brasil

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] User Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    Not exactly. If you compare this:

• [DTB] Vial Goblins

with:

• [DTB] Vial Boblins
      • Top 8 decklists
      • Required Reading (articles about Goblins)
      • FAQ
      • B/R Goblins
      • W/R Goblins
      • Sideboard Help

etc.

Someone suggest this good idea not too long ago. but then nihl credo said some stupid response and just lock the thread. it seemed like a good idea , but then was not taken serious. maybe this is why all the adept has left.

Hey, about that user reputation thing. It really does not work any better than the "crowning your pals adepts" system we have had for years. I have spoken to a few people on this site about it, and I have more use reputation points than people who are far more knowledgeable/relevant than myself, and make more intelligent posts. This suggests that the mods have simply been issuing points based on who they like and subtracting points from people they don't. And since apparently only mods are intelligent enough to have an opinion - voilla - same shit, different packaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    Writing Skills

...use coherent grammar and sentence structure; and spell your words correctly. Simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverPetriDish View Post
    Hey, about that user reputation thing. It really does not work any better than the "crowning your pals adepts" system we have had for years. I have spoken to a few people on this site about it, and I have more use reputation points than people who are far more knowledgeable/relevant than myself, and make more intelligent posts. This suggests that the mods have simply been issuing points based on who they like and subtracting points from people they don't. And since apparently only mods are intelligent enough to have an opinion - voilla - same shit, different packaging.
    Well, in theory, mods and Adepts aren't the only ones who can give out points; they just give out more. However, in practice it seems like most of the regular users on the site either don't know or don't care about the rep system, so you tend to only get points for amusing but largely worthless posts and don't get points for posts you put more time into thinking about than typing.

The system isn't great, but it's not like being an Adept is anything special either. People who take the time to read around the site should be able to figure out who is worth listening to for particular topics/decks fairly quickly (many of whom aren't actually Adepts).

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Well, in theory, mods and Adepts aren't the only ones who can give out points; they just give out more.
    Who else can give points? As far as I know, Nightmare only gave these rights to Staff and Adepts to begin with.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Who gives a fuck? So many people are butt hurt about not being "Adepts", but it doesn't fucking matter. No one just goes through a thread looking for the teal blue users and only read those. If you actually care about being an Adept you should worry about your real life more.

And about IBA getting banned and unbanned. Again, who gives a fuck? He has contributed a lot to the format and just because he gets special privileges on this forum doesn't mean its favortism. It's because he actually makes intelligent posts and that's what is trying to be promoted on this site.

Basically, this is a Magic forum and people are caring too much about popularity.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Think what you want, but as far as I know, only two people made ´promotion´ in the last half year (or how long was it): hi-val and 4eak. Adept/mod status may not say alot, but the fact that these guys were the only ones promoted says alot about them. Not that we didn't already know that, but that's besides the point
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Who gives a fuck?

Apparently, you do
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I'm not the only person to ever be unbanned. However, I think you're much mistaken if you think the Source operates like a Court of Appeals. The Source is a privately owned and operated establishment. Like all such, it has the right to kick out or retain visitors as it sees fit, and interpret its own rules any way it sees fit. And a privately owned pub is more likely to ban an idiot that has started up fights with the employees multiple times in his first few visits than a guy who's been coming regularly for years, contributed to the scene, and occasionally flips out and turns people to stone with his magical bear breath because they were fucking asking for it, right?
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    What they do on Salv is each deck gets its own forum. That seems cool, but might be a coding nightmare, I have no idea.
    that is ONLY true of the Standard Proven Competitive Forums. There are just too many decks in the Tier 1 category of Legacy to reliably do that on this forum even if they use a similar software on this forum and could theoretically pull it off. Additionally it is indeed a moderating nightmare, and they have like 5 dedicated Moderators to the Standard Forum alone.

As far as the idea of making seperate threads for the Decks to beat and placing them in a "Hidden Forum" that is linked to by the Main Thread. That doesn't work from what I understand based on vBulletin as anyone who does not have access to that hidden forum will be unable to view those hidden threads even with them being linked in the main thread.

@ Skeggi, actually I have seen several people with varrying user status's above the basic starting status (and even more with lower status's) So yes, other people have been promoted. Maybe not directly up to Adept level, but promotions have been happening.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by DalkonCledwin View Post
    @ Skeggi, actually I have seen several people with varrying user status's above the basic starting status (and even more with lower status's) So yes, other people have been promoted. Maybe not directly up to Adept level, but promotions have been happening.
    That's just reputation, that's not real promotion. Reputation is a tool to keep in check who's talking only nonsense. Inspired by Magic Fanatic's fantastic fantasy stories if I recall correctly. So if you see someone with a red rectangle, it just means he has been making rather rediculous posts. The way I see it, reputation is implemented as a device to upgrade post quality. Not as a way to promote or demote people.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    That's just reputation, that's not real promotion. Reputation is a tool to keep in check who's talking only nonsense. Inspired by Magic Fanatic's fantastic fantasy stories if I recall correctly. So if you see someone with a red rectangle, it just means he has been making rather rediculous posts. The way I see it, reputation is implemented as a device to upgrade post quality. Not as a way to promote or demote people.
    yet that is exactly what it is being used to do (Promote people).

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by DalkonCledwin View Post
    that is ONLY true of the Standard Proven Competitive Forums. There are just too many decks in the Tier 1 category of Legacy to reliably do that on this forum even if they use a similar software on this forum and could theoretically pull it off. Additionally it is indeed a moderating nightmare, and they have like 5 dedicated Moderators to the Standard Forum alone.

As far as the idea of making seperate threads for the Decks to beat and placing them in a "Hidden Forum" that is linked to by the Main Thread. That doesn't work from what I understand based on vBulletin as anyone who does not have access to that hidden forum will be unable to view those hidden threads even with them being linked in the main thread.

Nah, you can do it. Like you can read this thread, even though it's in the hidden TIBABSISAATW forum.

Also, true story; the last meaningful thing the Adepts did was have a very long argument about whether or not the Adepts served any useful purpose. And the result was ambivalent at best. As far as I can recall the concept of User Reputation arose out of that discussion as a way to sort of replace the same function more democratically.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

You're telling me that little green bar I worked so hard for over the last year has been completely stripped from me? But... how do people know how awesome I am now? My forum life is being stripped away!

People need to know how I am "Here to learn, and help others learn."!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    You're telling me that little green bar I worked so hard for over the last year has been completely stripped from me? But... how do people know how awesome I am now? My forum life is being stripped away!

People need to know how I am "Here to learn, and help others learn."!
    lol newb u cared about rep

Clearly, cool kids like Pastorofmuppets and Jak. didn't, so now the mods have decided to get rid of the system. Cry sum moar.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    ...cool kid... Jak.
    I like

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

So no more adepts it seems? Everyone has lost their colors unless they were admins.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Seems to be the case. I personally think it's just fine, now people can just start judging posts for their content.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Thread Information