View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 657 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1575576076476536546556566576586596606616677077571157 ... LastLast
Results 13,121 to 13,140 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    This. Especially given that the ability to aggregate and disseminate decklists will only increase, most of the "home-brew" aspect of this format will slowly go away regardless of whether Brainstorm is in the format or not.
    Y'all have short memories. I mean, it wasn't THAT long ago that we had top eights with eight different decks and only 50% Brainstorm penetration.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    If you want to see a lot of original decks, perhaps competitive legacy isn't the best choice. The card pool is well-known and changes slowly.
    People are starting to brew with Field of Dreams. There's still space that hasn't been explored. Banning Brainstorm lets many more creative options become viable.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    People are starting to brew with Field of Dreams. There's still space that hasn't been explored. Banning Brainstorm lets many more creative options become viable.
    And makes so many decks unviable.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Y'all have short memories. I mean, it wasn't THAT long ago that we had top eights with eight different decks and only 50% Brainstorm penetration.
    It turns out when you print really good cards for an archetype over and over a lot more people play that archetype. Spell Pierce > sfm > delver + snapcaster > DRS young pyromancer > treasure cruise + dig through time. Really strong, splashable, efficient creatures and spells (most demanding being UU), some even on color (remember when having a high enough blue card count to be able to use fow effectively was a thing?). These cards put the cantrip cartel into the defacto engine in legacy, with threats as efficient as the ones we have now it is just a matter of taking the cantrip counter package and filling the blanks with any of the above to make a t1 deck. They may all have different names and color combinations but they are all the same deck, and last time I checked they were roughly a third of the meta. Consider that survival got the axe when survival decks were around 20% of the meta.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    You seem to be of the 'there should be sufficiently clear criteria for B/R changes that the community in any format can look at tournament results and determine what cards (if any) will be banned in an upcoming announcement with a high degree of certianty' school of thought. I think this approach is problematic for a variety of reasons...
    ...Having to hold to rigid criteria also presents problems when dealing with cards that hurt people's play experience much more quickly than they cause large noticeable metagame shifts as is the case with Dig.
    I'm becoming more sympathetic towards players who think the cantrip package is too strong/versatile. That said, I am extremely apprehensive about banning cards to enhance "people's play experiences". Market research has show that draw/go, prison lock, and fast combo decks have an adverse effect on people's play experience. This is why Modem has the turn four rule (which results in banned cards which do not threaten the strategic balance). This why these styles don't exist in Standard.

Even within the Legacy community there is a sentiment that aggro and aggro control decks are the heart of the game while other strategies are more novelty. You may have heard the complaint that if you don't play blue you have to play prison or combo? I've never heard anyone complain that if you don't play blue you're forced to play midrange or aggro - and this was largely true in Maverick's heyday.

I would hate for WotC/DCI to start banning cards in Legacy based on what they think meets their criteria for "fun".

It's possible to say that Dig violates a key rule of the format and should be banned as a result, but Dig's efficiency is very difficult to know a priori and then we'rre right back to the issue of having to generate data from tournaments (since its efficiency is, to a first approximation, proportional to how powerful a strategy chaining cantrips is and that's dependent on bunch of factors).
    When Legacy was founded, OP card draw and tutors where banned by a "key rule" (there was no data, as the format was new). DTT could be banned for this reason.

If they ban BS (and possibly Ponder), I wold like them to announce that they have reassessed Legacy and feel that top tier filtering cantrips are too good/efficient; and have this be a new key rule for banning. Or they could take the angle that while 100% colour equilibrium is not a realistic goal, Legacy has reached a threshold where blue needs to be reigned in just a little.

Finally, being tied to objective criteria and unambiguous rules for B/R changes poses serious problems for format stewardship in Legacy and Vintage. Tournaments tend to be both rarer and smaller than for Modern and Standard and the monetary costs of large metagame shifts are much larger if people don't have access to the entire cardpool, so a significant fraction of the player base for Legacy and Vintage can find themselves locked out of the top tier for however long it takes for them to buy and trade for the pieces they need, and there's a chance that many people who aren't already substantially invested in the formats will just cash out or deepen their Modern/EDH collections rather than buying the additional Legacy/Vintage staple needed for their new top tier decks.
    Unfortunately thanks to the reserve list this is only going to get worse over time. (On the upside the entry barrier keeps out a lot of newer players who would be attracted to the high power level but would ultimately demand WotC act to make the format more "fun).

But meta shifts will always be a problem in a format where a large amount of the player base can't afford to switch decks. I'm don't think this justifies banning cards because there has been a major change in the meta! But it does make a good case for WotC more actively supporting archetypes with no duals in the mana base - and to try to keep all ten duals closer in usefulness. This is a good argument for making colour balance more of a priority than it has been in the past (though I maintain that total equilibrium should never be the goal of the banned list).

It would also help if players would broaden their horizons. I suspect Aggro Loam (with Chalice) is better positioned than its numbers reflect, and that Maverick/Junk players are shunning the deck almost out of spite (they shouldn't have to run Chalice). Elves is another deck that does well compared to its meta-penetration (based on what limited data we have for it), and would probably do better if more players where to push it (and learn to play it well - it's a very tricky deck). MUD is also neglected IMO due to being a less popular style and the helpless feeling which comes with its losses. Merfolk is on the rise, and hopefully continues to thrive. Lands is a powerhouse - and despite the Tabernacle (of which there are many copies available online, including cheaper Italian versions) it is almost a budget deck compared to decks running a bunch of island-duals.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Please Legacy needs a change. Ban Terminus, SDT, and Show and tell. The first destroys ALL control and ALL creature decks and the second are a JOKE. Without this cards People could play other decks than Delver decks or ultrahate creature decks.

Metagame is: Delver, s&t and miracles, other decks are rogue.

And DTT is the next in banned list probably.

Quote Originally Posted by atopebenidorm View Post
    Grixis control is doing well, as is Storm. Lands is a beast, and Merfolk is picking up a lot of steam. Calling these decks rogue is misinformed.

Also, rogue decks (actual rogue decks) still make up a significant portion of the meta and top brackets. It's wrong to dismiss them.

DTT can (and should) probably go, but I can't agree with banning S&T, Terminus, or SDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Grixis control is doing well, as is Storm. Lands is a beast, and Merfolk is picking up a lot of steam. Calling these decks rogue is misinformed.

Also, rogue decks (actual rogue decks) still make up a significant portion of the meta and top brackets. It's wrong to dismiss them.

DTT can (and should) probably go, but I can't agree with banning S&T, Terminus, or SDT.
    Ok. 6 of 8 decks on top8´s are Delver, Show and tell or Miracle control. 2 of 8 are fast combos and hate decks.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Ok. 6 of 8 decks on top8´s are Delver, Show and tell or Miracle control. 2 of 8 are fast combos and hate decks.
    There are two cards that are 4-ofs in all of those decks. I don't think Show and Tell, Top, or Terminus are the issue.

Where are you getting these numbers? Goldfish records the following:
    • Miracles - 12.39%
    • Omnitel - 7.08%
    • Grixis Delver - 13.27%
    • Team America - 4.42%
    • U/R Delver - 1.77%

How are you getting these decks to total 75% of the meta?

Last major event (SCG Premier IQ Somerset) had one Miracles deck, one Delver deck, and zero S&T.

Do you have any data to support your (seemingly wild) claim?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

It does not matter if his statistics are accurate or not. One thing we can all agree upon is that cantrips fuel 3/4 of all top placing decks in Legacy, and that this percentage has been slowly rising for years. Cantrips enable those other cards and lots of others to do their thing consistently which is the reason why so many decks use them.
    Full stop.

With that undisputed knowledge, a ban of Terminus, Show and Tell, or anything that is not a card-carrying member of the cantrip cartel is like trying to prevent E. coli to toddlers playing in a sewer by distributing antibiotic pills and telling them not to bother washing the shit off their hands.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    I'm becoming more sympathetic towards players who think the cantrip package is too strong/versatile . . . It would also help if players would broaden their horizons. I suspect Aggro Loam (with Chalice) is better positioned than its numbers reflect, and that Maverick/Junk players are shunning the deck almost out of spite (they shouldn't have to run Chalice). Elves is another deck that does well compared to its meta-penetration (based on what limited data we have for it), and would probably do better if more players where to push it (and learn to play it well - it's a very tricky deck). MUD is also neglected IMO due to being a less popular style and the helpless feeling which comes with its losses. Merfolk is on the rise, and hopefully continues to thrive. Lands is a powerhouse - and despite the Tabernacle (of which there are many copies available online, including cheaper Italian versions) it is almost a budget deck compared to decks running a bunch of island-duals.
    Why be sympathetic? There are absolutely lots of viable options available to players who, for whatever reason, don't want to run U or cantrips. It's standard anti-Brainstorm dogma to say that the cantrip cartel locks out non-U strategies, but if people would just play any of the decks you've listed (or some others), they'd see that's not the case.

There's a quote in Admiral Arzar's signature pertaining to this. It's being used there as an argument against Brainstorm, as it's assuming that if you do play non-Brainstorm decks you're sacrificing your power for fun. In actuality, you can play those decks, have fun, and win. Hell, even Burn isn't horribly positioned right now!

Please Legacy needs a change. Ban Terminus, SDT, and Show and tell. The first destroys ALL control and ALL creature decks and the second are a JOKE. Without this cards People could play other decks than Delver decks or ultrahate creature decks.

And DTT is the next in banned list probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    There are two cards that are 4-ofs in all of those decks. I don't think Show and Tell, Top, or Terminus are the issue.
    Why not just ban U fetches and duals? They're enabling Delver, Miracles, SnT, etc to splash all the options available in the game. They also represent ~50% of the meta. [Note: I understand why this isn't a valid argument, but it feels very similar to the argument against cantrips. It's saying that "I don't like what U can do, so its tools should be banned."]

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Why be sympathetic? There are absolutely lots of viable options available to players who, for whatever reason, don't want to run U or cantrips.
    Is wanting to win a good enough reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    It does not matter if his statistics are accurate or not.
    Actually, I think it does.

Cantrips enable those other cards and lots of others to do their thing consistently which is the reason why so many decks use them.
    Well, duh.

Consistency is great for the game, because it reduces luck, and enables new combos, and synergies. We should ask for more consistency across all colors, not less by banning the best (admittedly blue) consistency tools.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    Consistency is great for the game, because it reduces luck, and enables new combos, and synergies. We should ask for more consistency across all colors, not less by banning the best (admittedly blue) consistency tools.
    We all know this is a pipe dream. Wizards current philosophy kills this hope outright. You can ask, but I will put down good money on the answer being "See that door, yea, use it."
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    Is wanting to win a good enough reason?
    No, it's not. Everyone wants to win, but no one is entitled to win. Depending on your perspective, you need to either play well enough to win, or use a deck that will win for you.

There isn't a lack of options of decks that can win if played well enough. If you don't believe that, I'd recommend either playing one of the decks you think can win or changing your mindset.
    Last edited by Stuart; 09-25-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammars

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Why be sympathetic? There are absolutely lots of viable options available to players who, for whatever reason, don't want to run U or cantrips. It's standard anti-Brainstorm dogma to say that the cantrip cartel locks out non-U strategies, but if people would just play any of the decks you've listed (or some others), they'd see that's not the case.

There's a quote in Admiral Arzar's signature pertaining to this. It's being used there as an argument against Brainstorm, as it's assuming that if you do play non-Brainstorm decks you're sacrificing your power for fun. In actuality, you can play those decks, have fun, and win. Hell, even Burn isn't horribly positioned right now!
    No, there's one. Our own DTB forum has one tier-one non-blue deck. In the current meta, you are handicapping yourself playing anything else and the numbers back it up.

That quote by maharis was incredibly prescient. Imagine if suddenly the next GP (a la the Dota international) had a multimillion dollar prize pool. The meta would likely be over 90% blue, if not close to 100%. There are plenty of people out there who don't play blue because they don't enjoy it. But when you get down to brass tacks, playing it gives you the best chance to win if real money is on the line. And Burn? Are you joking?
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    Well, duh.
    Please do not mock me when I explain simple ideas. Some people need to be told that which should be obvious.
    Like this:
    If additional consistency is a universal good why not let us all just select our opening 7 and then dictate which card we draw each turn? There is in fact a balance to be struck.

See, in this case a person clearly does not understand the simplest of game mechanics. So I am giving this person an education on the topic so that we can have a meaningful discu...

Oh, wait...it's you.
    Oh, my.

To be clear, we want the field leveled. Right now it is certainly not which is the reason people are opting for blue in such high percentages - around 75-80%. The numbers have backed that up for a long time. There is no dispute on this subject. Whether one person shows us questionable stats on this topic or not, the facts remain because there is just so much data already.
    Also, Stuart, I can not piece together what you are trying to say. Are you claiming that there are plenty of nonblue decks that can win consistently?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2011
    Czech Republic

Hey DTT you scared, bruh? You should be

I'm not really seeing anything else getting banned. Are Wizards brave enough to pull an unban lever? I hope.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    No, there's one. Our own DTB forum has one tier-one non-blue deck. In the current meta, you are handicapping yourself playing anything else and the numbers back it up.

That quote by maharis was incredibly prescient. Imagine if suddenly the next GP (a la the Dota international) had a multimillion dollar prize pool. The meta would likely be over 90% blue, if not close to 100%. There are plenty of people out there who don't play blue because they don't enjoy it. But when you get down to brass tacks, playing it gives you the best chance to win if real money is on the line. And Burn? Are you joking?
    That's a fine perspective to take. Personally, I'm not crazy about data and much prefer personal experience (though that does open me up to the whole "anecdotal" accusation). My experience via a variety of shops and tournaments is that the numbers don't follow our DTB, MtgGoldfish's meta breakdown, etc. People are playing and winning/losing with a wide variety of decks. I fully understand and believe that at the top tables at the biggest tournaments we're seeing a huge concentration of cantrip decks. However, B/R decisions effect local metas too, where I haven't found cantrips to be so problematic.

Likewise, it's possible that in a multimillion dollar tournament you'd see all blue. However 1) that tournament probably will never exist, and 2) as is, it seems silly to be playing this game for the money.

And yeah, I feel like Burn's positioned decently Of the DTB, I'd say it's got a fair-to-good matchup against most Delver variants and Lands. Miracles isn't the worst, either. Omni and ANT seem like the tough ones. But I could be totally off base there.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Also, Stuart, I can not piece together what you are trying to say. Are you claiming that there are plenty of nonblue decks that can win consistently?
    Sorry if I was unclear. That's basically it. I'm saying you don't have to play Blue to win, and that regardless of what deck you play, it's not really productive or smart to expect to win. You need to either play the best you can, change your deck/approach, or be comfortable with not winning consistently.

Thread Information