Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [EDH] Saffi Combosdotter

Re: [EDH] Saffi Combosdotter

Bumping because I put this deck back together and am actively playing it now.

Have you considered Melira (spelling?) as effectively another juniper order ranger

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Have you considered Melira (spelling?) as effectively another juniper order ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I also kind of want to add Melira for redundancy, but that card is so bad unless you're actively trying to kill someone with the persist loop.

Oct 2011
    Lancaster, PA

is your deck over 100 cards or is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by 2sided3angle View Post
    is your deck over 100 cards or is it me?
    No, it's 102. Hmm. Mom is not in the build currently, and I don't think Grasslands is either. I need to check when I get home. Thanks for pointing this out.

EDIT: Should be fixed now.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 11-15-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Double post!

I've updated the decklist to my current build. Dark Ascension didn't have anything of note for the deck, but Avacyn Restored has a number of potentially useful cards:

Emancipation Angel: I added Cloudstone Curio to the deck some months back to get more value out of my CiP guys before I went off, and having a 3/3 Curio that fits right into a Pod curve is useful. She's also Sun Titan-able, for what that's worth.

Somberwald Sage: Three mana out of one guy is quite a lot, even if it does come with a pretty severe restriction on how I can use it. She is also more Pod-able than Krosan Tusker was, and Krosan Tusker only stayed in the deck as long as it did because it drew me a card.

Restoration Angel: Similar to Emancipation Angel, but with the added upsides that four is a choke point in my Pod curve but lacks otherwise good options, and this card has flash and can therefore thwart targeted removal. I might swap out another creature to put Hierarch back in just because mass regeneration is occasionally useful, but it's not high on my list of priorities.

Past that, there's been a few minor changes over the past few months:

Cloudstone Curio: the deck has a lot of CiP abilities. In addition to allowing me to loop draw spells via recurring my walls/elves, I can also blow up lots of stuff with Slime, bounce my creatures with Angel, recycle with Sun Titan, tutor for lands with Prime Time, and so on. The card is quite good.

Altar of Dementia: Phyrexian Altar just wasn't cutting it as a card I cared about. My biggest fear with Altar of Dementia had been "the guy with the Eldrazi titans in his deck", but thankfully Eldrazi have become less popular as we've gotten farther away from Rise of the Eldrazi.

Orim's Chant: I would like Silence or Abeyance here, but I own neither and haven't bothered to trade for them yet. But it's worth noting that (a) Chant can fog someone in an emergency, (b) you don't often need to stop more than one player from casting spells, and (c) the judge promo artwork for Chant is sick.

My shortlist of things to consider:
    Sigarda, Host of Herons
    Silence
    Abeyance
    Ulvenwald Tracker
    Small Stoneforge Mystic package

You prefer Emancipation Angel over Kor Skyfisher because of the mana curve I assume? A couple of tricks from my own Saffi deck (less combo, more midrange aggro):

High Market
    Sometimes you just need to get rid of rector. When you get this from Primeval Titan together with Selesnya Sanctuary, you can bounce the market and use it right away. This also works particularly well with Gaea's Cradle.

Ancient Tomb, Mana Crypt
    I prefer both of these over Temple of the False God.

Yosei, the Morning Star
    Pretty obvious.

Natural Order -> Terastodon
    You only need to recur Terastodon a couple of times.

Auratouched Mage -> Pattern of Rebirth/Eldrazi Conscription
    More tutor power.

Mistmoon Griffin/Angel of Glory's Rise
    More ways to go infinite with module 3.

Demonmail Hauberk/Grafted Wargear
    Stoneforge mystic sacrifice package. I haven't actually put this in practice; it is probably too expensive and the last one only works with the first module. Maybe it supports the beatdown plan?

Angel works in the Pod curve, but now that I think about it, Skyfisher might be better for that. Skyfisher also triggers Mentor.

I like Market to sacrifice Rector. Cradle doesn't strike me as great because I haven't often had a ton of creatures in play since I cut Hermit Druid.

Angel of Glory's Rise strikes me as interesting. There are currently seven humans in the list, counting Saffi but not counting Rector (since she will almost never be in the graveyard). I'm not necessarily looking to boost the third module since it wasn't built into the deck intentionally - I only realized it worked like that after drawing Titan and Saffi one game and realizing I had the win with Station. I'm not sure how I feel about a seven-drop with a mediocre body and a potentially variable CiP ability, but I guess it's worth remembering. On the other hand, I did recently cut powerhouse Elesh Norn from the list for not doing enough, so maybe not.

I'm not sure how Mistmoon Griffin works here. It exiles itself when it dies.

I cut Terastodon a while ago for reasons I don't now remember. It was probably too expensive for what it did and I didn't have enough high-value Natural Order targets at the time. I still feel that's the case; my relevant combo cards are either white creatures or non-creature permanents, and NO doesn't find either.

I stay away from auras because they're not very good. Pattern of Rebirth in particular was kind of a trap because the conditions wherein it was good - one creature away from completing a combo module, low-value creature enchanted, no one playing targeted exiling removal - weren't often met, leaving me with an expensive tutor that could easily result in a two-for-one for the opponent. Conscription strikes me as being just generally worse than Swords of X and Y or Jitte.

Yosei also got cut, but I guess I could consider adding it back in. The Pod curve could probably use another high-end creature, but you want Yosei to die to tap down an opponent's lands to keep permission off your back, and Chant/Silence/Abeyance seem like better ways to engineer that. A 5/5 flying is decent on its own, but Sigarda gives you the same body for less mana and has built-in protection. I'd rather use her as a backup Voltron plan if I ever added a Stoneforge package.

I'm not sure how Mistmoon Griffin works here. It exiles itself when it dies.
    From rulings: You still put the top creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield even if this card is not in your graveyard when the triggered ability resolves. When you target this with Saffi, you can stack the abilities in such a way that the griffin won't be in your graveyard when it's ability resolves.

Yosei also got cut, but I guess I could consider adding it back in. The Pod curve could probably use another high-end creature, but you want Yosei to die to tap down an opponent's lands to keep permission off your back, and Chant/Silence/Abeyance seem like better ways to engineer that. A 5/5 flying is decent on its own, but Sigarda gives you the same body for less mana and has built-in protection. I'd rather use her as a backup Voltron plan if I ever added a Stoneforge package.
    My idea was to lock out an opponent completely by recurring it every turn; I guess it depends on the "metagame" (or multi- or singleplayer) if that is a good plan or not.

Are you still playing this list and if so are there updates? I suppose primeval could be Sylvan Primordial

I switched to Vig, but Primeval should be Dosan the Falling Leaf.

I know you mentioned Saffi was your go to competitive deck and vig was a lot more casual, but Saffi doesn't seem overly broken.
    Any reason for the switch?

Vig is not that much more casual, and Saffi is not actually that competitive when compared to actually competitive decks. If my goal was to go to a side event at a GP/SCG and farm packs, I'd probably run Oona Storm Combo or something.

I don't play my competitive decks often because of social dynamics and the fact that I like my Damia deck more. That said, Saffi has become boring lately because it's so straightforward: you find a combo module, you resolve it, you win. Vig, at least, has a period of the game where things are open-ended and you can fizzle, making it much more interesting.

Thread Information