Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Lightning Bolt to be reprinted in M10

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Re: Lightning Bolt to be reprinted in M10

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
    I played when 4th was printed, so this flavor text really suits me personally.
    Yes, they reprinted the card just for you. Didn't you know? You're special.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Yes, they reprinted the card just for you. Didn't you know? You're special.
    Though that's probably not the case with Lightning Bolt, WotC does indeed print cards just for one person. But if you are not that person, it's easy to miss the reference.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    It's definitely a possibility. Between all the huge walls they've been printing lately and the return of Lightning Bolt, I'd say Wrath is probably on its way out.
    They just spoiled Planar Cleansing (3WWW, Destroy all non-land permanents), so that's another hint that Wrath may be out.

On the other side, it seems a really, really bad moment to take it off of Standard, given that creatures are at an all-time high in term of power level. But maybe Zendikar will tone that down a lot compared to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, and they think a couple months of aggro-fest is acceptable.

On a related note, I thought it was absurd to print Serra Angel while M10 has Baneslayer Angel at the same manacost with Flying, FS, Lifelink and Pro:Demons,Dragons. Then I realised that Baneslayer is a mythic while Serra is now uncommon. Nice.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

They're flavor re-booting the core set, and the name Wrath of God has always had some issues. It's been the only card that's always been in Standard and always been influential, so they probably really want to try some time without it. It's also the best possible time to take it out, when everyone's distracted by goings on with changes anyway. Lightning Bolt, Duress, etc., are probably just to get people to shut up about all the changes.

Although Lightning Bolt being reprinted still shocks me. (insert burn spell joke here). Incinerate was doing really well already.

Now let's see them reprint Hymn to Tourach.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Also, Baneslayer is a 5/5, where as, Serra Angel is a 4/4.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    Also, Baneslayer is a 5/5, where as, Serra Angel is a 4/4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    On a related note, I thought it was absurd to print Serra Angel while M10 has Baneslayer Angel at the same manacost with Flying, FS, Lifelink and Pro:Demons,Dragons. Then I realised that Baneslayer is a mythic while Serra is now uncommon. Nice.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

*sigh* I can't think of anything...

Nov 2006

This set, rule changes and all, just keeps getting worse...

Bogardan Shitkite as a mythic? Come on, there's only 50 better dragons (even with Dragonstorm, he's just win-more anyway over hasty goodness)...

Lightning Bolt as a common when you want to make as much money as possible (especially when people will want foils ASAP) and make Limited interesting so you can print and sell lots more of this set? I get the whole correct legality issue and I know that printing a copy of a major D&D spell is really nice, but this is really dumb.

What's next - choosing Blaze over Fireball (which was the most important spell in 1st ed. D&D)? Having all control AND combo decks disappear so that we're all forced to swing and play idiot-proof combat tricks (which is definitely where this set is heading)?

To be honest, I would rather be playing a format with interrupts again and combat damage going on the stack even if that meant we would see the next 15 sets being as bad as Prophecy...

* end rant *

Things always change, but some people in America have IQs higher than 100. This game is definitely heading down that really terrible path where things like FF7 and movies have gone down.
    WHAT? No, just no.

Dec 2008
    Waterloo, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    To be honest, I would rather be playing a format with interrupts again and combat damage going on the stack even if that meant we would see the next 15 sets being as bad as Prophecy...
    Hey hey hey....hold your tongue! Citadel of Pain + Chimeric Idol + Well of Life was the best combo evar!

Anyway..

I saw they spoiled Cancel and Negate...so do you think that means the axe on Counterspell getting printed? Its kind of odd that Bolt and Giant Growth made the cut but the odds are heavily against Wrath and Counter.

Bogardan Shitkite as a mythic? Come on, there's only 50 better dragons (even with Dragonstorm, he's just win-more anyway over hasty goodness)...
    Hellkite was played in Mana Ramp and UR Tron without Dragonstorm, only Kamigawa dragons saw similar amounts of play in recent memory.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

It being a mythinc is quite dumb, but the card is pretty powerful and has plenty of casual apeal. I don't see what's wrong with it. Also, I'm sure every EDh decks I have will take Helkite over 'Haste goodness' you talk about.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

*sigh* I can't think of anything...

Nov 2006

So Broodmate Dragon, Chameleon Colossus, Eternal Dragon, Dromar and Rakdos Pit Dragon mean nothing? I mean, I understand that he was run in a few decks, but he clearly wasn't run because he was a good card - for the most part, he fit one bill because there was no great dragon with haste.

The problem with the EDH argument is that everybody already has their dragons. Reprinting it, especially as a mythic, does very little good.

I believe that Wrath was said to be out.
    WHAT? No, just no.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

This set, rule changes and all, just keeps getting worse...

Lightning Bolt as a common when you want to make as much money as possible (especially when people will want foils ASAP) and make Limited interesting so you can print and sell lots more of this set? I get the whole correct legality issue and I know that printing a copy of a major D&D spell is really nice, but this is really dumb.

What's next - choosing Blaze over Fireball (which was the most important spell in 1st ed. D&D)? Having all control AND combo decks disappear so that we're all forced to swing and play idiot-proof combat tricks (which is definitely where this set is heading)?

* end rant *

Things always change, but some people in America have IQs higher than 100. This game is definitely heading down that really terrible path where things like FF7 and movies have gone down.
    It is really, really hard for a common to be played enough to become really valuable. Even at the height of say, Sakura-Tribe Elder's popularity in Block (when it was everywhere), it didn't cost a buck unless you were buying it from the house ten minutes before a GP.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    They just spoiled Planar Cleansing (3WWW, Destroy all non-land permanents), so that's another hint that Wrath may be out.
    A hint? That's basically flat-out telling there'll be no WoG in M10. But seriously, who cares, there's still WoG in Legacy. Why is this in format discussion again?
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

STARE AT AN ORPHAN ITS ENTIRE LIFE
    May 2008

So Broodmate Dragon, Chameleon Colossus, Eternal Dragon, Dromar and Rakdos Pit Dragon mean nothing?
    Hellkite is removal, sometimes acting as a 4-for 1 (flash in to block, kill 2 guys with the 5 damage, and now you've got a 5/5 beatstick). As for the options you gave, they are all a)multicolor or b) using a block mechanic. The only other dragon I could see in the mythic slot over Hellkite would be Rorix Bladewing, and he just doesn't seem as cool.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    It being a mythinc is quite dumb, but the card is pretty powerful and has plenty of casual apeal.
    The folks at Wizards have mentioned that sometimes they base rarities on a card's power in Limited formats. Bogardan Hellkite is retarded in Limited, which is probably why they made it mythic. Unless it got better art this time around (which I doubt; the TS art was pretty spiffy), I can't see that hurting the secondary market for it a whole lot. It should still only cost maybe five bucks, if that.

I would argue that him having flash actually makes him a hell of a lot better than him having haste. It's like Vine Dryad and FtK mashed together, and each of those cards is good on its own. Haste would make Hellkite a little-kid card; flash makes Hellkite a quality control card.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    It is really, really hard for a common to be played enough to become really valuable. Even at the height of say, Sakura-Tribe Elder's popularity in Block (when it was everywhere), it didn't cost a buck unless you were buying it from the house ten minutes before a GP.
    Blastoderm got really expensive and was near impossible to find during the Fires era Standard. Wild Mongrel was pretty hard to find for a time too. That's all I can think of tho'.

I don't think WoG will make it seeing as how Planar Cleansing was just spoiled. That doesn't really make much sense because all the Control tools, thus far, are about the same as they have always been. However, Aggro decks of all colors have received a huge influx of reprints/new cards to play with. A six mana Wrath effect is just tad too slow when your opponent is throwing fucking Bolts at your face.

What are they going to give Control?
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    A kick in the nuts!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Cancel? Over costed control spells?

WotC does not want the standard format to be heavily influenced by control decks like Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post

I will let the card speak for itself
    I don't like the art, but that flavor text is just awesome.

Thread Information