Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [live coverage] Gencon by ggslive

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Re: [live coverage] Gencon by ggslive

Sick, when will the top8 lists be posted?
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Jun 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevant View Post
    They keep spelling my last name wrong. It's ducommun. Congrats to everyone in the top 8. I lost to dredge on a mull to 5 in game three after he mulled to 4 in game 2.
    I guess there weren't 2 Devon Ducommun playing there, so you T8ed in both Vintage and Legacy? Mad props, man!
    Conan, what is best in life? - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Too Retarded to Live
    Mar 2009

Really great coverage too, I thought they did a great job recording the top 8 legacy games

Jul 2005
    St. Paul, MN

I agree. Online coverage was great!

For those Canadian Threshold players, curiously, what would have the matchup been like against that Ichorid deck. Did Ben Weinburg have any graveyard hate?

GO EARNEST WOOT!!!!!!!! for everyones info earnest was also the first person to place in a top 8 with dredge if you look way way way back, hes keepin it strong. Great job earnest, Ill have to buy you some taco bell on wednesday for your win.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by moxpearl View Post
    I agree. Online coverage was great!

For those Canadian Threshold players, curiously, what would have the matchup been like against that Ichorid deck. Did Ben Weinburg have any graveyard hate?
    He had no gy hate, his only board stuff that was relevent was 3 Pyroblast/Reb, and 3 Pyroclasm.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

As the Ichorid player i would have played this out...

Brad Herbig

Nice! Two friends in the top 8! Yeah Cincinnati crew!!

Luck sack

May 2008
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbold View Post
    I guess there weren't 2 Devon Ducommun playing there, so you T8ed in both Vintage and Legacy? Mad props, man!
    Thanks man, that was me I played B/U/G lists in both tourneys. Just wish I would have played better in the top 8s.

I'm really happy there was good coveragee this year. Last year I was the only one who posted the top eight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Public Service Announcement: To anyone considering taking a Burn deck to a tournament, let me tell you about this card they printed in Coldsnap. It’s called “Counterbalance” and the art looks fantastic in foil.

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

I ran my 75 from Chicago. It was a really tight semis, some very good games.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
    I ran my 75 from Chicago. It was a really tight semis, some very good games.
    Congrats on another nice finish Cappy!

You are totally ridiculous, how much money has that deck won for you?

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Congrats on another nice finish Cappy!

You are totally ridiculous, how much money has that deck won for you?
    A decent amount :P.

I watched the coverage this morning from my two matches, and they seemed pretty good at keeping up with the game. A few times they said things like "Why did he fetch before he Brainstormed? Did he forget?" when I had brainstormed the turn earlier and knew the top card of my library. They also made a big deal about me not double bolting the goyf without providing explanations about why I may have been holding back, but I guess they aren't very familiar with the deck.

I appreciate that ggslive (are they affiliated with Pastimes?) did some coverage on the event, because it didn't get any attention from Wizards this year. So I would like to thank Ray and Rashad for keeping the community updated and featuring the top 8. Also, for seeing my opponent dropping a 2nd land for turn and saying something. We had the head judge table judging, and even he didn't catch it. Everyone was really tired, it was a really long day.

A decent amount :P.

I watched the coverage this morning from my two matches, and they seemed pretty good at keeping up with the game. A few times they said things like "Why did he fetch before he Brainstormed? Did he forget?" when I had brainstormed the turn earlier and knew the top card of my library. They also made a big deal about me not double bolting the goyf without providing explanations about why I may have been holding back, but I guess they aren't very familiar with the deck.

I appreciate that ggslive (are they affiliated with Pastimes?) did some coverage on the event, because it didn't get any attention from Wizards this year. So I would like to thank Ray and Rashad for keeping the community updated and featuring the top 8.
    I haven't played canadian thresh much, so please pardon me if i'm missing the obvious, but why wouldnt you double bolt the goyf? What was your tactic?

Submerge? Goyf?

Looking forward to a tournament report :) (There will be one i hope :P)

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

The folks in the chat concluded that it's not worth the risk of being 2-for-1'd on the 2nd bolt, which the commentators did not pick up on.

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    The folks in the chat concluded that it's not worth the risk of being 2-for-1'd on the 2nd bolt, which the commentators did not pick up on.
    That was one of the reasons, probably the biggest. I also drew a reb (i think) on my turn, and waited the extra turn to try to get red to back up the bolts. I had lots of outs to his goyf left in my deck, and getting 2 for 1ed on the bolts when I had a few turns to draw an answer felt like the wrong play to me. I think if I had a do over, I would do the same again.

I am debating the report, I don't have life totals, notes or opponent's names, so that would kinda suck.

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    If you're talking about a FOW, then it's still going to be 2 for 2, since i'm pretty sure he had like 3-4 mana.

I appreciate that ggslive (are they affiliated with Pastimes?) did some coverage on the event, because it didn't get any attention from Wizards this year. So I would like to thank Ray and Rashad for keeping the community updated and featuring the top 8.
    ggslive is Rashad's baby. It's only affiliated with Pastimes as far as Rashad is affiliated with Pastimes.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by xfrt View Post
    If you're talking about a FOW, then it's still going to be 2 for 2, since i'm pretty sure he had like 3-4 mana.
    But then I loose my answer to goyf. The blue cards in his hand were the least of my worries at that point if he had a force for the bolt. The blue card he pitches to force will likely be irrelevant. Sure, strictly speaking its a 2 for 2, but keeping the goyf on the board is so much more valuable than the most useless blue card in his hand. If he forced the 2nd bolt, I was blown out of the game. I wanted to wait for a better answer, and when he dropped that Goose, I had no time left and had to try for it.

It was a really tough call for me to make, but it was what I felt was best. Either way, my only point was that there are reasons not to double bolt it, which the commentators didn't pick up on, but I guess the chat saw it.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Adan View Post
    Sick, when will the top8 lists be posted?
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Watching the Semis coverage right now, and loving the sarcasm of the commentary during the Ichorid matchup.

Thread Information