View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632721225221022 ... LastLast

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: All B/R update speculation.

What are you talking about?
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Feb 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

It is? Oh shit! When?
    Team <spectacular

May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
    Entomb is not the problem, Iona is!
    Tinker isn't the problem, Inkwell Leviathan is, because it's so much better at having shroud and Islandwalk.

She is just soooo powerful against mono colored removal
    She also costs nine mana.

it really breaks the intention of the format.
    Was the intention of the format to play monocolored decks that can't do anything until turn 9?

It punishes people for playing fewer colors
    A nine mana creature doesn't punish anyone.

and give quick random wins
    Turn nine, really? That's not quick at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have you guys heard that the sky is falling?
    Yea, with the printing of fall, the sky is obviously too powerful, and will likely be banned in the next announcement. It is twisting the meta.

Lately, I've been thinking of how strong unbanned gush would be in the format. I'm sure we can safely say that most of Gush's power in vintage came from it's absurd interaction with Yawgmoth's Will and Fastbond. Say that if Gush was unbanned, correct me if I'm wrong, that some sort of Gush Tendrils deck wouldn't be viable due to the lack of aforementioned cards. I'm guessing that would leave Gro-a-Tog as the de facto best Gush deck. What would that do to the metagame, I wonder? You can reasonably assume the death of other Aggro-Control decks because GAT just does it better and faster. Also having a real draw engine is pretty nice as well. GAT also creates a very good check for Combo-ish decks.

Does anyone think that Gush would be overcentralizing? I think there are checks to Gush decks but is it enough? I'm not sure, but certainly an interesting thought exercise!

awesomeness
    Jul 2007
    Germany

Stasis would be running wild!
    Every DTB forum update is simply shuffling around the same ten decks.

Thankfully they printed stuff like Krosan Grip and Pyroblast, REB. In fact with an unbanned Gush I think REB and the like gain quite a bit.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Gush would certainly enable some Doomsday combo. I'm not sure if it would be degenerate, but it would probably be stronger than existing builds.

I highly doubt an unbanned Gush would bring anything healthy to the format. Things would warp even more toward Blue, likely Ur for the aforementioned blasts. After the madness of unrestricting/re-restricting it in Vintage, I don't see Gush ever getting unbanned.
    Last edited by whienot; 05-06-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

We don't have Fastbond to abuse it with, although I do agree that it would enable Doomsday like crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

May 2008
    Iowa

At one point in time I actually forgot that Gush wasn't legal in this format, and I threw together a UGw thresh list with Gush in it. It is, in fact, the nut high. This was pre-warmonk so I was running something like 4 Q-dryad, 4 Goyf and 2 mongoose as my creature base, and the card advantage the deck got was so impossibly good that I ended up running misdirection because I had no problems with 6+ pitch spells. The gush-thresh deck is absolutely nutsy, and if gush was unbanned it would easily warp the format. I only got as far as testing it against a combo deck and a few elgin-ish control decks before myself and my friend realized gush was banned, but in all the games we played I might have lost two. I was actually really excited to see gush play against wastelands as well, but I figured out my mistake before we started testing against tempo decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryPheldagrif
    The important thing is to always, always remember that while Brainstorm may require the tea-sipping socialite to think for 15 minutes as to the ideal configuration to optimize his carefully calculated 10 trillion branched decision tree of splendid victory, JUGGERNAUT ATTACKS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

Tee hee. I forgot about the use of Doomsday. Gush would be nutty as heck in that deck.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    I highly doubt an unbanned Gush would bring anything healthy to the format.
    This. The card basically says "Add U/G/B/R/W to your mana pool : Draw two cards."

Anybody who thinks that's a reasonable card in Legacy is a nutjob.

Hold on a second: is anyone seriously considering G-U-S-H?

Gush?

Gush!?

No, just leave it be. Gush would be so degenerate in any blue deck... it was unrestricted in Vintage for a short while, which resulted in idiotic Gro-A-Tog aggro nonsense decks to rampaging the meta, curb stomping the shit out of anything that pissed in it's cheerios that morning. Making Gush legal in this format would be like making Flash legal in this format.

No, just no.

Unban Grim Monolith, Mind Twist, stuff like that. Those cards deserve to be unbanned.

Leave Gush the hell alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Hold on a second: is anyone seriously considering G-U-S-H?

Gush?

Gush!?

No, just leave it be. Gush would be so degenerate in any blue deck... it was unrestricted in Vintage for a short while, which resulted in idiotic Gro-A-Tog aggro nonsense decks to rampaging the meta, curb stomping the shit out of anything that pissed in it's cheerios that morning. Making Gush legal in this format would be like making Flash legal in this format.

No, just no.

Mmm, Psychatog. And Mongrel. I wouldn't mind some of that action, although I guess we'd have to go way back for it. I certainly agree that Gush is most likely unsafe to unban.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    This. The card basically says "Add U/G/B/R/W to your mana pool : Draw two cards."

Anybody who thinks that's a reasonable card in Legacy is a nutjob.
    It's just a "what if" secenario, I obviously wasn't making a case for unbanning it. I mean we can talk about unbanning Land Tax all day long but, honestly, that's not even a discussion. It's just boring.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    Unban Grim Monolith, Mind Twist, stuff like that. Those cards deserve to be unbanned.

Leave Gush the hell alone.
    This reminds me, I stopped by a local store a couple days ago and they were selling a Grim Monolith for $30. What a deal!

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    This reminds me, I stopped by a local store a couple days ago and they were selling a Grim Monolith for $30. What a deal!
    Think they'll buy them for 20 then? I got 9 collecting dust.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Seriously, how dangerous is Grim Monolith? Combo has gotten much faster since the days of Power Artifact, and Stax looks like the only deck that could even use it.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Grim Monolith is pretty benign. It's decent accel for Stax based decks but doesn't solve any problems that plague the deck.

Thread Information