Page 2 of 262 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Oct 2008
    Liberty, MO

Re: [DTB] Tempo Thresh

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    I'm not supposed to sound like an asshole but you ask something that's been explained allready.
    Well you did and again, obvious. I was just trying to clarify things for myself, there was no need for your comments at all in the first place. Waya did an excellent explanation.
    What happened to the 1st Amendment?

Brazilians go nuts!
    Jan 2009

hey boys, take it easy...

We're all friends that like magic and wanna improove our decks by sharing good and bad experience.

My entire point is about merging color, for example, i have finished my UGR thresh, and i just want to read about it.
    YOu know, just for tweak some things.
    I would hate look for stuff about canadian and just find lines about UGB oy anything else...

And I just wanna know that if this thread is about the find the best tempo deck splashing or not any amount of colors?

ty all
    Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.
    Black Knight

I know its somewhat early, but my play group is starting to prep for GenCon. Since I'm the only one that really posts on The Source, I'm going to post/share our testing to see if we can get any feedback. This run on testing was done over ten games vs each of the following decks without sideboarding allowing for some G1 conclusions. This was the list used:

Creature [8]
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Tarmogoyf

Instant [28]
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Fire / Ice
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    1 Rushing River

Sorcery [4]
    4 Ponder

Land [20]
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Forest
    1 Island
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland

Geddon Stax (20 - 80)
    This match is very difficult. Stax can have such an explosive start that Tempo Thresh hold has a difficult time keeping up. Killing angel when its morphed is critical because the removal in the deck is always going to a 2 for 1 in their favor if the angel's un-morphed or if Magus is out on the board. Also their creatures are just bigger and they can win with the slow roll. The problem can be summarized as Stax just has too many must answer cards for a deck that doesn't have enough answers.
    The things to watch out for in order of importance are:

Chalice for 1 (This cannot resolve if you want to win)
    3Sphere
    Smokestack
    Crucible (If they have wasteland out)
    Geddon
    Ghostly Prison

This matchup is not beyond winning. If Stax stumbles, the deck can capitalize faster than most other decks Threshold decks. Additionally, a quick Goyf backed with burn can really push the deck hard assuming they don't have a prison out. Stifle can also do stupid things like protecting from Wasteland and stopping Flagstone gains. One cool trick is that if you have at least 3 mean and there's a 3sphere out, at the end of their turn use Ice to tap it down so you can go nuts on your turn.

Dragon Stompy (25-75)

DS is going to give this deck a lot of the same problems that Stax does. Chalice @1 is just as bad as well as 3sphere (This version was running it main). Also, Taurean Mauler gets really big quickly and only bolt kills it, assuming its the first spell you play against it. Arc Slogger is a must counter with FoW as it can end the game far more quickly than Tempo Threshold can. Blood Moon is much worse than Magus as the enchantment can't be removed besides Rushing River were as all of the removal is able to deal with the Magus. Both are problematic through and need to be dealt with. The Dragon isn't that scary as it can be killed by Bolt which is nice. Again, its just a issue of their deck being faster and their creatures larger. Sword of Fire and Ice is bad to see as all of your removal is gone making it just as high, if not higher on the list of must stops than Jitte. Wasteland on their City and Tombs is really helpful as they don't have Crucible. Furthermore, they can't recover as quickly as Stax can and their mana is a little more shaky because they have to rely on Guide sometimes to cast their spells early. Also, their top decks aren't necessarily as devastating as Stax and they tend to flop more often than you beat them to just make sure to capitalize on their misfortunes.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I find your DS matchup percentages really off. I've played tempo ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh for a long time now and I have never lost a match to DS sure I've lost games but I always won my matches vs DS at the end.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    I find your DS matchup percentages really off. I've played tempo ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh for a long time now and I have never lost a match to DS sure I've lost games but I always won my matches vs DS at the end.
    Same. Burn is ket here, and daze is just the bee's knees. Making them take lightning bolts from paying off a daze with tomb is pretty aweseome. Resolve a fatty, deal damage, and you'll be able to force few the last few.

@The List: Why so much land? 18 with 4 wasteland is very effective.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

@rsaunder & Waikiki:

A couple of things to keep in mind. We did only play 10 games which could figure into the results. Additionally, the list we used was running 3sphere main which most Dragon Stompy decks do not. A resolved 3sphere is very problematic for the deck. Additionally, these percentages are only for game one. I would imagine that post board the match up does get much better post board.

Brazilians go nuts!
    Jan 2009

Fossil4182:
    I can run only 18 lands, that's enough for a deck with 8 cantrips and with a low mana curve...

Run one more bounce, just like wipe away...

and 4 spell snare, this cards is really good against chalice@1.

And about your SB?
    Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.
    Black Knight

I've been running 2x Vendilion Clique over the 2 bounce spells lately.
    Although they were very effective, I'm still doubting whether or not the bounce spells are better.
    What are the general thoughts about the necessity of Wipe Away and Rushing River?

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

Yeah I've been thinking about that change aswell or maybe 1 clique 1 bounce spell. The bounce spells really rock vs random enchantments/planeswalkers etc. or even removing blockers. But clique also does very nice things. I should test more with it.

I think Clique is better against certain decks like combo. Outside of combo bounce is almost if not more relevant as a Clique would be. I think Clique is in the board and bounce stays main. Bounce also deals with Counterbalance which Clique doesn't (assuming its not in their hand).

Brazilians go nuts!
    Jan 2009

Clique doesn't generate tempo...

you don't boost your match by putting one card in the opponent's bottom and leting him to draw another card...

Sower is much morte TEMPO then that, and control at the same time...

or you can eve run venser...

and I know that 4 mana is an big issue for a tempo deck, but IMO it still much better...

i just think that caplan's list is our best choce atm....
    you can only change his sb by the meta....
    ty
    Black Knight

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

It's not generating tempo if you cast it in your own round but having evasion and having the ability of being played in the drawphase or eot of the opponents turn is just awesowe.
    It's a good additional beater and i play one md in a fire/ice slot.

Brazilians go nuts!
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by EaD View Post
    It's not generating tempo if you cast it in your own round but having evasion and having the ability of being played in the drawphase or eot of the opponents turn is just awesowe.
    It's a good additional beater and i play one md in a fire/ice slot.
    a single clique won't bring you tempo. I can't see any purpose by having 1 to 4.

It doesn't generate tempo...

I repeat, even sower a 4cccreature will generaet more tempo than clique.

But that is all about opinions...

I woul rather run a single chain of lighting then 1 clique...
    Black Knight

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

I really think Vedalken Shackles would be better than Sower for what either would achieve, simply because Thresh likes to have open mana with which to react when it isn't your turn. (Not to mention that Shackles is both harder to kill and reusable.) That makes it feel more like It's the Fear or Landstill or what have you, though. I personally like Vendillion Clique in that slot, because it's three-power evasion with flash, and it can either remove a threat from your opponent's hand or flush chaff out of your own. I can sort of understand an argument for something like Shackles that removes creatures, but I don't think the Thresh shell is the optimal place for Sower.
    Not that I'm married to Shackles (I think a creature would be great there, something like Shriekmaw or a better variant of Man 'o War depending on your color split), but I really think Sower is better left to a more power-oriented deck than a tempo deck.

I've also been enjoying a single Clique in a Fire/Ice slot. So much so, in fact, that I'd like to add another one, most likely in place of one of the bounce spells (I can't see wanting to drop anything else). Only problem is I can't figure out which. Split second is great with all the U around, but the tempo gained by kicker-ing River just wins games.

Any suggestions?

Dec 2008
    Nijmegen

Oke some strange things are said here. Sower of Temptation better than Vendellion Clique in Tempo Threshold? Oke you're seriously mistaken.
    Vendellion Clique lets you play more tempo, because you can choose to play him as an instant. The thoughtseize effect is awesome for it lets you remove a removal spell (for example). Vendellion clique has flying which is pretty decent when there is a goyf-standstill. Don't forget that the power/toughness (3/1) is really great for a clock. It has CC 3 which means that it can resolve when an active counterbalance is on the table. There are so many things to be said that Vendellion Clique is so much better than sower of temptation (SORCERY SPEED).

I'm playing this list recently:

Mainboard

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    1 Vendellion Clique

4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Fire/Ice
    1 Rushing River

4 Ponder

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (probably something like this:)

4 Pyroblast
    4 Disrupt
    3 Submerge
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Pyroclasm

After playing dozen's of games with the deck for testing, 1 Vendellion Clique was awesome. I even wanted to play two, but it's just not right to play more of them since removing another card for it is not the way to go.
    I think that 9 creatures is the way to go with TT.
    Team Nijmegen

Robbert Slavenburg
    DCI: 2069307189

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    Clique doesn't generate tempo...

you don't boost your match by putting one card in the opponent's bottom and leting him to draw another card...

Sower is much morte TEMPO then that, and control at the same time...

or you can eve run venser...

and I know that 4 mana is an big issue for a tempo deck, but IMO it still much better...

i just think that caplan's list is our best choce atm....
    you can only change his sb by the meta....
    ty
    You cannot base all your card decisions on which cards are better at creating tempo.
    First of all Sower deifnnitely doesn't create alot of tempo. Tempo is being able to effectively (1-1) use your spells before your opponent can. Sower cannot do this, especially in a deck with 18 land, of which 4 are there to be sacced.
    Second of all, if you want to play tempo so badly, you'd probably be better off playing Shock instead of Fire//Ice, since it's cheaper and deals the same amout of damage. You don't, however, since there are other factors you need to consider. I run one Clique instead of bounce because I want an additional creature. I don't want to lose games due to playing loads of Stifles and Spell Snares, and then proceeding not to be able to win because I don't have a creature. Clique is best suited as far as I know, since it let's you keep mana open for Spell Snare, Bolt and occasionally Stifle. One of the very hardest decisions you will have to make playing this deck, is when to drop your Goyf. There will be times where you need to keep mana open, but you also need to have a clock to utilize tempo advantage you got. Clique allows you to play around this quite effectively, although at a pretty high cost.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

If im able to get 4 lands in to play and am not allready be winning then im dead. Clique is way better then sower.

If clique is better then the bounce spells/ fire ice . that is the question we should be asking.

I was thinking about building a temp thresh deck.

What does the black variant look like?

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    I was thinking about building a temp thresh deck.

What does the black variant look like?
    This
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

Thread Information