View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 59 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263691091595591059 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Please don't ban Ponder in Modern. I need it in Ideal.dec
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Looks like Misstep is 99% certain to be banned

Forsythe: "... it's just way worse than we thought for that format, and I imagine we're gonna talk about banning it when the next thing (ban update) comes around..."

It's nice to know they are just good-hearted fools rather than evil geniuses when it comes to designing cards for Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by kikoo View Post

Forsythe: "... it's just way worse than we thought for that format, and I imagine we're gonna talk about banning it when the next thing (ban update) comes around..."

It's nice to know they are just good-hearted fools rather than evil geniuses when it comes to designing cards for Legacy.
    source link, if possible?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

So what day it is on this time anyway? Last three years have been on the 18th, 20th, and 1st. It's a tad confusing.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    source link, if possible?
    http://www.channelfireball.com/home/...o-tour-philly/

At about 11:08

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by kikoo View Post

This imho sucks a lot. Format still haven't adapted at all to it. We've seen how new decks like hivemind can thrive in a heavy MM meta, and i believe there's still something new to be seen from the likes of Loam decks and such.

*crossing fingers*

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Yes! I can play (insert pet-deck name) again!

Personally, I am happy with this. The golden age of Legacy was post-Survival, pre-MM days. There was variety in the top 8.

Now, SCG Legacy opens looks like the Standard open, the same 5 decks that have the same 20 cards.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    So what day it is on this time anyway? Last three years have been on the 18th, 20th, and 1st. It's a tad confusing.
    Should be on the 20th.

That arcticle from Brian DeMars expressed my same exact sentiments about what i feel on the MM-Brainstorm-Blue issue of Legacy:

People believe they are losing to Mental Misstep or that everything was fine and fair up until Mental Misstep came along—when in reality they've really just been losing to Brainstorm all along. Sure, Mental Misstep is a really powerful card—especially when one draws it in their opening hand and casts it on the draw, but what about the times when a player draws two Mental Missteps late in the game when they are not very good and then simply uses Brainstorm to gas up and trade those blanks for more useful spells?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Oh, c'mon, the format will adapt, 80% of the tops is not a big number, FoW is stronger, blabla...

Can we ban it now?
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Yes! I can play (insert pet-deck name) again!

Personally, I am happy with this. The golden age of Legacy was post-Survival, pre-MM days. There was variety in the top 8.

Now, SCG Legacy opens looks like the Standard open, the same 5 decks that have the same 20 cards.
    I Agree.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    Oh, c'mon, the format will adapt, 80% of the tops is not a big number, FoW is stronger, blabla...

Can we ban it now?
    FoW has been played a lot for years and never was an issue. Granted, Misstep is worse because it's card parity, but it's still an asnwer cards and i think answer cards should never get banned unless it's called trinisphere in a format with moxen and Workshop (Trini was pro-active where counters are reactive however).

Nov 2006
    Brasil

For the record, I was talking about banning misstep, not FoW.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    If you don't buy his argument, you'll have to provide actual explanation for the fact that with such a pretty bad FoW, and with no fast combo deck in the meta, everybody and his dog in the Top 16 runs FoW except the deck that casts no spells, and the lone Zoo deck that uses Mental Misstep in its place, because I've been heard the bullshit that people wouldn't play FoW in that scenario countless times, and it would be nice if for once your opinions supported the data and could at least explain it instead of outright contradicting it.
    It's an easy explanation, actually, but I don't expect you to accept it. Legacy is still one of the most wide open, unpredictable formats. In any given tournament you can expect to face any one of over 20 or 30 completely different decks.

The bottom line is that FoW is a catch-all answer to randomness. It's there when you need it. Even though it's card disadvantage, it might save you from losing to something you don't have a maindecked answer to. Again, that's why people frequently side it out in games 2 and 3.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

A card as ubiquitous as Mental Misstep probably deserves a ban on principal. It's not a question of seeing if the format can deal; it's a card that everyone's running or could run, without changing their manabase at all. It's Skullclamp 2.0. It's fucking everywhere.

Even talking about it from a theoretical standpoint, what 'tech' is there to adjust to such a spell, exactly? And if it's out there, why in the name of Samuel L Jackson isn't it working? As far as we can tell, the best answer to Mental Misstep is Mental Misstep. That in and of itself should be a clue that it's bad for a format. A free counterspell that everyone can run just by removing their worst 4 cards, that people will be tempted to run just so they can answer it when the opponent plays it. That's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Even talking about it from a theoretical standpoint, what 'tech' is there to adjust to such a spell, exactly?
    Great Sable Stag.

Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I like the effect it's had on the pace of the metagame, but MM does seem overly ubiquitous. Of course if it's banned then something else from Permanent Waves will have to go because that deck's going to be insane again.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

If they seriously consider to ban misstep we timewalk back to post-Survival aka Zoo/meerfolk vs. Countertop.

They printed misstep to give all colors a counter for critical Turn 1 plays then ban it because their favourite pet-deck plays could be answered, I open call for MaRo's and LaPille's heads! Printing overpowered chase-cards without testing and Ban them 3-6 months later is Yu-Gi-Oh-Style.

Dumb printings like the double-faced cards and B&R-mismanagement (gentlemans agreement and other shit) made them both unacceptable. Banning Misstep would be overkill in being unable to do that's right

P.S. People preordering Snapcaster mage for that sick interaction with misstep will be fucked
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

I hope that Aaron Forsythe means and does what he says. I would be absolutely thrilled if MM gets the deserved axe and the format can breathe again.

And to those of you guys unhappy if and when MM does get the chop, consider the ridiculous interaction between Misstep and the upcoming Snapcaster Mage. Fun times. Also, it's funny how Brainstorm is supposedly the problem when there are more answers to it than ever since MM. Nobody ever really complained about it Pre-Misstep either.
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Snapcaster will still be great as a value card in control decks, even without Misstep. I think people are more excited about reusing Brainstorm, StP, Lightning Bolt, etc.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    P.S. People preordering Snapcaster mage for that sick interaction with misstep will be fucked
    Read: you.

Only reason I'd be sad to see Misstep go is because it gives Zoo a chance against combo. And because it doesn't actually address the problem of blue's dominance in this format at all. But short of a ban on Brainstorm, I think that's always going to be the case.

Thread Information