Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2033

Thread: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

True Potential

Transform or Flip target nonland permanent. (Cards with Meld and Modal Dual-faced cards can't transform)

Blood Mine
    Land
    T: add
    Pay 3 life and return ~ to your hand: add

Mind Perforate - Sorcery
    BB
    Replicate: 1
    Target player reveals their hand and discards a card with the highest converted mana cost from it.

A mind is broken not by one calamity, but by a million inconveniences.

Mind twist is fine on a power level, but this solves the random problem and the land screw problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Mind Perforate - Sorcery
    BB
    Replicate: 1
    Target player reveals their hand and discards a card with the highest converted mana cost among cards from it.

A mind is broken not by one calamity, but by a million inconveniences.

Mind twist is fine on a power level, but this solves the random problem and the land screw problem.
    Structuring it with replicate does also mean that it's also more resistant to counters and it's better with stuff like cascade, and heavy discard is still a bit of a fun killer.

The replicate was primarily to keep the wording simple and make it cost BB for the first one instead of 1B or 2B.

But point taken. I think heavy discard is much more interesting than draw and free counters.

Sep 2011

Dodging counters makes this potentially very strong. Example: if they have FoW and you replicate once, you're guaranteed to take both FoW and their highest CMC card. Countering is pointless because then they lose FoW + blue card + next highest CMC card + 1 life, even worse. Spell Pierce/Daze just trades spots with a high CMC card instead of stopping the hand-slaughtering.

Multikicker 1 may be the mechanic you really want. "Then repeat for each time ~ was kicked."

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Dodging counters makes this potentially very strong. Example: if they have FoW and you replicate once, you're guaranteed to take both FoW and their highest CMC card. Countering is pointless because then they lose FoW + blue card + next highest CMC card + 1 life, even worse. Spell Pierce/Daze just trades spots with a high CMC card instead of stopping the hand-slaughtering.

Multikicker 1 may be the mechanic you really want. "Then repeat for each time ~ was kicked."
    Yah looking at
    Strength of Tajuru
    Torment of Hailfire

What you said would be better wording.

What if they started making creatures with Ward that allowed the controller to pay a "kicker" cost as an activated ability (as opposed to upon casting) that made the Ward more severe. For example:

Ward 2 + Ward-Kicker 2 (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that player pays 2. When you pay the Ward-Kicker, until the end of turn, instead whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that player pays 2 and discards a card).

This could make for some interesting gameplay. The permanent's controller would be incentivized to leave mana up to pay the Ward-Kicker if he believes removal is in hand. The opposing player would have additional decision-making considerations: will he pay the Ward-Kicker? Am I willing to pay the kicked cost?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    What if they started making creatures with Ward that allowed the controller to pay a "kicker" cost as an activated ability (as opposed to upon casting) that made the Ward more severe. For example:

Ward 2 + Ward-Kicker 2 (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that player pays 2. When you pay the Ward-Kicker, until the end of turn, instead whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that player pays 2 and discards a card).

This could make for some interesting gameplay. The permanent's controller would be incentivized to leave mana up to pay the Ward-Kicker if he believes removal is in hand. The opposing player would have additional decision-making considerations: will he pay the Ward-Kicker? Am I willing to pay the kicked cost?
    Hexproof is just more valuable than this, I think.

I don't mind if Ward scales but it should scale with the permanent, like as the mana value goes up just let Ward costs go up and then let the opponent decide out if the gate of they're gonna pay the increased cost. Making both players treat Ward as a chance to get reactive feels bad if you're the creature- player and you just want to curve out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Of course it is but hexpeoof is pretty awful from a gameplay perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post

I don't mind if Ward scales but it should scale with the permanent, like as the mana value goes up just let Ward costs go up and then let the opponent decide out if the gate of they're gonna pay the increased cost. Making both players treat Ward as a chance to get reactive feels bad if you're the creature- player and you just want to curve out.
    Ward is inherently a lesser form of Hexproof but the idea is that it's conditional and therefore provides more decision-points. This just builds upon that.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on the last sentence. If all you're doing is curving out, turning creatures sideways, and hoping to reduce your opponents life to zero that's not very interesting gameplay. IMO reactive play, deciding between multiple lines of play, and deciding when to "go for it" is the essence of what makes Magic a great game in the first place.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Oh I didn't realize this was Innistrad Standard Obligatory Shit Card Creation Thread my badt

I mean yes fundamentally it's stupid that we live in a society where one-mana Terminus deals with True Name Nemesis, I have a whole ideological issue with gaming of every stripe from TCGs to ARPGs to MOBAs to fucking Mario clone side-scrollers and how "can't effects" lead to game design dead-ends and super boring power creep, but if you're gonna take the Legacy meta and talk about fair mechanics you might as well just be real about what you're creating and slap the ability on a 2/2 for and watch it get played as often as every other protection bear that color has to offer.

Ehh...there's any number of ways to implement that mechanic on a Legacy playable creature. Legacy mostly plays creatures that are hate bears, generate value, or are under-costed beaters. Ward can be useful on all of those.

I just really like the design space of Ward and think there is a lot of depth for them to explore. Its a way better mechanic than Hexproof or Indestructible.

May 2015
    PDX

LOL Rod
    Artifact
    All creature cards in all zones are changeling in addition to other types.

Flavor:
    Gerrard: "But they could be anything!"
    Hannah: "No---they're everything."

[[parcel myr]]??

Line Myr - 1G
    Artifact Creature -- Myr Food
    2, T: Sacrifice Line Myr, gain 3 life.
    1/3

Myr Thoroughbred - 1B
    Artifact Creature -- Myr Blood
    1, Discard a card, T, Sacrifice Myr Thoroughbred: Draw a card.
    2/2

Gilded Myr - 1R
    Artifact Creature -- Myr Tresure
    T: Add one mana of any color.
    3/1

Myr Entity - 1W
    Artifact Creature -- Myr
    X: Each creature becomes an X/X Myr until end of turn.
    1/1

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

Neverending debate about duals and RL: What would you think about this?

a) Not always strictly worse than originals
    b) Not always strictly better than other two-color lands
    c) Encourages and rewards basics on both sides.
    My decks from real paper cards:

[Modern] Green Deathtouch
    [Vintage] Suicide Red
    [Casual Legacy] Blood Bats
    [Legacy] White Suspend Aggro Control

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Dwarf View Post
    Neverending debate about duals and RL: What would you think about this?

Trick question, it's unprintable as-is.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Trick question, it's unprintable as-is.
    Yeah this is exactly a dual land in formats where nonbasics are de rigeur. I doubt too too many decks would play more basics to fight or fuel this kind of card. On turn 1 it's literally a dual; at worst T1 on the draw against someone who played "basic land, go" and you crack a fetchland it's like playing a shockland (which is better than fetching a shock, by a mile)

There are so many times where this is just dual 5-8, it would never be printed without ETBT or something

One of the few angles I could see is to have duals which don't have both basic types but only one:

Swampy Island

Land - Island

{Minimal downside here}

T: Add B
    Gives you 20 possible combinations and gets more restrictive as you add colors because you can't just get everything from every fetch land.
    No real downside for 2 color decks so there should something that restricts them from just running duals.
    Maybe give them another subtype which prevents more than a certain number of them in play?

Fetchable half-pains?

Thread Information