Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Tarmogoyf Drop in $ After The Extended PTQ?

Magic Player Decapitator
    Nov 2009

Will Tarmogoyf Drop in $ After The Extended PTQ?

The Legacy favorite Tarmogoyf has been flucuating in price ever since it was printed. The price of the card pretty much stabilized at $35-$40 for almost a year, and then the Extended PTQ changed all of that. Now you'd be lucky to get a Goyf for $60 dollars. I don't have an economics major, but is there a chance that Goyf will stay at $60 in a "plateaued" state or will it plummet back to $40 after the PTQ? I've seen phenomenons in the past where a card didn't go down in price after a certain event. Hopefully Goyfy won't suffer the same fate. I'd like to hear some of your guesses on how this card's value will turn out in the immediate future as well as long term if you wish to share that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Buying duals for 30 a piece is certainly smart. Buying 4 Eureka (a terrible card) is not. :/

Knowing what to buy is just as impo as knowing when to buy.

Re: Will Tarmogoyf Drop in $ After The Extended PTQ?

Odds are it won't go back down to its lowest moment, if SCG and WotC's efforts to make Legacy bigger work out the way we hopefully want them to. Somewhere around 40 seems like an obvious place to stabilize. Especially as long as it's Extended legal.

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA

Goyf is used in extended and legacy. The demand is very high right now. We probably won't see goyf drop below $40 until it rotate out of extended. I am thankful I got my set for $100 last Christmas.

Brony and Proud
    Oct 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

Like a lot of cards, price is probably fluctuate based on the season. During Extended season, Tarmogoyf will increase in value. During Standard and Limited season, it will drop.

Unless some major support for Legacy comes out, it probably won't stay high outside of Extended season.
    Don't Hate the Herd

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    Like a lot of cards, price is probably fluctuate based on the season. During Extended season, Tarmogoyf will increase in value. During Standard and Limited season, it will drop.

Unless some major support for Legacy comes out, it probably won't stay high outside of Extended season.
    But the trouble is that even niche cards like Grindstone and Dreadnought see $20 and $30 price tags, so I think a card as ubiquitous as Tarmogoyf has little chance of going down in price, regardless of the season.

Also, prices usually jump quickly, but rarely drop quickly. Even when a card's popularity begins to wane, people are reticent to let them go for less than the plateaued price.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by hyc8028 View Post
    Goyf is used in extended and legacy. The demand is very high right now. We probably won't see goyf drop below $40 until it rotate out of extended. I am thankful I got my set for $100 last Christmas.
    I'm thankful to get my five english foil for $5 each and three Chinese Foil for $14 each. Ohhh the memories. Now all I've got left are 7 english, nonfoil. Maybe I'll sell three of them while they're up so high.

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta View Post
    I'm thankful to get my five english foil for $5 each and three Chinese Foil for $14 each. Ohhh the memories. Now all I've got left are 7 english, nonfoil. Maybe I'll sell three of them while they're up so high.
    I suggest you hold on to them for now since that it is still legal for couple more extended season. There is still room for the price to rise.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

I really doubt Tarmogoyfs will go down in price, only a ban would give price reduction.

He will still be played in Legacy and some Vintage decks even after they leave extended.

Jun 2006
    Germany

No.

Pretty glad I bought 4 for 91 dollars a year ago.

I don't think its coming back down to that level anytime soon.

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

Guys,

Everybody here knows about "i got my goys for 5 bucks a playset" stories. So just try not to make this thread a complete waste of time.

As how the price will go, I think it will go down to 40$ after extended and will maintain this price for ever, as it's the best Legacy staples and a good Vintage one also.

P-M

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Well, as long as the Dollar keeps dropping in value, I'd say a Tarmogoyf is a pretty good investment

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

My guess 40-50 USD

After extended rotation 35-45.

If FoW (a card this is 10 years older than goyf) is still ~$30 and is played VERY heavily in both Vintage and Legacy then I can't think Mr. Goyf will be that much higher once he rotates.

Oh, and if you are worried about paying 60+ Troll and Toad has 3 NM ones for $55.

EDIT: I will add that I took into account that FOW is an uncommon.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    My guess 40-50 USD

After extended rotation 35-45.

If FoW (a card this is 10 years older than goyf) is still ~$30 and is played VERY heavily in both Vintage and Legacy then I can't think Mr. Goyf will be that much higher once he rotates.

Oh, and if you are worried about paying 60+ Troll and Toad has 3 NM ones for $55.

EDIT: I will add that I took into account that FOW is an uncommon.
    I bet even as an Alliances uncommon it has fewer in circulation than Goyf, particularly considering how many languages he's printed in, plus foils.

I just can't ever get my head around how an Extended staple is $60.

Edit: looking at MOTL prices, Goyf is $42 and FoW is at $24. Sadly, Mana Drain has fallen to $80. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    Then you're gonna love the Standard-legal $55!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

I bet even as an Alliances uncommon it has fewer in circulation than Goyf, particularly considering how many languages he's printed in, plus foils.

Edit: looking at MOTL prices, Goyf is $42 and FoW is at $24. Sadly, Mana Drain has fallen to $80. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    Tabernacle is $125. Oh, unfinished Terrageddon deck; how I loathe you and your money-draining ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Sadly, Mana Drain has fallen to $80. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    That factors in Italian ones as well. I can guarantee you an English one goes for more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

You guys don't really know much about the secondary market for cards, huh?

To begin with, Tarmogoyf isn't really a $60 card currently, so I don't know where you're getting your information from. Just because an online store like SCG might charge that much for it doesn't mean that is the price of the card. The average or 'street' price is closer to $40-44 dollars right now.

Regarding the original poster's question, Tarmogoyf will likely stay around $40 even after the current Extended PTQ season, and will stay at that price point (give or take a couple of bucks) until it rotates out of Extended for good (October 2013). Once that happens it will likely drop down to $15-20 max (unless the US currency is extremely devalued in the next 4 years, in which case you'll likely have greater problems than finding cheap Tarmogoyfs).
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Magic Player Decapitator
    Nov 2009

I know this sounds like a stupid question but I'm too lazy to research it, but does anyone know when Extended season is over? I want to set a date to pick up another playset after getting rid of my current one a month ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Buying duals for 30 a piece is certainly smart. Buying 4 Eureka (a terrible card) is not. :/

Knowing what to buy is just as impo as knowing when to buy.

Thread Information