Thread: Narcomoeba

Mar 2009
    New Jersey

Narcomoeba

Just wanted to know if Narcomoeba's ability is a trigger, and can it be responded to? ex, I have Tormod's Crypt in play and my oponent casts careful study on his mainphase. He has a graveyard containing a few dregders, a cabal therapy, and 3 bridge from belows. He dredges and flips 2 narcomoebas, can I respond to them coming into play by removing his yard with crypt, preventing him from being able to cast therapy?

Re: Narcomoeba

112.3c. Triggered abilities have a trigger condition and an effect. They are written as "[Trigger condition], [effect]," and begin with the word "when," "whenever," or "at." Whenever the trigger event occurs, the ability is put on the stack the next time a player would receive priority and stays there until it's countered, it resolves, or it otherwise leaves the stack. See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities."
    Narcomoeba 1U
    Creature -- Illusion
    Flying
    When Narcomoeba is put into your graveyard from your library, you may put it onto the battlefield.
    1/1
    After Narcomoeba's ability triggers, you have a chance to play spells and abilities just like any other time.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Mar 2009
    New Jersey

Well i got ripped off at a tournament then, I knew I was right about it, but the judge disagreed.
    Thanks for the fast response Chuck

Side question, What should you do if a judge makes a ruling at an event and you think it's wrong? (like this time)
    Are you just stuck with a bad ruling?

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

Appeal to the Head Judge.
    Rules Advisor

If it is the head judge, you're stuck for that tournament. If so, bring it up with the judge afterwards in a calm and reasonable way. If the judge is not being reasonable, and is certified, let me know privately who it is.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by NjPunk1 View Post
    can I respond to them coming into play by removing his yard with crypt, preventing him from being able to cast therapy?
    Technically, you can't respond to them "coming into play". If the Narcomoebas come into play, and you haven't already done something, then there is nothing on the stack and the active player gets priority to cast his cabal therapy before you can do anything. However, you can respond to the trigger of the Narcomoeba by using Tormod's Crypt. This way, the opponent's graveyard will be removed, then the Narcomoebas will come into play, then the stack will presumably be empty again. The opponent will never had had a chance to use Cabal Therapy in this case.

Incorrect, see below.
    Last edited by cdr; 09-11-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: marked

If you respond to the Narcomoeba triggers, the Narcomoebas are no longer in the graveyard, and they will not return to the battlefield.

603.6. Trigger events that involve objects changing zones are called "zone-change triggers." Many abilities with zone-change triggers attempt to do something to that object after it changes zones. During resolution, these abilities look for the object in the zone that it moved to. If the object is unable to be found in the zone it went to, the part of the ability attempting to do something to the object will fail to do anything. The ability could be unable to find the object because the object never entered the specified zone, because it left the zone before the ability resolved, or because it is in a zone that is hidden from a player, such as a library or an opponent's hand. (This rule applies even if the object leaves the zone and returns again before the ability resolves.) The most common zone-change triggers are enters-the-battlefield triggers and leaves-the-battlefield triggers.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information