Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dream Halls

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

[Deck] Dream Halls

Hell ya. One of my favor cards is finally legal to play with in Legacy. This list is based off one I saw for Vintage.

4x Tarmogoyf

4x Brainstorm
    4x Meditate/TFK

3x Dream Halls
    3x Cruel Ultimatum
    2x Mystical Tutor

4x Force of Will
    4x Counterspell
    3x Commandeer
    4x Thoughtseize

4x Chrome Mox
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Delta
    4x Strand
    2x Underground Sea
    3x Trop
    3x Island
    1x Swamp

SB:
    3x Engineered Plague
    3x Deed
    3x Krosan Grip
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    2x Sower
    1x Something fun

List is totally untested, since I just found out this morning and was working all day. Talk about a long day!

Card Choices:

Goyf: This is Legacy. Doesn't every deck start with 4x of this? But really it's something to put in the way of stuff and can be a plan b if needed.

Brainstorm:Duh

Meditate:Need to fill the hand up to keep the Dream Halls going.

Dream Halls: Oh ya. Pitch my Brainstorm to cast Cruel Ultimatum. Oh ya.

Cruel Ultimatum: I've wanted play this card in Legacy forever.

Mystical Tutor: Finds Meditate, CU, FOW, etc..

Force of Will:It's a Blue deck.

Counterspell: Hard counter. I don't think daze fits here because the deck wants to hit 5 mana asap.

Commandeer:Questionable. This could become Misdirection or anound Counter or something.

Thoughtseize:Takes what I don't want my opponent to have.

Mox and Tomb:Speed the deck up.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

May 2007
    Brazil

Re: [Deck] Dream Halls

One word:
    Conflux

The Sources Headache, your gunna need more than a tylenol.
    May 2009

I see what your doing here and i like the idea of the bringing in big spells like ultimatums so we can go T2 on t1.5. but the list you have there i can't see it cutting it. why not a shell that exercises stalling?

i think brilliant ultimatum might have a place here as well. same with fact of friction. or even out old friend gifts?

4 brainstorm
    3 swords to plowshares
    2 mystical tutor
    2 vindicates

3 dreamhalls
    4 standstill/ancestral vision
    4 propoganda
    1 humility/moat

2 academy rector
    1 progenitus
    1 iona

2 wrath of god
    4 thoughtseize
    1 catastrophe (not sure about it but looks good)

4 cruel ultimatum
    3 brilliant ultimatum
    1 conflux

2 diving top

4 underground sea
    4 tundra
    4 poluted delta
    3 island
    1 plains
    4 ancient tomb
    1 swamp

it goes for stalling the opponent over strait comboing.

theres no force of will but you might tweak that in. I'd almost rather just go for destroying stuff as they play it to eat up there counter spell if its that type of match up. Propoganda messes with them as they must destroy it, dream halls plus catastrophe for lands and your safe. i wanted to put more big land destruction spell in there but its late and there not coming to mind.

like the guy before said conflux. this would be great for gabbing the comboing spells.

with dream halls, progenitus is just a why not.

Iona isn't out yet but i wager she can shut just about anyone down once she hits the field.

perhaps even us sorin markov?

cruel ultimatum should do them in pretty well. not sure what would be a another good guarenteed finisher, which is why i kinda think sorin would be good after pounding them with cruel ultimatum. before a series cruel Ultimatums they should have weakened life total from fetches, thoughtseizes, forces, and the like, thus making me believe 2 to 3 cruels will do them in or at death's door.

maybe bitter blossom instead of markov would be lighter mana cost and more practical.

brilliant ultimatum is great because u don't know whats gunna flip and you can cast what ever you need for free any how like you want too with dream halls.

I can't tell if its better to standstill or visions but vision would be better to keep card flow coming once you get dream halls out. it really hinges on how were playing the deck.

academy rector is a must. we need our dream halls any why we can get it. if the opponent can't remove it from game it might do some of the weakening that might be needed encase you can't get victory by no being able to get enough cruels to go off.

wrath for killing rector or opposing creatures. maybe disk would have a place for pre-hall situations.

vindicate is necessary destruction as it is two colors and hey its freaken vindicate baby!

mystical tutor slot i'm not so sure about. might be better to put in fact or friction for combo piece hunting and futhering combo once halls is out.

top is always a necessity in the combo deck that has to build up its mana sources to go off. its not like were ritualing into crazy storm counts.

i might be forgetting something but i'll get back to that later i'm writing this half awake.
    "I realize none of you like me. I accept it. But like all dark people, I'm rejoicing on your pain! Muwhahaha! "

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Dream Halls loves Conflux and Cruel Ultimatum. It's beatiful how you can cast Cruel Ultimatum any number of times of the same creature (a pity Progenitus isn't able as the bastard shuffles into your library), like, for instance, an Inkwell Leviathan or a Hellkite Overlord.
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

Seems to me the easiest way to get this to work is to fit the combo into a Landstill shell and then focus on surviving until the 5th or 6th turn when you can cast Dream Halls and win on that turn. I'm not so sure about the rest of the deck, but something along these lines for the combo win seems pretty right to me...

4x Dream Halls
    3x Conflux
    3x Cruel Ultimatum

Going UBR would allow us to cast the Ultimatum without having Dream Halls in play, so I'm going to try to build it in those colors. Not exactly sure how it will turn out, but it should be interesting, at the very least.

Regardless of how the deck ends up, I think multiple Conflux is a must. It is, essentially, a Meditate that tutors instead of draws. And, of course, you're essentially guaranteed to chain Conflux into another Conflux. In the case of using Cruel Ultimatum as the win-condition, casting it multiple times isn't extremely important, but it does mean you can grab another counterspell if they simply wait for you to attempt to put your win-condition through.

Also, it is important that the deck is at least capable of winning the turn it casts Dream Halls. This means Progenitus and random uber-expensive Planeswalkers are probably out; even though I really want to find a deck where one can reliably cast and use Nicol Bolas, this probably isn't it. Cruel Ultimatum is a good choice, as you only need three to win in the vast majority of cases, they can all reliably cast in one turn if you're using Conflux, they don't rely on the storm mechanic, which is about to pick up some serious hate when Zendikar comes out, and it is in the right colors. I honestly can't think of a strictly better method of winning.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

or, if you want to have spells of all colors, Transguild Courier is a nice engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Instead, why not focus on -playing- spells of all colors?

For example, it's incredibly easy to get Progenitus out with this thing, and as mentioned, you can go infinite and pretty much play your whole deck if you start chaining Confluxes with other draw spells. Conflux can also grab almost any two card combo in existence (Pandeburst comes to mind) along with other copies of Conflux to play them, rendering draw chains somewhat weaker.

There's a ton of good kills here if you can resolve Dream Halls. The trick is finding the one that lets you do it for the least number of wasted deck slots.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

There's a ton of good kills here if you can resolve Dream Halls. The trick is finding the one that lets you do it for the least number of wasted deck slots.
    That is true. I based my list off this one.

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Mana Vault
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    3 Commandeer
    3 Dream Halls
    1 Echoing Truth
    4 Force of Will
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Intuition
    4 Mana Drain
    4 Meditate
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Misdirection
    4 Mystic Remora
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Ponder
    1 Time Walk
    1 Tinker
    3 Cruel Ultimatum
    1 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
    1 Fire / Ice
    2 Flooded Strand
    5 Island
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Tolarian Academy
    2 Volcanic Island

# 60

Sideboard:

2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Fire / Ice
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Rebuild
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Sower of Temptation

# 15
    I know we lose the mana production, but I like the how the deck works. Maybe Niv-Mizzet is worth a look as a secondary kill.

I also think that Thoughtseize/Duress or Chant needs to be some where in the deck, either MD or SB to deal with pesky stuff like Krosan Grip.
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Do you think its really necessary to play spells like Conflux to make the concept viable at all?

Also take into account that the "pitched" cards go to graveyard, but i dont know if there Flashback cardss that are powerful enough.

Playing that many spells of different colours makes you more likely to dont have smoething to pitch to DH. Therefore i would stay (mostly) blue.

Spells that come to my mind are:
    -Ancestral Vision
    -Fact or Fiction
    maybe Counterspell, Flash Of Insight

Possible accel: Chrome Mox, Ancient Tomb, Show and Tell
    BBB

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Unless you plan on playing something like countersquall or mishra's factory, how do you plan on winning with only 3 cruel ultimatums? It seems like you either want to play four, or something like nicol bolas and one or two, as nicol can win the game really fast and can destroy any pesky permanents that would keep you from winning with 4 ultimatums. (sphere of law, confinement, ect)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Ancestral Visions and Show and Tell both seem like good options as they serve wether you have Dream Halls on table or not. visions is a decent turn-1 drop in a slow deck that can be played afterwards when you have Dream Halls, so considering this decks aims to get Dream Halls in game in the midgame or sooner, this makes AV in a better topdeck perfect to seek for your bombs.

Show and Tell allows faster Dream Halls (turns 1-2) and lets you put into play things like Progenitus in case you don't get Dream Halls.

I've being toying with this list based in Brushwagg's.

DREAM CONFLUX

4x Brainstorm
    4x Ancestral Visions/Thirst for Knowledge/anything that deeps into your library.
    3x Merchant Scroll/Mystical Tutor

4x Dream Halls
    3x Cruel Ultimatum
    1x Conflux
    1x Progenitus
    1x Empyreal Archangel

4x Force of Will
    4x Counterspell
    2x Commandeer
    4x Thoughtseize

4x Chrome Mox

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Delta
    4x Strand
    4x Underground Sea
    4x Island
    1x Swamp
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

If you have any other damage source in the deck, 3 Cruel Ultimatums should easily let you win. They're at 10 or so, with no hand while you have a full grip.

I posit that the tightest core of cards to win with Dream Halls:
    2 Conflux
    2 Cruel Ultimatum
    1 All Sun's Dawn.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    If you have any other damage source in the deck, 3 Cruel Ultimatums should easily let you win. They're at 10 or so, with no hand while you have a full grip.

I posit that the tightest core of cards to win with Dream Halls:
    2 Conflux
    2 Cruel Ultimatum
    1 All Sun's Dawn.
    My point was: Is it worth it to play other winconditions in the deck when conflux can search for:
    conflux x2
    1x cruel
    1x brainstorm/force
    1x thoughtseize/swords (whichever splash)
    pitch thoughtseize/swords to cast another con, get:
    conflux x1
    cruel x2
    1x brainstorm/force
    1x thoughtseize/swords
    repeat until you have 4 cruels with tons of fodder and active forces/thoughseizes, and win on the spot, or use 2 cruels, 1 nicol bolas (once your opponent is hellbent, he should have no problem using his ultimate twice FTW, which allows you to run fewer CUs, and optionally fewer CON)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    2 Conflux
    2 Cruel Ultimatum
    1 All Sun's Dawn.
    2 Conflux
    1 Magister Sphinx
    1 Searing Wind

(Though more Conflux is always useful)

Mar 2007
    RI

Yea I'd been thinking of how 4 Conflux would work as Media mentions you can chain one to grab the others, as well as a couple Cruels and counter back up, then repeat. The only issue is it ends up taking up a bunch of deck space with cards that don't do anything w/o a Dream Halls. Versus running something like the Blue version where it's fuel cards are Ancestral Visions, Thirst for Knowledge and Fact or Fiction rather than Conflux, so they are totally playable to help dig for you're Dream Halls. Then once you're casting them for free you can just chain through your deck into w/e the win is.

I also noticed with the mention of Progenitus + Coalition Victory, wouldn't Progenitus + Time Stretch be better, since it doesn't require a Dual Land set up? I guess it doesn't guarantee a win against weird decks that gain a ton of life, if you're running Cruels too though, they should be within reach of two Progenitus swings after you've combo'd off.
    TPDMC

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    2 Conflux
    1 Magister Sphinx
    1 Searing Wind

This seems like the best non Tendrils win con.

The entire combo doesn't take up much space.

On a side note, Academy Rector and Diabolic Intent work extremely well together in a deck like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

1x Niv-Mizzet

4x Brainstorm
    4x Meditate
    3x Cruel Ultimatum
    3x Mystical Tutor

3x Dream Halls

4x Force of Will
    4x Counterspell
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Commandeer/Shackels/Threads/Echoing Truth
    1x Recall

4x Chrome Mox
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x City of Traitors
    4x Delta
    2x Strand
    5x Island
    3x Sea
    2x Volcanic

Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    2 Conflux
    1 Magister Sphinx
    1 Searing Wind

IDK, all these spells are completely unplayable without Dream Halls, but I think that Cruel Ultimatum is better on his own, in case you can't get crazy with Conflux, as it's still the best card to play of Fream Halls. Probably the best option is the one Media suggested.

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Has anyone considered Enduring Ideal/Academy Rector plan? Everything looks very focused on Dream Halls which is cool, but the decks have no other outs and just play a bunch of cards it would REALLY suck to draw. Maybe even on Ideal but these decks look like the really need Academy Rector and Cabal Therapy in them.
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Grozoth + a bunch of cmc=9 spells. Four Searing Winds wins the game, but why do that when you can fill your hand with a bunch of other fun crap?

Thread Information