Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Sideboard Cards] Anti-Merfolk, Anti-Progenitus

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

[Sideboard Cards] Anti-Merfolk, Anti-Progenitus

Just filling out the sideboard of a CT deck and wanted to get some feedback on strong sideboard cards that can play double-duty vs. Progenitus and Merfolk decks. After searching on Gatherer, the best I could find is Llawan, Cephalid Empress and Meekstone.

Vs. Merfolk, Llawan seems like a fucking beating. They either have the Daze or Force to stop it or kept you off the mana to play it, but it trumps their deck if you can stick it. Vs. Progenitus, well, you need to get it off before you're dead. Costs the same as Natural Order. Also, beats for 2.

Vs. Merfolk, Meekstone is infy easier to play than Llawan, but requires they have 1 or more lords (not unreasonable) and that you can catch them with their pants down. Problem is they can build up and alpha-strike if you can't put the game away. Vs. the big guy, you're still taking 10. Also, Grip. They're everywhere. On the other hand, Meekstone is useful vs. more opponents and can reasonably come in vs. other decks that aren't Merfolk.

So, Llawan seems like a good choice, given the above, though I thought I'd ask the community if I'm missing anything.

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Re: [Sideboard Cards] Anti-Merfolk, Anti-Progenitus

What colors are you running? Damnation or Wrath seem to be good options if you are in white or black.
    they haunt minds...

Firespout is generally good against Merfolk and the Elves! versions of Progenitus.

Feb 2007
    Worcester, MA

Dream Tides (4)
    Enchantment
    Creatures don't untap during their controllers' untap steps.

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player may choose any number of tapped nongreen creatures he or she controls and pay 2 for each creature chosen this way. If the player does, untap those creatures.

Should slow down merfolk, and will make progenitals only be able to attack once... Also stops goyf attacks... Affects you too though.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    What colors are you running? Damnation or Wrath seem to be good options if you are in white or black.
    UGW/r. WW is a bit much to ask, esp. in the face of Wasteland and/or Stifle since the mana is pulled in so many other directions.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

CoP: blue.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    UGW/r. WW is a bit much to ask, esp. in the face of Wasteland and/or Stifle since the mana is pulled in so many other directions.
    In my testing with rockout meekstone wasn't the correct answer he wanted to find. It didnt stop me from rolling him although it does nerf your dudes it still doesnt nerf the final swing.

Llawan in my testing has been excellent and your correct.

Bryant Cook

Vs. Merfolk, Llawan seems like a fucking beating. They either have the Daze or Force to stop it or kept you off the mana to play it, but it trumps their deck if you can stick it. Vs. Progenitus, well, you need to get it off before you're dead. Costs the same as Natural Order. Also, beats for 2.
    One problem with this is Aether Vial. Is he strong enough to combat 2-3 creatures with a vial in play?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    One problem with this is Aether Vial. Is he strong enough to combat 2-3 creatures with a vial in play?
    Shit. That's a really good point. Still, Llawan or not, an active Vial is going to suck, so it's sort of a wash.

Jun 2004
    Berlin, Germany

I think Llawan is female, as an aside. However, Vial or not, resolving her is still a huge tempo gain. Even with Vial in play -which won't enable your opponent to replay all creatures bounced because of the number of counter it carries- she buys time to find more solutions and enables you to deal with the fishies 1 for 1. I don't know whether she's worth the slot in the board, but her effect is nothing to be scoffed at.
    Conan, what is best in life? - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

I don't think you should be looking at this as a one card answer. The only answers (llawan and meekstone), are pretty weak, given that the cost of llawan is so high against a deck running daze force and cursecatcher. Most decks that run the natural order combo are trying to swarm you as well. So, I believe that a sweeper would be a better SB card, as it allows you to save a FoW for the natural order. I just don't think you should be looking for one card that answers both merfolk and progs.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

however if you had Llawan and Meekstone, heh heh? That should't be fun times for snake and boots folk players.

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

I played Llawan in BANT Survival and it was good enough against Merfolk and any Progenitus deck.

Against Merfolks, you just need to get rid of Vial and it's a great lock. Even if they have active vial, it slows them so much that you can actually recover. (Mostly that Vial will probably at 3 and It will be possible to put only 6-8 of their creatures in play with it (4x Reejerey and 'x' Wake T.)

P-M

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Riptide on a stick.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Llawan is fine and the amount an active Vial adds back is minimal as you should be beaucoup ahead (or at least have serious time to then catch back up). I have run Llawan in the side of both Faerie Stompy & Merfolk and been quite happy with her. Meekstone I haven't tried, but I'd want a deck running Academy Ruins and/or sweepers to backstop it as Grip is indeed everywhere (as it should be).
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

UGW/r.
    Radiant Kavu

The Courage Wolf
    Sep 2007
    Tucson, AZ

Teferi's Moat. Slow and costly and vulnerable to Grip though.

Meddling Mage is good for naming Natural Order. If they're playing Survival, this isn't the best option though since they usually pack Shriekmaw and REB in the side. Against that Mono Green Chalice/NO deck it'd be good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If you can cast something that takes RWG, and eats that much mana each turn, against Merfolk....

Also, doesn't solve the problem of them just getting lethal and Stifling the ability.
    [3. LocalDefense]: English is under attack!

Spore Frog recursion also works--to a certain extent.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

If you can sweep their board early enough, land a Tainted Aether for some lulz.

Thread Information