Thread: mystic crusader+coalition flag

Too Retarded to Live
    Mar 2009

mystic crusader+coalition flag

In a casual game I played a mystic crusader and equipped it with a coalition flag.

Mystic crusader has protection from red and black

Coalition flag forces my opponent to target mystic crusader before they target me

If my opponent who's playing a sligh deck has burn spells, he claims that since mystic crusader has pro red that he can't target it and therefore the spells must target me, but I'm arguing that pro red just makes his spells fizzle as they wouldn't have a legal target when he is forced by coalition flag to target my crusader. So who is right?

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Re: mystic crusader+coalition flag

Coalition Flag and other "Flagbearer" abilities make the opponent target a Flagbearer "if that spell or ability could target a Flagbearer on the battlefield". Because a red spell can't target a Flagbearer with protection from red, your opponent can choose the target freely.
    Level 2 Judge

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Re: mystic crusader+coalition flag

Coalition Flag
    Enchantment — Aura
    Enchant creature you control
    Enchanted creature is a Flagbearer.
    Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls is put onto the stack, if that spell or ability could target a Flagbearer on the battlefield but doesn't, that opponent changes one of its targets to a Flagbearer.

If you read the Coalition Flag it clearly states that it redirects the spell if that spell could target the flagbearer. A red spell cannot target a creature with protection from red. Therefore in this case the Coalition Flag does nothing to red spells and they are free to target you with them.

Thread Information