Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [EDH] Momir Vig, Elfball Engine Visionary

Re: [EDH] Momir Vig, Elfball Engine Visionary

Thanks. I haven't been playing it at all lately, mostly because I'm still missing a bunch of cards for it and don't like mucking around with proxies, but also partly because I happen to like my Vorosh deck a little more.

I like the Rocket Launcher idea, but Goblin Cannon seems better because it doesn't have that weird quasi-summoning sickness Rocket Launcher has.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 04-03-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Oh yeah, Goblin Cannon does play better. I just love dusting off old Antiquities stuff, though. I'm still missing a few pieces and I've been experimenting with substitutes. I have Sprouting Vines in there, but I'm not smart enough to figure out if there's an good use for it. Enshrined Memories is also another draw tool for back up.

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    I have Sprouting Vines in there, but I'm not smart enough to figure out if there's an good use for it.
    Windfall? There's also Nostalgic Dreams, Turbulent Dreams, and Mind Over Matter.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Did I mention Sprout Swarm? That plays oh so well with a few creatures and Intruder Alarm.

Sleight of Mind effects are pretty busted if your creature base favors a color.

OP updated. Joraga Treespeaker is pretty nutty.

EDIT: I'd like Monument to be Akroma's Memorial, but I'd have to find one of those first.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I'm planning on building this EDH. How does it do on FFA multiplayer games?

Also, any updates on the list?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Haven't played this deck since last May, so no. What's FFA?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Haven't played this deck since last May, so no. What's FFA?
    Free For All.

I'm going to build this deck because Survivals are cheaper now, and Green has been getting a lot of love from MBS. Green Sun's Zenith has EDH written all over it. Lead the Stampede sounds like an okay card too (if it can fit in this deck)

Quote Originally Posted by Lead the Stampede
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Well...

In FFA, you tend to be a target because of Momir's reputation. If you play a bunch of mana elves, you'll be seen as a threat; if you play Momir and pass, you'll be seen as a huge threat. The other issue is that this deck is less consistent than something like storm combo because of the need to find one (or preferably more) of your draw engines before going off. The deck needs Skullclamp plus that two mana elf that makes insects (since the insects are immune to your lords, you can Clamp them with abandon).

The other issue is that the deck is actually kind of creature light for what it wants to do. Keeping Momir alive while going off is a monumental task, so more often than not you need to be able to chain elves together without getting to tutor for them via your general. That means the deck could use a higher creature count than it has, but importantly the creatures need to be cheap for mana efficiency reasons. There aren't a lot of cheap elves that actually do something (I mean, you could run stuff like Norwood Ranger if you really wanted), and this deck runs almost all of them. I would not include Lead the Stampede because you'd be better served by just running more guys (like the Elf version of Goblin Ringleader - Sylvan Messenger or something?), and Green Sun's Zenith probably replaces Chord of Calling.

Going off of the list above, you drop Nissa, Chord of Calling, and Restock and run the Elf Ringleader, GSZ, and another mana elf. You can also probably cut a forest for a Land Grant. I really wish there were more cards like Mana Severance because drawing lands while going off is the most common route to fizzling (assuming your general doesn't stick). Alternately, you run Elf Ringleader, GSZ, and the insect-making Elf guy, and cut a Summoner's Pact for a Skullclamp. I'd also cut a Chameleon Colossus for a Fauna Shaman.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Have you ever done aggro first then combo late game?

Also I would like to point out Spellsharer. He can help with a lot of combo surrounding elves.

Combo One: Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel + Shapesharer: Use SS to copy Sentinel and do it like combo elves.

Combo Two: Ezuri + Devoted Druid + Shapesharer: Turn SS into DD and keep using DD and copy's mana+untap ability to feed Ezuri's Overrun ability. Your DD and copy won't die as they will just keep getting +3/+3 from Ezuri (and the rest of your elves), even if their untap clause is giving them -1/-1.

Norwood Priests and Elvish Piper are good too if you have massive creatures to cheat into play.

Hopefully I can brainstorm enough ideas to justify myself of building this EDH.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Have you ever done aggro first then combo late game?
    No, because you spend most of the game with a team full of shitty 1/1 dorks. If you want to go aggro, the creatures for that (a) aren't Elves, (b) don't overlap with a combo plan, and (c) push the deck in much more of a ramp/big mana direction.

Also I would like to point out Spellsharer. He can help with a lot of combo surrounding elves.

Combo One: Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel + Shapesharer: Use SS to copy Sentinel and do it like combo elves.

Combo Two: Ezuri + Devoted Druid + Shapesharer: Turn SS into DD and keep using DD and copy's mana+untap ability to feed Ezuri's Overrun ability. Your DD and copy won't die as they will just keep getting +3/+3 from Ezuri (and the rest of your elves), even if their untap clause is giving them -1/-1.
    The issue with Sharer is that it's blue, and you don't have much blue in this deck. That's actually a huge issue because you basically just want blue for your general and Mana Severance (or Mystical Tutor for a spell), and after that you need a lot of green to keep chaining creatures. I realize that it's usually just a blue up-front and then a blue to activate it, but still, I'd rather not run blue at all.

Norwood Priests and Elvish Piper are good too if you have massive creatures to cheat into play.

Hopefully I can brainstorm enough ideas to justify myself of building this EDH.
    Well, I mean, it's Vig, so you can take it one of two ways: it's either a deck full of utility creatures where Vig is an analog to Survival, or it's a combo deck where Vig is an engine that keeps the combo going. Those two plans overlap less than you might think at first glance. If you want to add some top-end fat, that's fine, but you don't need Piper or Priest since you can make a ton of mana off of your Elves. If you're cutting mana elves for fat, you can basically kiss a combo kill goodbye unless it involves making Blightsteel every game.

It's a fun deck, but I haven't run it in a while because I've switched back to storm as my non-interactive win of choice.

I decided to put this deck back together because I was looking for something interesting to play for EDH and revisited a couple of my old ideas. The list in the OP is what I would consider putting together if I were to play this deck tomorrow.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

This deck is sick. Will probably make something very similar for my next deck!
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

It's not blazingly fast or anything - I'd say it's a fairly consistent turn six or seven deck in multiplayer if you're not facing multiple Wraths. But it is certainly fun, and it looks innocuous enough until you go off.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    It's not blazingly fast or anything - I'd say it's a fairly consistent turn six or seven deck in multiplayer if you're not facing multiple Wraths. But it is certainly fun, and it looks innocuous enough until you go off.
    Well, I meant 'sick' as in exactly what I was looking for :)
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

Would Edric, Spymaster of Trest be a better general? You can play him on your combo turn to draw extra cards and continue to go off if you don't have everything already.

Quote Originally Posted by 264505 View Post
    Would Edric, Spymaster of Trest be a better general? You can play him on your combo turn to draw extra cards and continue to go off if you don't have everything already.
    With the "draw a card when you play a creature" spells, Momir is essentially a Demonic Tutor for creatures (so I guess Eladamri's Call). This deck also doesn't tend to attack too much before its combo turn; when you attack, you want to attack for many times lethal thanks to huge Ezuris or Joraga Warcallers. I could see adding Edric to the main, but I don't know what he's better than right now. Possibly Yeva? I'll have to think about it.

Thread Information