View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 89 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990919293991391895891089 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Sep 2007
    MN

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelq View Post
    Can you post the link? Any changes to vintage?
    Only modern got changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Basaka View Post
    Innistrad Block Constructed, Standard, Extended, Legacy, Vintage
    No changes

Modern
    Punishing Fire is banned.
    Wild Nacatl is banned.
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...y/feature/174a

May 2011
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by michaelq View Post
    Can you post the link? Any changes to vintage?
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...y/feature/174a

No changes to anything except Modern btw.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Looking at the results of this poll is like digging up a time capsule, and then going "Huh, that's what people were loving/hating back in that day..."

As for today's announcement, that feels right to me.

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

Seems fine. Not that I give a crap about Modern. What a boring format.

Still really want to see Survival come off the ban list though. I never minded playing against it, and I'd probably even sleeve it up myself for a bit. I don't see it doing anything more OP than what the current top decks are capable of right now, whatsoever.

Besides, maybe if Survival/Vengevine, Reanimator, AND Snapcaster are all good decks at the same time people would finally be willing to bring sufficient amounts of GY hate in their decks. ...Heh, probably not.

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Lol modern. EVERYTHING is banned. That format is a joke if I ever saw one. No way I play a PTQ in such a bullshit format.

About Legacy everything was said already. I think they know what is wrong in Legacy but can't ban Brainstorm because the players like the card so much which is okay and they don't want to admit that they fucked up in a new edition again with the Snappi and Delver duo which is not okay.

they haven't put creature onto the ban list for a long time.
    I suppose they think goyf is fairer than nacatl
    This makes me think if in the future DCI decided to ban something in Legacy they would ban snappy instead of brainstorm.

DCI might ban lightning bolt in modern next because it may be too fast for the format

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I wasn't really expecting anything to happen. They move slow in Legacy, if they can. Unless a single fairly narrow archetype starts dominating utterly, I wouldn't think anything would get axed before June.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    modern is turning into quite the joke. at this point they've come full circle, ban hammers fot every archtype. just start over ... ban top, skullclamp, emrakul, jitte and sfm. see what perkolates to the top.
    Why would you want that? Then Modern would edge into Legacy. I understand why players want to mock Wizards for making Modern deliberately low-powered, but it does keep Legacy a distinct format and give it a powerful pull that it might not have were the Modern banned list very bare-bones.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Looking at the results of this poll is like digging up a time capsule, and then going "Huh, that's what people were loving/hating back in that day..."

As for today's announcement, that feels right to me.
    To be fair, I still don't like SDT because it unnecessarily makes turns last 5 minutes. For time consideration, I'm still OK with it being chopped.

No complaints about today's updates. Glad to see that Legacy isn't the burning issue for R&D now that Modern is on their minds. Bad things happen when R&D has time to let their minds play games. (RIP Mystical Tutor)

EDIT: also, right on the money!
    Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    December 2011, Wild Nacatl banned for being too damn aggressive.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

March 2012, Aether Vial banned for cheating at Magic.
    They did mention Aether Vial in this announcement :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Omg! Koby i knew that our banning predictions will happen somedays but this one was better than Nostradamus! Kudos! It's just hilarious that Nacatl enters the Ban-list before LED....
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Did Wild Nacatl get banned in Legacy, or did Lion's Eye Diamond somehow get reprinted in a Modern-legal set?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Did Wild Nacatl get banned in Legacy, or did Lion's Eye Diamond somehow get reprinted in a Modern-legal set?
    Com'on ... Didn't you get the point or are you just wanna ruin the poínte? Nobody's talking Legacy/Modern, but the fact that a Vanille enters a Ban-list before something broken like LED in an Eternal format and Koby predicted Nacatl to be banned in Dec 2011 a year ago.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    they haven't put creature onto the ban list for a long time.
    I suppose they think goyf is fairer than nacatl
    This makes me think if in the future DCI decided to ban something in Legacy they would ban snappy instead of brainstorm.

DCI might ban lightning bolt in modern next because it may be too fast for the format
    Modern is a totally different format than Legacy though; Tarmogoyf would rarely get bigger than 4/5, and even that usually stretched it. Not many Sorceries were played in the format (the good cantrips were banned, Chain Lightning isn't legal, and a lot of Big Zoo standbys like Scapeshift are useless), so it was usually 3 power for 2 mana, as opposed to 3 for one. Besides, now the Zoo players can try Reckless Waif.
    As for the health of the format, Punishing Fire's banning makes some cards more playable, and will probably mean I can actually get a Grove for my EDH deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lauer
    A more subtle reason for the banning of Wild Nacatl is the development of future Magic sets.
    I think this might be cause for concern as to the herp-derpiness of the legacy format. The last thing Zoo needs is another 3 power for 1 mana or 4 for 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

nothing... that's sad... I understand it as no shift in thinking... there had to be an "unbanned" word seriously

I don't play modern and don't pretend to understand it at slightest, but these two and whole the modern banlist looks absurd in legacy point of view

Nov 2006
    Brasil

EDIT: also, right on the money!
    Fuck, does that mean the world is going to end Dec 2012?

But btw, you were talking about Legacy by that time =P

I like that they went slow with Legacy, and it was my bet that there would be no changes, even tho I wouldn't mind see Brainstorm going, and forcing people to play some other color combinations other than UGx or UWx
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Why would you want that? Then Modern would edge into Legacy. I understand why players want to mock Wizards for making Modern deliberately low-powered, but it does keep Legacy a distinct format and give it a powerful pull that it might not have were the Modern banned list very bare-bones.
    Because I want to use all my cards and standard is always awful. Modern would be an interesting in between if they'd give the damn thing 1/2 a year to just breathe instead of snap banning every card. At this point they've banned good cards in every archtype (aggro, combo, control) and they are back to square one. Reset the banned list, ban the cards that are both clearly better and would be ubiquitous in the format

Misstep
    Jitte
    SFM
    Skullclamp (lol)
    Depths (urborg, go. depths, mage. make cthulu is a little too much)
    Emrakul
    Splinter twin (stop beating around the bush wotc)

Maybe Jace for poor people, maybe shoal because of how poorly it interacts with poison and perhaps one of the Xposts. If the storm decks are really a problem then ban the only storm card in modern.

See what happens for 6 months. You'd have elves, zoo, control could actually dig a little and find their threads/wraths, you could build aggro blue/r/b brews because you could actually fix your lands.

This list has gotten absurd. They didn't even let anyone *try* to play a slow dredge deck. With SFM gone is thopter/sword that great? Can't you needle/pridemage/revoker/pulse/putrefy/10,000 red and green spell it? Then both cards are dead.

Ancestral Vision
    Ancient Den
    Bitterblossom
    Blazing Shoal
    Chrome Mox
    Cloudpost
    Dark Depths
    Dread Return
    Glimpse of Nature
    Golgari Grave-Troll
    Great Furnace
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Hypergenesis
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Mental Misstep
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Punishing Fire
    Rite of Flame
    Seat of the Synod
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Skullclamp
    Sword of the Meek
    Tree of Tales
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
    Vault of Whispers
    Wild Nacatl

That list is embarrassing.
    Last edited by nedleeds; 12-20-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Had we known Modern format would be created our predicted list would be different. I mean, com'n, how would we have known about Mental Misstep? I think it's pretty darn close for a guesstimate.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    An excellent point as long as you are of the mind that Modern should be defined and demarcated by what WotC has chiseled it out to be in their heads. In that sense, I agree with the bans.

However, I am not of that mind. I wish for Modern to supplant Legacy as a widely supported format, not Extended as it has (although, I suppose I would be fine with both). I wish for it to be a 'Legacy-lite', an Eternal format absent of the Reserve List and entry cost dilemmas that WotC can fully get behind and continuously support. My argument is flawed in that it relies on Modern being as good (or close to as good) a format as Legacy currently is, but assuming that it would be given my proposed changes [starting the format off at the creation of the stack with 6th Edition (with the first legal block being Masques block), legalization of key pre-6ED Legacy staples that are free of the Reserve List such as Force of Will and possibly others like Lotus Petal, Wasteland, etc. (assuming WotC would extensively test each individual candidate and determine whether or not they would harm the format's health), and an appropriate, lassiez-faire ban list], I think that it would be one half of an ideal model for the future of competitive Constructed Magic formats; Wizards would still have their cash cow Constructed format, the ever-rotating Standard, be their #1 and Modern be their #2, which could go along with a draftable annual or biannual paper Masters Edition-esque set with expensive Modern staples as Mythic Rares. Since this ban furthers along WotC's current philosophy of what Modern should be, a philosophy I don't like, I disagree with it.
    Last edited by KevinTrudeau; 12-20-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

We should start a poll and take votes on the next card that will get banned in Modern. Prizes for people that pick the next card correctly.

My vote goes to Goblin Guide. LOL @ modern. God forbid WotC UNBAN cards to make modern more interesting. Mark my words: RDW will become tier 1 from this recent banning.

Some Aether Vial deck might become tier 1 one. Depends on how fast the new tier 1 deck is.

Thread Information