Thread: Team Legacy???

Jul 2007
    syracuse

Team Legacy???

I've had some requests to change up the format with a team legacy tournament. It's been suggested 2 vs. 2, but not with the two-headed giant rules. Just 4 players playing in the same game with each player having a partner that can't be targeted by effects that hit opponents. Separate life totals and all that jazz.

Let me know what people think and if there is enough excitement I will come up with a tournament for it.

Bryant Cook

Re: Team Legacy???

Quote Originally Posted by T-ORGANIZER View Post
    I've had some requests to change up the format with a team legacy tournament. It's been suggested 2 vs. 2, but not with the two-headed giant rules. Just 4 players playing in the same game with each player having a partner that can't be targeted by effects that hit opponents. Separate life totals and all that jazz.

Let me know what people think and if there is enough excitement I will come up with a tournament for it.
    This was awesome when altered did it back in the day. But eventually the turnout was very poor compared to normal Legacy.

I may have been one of the only people to have run legacy 2HG. Was fun for the novelty, but obviously disgustingly busted.

I'm not familiar with how Altered did it, but the classic 3v3 unified construction team format might be fun too - and you could even still sanction that I think.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

This was awesome when altered did it back in the day.
    Yes it was. Casting AK and drawing 13 cards was awesome.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

It's a Trap!
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Solidarity was pretty good also....
    Team Sexy

Team E-Z Flo
    Rockin' in the free world.

Banned

Sep 2009
    In a cave.

Team Turbo Land? Let's do this!

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

I say do team games. One team vs another, with no limit on size. And the sizes don't have to match, so the bigger team gets more players.

Aug 2008
    Wilkes Barre

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    I say do team games. One team vs another, with no limit on size. And the sizes don't have to match, so the bigger team gets more players.
    That seems like a really bad idea. So a team of 3 has to take on a team of 7? How is that fair?
    Check out my Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
    Team Turbo Land? Let's do this!
    God will you stop with the Turbo land! The deck sucks

Trying to trade into power!!!
    Hit me up if you have any unlimited power that isn't creased. Maybe we can make a deal.

Jul 2007
    syracuse

I think a 2v2 will get insane enough with all the cards in legacy to choose from. This does sound fun though so I'll come up with a tournament for it soon to test the interest levels.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

I think it would be awesome to have a whole 2 vs 2 team tournament.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

I`m so in on this. I can`t wait to play

Trying to trade into power!!!
    Hit me up if you have any unlimited power that isn't creased. Maybe we can make a deal.

Banned

Sep 2009
    In a cave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pharmacist View Post
    God will you stop with the Turbo land! The deck sucks
    I know it sucks so bad I fucking own you and every deck you've ever made with it. True story.

On a side note I have some ideas for team decks we could run, that is if you want to be on my team? Geoff and Tariq are like married as far as teams go... You might be stuck with me. Me and you team "Disqualified Poster"?

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
    You might be stuck with me. Me and you team "Disqualified Poster"?
    Why would Phillips do that? Isn't the point of magic to win?

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

What a coincidence. Me and some friends just held the very first ADHD Team Challenge last Sunday, we had 42 attendants. The tournament was set up like the following:

First a sanctioned 7 round Swiss. The 4 teams with the most points get to play the play-offs (not sanctioned). In the play-offs, team 1 is paired versus team 4, team 2 vs. team 3. In the semi-finals, the players are paired randomly against eachother. The team with the most matches won goes to the finals. Here again random pairing, the team with the most matches won wins the Team Challenge.

A team consists of 3 players. Single players could join the Swiss, but couldn't get an invite to the play-offs.

However, members of certain teams can be paired against eachother like this. We're planning on doing the next Team Challenge non sanctioned, and use the Team Unified format for the pairings. This way, a teamless player cannot join.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I may have been one of the only people to have run legacy 2HG. Was fun for the novelty, but obviously disgustingly busted.

I'm not familiar with how Altered did it, but the classic 3v3 unified construction team format might be fun too - and you could even still sanction that I think.
    Yeah, I've also played 2HG Legacy. It's no fun. 1 player picks up combo, the other picks up heavy counterdeck. It's no use.

Unified Sanctioned could have the same problem: you can only use the same card max 4 times in all 3 decks. This does not reflect the format well, and people will resort to old combo decks since the chance of encountering FoW is only 33%. ANT, Solidarity and LEDless Ichorid could be a set-up, where ANT uses Serum Visions instead of Brainstorm. Still powerfull enough to win though. And I didn't even mention Belcher, SI or Cephalid Breakfast...
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

EPIC awesomeness
    Mar 2004
    Baldwinsville/Oswego, NY

The traditional Team Legacy format was actually sanctioned, I'm not sure if it would be anymore though.

You sat opposite your teammate, and played a 4 person game. The player that plays first does get to draw.

As for Bryant's comment, the team format was actually very popular for a long time. The reason it diminished before the rest of the Legacy tourneys was because you needed substantially more people to show up to get a decent tourney. For a regular Legacy event you needed 8 people, for teams you needed 16. I think for a regular weekly thing it might not get that many participants, but as a big tourney every few months I think it would be something that would get a lot of people to show up.
    EPIC Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.
    -My hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Agent View Post
    For some odd reason, I find shackles to be superb against creature oriented decks. Of course, the logic behind it is the sooner you can play and activate shackles the better. Although, shackles definitely has it's late game uses as well. It basically counts as a threat and a removal spell simultaneously which is relevant against "not quite shroud" creatures. Also, you should really be running a playset of engineered plagues against merfolks. They can dismantle tribal decks so run more of them.
    -I don't think this one was a joke...

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

That sounds like an adaptation on 2HG. 2 People, with Legacy decks playing together in the same game = hell. Don't do it.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Banned

Sep 2009
    In a cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Why would Phillips do that? Isn't the point of magic to win?
    He'd do that because I'm the only guy I know who had a partner quit before a round and took out 2 people alone. True story.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketrae21 View Post
    That seems like a really bad idea. So a team of 3 has to take on a team of 7? How is that fair?
    Because my team is huge, so it works out well for me.

Thread Information