Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Berserk Stompy

Re: [Deck] Berserk Stompy

Nettle Sentinel is way better that both Tattermunge Maniac and Jungle Lion (and possibly Skyshroud Elite too).
    I found in testing that he isn't a simple 2/2 for 1, he is BETTER.
    His "drawback" in this deck helps, in the form of having another guy to block; the obvious situation i'm talking of is when you'll attack with the Sentinel, then play another dude = one more creature to block on the opponent turn.

unquestionable creatures for Berserk Stompy imho

4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
    4 Kavu Predator
    4 Silhana Ledgewalker (she is better that Slippery Bogle)

questionable creatures

Skyshroud Elite
    Slippery Bogle
    Tattermunge Maniac (better than Jungle Lion)
    Scryb Sprites

Imho the optimal configuration is 17 lands (with fetchlands or not), 19 or 20 pumps spells and 23 or 24 creatures; so you have to choose 7 or 8 creatures you like most from the questionable list above, and the deck is done.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

IMO, 17 lands is just too much. 14 are enough, 12 could be okay, too. But 17? We play cheap spells for a reason.
    Slippery Bogle is a must-include. Trollshroud is one of our best weapons.

Oct 2007
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Samsunait View Post
    Tattermunge Maniac (better than Jungle Lion)
    Hmm, I'n not sure..

Maniac's Advantage:
    -Can block the turn after it came into play. (When thats relevant, you've already lost)

Lion's Advantage:
    -Doesn't need to attack when there is a >0/>2 on the other side of the field.

So, lets take a situation and compare them..

Your opponent has a >0/>2 critter (Say, Tarmogoyf) and you've got a Maniac without any pump in your hand. You'll have to attack, your Goblin dies and you're going to lose. If the Maniac was a Lion instead, you could've past the turn and your opponent could've done two things:
    -Hold the Goyf back to block in case you have pump+Berserk.
    -Attack with the Goyf.

In the first case you've created a "Goyfstill" with a 2/1 dude. in the second case, you can attack with it.

Dec 2006
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by leander? View Post
    Hmm, I'n not sure..

Maniac's Advantage:
    -Can block the turn after it came into play. (When thats relevant, you've already lost)

Lion's Advantage:
    -Doesn't need to attack when there is a >0/>2 on the other side of the field.

So, lets take a situation and compare them..

Your opponent has a >0/>2 critter (Say, Tarmogoyf) and you've got a Maniac without any pump in your hand. You'll have to attack, your Goblin dies and you're going to lose. If the Maniac was a Lion instead, you could've past the turn and your opponent could've done two things:
    -Hold the Goyf back to block in case you have pump+Berserk.
    -Attack with the Goyf.

In the first case you've created a "Goyfstill" with a 2/1 dude. in the second case, you can attack with it.
    Maniac > Lion vs Goblins. If you are on the play and play Mania/Lion and the opponent plays Lackey you can't block with the Lion.

If you have a Maniac in your hand without any pump don't play it. You must Mulligan or play another critter. This deck must win in the first 3-5 turns. If you get to topdeck you depend of your luck.

If you have many Goblins in your meta play Maniac. If not, play what you want. They are almost equal.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Gocho View Post
    If you have many Goblins in your meta play Maniac. If not, play what you want. They are almost equal.
    If u willing to block first turn, then play maniac, but, even against goblin, you shouldn't kill your creatures that way...

I preffer the ability to hold my attack until I can kill the opponent instead of just attack every turn and possibly block in first turn...

One thing is set, it's even Tattermunge or Jungle lion... player's choice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    IMO, 17 lands is just too much. 14 are enough, 12 could be okay, too. But 17? We play cheap spells for a reason.
    Slippery Bogle is a must-include. Trollshroud is one of our best weapons.
    Actually it's enough for us... we don't want to be locked... and if you consider, Thresh also run fast things with like 18 lands... I simply works. No flood, no lack. And gives us the possibility of running random 3cc sideboard.

Bogle is a auto-fit if you are willing to combo every game. It's main disadvantage is not being a 2/, and so, slower than Elite, Lion, Nettle, and such... If you intend to play a more Aggro-ish version then a Combo-ish one, then maybe you could replace him, or silhana... Personally, I like Bogle.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Oct 2007
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Gocho View Post
    Maniac > Lion vs Goblins. If you are on the play and play Mania/Lion and the opponent plays Lackey you can't block with the Lion.
    You can´t block with the Maniac either. As far as I know Lackey hasn´t got haste (Thank God for that), and next turn your maniac is tapped. If you're on the draw, however, your opponent only has to wait one turn before attcking with the lackey and he can connect. So I kindof fail to see why Maniac is so much better against Lackey.
    Seriously, having a creature that reduces the number of choices is really, realy bad.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Updated main page with some card information, and an up-to-date version of the deck.

Other information, matchup analysis and thechs yet to be done.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Why not run Elvish Spirit Guide?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Gui_Brasil View Post
    Updated main page with some card information, and an up-to-date version of the deck.

Other information, matchup analysis and thechs yet to be done.
    Nice work, but i think you should change 4 Jungle Lions for 4 Nettle Sentinel; i undestand that Lion vs Maniac can be a personal preference, but the Sentinel is in almost every way better than both Lion and Maniac. As you said too, in this deck is more than 90% of the time a 2/2 for 1 with vigilance.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Why not run Elvish Spirit Guide?
    Mostly because of the card disadvantage. If you keep the mana growing thigh and steady, you will be able to combo turn 3 more easily, with more options at the table. Since you can't combo without creatures, and you most likely won't be able to combo for 20 all the time, you want a growing curve on your creatures for the remaining damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsunait View Post
    Nice work, but i think you should change 4 Jungle Lions for 4 Nettle Sentinel; i undestand that Lion vs Maniac can be a personal preference, but the Sentinel is in almost every way better than both Lion and Maniac. As you said too, in this deck is more than 90% of the time a 2/2 for 1 with vigilance.
    Added the options at the page.

Personally, i think:
    Jungle lion:
    - 2/1 than will most likely always attack when he can, or when you wish to.

Nettle sentinel
    - 2/2 that will most likely be a 2/2 with vengeance, but can be locked by out-of-cards

For the combo situation, both do the same, since you will cast green spells, and don't care about creature thoughtness
    For the before-combo situation, where you want to do high damage, Nettle will be better if you have spare green cards, usualy permanents, being a 2/2 vigilance, or at least a 2/2.
    Jungle will be better if the table is clean on the enemy side, and you don't have loads of spare permanents.
    On a after-combo case, Jungle seems better since he doesn't need green cards to be an option.

I preffer Nettle, since I don't want the game to be that long.

EDIT:
    - Updated loads of card info @ mainpage.

- Need results, percentage and such, to post @ matchups

Please, don't let the thread die! ^^
    Last edited by Gui; 09-29-2009 at 10:00 AM.

hi there, I like to see a thread about this deck in the source. I would like to share my list with you. I've been playing berserk stompy for 2 years now, and now with VoVW this deck gains a bit more consistency I think. Anyway here's my list:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
    10 [B] Forest (3)
    3 [US] Gaea's Cradle
    4 [B] Forest (2)

// Creatures
    4 [GP] Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
    4 [PLC] Kavu Predator
    4 [GP] Silhana Ledgewalker
    4 [EVE] Slippery Bogle
    3 [EVE] Cold-Eyed Selkie
    4 [EVE] Nettle Sentinel

// Spells
    4 [B] Berserk
    4 [MM] Invigorate
    4 [TSP] Might of Old Krosa
    4 [UL] Rancor
    4 [ZEN] Vines of Vastwood

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 4 [MI] Seeds of Innocence
    SB: 4 [SHM] Vexing Shusher
    SB: 4 [ON] Naturalize

I have changed recently the elite slots for sentinels cause as most of you said, it's 90% a 2/2 with vigilance in this deck. Been able to cast an invigorate and block a goyf it's good :)

And then you'll ask why 3 cradle's and selkies. Cradle is crappy if it's the only land in your 1st hand, but otherwise it speeds the deck a lot. Selkie is always useful in matches where you stall and you don't have the spells needed to combo out. The islandwalk part is a nightmare for every blue deck if it sticks. I don't care to play rancor+berserk in selkie cause that means 6 cards, but if you play this in another creature you're left with nothing in hand and in topdeck mode. anyway i encourage you to test it before dismissing it, for me it has proven it's inclussion. Maybe with more and more testing i will cut her, but not now.

Thoughts?

I am a big fan of berserk stompy decks, I made some top4 in the past at my local shop with a RG deck with rancor, berserk, fling and burn. I supose mono green is the way to go, but I would like to make some questions for those who have tested the most recent list:

1- is vines of vastwood a good inclusion? I haven't tested it, it seems good on paper but i don't know if it's as 4 of. Any test confirmation?

2- would be interesting to test a GW deck with qasali pridemage, maybe watchwolf, swords (lifegain is good with predator)? I think it deserves a consideration at least.

thank you

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Sideboardchoices to add:

CotV 0 against Combo
    Rushwood Legate against Blue Stuff and LS

maybe Compost against decks like Pox and Sui, but I have no experience with that...
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth'sWill View Post
    Sideboardchoices to add:

CotV 0 against Combo
    Rushwood Legate against Blue Stuff and LS

maybe Compost against decks like Pox and Sui, but I have no experience with that...
    I don't think we can help the combo matchup much even if we dedicated most of the sideboard for that matchup. If there's not a lot of combo in the meta, I'd just ignore it and if there is a lot of combo, Berserk Stompy is the wrong deck to play.
    I used to play Rushwood Legates, but I found them to be too weak to be worth the sideboard slot. A vanilla 2/1 just isn't enough in my opinion. I usually only run Vexing Shusher to help against blue. If the meta was very heavily blue, I might also consider Cold-Eyed Selkie. That card is a beast in some matchups.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

@Icapica

Well, they are options nevertheless...

Would you give up playing the deck if you thought you meta was too combo-ish? And what about if you don't know your meta? Isn't it easier packing some extra sb and try to win the post-board, and steal some wins with faster combo game 1? Even if your meta has too many combos, every single meta got lots of controls too.

Colonizer of Dreams

Aug 2009

btw you´re talking about a combo from time to time. cant figure out what you mean with that. does someone mind to explain me?

Quote Originally Posted by flrn View Post
    btw you´re talking about a combo from time to time. cant figure out what you mean with that. does someone mind to explain me?
    The "combo" of this deck is Berserking a dude up to around twenty power and breaking someone's face with it. It's not a combo in the traditional sense of the word, but it steals games just the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by flrn View Post
    Well, a Combo is a combination of effects on a chain, in which if it's not broke by some other effects, it wins you the game.

In our case, we combine a creature + pump effects + berserk to deal hard damage.

It's basic knowledge. If you like to know more about it, read the Articles.

EDIT:

Back to the Vines of Vastwood issue, my tests so far are not that awesome...
    While Bogle and Silhana do the job, VoV have been too hard to cast with full power.
    Even so it has helped once or twice, casted after bolts...

I'm using this config of pumping, without old krosa:
    4 zerks
    4 rancors
    4 invigorate
    3 seals
    4 VoV's

Why no old krosa? because i wanted the seal to be cast a turn before the combo, since I'm willing to use the extra mana for VoV... And it was just for the test sakes...
    Even though, i'm considering using like 2-of VoV, mixed with Krosas and Seals.
    Last edited by Gui; 10-02-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui_Brasil View Post
    @Icapica

Well, they are options nevertheless...

Would you give up playing the deck if you thought you meta was too combo-ish? And what about if you don't know your meta? Isn't it easier packing some extra sb and try to win the post-board, and steal some wins with faster combo game 1? Even if your meta has too many combos, every single meta got lots of controls too.
    I probably wouldn't give up, but that's just because I can't afford to build another deck at the moment. However, if I could afford that, I'd build another deck and I'd use it instead of stompy if I expected a lot of combo.
    I try to keep the stompy sideboard such that I have a decent match against everything but combo.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

...what does your Sideborad look like Icapica, and what do you guys think, is the best overall sideboard?
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Thread Information