Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planechase = AWESOME.

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Re: Planechase = AWESOME.

IMO building a deck to go with a custom set of planes is like pouring €500 into an EDH deck: just not right. We ended up throwing all of our planes together into a big pile and just playing casualdecks with them, profiting from some planes and hating some other planes (DAMN YOU LETHE LAKE).

Honestly, take it for what it is, a casual concept, and don't try to be 'good' at it since that's not what it's about.
    Hello friend.

You can't be good at something this random, I think. But I don't think something is wrong with making another deck with the right planes to play the way you want. It's still going to be fun.
    And 500 into an EDH isn't all that hard if you want a decent manabase, for example. Price doesn't make a difference, the kind of deck does. Hokori.dec is no fun but I don't think it has to be expensive. EDH is a fun format, if you make an expensive deck, it's up to you.

2224 players? Count me there!
    Sep 2006
    Rio de Janeiro

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Nightmare is totally right. I'm loving this. I wanted to buy all of them, but I'm hella broke, so I'm postponing that for a while. Loving it though.
    OMG, it must be really, insanely, measureless, unfathomable fun!! Even JeroenC liked it!!
    Tapping lands and watching the sky falling since 1995.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    FeFe Team - Fame, girls and Mox Diamonds
    AHHHHHHH MULHEK!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
    Elen Síla Lúmenn Ommentielvo!

I actually just played Planechase and EDH (and the combo) for the first time ever last night. I love all of it! Planechase could not be more fun. A+

Totally agree, we play it, we love it.

It randomizes a lot, so the noob.deck also has a chance. Its so cracy whene they roll chaos like elric from melbon and put 5/5 dragons into play...
    You waste all your mana for it, then you just change the plane and only make things worse for you .
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Dec 2007
    Milan, Italy

Have you seen this before? They're giving it at Zendikar prerelase with Rampaging Baloths.

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Bigface View Post
    Have you seen this before? They're giving it at Zendikar prerelase with Rampaging Baloths.

yes, and im upset i cant make it to a pre-release to get one. I have all the 41 that are out now, I'd like to keep collecting them
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

May 2005

Agreed, it is pretty awesome. Hopefully we'll get some cards that say "planeswalk to the next plane" or "activate the chaos ability of the current plane" because that would be awesomer.

Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Agreed, it is pretty awesome. Hopefully we'll get some cards that say "planeswalk to the next plane" or "activate the chaos ability of the current plane" because that would be awesomer.
    they'd never put casual cards in a competitive set. But if they did, I'd be all over it.

That'd be interesting, wouldn't it? A casual set, thats not an "Un" set? Have a set of cards specifically designed for casual, or less played formats. Like one set that has cards for Planechase(like "Activate the chaos ability on current Plane) or cards for EDH(Exile target General) or something for 2HG(Target team chooses a player on their team, that player skips his/her next untap and/or draw step)

Competitive is good, but casual is fun.

Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

wouldn't happen because of limited and non-planechase players getting confused about the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    They could make another set of planechase decks next year and put in some cards that aren't actually in the regular game. They wouldn't be legal for tournament play, but legal for planechase. Maybe have a text line like the old Ante cards that says "Remove this card from your deck if you are not playing with Planechase" to avoid some confusion.

The Diet Coke of Legacy

Jul 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia

First time poster, short time reader.

So we had 2 three man EDH pods last night with Planechase. Both pods used the same plane, and whenever one pod rolled to another plane, it had split second on the other pod.

Eric (Sharum), Gallo (UWB Meriki?) and I (Wort, Boggart Auntie) were in one pod, and Josh (UW Angel?), John (Sapling of Colfenor), and Jon (Evil Crovax) were in another.

I'm up first on the roll, and we're on the Chaos Roll: Take An Extra Turn plane. I proceed to take four extra turns and recur my Mogg War Mashall with my General, Wort, Boggart Auntie. On my second to last turn the other pod planes into Coat of Armor and I swing for some stupid amount on Gallo. Untap, do it again, put Gallo at 8, and pass the turn. The turn comes back around and I swing on Gallo with Boggart for the kill, and five or six tokens at Eric. Mid swing they planechase into something else, Gallo lives at 4, and Eric is at low thirties.

I Tarfire Gallo, Sac Mogg Fanatic, and flashback Dread Return on the Fanatic to finish him off, shooting my wad in the process, and go head to head with Eric. I have in hand, Tarfire, and in the yard a Hammer of Bogarden.

Eric untaps, we dance a few turns, and he vomits his hand on the table when he cranks out Cloud Key, Etherium Sculptor, and a Sculpting Steel on Etherium Sculptor. Eric ends the turn with Winter Orb on the table, a few blockers, and I'm tapped out.

I untap a Vivid Crag, play a land, and they planeswalk into the "If a creature deals combat damage to an opponent the controller may draw a card" plane. I swing for 8 with 8 guys, and he takes it. I draw five lands and three threats, roll the planechase and hit the plane letting me play as many lands as I want each turn. I empty my hand on the table and realize I have Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician, more than two Mountains, and Crucible of Worlds. I make 2 billion Goblins, infinite Red mana, and have no Banefire while I'm at close to forty life.

In hand I have Lightning Bolt and Tarfire. Not enough to finish him off. Pass the turn, and don't take mana burn. *Dances a jig*

Eric untaps, combos off a bit with his Vedelken 0/2 card drawing engine, hits the Magister Sphynx to put me at ten, has the Lightning Greaves, but doesn't hit the Cranial Plating and can't finish me off. Two billion and six goblins rush and devour him like ugly zombies.

Now for the kinky part!

When Jon, John, and Josh's pod gets to one person, that winner and I face off. In the meantime, every time my turn would come up, I gain two life because I'm "recuperating." It's a rule we agreed on at the start and I love it.

Six rotations go by and I go from 10 to 22 before John and Josh scoop to Jon because, "[he's] got this and has the best chance of winning."

They pass the turn to me, and we're on the Polymorph plane. Without waiting for priority, Jon Slaughterpacts my Goblin King, but I had tutored with Liliana on my last turn to get a Goblin Chieftan and put it on top. So with Slaughterpact on the stack, I do the Polymorph plane ability, sacrificing a token (now two billion and seven), and hit, viola! My Chieftan! Save my guys from Jon's evil Crovax, and send my horde of zombie goblins his way to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    they'd never put casual cards in a competitive set. But if they did, I'd be all over it.

That'd be interesting, wouldn't it? A casual set, thats not an "Un" set? Have a set of cards specifically designed for casual, or less played formats. Like one set that has cards for Planechase(like "Activate the chaos ability on current Plane) or cards for EDH(Exile target General) or something for 2HG(Target team chooses a player on their team, that player skips his/her next untap and/or draw step)

Competitive is good, but casual is fun.
    They could just do it like they did with Blood Tyrant.

Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Quote Originally Posted by xXxBretWeedxXx View Post
    They could just do it like they did with Blood Tyrant.
    yeah, but Blood Tyrant can exist in non-multiplayer games. If they made a card that made the players "Planeswalk", it wouldn't work anywhere but in a planechase game. The only way i can think of them making something like that into a legit card, would be to make a card that reads something like: "The next time you would roll a die, you choose the outcome of the roll" That would allow people to choose "Planeswalk Symbol" or "Chaos Symbol"...but it could potentially break other cards(mostly Un-cards, which don't affect competitive play anyway)

idk, I sometimes wish Wizards would make middle-ground cards. There are competitive cards(those used in sanctioned events) and there are what MaRo calls "casual" cards(the UNsets)....I'd like to have cards designed for Planechase or EDH, and not have to worry about a Cheaty Face.

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

The plane that silences people until someone planeswalks is hilarious :D Just had a game where two people were silenced and nobody rolled to keep it that way for several rounds :D
    Hello friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    yeah, but Blood Tyrant can exist in non-multiplayer games. If they made a card that made the players "Planeswalk", it wouldn't work anywhere but in a planechase game. The only way i can think of them making something like that into a legit card, would be to make a card that reads something like: "The next time you would roll a die, you choose the outcome of the roll" That would allow people to choose "Planeswalk Symbol" or "Chaos Symbol"...but it could potentially break other cards(mostly Un-cards, which don't affect competitive play anyway)

idk, I sometimes wish Wizards would make middle-ground cards. There are competitive cards(those used in sanctioned events) and there are what MaRo calls "casual" cards(the UNsets)....I'd like to have cards designed for Planechase or EDH, and not have to worry about a Cheaty Face.
    You missed my point. The planechase ability would be a 2nd ability. Blood Tyrants 2nd ability has no bearing in a non casual format either.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxBretWeedxXx View Post
    You missed my point. The planechase ability would be a 2nd ability. Blood Tyrants 2nd ability has no bearing in a non casual format either.
    Right, but it also just doesn't affect anything because the game would be over at that point. Putting something that mentions "planeswalking" or "chaos die" would just be non-sensical. It's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath_Of_Houlding View Post
    Right, but it also just doesn't affect anything because the game would be over at that point. Putting something that mentions "planeswalking" or "chaos die" would just be non-sensical. It's not the same.
    The template is there all the same.

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Producing sets/cards purely for casual, let alone buy them, would IMO be completely insane.
    Hello friend.

Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ectoplasm View Post
    Producing sets/cards purely for casual, let alone buy them, would IMO be completely insane.
    so you're one of those people who think that Magic isn't a game. to each his own.

Thread Information