Thread: [Deck] U/B/G Psychatog

[Deck] U/B/G Psychatog

So heres a deck that I have been working on for just a few weeks now, been play testing it on MWS, but no live testing yet. Please give input on card changes or anything of the like.

3x Goyf
    4x Tombstalker
    1x damnation
    1x life of the loam
    1x Engineered Explosives
    4x Accumulated Knowledge
    3x Perncious Deed
    4x FOW
    4x Daze
    3x Spell Snare
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Smother
    3x Intuition
    1x Ravens Crime
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Scalding Tarn
    2x Misty Rainforest
    3x Lonely Sandbar
    2x Underground Sea
    2x Wasteland
    4x Tropical Sea
    2x Swamp
    1x Island
    1x Volrath's Stronghold

Sideboard
    3x Extripate
    3x Stifle
    2x Krosan Grip
    4x Engineered Plague
    2x Vedalken Shackles
    1x Damnation
    Last edited by enthalpy; 12-01-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Jan 2009
    c'ville, va

Re: [Deck] U/B/G Psychatog

Isn't Tombstalker going to be almost always better than ye ol' Tog? He flies without Wonder, and he stays big without a continual investment of RFG'ing your graveyard. Tog's only plus is he can pitch to Force. I suppose it could be a different story if you had Cunning Wish + Berserk.

As far of the rest of the deck, you've obviously put some thought into the design, but I worry that you'll be fighting to stay afloat against fast aggro. One possibility would be to go 4 color, and splash for 4 Plowshares (see the deck It's the Fear). Darkblast isn't going to kill much besides Confidant, and i think I'd rather have Fact rather than AK, as it should always draw you 3 cards, rather than only after an Intuition+AK. You probably want at least one Engineered Explosives in there somewhere, and if so, an Academy Ruins, perhaps in the Factory slot.

I'd recommend doing a search on this board for UBG Tog or Dredge-a-Tog, there are a lot of old threads, it's just not played much anymore.

Oh, your fetchland config looks strange as well. Why not 4x Polluted Delta, plus 2x Misty Rainforest? Finding your basics reliably should be more of a concern than Extirpate protection, which I don't think is much of a problem at all really.

I think I might cut 1x darkblast, the eternal witness slot, and the factory, for 2x wasteland 1x academy,and maybe drop 1 smother for 1x EE, I think that tightens up the deck a lot, and sacing a smother for an EE seems right.

I will consider putting tombstalker stead of psychatog, but I really want to bring back psychatog lol.... I know... its a problem, I totally see tombstalker being o, so much better than tog...

I feel FoF is just to slow... having 4mana is really tough... whereas I can AK early, and still draw 4 later... idk its just more versatile I think. and I dont really think I need swords, I can see your point, but splashing a 4th seems super risky, and might just wreak the deck. But definitely doing the above.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Dude with loam and intuition, run a singleton of Raven's Crime. Its tech with loam and you can find all of them with intuition.

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

Hi!
    I've been testing a Psychatog Deck in legacy and searchd for an existing thread to again develop the deck...
    I know there are better creatures but I also believe there are lot of new good cards that fits in UBG tog.
    below I post my new testing Psychatog list:

V.1.6 UBG Psychatog Deck
    // Lands
    3 [10E] Island (2)
    4 [JGC] Polluted Delta
    3 [U] Underground Sea
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 [R] Tropical Island
    1 [IN] Swamp (2)
    3 [CMD] Lonely Sandbar
    1 [TE] Wasteland
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [OD] Cabal Pit

// Creatures
    2 [OD] Psychatog
    2 [PTR] Snapcaster Mage
    4 [C16] Baleful Strix

// Spells
    3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [CMD] Brainstorm
    3 [JGC] Cunning Wish
    3 [TE] Intuition
    1 [DDJ] Life from the Loam
    2 [IA] Counterspell
    2 [MPS] Thoughtseize
    2 [TE] Diabolic Edict
    4 [AER] Fatal Push

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 [TE] Intuition
    SB: 2 [ARE] Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 [TE] Corpse Dance
    SB: 3 [FBP] Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 [V09] Berserk
    SB: 1 Research/Development
    SB: 1 [M14] golgari charm
    SB: 1 [THS] Hero's Downfall

V.1.5: -1 naturalize = +1 golgari charm - side
    V.1.6: -1 Underground Sea = +1 Creeping Tar Pit

Comments and opiniopns about this are welcome (not the ones that say: just play other creature.)
    Last edited by Pelikanudo; 12-26-2017 at 06:17 AM.
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build
    Yes, I am advanced and you know it...

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

If you're gonna use loam + cycle land or loam + ravens crime you should lean more towards the black cycle land imo, and find a place for a single urborg tomb of yagmoth.

I also think deathrite shaman and maybe even a white splash for lingering soils could prove useful, though the splash becomes easier with deathrite.

I'd also consider running one sylvan library for card selection and card advantage.

May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
    If you're gonna use loam + cycle land or loam + ravens crime you should lean more towards the black cycle land imo, and find a place for a single urborg tomb of yagmoth.

I also think deathrite shaman and maybe even a white splash for lingering soils could prove useful, though the splash becomes easier with deathrite.

I'd also consider running one sylvan library for card selection and card advantage.
    Ive thought in adding ravens but to the side.
    The issue about adding more cards is the space in base. Whixh cards do you prpose to take out instead of what cards?
    About silvan the main draw engine is intuition and next cunning. But i thought in substituting intuition in side for a fact or fiction unequily because of having a diff draw engine rather than loam. But i want to focus on loam engine thats why there are lots of anti DRS and research devwlpmnt. Still dont know how it will work post side with surgical... thats another reason of why so many discard also...
    Apart balefull i feel like a necessary evil card in here..
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

Suggestion: Play Magic as a Hobby. Competitiveness is uniquely usefull in this Era and just to evolve the human being to a certain extent...

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I build this off and on too. Berserk is the big card I find.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    I build this off and on too. Berserk is the big card I find.
    Agree and corpse dance too!
    Great! I would love you to be involved on this! Please share you thoughts / reasonings and / or your build.
    (Sorry i abandoned parfait...)
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Parfait forgives.

Build wise I tend to go the old gro-atog route. This difference is that with cards like abrupt decay you need an alternate plan. I still like the cunning wish main plan as there are some cards you don't want to see until you need to.

With cards like deathrite and tarmogoyf tog almost always gets pushed to the wayside. And that's the real issue. So going in you need to decide is tog a main plan or secondary. I find that I may want it main, but there are just better options. As a main plan I find the deck looks like a DRS, bob-atog control deck. As a secondary you get you're generic Goodstuff BUG.

As an aside, unearth was my jam in the deck.

Well food for thought. I haven't had the urge to tog in a while but I loved quirion dryad/tog so that's usually where I start.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    Parfait forgives.
    the issue i have is that by now you cannot build Parfait like in old era, now there are lot of answers to our silver bullets or diff creatures tha evade our silver bullets - now you need to play full copies of wrath instead of humility / Moat as example of what i mean. now there is DRS and low mana curve decks which invalidates L.T. or vial... also A.D. is a shit of card for this deck. but at some point I'll play it again as there is always the perfect puzzle!

Build wise I tend to go the old gro-atog route. This difference is that with cards like abrupt decay you need an alternate plan. I still like the cunning wish main plan as there are some cards you don't want to see until you need to.

that's why I build the deck with 5 discard effects but by the moment I'd like to focus only in Tog (surgical my to don't mind I have R/Develpopment!) - in testing most of the times the kill go through Corpse Danze > Tog and before tons of turns occurred to stablish the board... I'd like to play up to 3 Tog but that is not a good card to have in opening as you say... I believe 2 is a decent number but again you cannot Intuition for Tog however you can intuitio for Cunning or 2Tog1Cunning.
    One thing I've thought is in adding a singleton Creeping Tar Pit instead of U. Sea - I'll try this!
    I don't think the Gro-a-tog route is good enough simply because there are better agro decks and by going the gro-a-tog route you'll need to play cards like N.Whispers - maybe Mox diamond and these are not good enough to face a grixis agro as example... I'll see how the Control approach works via stablishing the board and next killing. 8 antibears 5 discard should be enough to handle DRS. there is also Balefull (as more defense) and Cunning (for more antibears)

With cards like deathrite and tarmogoyf tog almost always gets pushed to the wayside.
    And that's the real issue. So going in you need to decide is tog a main plan or secondary.
    I find that I may want it main, but there are just better options. As a main plan I find the deck looks like a DRS, bob-atog control deck. As a secondary you get you're generic Goodstuff BUG.

Sure I decided it is a main plan!
    Well I tend to think backwards- I mean Tog activations avoid DRS so great! and also lowers Tarmo!

As an aside, unearth was my jam in the deck.

I prefer Corpse dance in side - unearth is good to recoup better creatures like baleful / snap / leovold - cards I just won't play or play in a low number.

Well food for thought. I haven't had the urge to tog in a while but I loved quirion dryad/tog so that's usually where I start.

yeah! I loved that build too... hope sometime Gush is unbannedbut don't think so. my last approach consisted on D.C. and N.W. and discard / dazes and M.Diamond. but then normal Agro surpased me...
    My Parfait Build
    My Psychatog Build

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

My parfait build hasn't changed since tax was unbanned

By groatog I do mean the dryad plan. It would actually run closer to a delver deck. You play tempo and stuff gets bigger just by playing the game. This would have to become the new control deck which delver decks prove in concept. Plus we don't have to play 10 lands now even with brainstorm, ponder, preordained, etc.

No nights whisper. The deck should be blue main.
    I played unearth main with careful study.
    You shouldn't need ramp.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Thread Information