Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: [Paranoia] Is U/B Reanimator the best deck in the format?

Team Nijmegen Failtrain Captain
    Nov 2009
    Nijmegen, Netherlands

Re: [Paranoia] Is U/B Reanimator the best deck in the format?

It'll have a hard time against it, but it does stand a fair chance of getting there.
    Iona, is useless, but sphinx of the steel wind and blazing archon are not.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Amount of sideboard options won't make a deck less broken. Every deck in this format is got badmatchs. If everyone has to side-in solutions against a deck (meaning it's never a goodmatch), that's proof enough that the deck is broken.

That said, I don't think this deck is broken. In my opinion it's just a very consistant deck with an optimal list. Aggro have to deal with combo since the beggining, and so Zoo and his fellow aggro will always have some problems with Reanimator. ANT is another combo, faster with less protection, and can win against Reanimator. Combo-control decks tends to have problematic matchups against more controllish decks, and thus, control shall appear to show it's strenght, via Counterbalance+TOP, Standstill, and so on...
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Paranoia is right in my opinion. Oh noez it won 2 big tournaments. How many zoo decks were in Madrid? Is it a good deck, yes. In fact I've thought that reanimator might win the Madrid GP for months but I don't think anyone remembers me saying that.

IMO the metagame has to adapt because this deck is for real. However, I don't think an aggro control deck or a highly disruptive deck needs to do more than go back to crypt/relic instead of playing Ravenous Trap in the board and they are certainly back on even footing. I don't feel this is a deck that everyone and their brother should run out and make if they already have a highly competitive deck (this is not Flash).

What I find somewhat disconcerting is the doubling of the price on Entomb after the win, but I'll point to the price of dreamhalls dropping way below $10 on ebay after it hasn't placed in a while. While I never thought that Dream Halls was all that good of a deck I do believe Reanimator is a contender. However, $45 entombs on SCG...no thank you I'll wait for the theoretical reprints or the hype to die.

random scrub

Sep 2004
    Costa La Haya

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
    Since Vial was mentioned and just racing their creature was discussed. Could Vial Affinity actually fight through it? With Cranial Plating, a Big Master of Etherium, and a combo-esqe finish with ravager disciple... I'm curious. I've stopped playing Affinity ever since M10, but if Reanimator does get popular, I was wondering if it's a good choice to combat it.
    I think tutorable Hurkyl's recall is strong against Affinity.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Can't Reanimate be used against them? It's cheap for the low cost of and black is the color of creature kill and discard. Why not steal your opponents' stuff? With the trend towards extremely cost-efficient creatures or cheating fatties into play, isn't it worth considering? Especially if you back it up with your own, cheap creatures like Goyf which you can get back as long as they didn't get StP/PtE'ed.

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Can't Reanimate be used against them? It's cheap for the low cost of and black is the color of creature kill and discard. Why not steal your opponents' stuff? With the trend towards extremely cost-efficient creatures or cheating fatties into play, isn't it worth considering? Especially if you back it up with your own, cheap creatures like Goyf which you can get back as long as they didn't get StP/PtE'ed.
    In my own home-brew WBG Goyf Control deck, I played 3 Reanimates maindeck. Most of the time to get back my goyfs (or the ones of my opponent when I killed them), but I've been pulling all sorts of stuff from my opponents grave. Keep in mind this was right after the printing of Future Sight, so we didn't even have Thoughtseize yet, but even then I almost always had a target for a top decked Reanimate.

Ask White_Ghost how he felt when he blew up his board for a Razormane (Crystal Veins) which met a Grip and Reanimate in an online tournament :)

Now, when we see more reanimator being played, and with decks like bant playing Iona, I see a lot more potential for this strategy, I've always wondered why people didn't play it outside of Reanimator.

People play lots of fun creatures (and get them killed), in the few months I played the deck, I've pulled out graves (not limited to): both Akromas, Razormane Masticore, Goblin Welders, Goyf, Mystic Enforcer, Mother of Runes, Exalted Angel, Terravore, Goblin Shapshooter, Mongose, Dark Confidant, Birds of Paradise, Eternal Dragon and lots of other stuff. Hell, I even once reanimated a Kobolts of Kerr Keep when I needed a chumpblock for the win (which is an awesome play when people are watching you btw, earns you lots of style points). I simply used the 3 reanimates in my deck as creature 11-13, but with the added benefit it's a flexible spot, so you can adjust it to the gamestate.

When building a deck with packs black, I would always try to fit in some Reanimates, it's that good (if you like to take advise from a guy who swears on versility over consistency in deck design. However, to quote my favored all time writer: "Consistency is the defense of a small mind" - David Eddings)
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Can't Reanimate be used against them?
    Biggest downside is that Entomb is an instant. If your opponent suspects it, you'll never get their dude; even if they don't suspect it, you probably won't get a shot at their Iona.

Reanimate does grab Goyfs for one mana and two life, so that's probably fine if you have countermagic or non-StP removal.
    InfoNinjas

Yeah, I think every Sui Black or Eva Green variant should play a couple of Reanimate alongside Thoughtseize and other Removal. They're awesome.

Thread Information