View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 714 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 214614664704710711712713714715716717718724764814 ... LastLast
Results 14,261 to 14,280 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

The biggest failure of people in this thread is to try to jam banned cards in existing decks. Unbanned cards can spawn new archetypes, ya know

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I want to see Dragon and Shahrazad in the same deck, just so that way we can see some really fucked up match slips.
    8-8, we drew

Oct 2013
    The Naki, NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    8-8, we drew
    Wouldn't the slips just be 0-0-X, where X is the number of times the Dragon player gets stuck in an infinite loop?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Its a joke on how many subgames caused by Shahrazad were won and lost.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    We all know you just want to keep nesting sub-games using burning wish. The card does present something of a logistics concern. It's not nearly as silly as in the earlier version of the rules when there was no exile zone.
    The thing is, Divine Intervention is a logistics concern as well, but no one complains about it being legal. Sure, there's the fact Divine Intervention isn't very good, but it seems by this metric it should get banned. And players do have the option to immediately concede the game so there's no slowdown.

The real issue with Shahrazad is the fact it's basically a 2-mana "target player loses half their life" which seems a little overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    The biggest failure of people in this thread...
    I think we could find a lot worse on this thread.

New Archetypes come up from time to time. But more often than not when a new card enters the format its best home is in an established archetype.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

We all know you just want to keep nesting sub-games using burning wish. The card does present something of a logistics concern. It's not nearly as silly as in the earlier version of the rules when there was no exile zone.
    Actually, I mean that it does a lot of damage as a bonafide burn card (and it hoses combo in those subgames). The Burning Wish idea, I think, works better in Affinity. Or heck, Dragon. You guys are sick.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    New Archetypes come up from time to time. But more often than not when a new card enters the format its best home is in an established archetype.
    How can you make a generalization like that? If Survival gets unbanned is it going into maverick or are you making a Survival deck? The answer is obvious. Did Land Tax go into existing archetypes or is it a card that needs to be built around?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Did Land Tax go into existing archetypes or is it a card that needs to be built around?
    I tried it in 43 Lands, wasn't very good.

How can you make a generalization like that? If Survival gets unbanned is it going into maverick or are you making a Survival deck? The answer is obvious. Did Land Tax go into existing archetypes or is it a card that needs to be built around?
    Parfait was not invented when Land tax was unbanned! Revival of an old or defunct archetype ≠ spawning a new archetype.

How many cards see Legacy play which are less than five years old? How many brand new tier-one archetypes have we seen in the last five years as a result?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    The thing is, Divine Intervention is a logistics concern as well, but no one complains about it being legal. Sure, there's the fact Divine Intervention isn't very good, but it seems by this metric it should get banned. And players do have the option to immediately concede the game so there's no slowdown ..
    Neither Divine Intervention nor the Karn Liberated ultimate will nest games the way that Shahrazad can.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I think some very early Miracles-type decks played Land Tax, but people pretty quickly came to their senses.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    How many cards see Legacy play which are less than five years old? How many brand new tier-one archetypes have we seen in the last five years as a result?
    For the mental exercise, and time is not on my side, I think U/R Delver & Grixis Delver, Shardless BUG, and Miracles would be the most recent, new tier decks. I forget when the pivotal namesake cards (Delver, Y. Pyro, Shardless, DRS, Terminus, angel miracle..., etc.) were released, but it feels like about 5 years ago. A wrung lower, I'd throw in TinFins and Infect.

Typically, your sentiment is agreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    For the mental exercise, and time is not on my side, I think U/R Delver & Grixis Delver, Shardless BUG, and Miracles would be the most recent, new tier decks. I forget when the pivotal namesake cards (Delver, Y. Pyro, Shardless, DRS, Terminus, angel miracle..., etc.) were released, but it feels like about 5 years ago. A wrung lower, I'd throw in TinFins and Infect.

Typically, your sentiment is agreeable.
    U/R counter-burn is one of the oldest archetypes in the game's history. I could also argue that Terminus and Entreat fit neatly into the existing U/W counter-top shell. Infect is just Berserk Stompy with better creatures.

I'm not saying new archetypes never one up. Only that this is the exception when Legacy gets a new card. And often you can tell. Hymn to Tourach (if anything) will either go into a dedicated hand disruption deck (Pox) or a big mana deck like Tezzerator or dark MUD. It's not going to be built around! Mind's Desire will go into a Storm or High Tide shell. Anybody who thought Vise was going to spawn a new archetype was fooling themselves.

Also, it's kind of irrelevant! The fact that a new card might create a new and OP archetype is not a reason to fear that card. Otherwise nothing would be safe. Any argument that a card should stay banned should at the very least suggest a specific deck for that card (new or old) that might be OP.

Neither Divine Intervention nor the Karn Liberated ultimate will nest games the way that Shahrazad can.
    I guarantee Divine Intervention would be banned if it had the same casting cost as Scheherazade (Sharazad lol).

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I guarantee Divine Intervention would be banned if it had the same casting cost as Scheherazade (Sharazad lol).
    So would Karn Liberated, amirite?!

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    So would Karn Liberated, amirite?!
    Yeah, and someone at Wizards would be looking for work.

It's not a totally fair comparison, though -- Intervention could easily have been printed at WW. Back in Legends, Wizards HAD NO FREAKING IDEA WHAT THEY WERE DOING. Mana Drain? Let's make that cost UU. Abyss? Uh, 3B sounds fair. Craw Giant? Oh HELL NO that's gotta cost 3GGGG! RAMPAGE OP!

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    It was on the ban list for a while. I imagine it would be banned even at 4 or 5 mana since all-in decks could play it as some kind of game reset effect.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

It was on the ban list for a while. I imagine it would be banned even at 4 or 5 mana since all-in decks could play it as some kind of game reset effect.
    Isn't lich's mirror that card?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Divine Intervention does not extend the time of the game like Shahrazad. They aren't really similar in the way they force a draw. And it is the manner in which Shahrazad forces the draw that has it banned, more like Divining Top in Modern than Divine Intervention.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information