View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 661 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1615616116516576586596606616626636646656717117611161 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,220 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    No, brainstorm does not just 'get better over time.' What cards have been introduced to make brainstorm better?
    Griselbrand, Omniscience, etc...

If you're wondering how a dedicated two-card-combo can be tier one competitive without any Tutor effects, cantrips (like Brainstorm) are the answer.

bruizar

No, brainstorm does not just 'get better over time.' What cards have been introduced to make brainstorm better?
    Good cards.

Consider 56 island+4 brainstorm.dec versus goodstuff.dec. Which deck will resolve the more powerful Brainstorm? Brainstorm is as strong as the cards it draws.
    • Stronger cards = better Brainstorm
    • Power creep is inevitable as long as Wizards plans to sell boosters

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Brainstorm does get better over time.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Deathrite isn't close to a survival answer. Try it. Just try using deathrite shaman to win the game versus survival decks I dare you. Survival only gets better over time, which is partially why it was banned in the first place. It's hard to take you seriously when you didn't say to unban mind twist either because the card is shit.
    Survival don't actually get better over time. The reason is simple, cards that are good vs survival (enchantment, triggered ability, discard, graveyard interaction etc...) are printed more often than cards that are good IN survival decks. Survival creatures need to have some sort of built-in recursion a-la vengevine else survival is just a slow card that fuel T2 decks like it was BEFORE vengevine was printed (Tools and Tubbies anyone? Best deck). Meanwhile, since Vengevine was printed, the following cards that are good AGAINST survival or in deck that are NOT survival were printed:

- Abrupt Decay (maindeckable enchantment removal)
    - Delver (anti-sinergy with Survival and can race or block Vengevine)
    - Prowess creatures in general (anti-sinergy with survival), Pyromancer
    - DRS (maindeckable grave removal)
    - RiP (strongest grave hate)
    - Revoker (maindeckable needle)
    - Terminus (W remove three vengevines)
    - Snapcaster (combined with Swords)
    - Bojuka Bog (land deck in general)

In general, Survival power level was too good for 2010's Legacy. Since then, not many new actually good survival cards were printed, other decks got exponentially better, and many cards that are actually good vs survival were printed and maindeckable. Survival also work against the dominant strategy of the format of playing 20+ spells because you actually need a significant amount of creatures (20+) to ensure being able to cycle, or it become a dead card.

Unless wotc print a creature that read like :

Emrakul , reborn 15
    Cretaure .adshashah
    Annihilator 5
    Madness: 0
    12/12

Survival won't ever be broken again in a format that is dominated by cheap answers and fast clocks because it's just too slow now. Also, do you know what actually got more broken since 2010? Show and Tell. The card got legitemately bomb after bomb after bomb printed, and it's not far the day where they just print an even better omniscience and break the card completely. But somehow, survival, which sin was to enable 4/3 with haste is too much for the format and will "always" get better whenever they print strictly better vengevines, aka never.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Good cards.

Consider 56 island+4 brainstorm.dec versus goodstuff.dec. Which deck will resolve the more powerful Brainstorm? Brainstorm is as strong as the cards it draws.
    • Stronger cards = better Brainstorm
    • Power creep is inevitable as long as Wizards plans to sell boosters
    Brainstorm itself does have slight negative tempo. Of course, as soon as BS makes you hit an extra land drop, that's been offset.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Survival don't actually get better over time. The reason is simple, cards that are good vs survival (enchantment, triggered ability, discard, graveyard interaction etc...) are printed more often than cards that are good IN survival decks.
    Who are you trying to kidding here? More than 70% of cards WotC prints are creatures, ergo the options for Survival get more diverse automatically.

Survival creatures need to have some sort of built-in recursion a-la vengevine else survival is just a slow card that fuel T2 decks like it was BEFORE vengevine was printed (Tools and Tubbies anyone? Best deck).
    No, they just simply need to be good enough to push your opponent against the wall. We hav Survival seen operating with a stream of Knights & Tarmogoyfs in case of yard-removal. I suspect most fair decks would get mauled by back to back TNNs these days.

Meanwhile, since Vengevine was printed, the following cards that are good AGAINST survival or in deck that are NOT survival were printed:

- Abrupt Decay (maindeckable enchantment removal)
    - Delver (anti-sinergy with Survival and can race or block Vengevine)
    - Prowess creatures in general (anti-sinergy with survival), Pyromancer
    - DRS (maindeckable grave removal)
    - RiP (strongest grave hate)
    - Revoker (maindeckable needle)
    - Terminus (W remove three vengevines)
    - Snapcaster (combined with Swords)
    - Bojuka Bog (land deck in general)
    Delver is a good anti-survival card because it can block Vengevine if blocked? Are you fucking serious? Moreover: None of the cards (except revoker) really deals with the two angles of attack Survival offers.

In general, Survival power level was too good for 2010's Legacy. Since then, not many new actually good survival cards were printed, other decks got exponentially better, and many cards that are actually good vs survival were printed and maindeckable. Survival also work against the dominant strategy of the format of playing 20+ spells because you actually need a significant amount of creatures (20+) to ensure being able to cycle, or it become a dead card.
    Yeah, DRS which is a straight upgrade to Birds to power Survival and turns survival into a lifegain/lifeloss machine by tutoring several DRS' just as example. TNN, Reclamation Sage, Griselbrand, Decay, TNN, etc can all be run in Survival shells. I lack words for the pathetic try to sell GREEN cards as unplayable in a core GREEN deck.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

I feel like the printing of more strong cards actually 'weakens' Brainstorm, as filtering has a higher impact if there is a big difference in quality between your individual cards. Consider why Merfolk never needed to play it.

The printing of very conditional cards (e.g. MDable hate such as pyroblast), cards that boost two-card derp decks (Omniscience), strong shuffle effects (e.g. Fetch & SFM) and cards that are better in your deck than in your hand (e.g. Progenitus, Terminus) makes Brainstorm stronger.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

No, brainstorm does not just 'get better over time.' What cards have been introduced to make brainstorm better? You could argue miracles sure but what else. Thalia made brainstorm worse. Notion thief made it a little worse. The only time you could say brainstorm got substantially better is when allied fetches were introduced and later enemy fetches so you could run more fetches in a deck to take advantage of brainstorm more often by running more fetches. Otherwise brainstorm has been roughly the same card as it has been since 2001 as people misused it then and 14 years later people still misuse it.
    A short list from top of my head that have insane or good Brainstorm synergy, cards that Brainstorm makes better and that make Brainstorm better:

Insane synergy:
    - Allied Fetches
    - Terminus / Entreat
    - Counterbalance

Strong synergy:
    - Stoneforge Mystic (extra Shuffle Effect / Shuffle back equipment and then fetch it with SFM)
    - Delver of Secrets (triggered by BS, BS can force-trigger)
    - DTT, Tombstalker, Treasure Cruise (BS acts as Lotus Petal, also can shuffle away uncastable 2nd or 3rd copy)
    - Thoughtseize (targeted Discard would be way better, especially against Combo, if BS could not hide key cards)
    - Snapcaster Mage

Some synergy:
    - Ad Nauseam (Cheap card)
    - Dark Confidant
    - Tarmogoyf (BS gives +1/+1 too your creature)
    - Ancestral Vision (negates drawback of not drawing in opening hand, places conveniently on top for Shardless)
    - Monastery Swiftspear
    - Past in Flames
    - Monastery Mentor

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Add Infernal Tutor to that list.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    A short list
    Add Young Pyromancer near the top of the list - for obvious reasons - and Deathrite Shaman somewhere in the middle. I don't even think Brainstorm ought to be banned, but this list gives me a pause.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    A short list from top of my head that have insane or good Brainstorm synergy, cards that Brainstorm makes better and that make Brainstorm better:

Insane synergy:
    - Allied Fetches
    - Terminus / Entreat
    - Counterbalance

Strong synergy:
    - Stoneforge Mystic (extra Shuffle Effect / Shuffle back equipment and then fetch it with SFM)
    - Delver of Secrets (triggered by BS, BS can force-trigger)
    - DTT, Tombstalker, Treasure Cruise (BS acts as Lotus Petal, also can shuffle away uncastable 2nd or 3rd copy)
    - Thoughtseize (targeted Discard would be way better, especially against Combo, if BS could not hide key cards)
    - Snapcaster Mage

Some synergy:
    - Ad Nauseam (Cheap card)
    - Dark Confidant
    - Tarmogoyf (BS gives +1/+1 too your creature)
    - Ancestral Vision (negates drawback of not drawing in opening hand, places conveniently on top for Shardless)
    - Monastery Swiftspear
    - Past in Flames
    - Monastery Mentor

lol this looks like the majority of the format...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Add Infernal Tutor to that list.
    Did you mean Lion's Eye Diamond? (Discard as a cost stuff has synergy with brainstorm.)

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Did you mean Lion's Eye Diamond? (Discard as a cost stuff has synergy with brainstorm.)
    No. The issue sometimes with getting your hand empty is land drops not mana. With Brainstorm you can tuck lands and naturally empty your hand should that play be needed. You can add LED to the list, but I did mean tutor.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

For the record, I do not want all cantrips removed from the format in some daydream that making Legacy closer to Modern would be a good idea. My issue is not with Ponder, Preordain, Probe, Opt, Vision's or Peek. My issue is Brainstorm alone. The reason for that is how unbalanced it is when you put it up against these other cards. Instant, nets you access to up to three new cards, fixes opening hands with little to no cost and acts as a defence against Proactive Disruption. These are the things that bother me. I do not mind you looking at the top three cards with Ponder and then drawing each in kind. I have no issue with you doing that with Preordain either. Having instant access to all the tricks Brainstorm offers though at such a low cost, it tips the scales.

Now people can pull apart my views, belittle them, tell me I am a tool for them and say why not just playing the card or whatever else will get thrown around in this place, but that is my view. The issue is that you hold the Swiss army knife of cantrips and its just too bloody powerful. It's a mistake of a card printed to fix a bigger mistake of a card and we have seen time and time again how that works out. And why can not Ponder and Preordain not be enough anyway, its not like you can't still shit all over variance with those two cards open to you. Might not be as effective as before, but fuck it, if you want to play Chess, go play Chess. MTG ain't Chess and its better for it.
    I think this overstates the power of Brainstorm a bit. Yes, it's good against discard, but only in matchups where only a few cards matter; in most cases (i.e. in "fair" mirrors) the benefit to hiding things from discard is marginal. You want your Ponders to be Brainstorms only slightly more often than you want your Brainstorms to be Ponders.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Never thought I'd say this, but this post is very good. A nuanced and very balanced breakdown of where people are coming from.

One breakdown about the strategic diversity thing: Most people seem to define it as "when people are going to win the game and/or whether the fundamental strategy is fast beatdown, grinding or broken things". I would like to break it down a bit further, or at least add color to the picture.

I think it's kind of similar in this case - people are speaking of a really, really high level, high abstraction concept about strategic diversity, it is true enough at the highest level of abstraction. But take a step down the abstraction ladder, when what's important is not only the ends you want to achieve, but the tools and methods you achieve them with. Not down examining game state specific tactics let alone the mechanisms of a card's operation. Higher than that. Step 3 on a 4-step ladder.

At that level of definition, one of the most important defining factors of a strategy is the engine (if any) that powers the deck. Different engines have a very different feel to them and are an important focus of interest for people. At that level, you can't just help but notice you want to be playing the cantrip cartel as the enabling engine in all but a small number of narrow (albeit competitive) cases. It doesn't help that the engine isn't colorless but blue, and that running colors has actual deckbuilding costs, which further restricts what you're likely to want in a well-tuned deck. Legacy could be a beautiful format with a lot of different interesting engines to explore, but practically it's Cartel (everything), Loam (4c Loam, Lands), Elves or bust, and Elves hasn't really been the best-positioned deck in a long time.
    There's a lot of truth to this, and I think that the hair splitting is useful in understanding why I think that Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are problematic despite still allowing some semblance of strategic diversity while cantrips are a net positive despite the fact that they can result in strategically different decks having occasionally similar tactics.

While a combo deck, a control deck, and a tempo deck might all be using cantrips to help implement their strategy, they're ultimately making different choices both about which cards to put where and how to sequence their cantrips to set or respond to the pacing of the game. A Delver deck cantripping to find threats, flip Delver, or find offensive disruption is similar to a control deck cantripping for removal only in that they're using the same tools to find what they need. The sequencing of the cantrips and the manner in which they deploy the tools they've found are substantially different. They also create hidden information in a format where cards like Thoughtseize, Vendillion Clique, Gitaxian Probe, and various recursion tools do a lot to make hands much less hidden than they are in formats without a critical mass of these sorts of effects.

While the Delve draw spells share some of these features (creating unknown information, allowing a variety of decks to implement a game plan that involves them) they're dangerous because they create card advantage at what is simply too low a cost. Decks that can't dedicate at least a few slots to them are simply driven out of the format because they can't keep up with the sheer number of threats or answers a deck employing Dig or Cruise presents unless they can reliably kill the opponent before running out of cards themselves. This is in stark contrast to the pre-Khans era where nonblue decks frequently had strongly favorable matchups against blue decks because they could win card quality fights simply by running threat dense or employing slightly weaker card quality engines like Sylvan Library alongside more powerful threats or answers. Jund, Junk, and Maverick against Delver and Stoneblade are the classic examples of this dynamic, where the former win by overpowering the latter. Death and Taxes is able to exist almost entirely because blue decks designed to rely on cheap spells to find comparatively diffuse threats and answers line up poorly with a threat-dense deck that makes it hard to cast cantrips. The idea of grinding someone out who can draw extra cards every 2-3 turns simply by playing their normal game plan is completely untenable. I strongly suspect that the reason these decks were underplayed relative to their overall strength relative to the metagame is that people hate losing to combo and perceive these decks to have worse combo matchups than they do, while simultaneously assuming that blue decks have better combo matchups than they do. That's a problem with the players, not with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Who are you trying to kidding here? More than 70% of cards WotC prints are creatures, ergo the options for Survival get more diverse automatically.

No, they just simply need to be good enough to push your opponent against the wall. We hav Survival seen operating with a stream of Knights & Tarmogoyfs in case of yard-removal. I suspect most fair decks would get mauled by back to back TNNs these days.

Delver is a good anti-survival card because it can block Vengevine if blocked? Are you fucking serious? Moreover: None of the cards (except revoker) really deals with the two angles of attack Survival offers.

Yeah, DRS which is a straight upgrade to Birds to power Survival and turns survival into a lifegain/lifeloss machine by tutoring several DRS' just as example. TNN, Reclamation Sage, Griselbrand, Decay, TNN, etc can all be run in Survival shells. I lack words for the pathetic try to sell GREEN cards as unplayable in a core GREEN deck.

I'm just going to respond broadly to this since I think Survival is right on the line of banworthiness. My general hunch is that it's best to keep banned but being open to unbanning it in the future, espeically if Miracles becomes a problem since it's naturally resistant to Terminus. That being said, the fact that it's extremely slow and vulnerable to hate is hard to balance against the fact that it's monstrously powerful once it gets going. Lands is the obvious point of comparison as a nonblue graveyard engine deck, but Survival confounds the comparison by being hyper-aggressive instead of durdly while also being far more tempo-negative to get rolling than Loam.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I think this overstates the power of Brainstorm a bit. Yes, it's good against discard, but only in matchups where only a few cards matter; in most cases (i.e. in "fair" mirrors) the benefit to hiding things from discard is marginal. You want your Ponders to be Brainstorms only slightly more often than you want your Brainstorms to be Ponders.
    Discard is a shitty foil against agro and agro control. Discard is a natural foil against combo. In other words, who gives a crap if Brainstorm is marginal at helping agro against discard? It helps combo against discard which is what counts much more.
    Last edited by Finn; 09-28-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Discard is a shitty foil against agro and agro control. Discard is a natural foil against combo. In other words, who gives a crap if Brainstorm is marginal at helping agro against discard? It helps discard, which is what counts much more.

Discard is fine out of control and midrange against aggro and aggro-control; it lets you steer their hand in the direction you want or proactively remove threats or disruption that you don't want to or can't react to. As for the combo cases that you consider the only ones that matter, Brainstorm is only helpful when the combo player's hand pre-Brainstorm contains exactly one non-redundant combo piece AND has and no library manipulation spells other than the Brainstorm. So we're taking about a small subset of combo hands where Brainstorm is functioning as substantive protection - they hide exactly one card that they need to go off and expose only redundant combo pieces, then untap, draw the hidden piece, and go off. Even if they hide two non-redundant combo pieces and expose only chaff, you've bought yourself at least one draw step which is all you can realistically ask for against combo from any sort of non-permanent disruption.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Discard is fine out of control and midrange against aggro and aggro-control; it lets you steer their hand in the direction you want or proactively remove threats or disruption that you don't want to or can't react to. As for the combo cases that you consider the only ones that matter, Brainstorm is only helpful when the combo player's hand pre-Brainstorm contains exactly one non-redundant combo piece AND has and no library manipulation spells other than the Brainstorm. So we're taking about a small subset of combo hands where Brainstorm is functioning as substantive protection - they hide exactly one card that they need to go off and expose only redundant combo pieces, then untap, draw the hidden piece, and go off. Even if they hide two non-redundant combo pieces and expose only chaff, you've bought yourself at least one draw step which is all you can realistically ask for against combo from any sort of non-permanent disruption.
    Have you ever cast Thoughtseize or Duress against a brainstorm combo player? It very often ends up with them hiding the combo pieces on top and your discard amounting to shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Have you ever cast Thoughtseize or Duress against a brainstorm combo player? It very often ends up with them hiding the combo pieces on top and your discard amounting to shit
    I have, tons of times. Sure, sometimes they hide the relevant pieces. I'd contend that the majority of the time you still hit something not irrelevant provided you have some other angle of disruption beyond discard that you can make more effective or force through using the discard. Sometimes it's as good as a counter on the discard spell, and I didn't contest that. I said that Brainstorm doesn't effectively counter discard nearly as often as you suggest. In most cases you can at least strip another cantrip or piece of protection, and in cases where they hide everything that's non-redundant from the discard you've usually bought yourself another draw step, which isn't irrelevant.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Obviously the foil to Brainstorm hiding pieces is instant speed Thoughtseize. #thinkAboutIt.

-Matt

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Split second thoughtseize

Thread Information