic Fallout from the SB should be enough. I am also not sure about the mana, might need tunning up a bit.

Thread Information