Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108
Results 2,141 to 2,148 of 2148

Thread: [Archetype] CounterTop

Re: [Archetype] CounterTop

Maëlig I like your list, but I have what I see would be a couple "upgrades". If you're going to play wasteland, Crucible seems like it's a must include to be able to recur wastelands in order to deal with Cavern of Souls and other problematic lands. Then you could cut a Tundra for an Academy Ruins. I'd go something like -1 Tundra, -1 Snapcaster, -1 E.Tutor, -1 E.E., -1 Counterspell for +1 Academy Ruins +1 Crucible of Worlds, +3 Ponder.

Jun 2012
    UK

I've been brewing up a UW Countertop shell with Entreat the Angels, Delver of Secrets, Geist of Saint Traft, Snapcaster Mage and Jace, the Mind Sculptor all as possible win cons, and I'm having a lot of fun with the build. With Cavern of Souls seeing more and more play Countertop isn't able to ride single threats to victory while keeping the board clear via Counterbalance and Sensei's Divining Top anymore. I believe the natural evolution for Countertop to take is to increase the threat count and remove the dependence of locking out your opponent for the entirety of the game, instead focusing more on tempo locking them out of the game (if that's the correct expression) with a win condition and the combo protecting it.

For reference my current list is:
    CREATURES
    4x Delver of Secrets
    2x Geist of Saint Traft
    2x Snapcaster Mage
    2x Vendilion Clique

ARTIFACTS/ENCHANTMENTS
    3x Counterbalance
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    1x Scroll Rack

SPELLS
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Counterspell
    2x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Entreat the Angels
    4x Force of Will
    2x Predict
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Terminus

PLAINSWALKERS
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor

LAND
    4x Flooded Strand
    2x Polluted Delta
    2x Misty Rainforest
    1x Karakas
    4x Tundra
    6x Island
    1x Plains

SIDEBOARD
    1x Pithing Needle
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Vedalken Shackles
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Back to Basics
    1x Circle of Protection: Red
    1x Moat
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Stifle
    1x Terminus
    Last edited by LEH; 06-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.

I know many of us have moved on to u/w/r counterbalance featuring terminus and entreat. Has the old countertop shell of creatures/removal/counterbalance+top been completely outclassed by miracles?

I miss the days of playing dark confidant and spinning top with counterbalance out. Currently I play miracles and I love the deck, but what I really love is the countertop engine.

Has anyone worked on any lists not featuring miracles lately? Maybe u/w/b, u/r/b, u/g/b?

Cards id like to see in a deck like this would be Confidant, goyf, young pyromancer, and deathrite shaman. (not all in the same deck obv)

I may just be trying to hang on to old memories and may have to move on from this archtype.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by tempothresh View Post
    I know many of us have moved on to u/w/r counterbalance featuring terminus and entreat. Has the old countertop shell of creatures/removal/counterbalance+top been completely outclassed by miracles?
    I miss the days of playing dark confidant and spinning top with counterbalance out. Currently I play miracles and I love the deck, but what I really love is the countertop engine.
    Has anyone worked on any lists not featuring miracles lately? Maybe u/w/b, u/r/b, u/g/b?
    Cards id like to see in a deck like this would be Confidant, goyf, young pyromancer, and deathrite shaman. (not all in the same deck obv)
    I may just be trying to hang on to old memories and may have to move on from this archtype.
    Well i have been pondering for a couple of weeks about a list with RUG countertop list incorperating Jace, TMX. PFire/grove, Dreadnought, etc., but i am not sure if it's valiable. A BUG list would be cool to. BUG Control lists are already heading in the right direction. Heres one of my drafts:

3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Lightning Bolt
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Trinket Mage
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Wasteland
    2 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Academy Ruins
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 Divert
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

The use of CounterTop + Liliana was just being discussed in the BUG Control/Team America (Midrange/Control) thread. I think it's an excellent idea, especially since Sylvan Library is so good I'm thinking about running a second copy. I think 4 Top/1 Sylvan could work very well in these shells.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by tempothresh View Post
    I played counterthopters recently, but I ended up siding out the combo for RIP/Helm instead. I doubt I'll ever leave UWx for countertop, but playing non-miracles was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

I tried jamming it in Esper Deathblade and BUG hoping to get some kind of positive results and unfortunately it just wasn't working. I can see it in maybe a bug control list more focused on the late game then the early game.

For now I will just focus on u/w/r with miracles. Sigh

I think this build hits the sweet spot for Counterbalance with the mana curve, and it offers a nice suite of spells to handle whatever my opponent throws at me. If I run up against a combo deck I can side in more control with Spell Snare and Echoing Truth, or if I get matched up against an aggro deck I can side in the PainterStone combo. Going against control is where it gets interesting, but I think this deck has enough options to still remain competitive. Also, running mono-blue allows me to effectively Wasteland my opponent's non-basics without setting myself back too much. I'll report back when I test it out against the competition, but for now here's the build...

Mainboard
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    4 Daze
    4 Counterspell
    4 Counterbalance
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Vedalken Shackles
    2 Vendilion Clique
    4 Cryptic Command
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will

Lands
    4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    8 Island

Sideboard:
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Echoing Truth
    4 Grindstone
    4 Painter’s Servant

Mana Curve:
    1 = 8
    2 = 12
    3 = 10
    4 = 6
    5 = 4
    Last edited by Thor Hammer; 07-21-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Thread Information